Carrot Cranberry Prune Cake

Had some leftover homemade cranberry sauce, prunes and a box of carrot cake mix and decided to get creative! It turned out delicious! You can also make cranberry upside down cake, or mix the cream cheese and cranberry together and put into muffins. If you use chocolate cake, skip the prunes.

• 1 box carrot cake mix (or spice cake or any kind of cake you like)
  • 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce (or more)
  • 10 prunes
  • 1 - 2 tsp. flour
  • 2 - 8 oz. boxes cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk (approximately)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (or 325 if using dark pans). Chop prunes (or dried apricots or other fruit). Mix with a bit of flour so they don't congregate at the bottom of the cake mix. Add to cake mix. Bake the cake.

Mix cream cheese with sugar and enough milk to make it thin enough to frost the cake with.

When cake cools, cut in half. Spread cranberry sauce then top with 1/2 of the cream cheese mixture. Put the other half of the cake on top. Spread with cranberry sauce and then frost with the rest of the cream cheese mixture.

Servings: 8-10
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes

By LINDA ROLINSKI from Eustis, FL

I also had some leftover flaked coconut, so I toasted that & sprinkled that in the middle & on top. Also forgot to add that with all box cake mixes; if it asks for 2 eggs always add 4 & if it asks for 3 eggs always add 5. It's so much more moist that way!

How fantastic. My mother sent me a huge bag of prunes and I am tired of eating them plain. I'm using this recipe this week!