Cooking TipsFood Tips

Use Cereal Liners in the Kitchen

Recycle your cereal box (bags) inserts. They come in very handy. Use them as freezer bags, storage bags, mini trash bags, or any other purpose that you would use a freezer or storage bag for. They are heavy duty, easy to see through, and best of all, they are FREE! Try it, you will like it!

By jg2851 from Shepherd, MI

Cereal bag liners keep lettuce, celery and carrots fresher longer.

Yep, I use cereal bags in the freezer and they are nice. They are a nice thickness to keep things fresh!

Amen, wish I had sent this in. I love these bags, they do all everyone has mentioned and more and already paid for!

Love this idea! I use them after I make chex mix homemade (or the generic/store brand of chex mix). Its much better homemade. Use the leftover cereal bags to store the finished mix, keeps it very fresh!

How would you use them in the freezer and for storage when they don't close? Do you put them into another zip lock bag to seal them and keep the food from getting freezer burn? Lynne

I use cereal box liners to make hamburger patties. It cuts down on the mess and, unlike wax paper or plastic wrap, it rarely tears. I've even taken the bags & cut them into squares to place between patties to freeze them.

Cereal bags are just the best. As everyone else has stated here, they have so many uses, and it only takes wrapping the food in plastic wrap or foil, then popping it into a cereal bag with some Scotch tape to seal it securely. Your food
is perfectly protected and preserved in the freezer.

If you're using them to store anything outside the freezer, just a clothespin keeps them closed securely.

This may not be a new idea, but it's nice to see that it's catching on in so many kitchens around the country. They are by far the strongest wrap I've found anywhere at any price. Too bad, we can't buy it in a roll, or maybe we can, and I just don't know about it. Thanks for the posting to remind us.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I have been using cereal bags to keep my salad veggies in. Onion, gr. pepper etc. I put each veg in a paper towel, then into the bag and clip. The veggies stay nice much longer than in a plastic bag or container. And, as you say, free...

I crochet snowflakes and stiffen them and I found cereal liners to be the best material to use to pin and stiffen the snowflakes. and they are free!

Kerredur, your snowflakes are gorgeous! I wish I could crochet like that.

I am so happy to read on how cereal box liners can be used in so many different helpful ways! I love to use them in collecting my "wet, messy small" garbage. I collect any potato skins, chicken skins/bones, other meat, onions, egg shells, coffee grounds, old left over rice, etc. anything that will mess up my large garbage can bag. This prevents a big leaky mess if an accident occurs before it reaches the trash pick up area. Myrna from the Bronx

Save your wax bags that your breakfast cereal comes in, they make great storage bags in the kitchen.

Even better, split one side and lie flat. You now have a nice waxed paper surface to lay your food on or to work with.

By nunley10 from Huntington, WV

Answers:

Use Cereal Liners in the Kitchen

Great idea. I needed some on Christmas to lay out my fudge and had to use foil. (12/29/2009)

By eveh

Use Cereal Liners in the Kitchen

I reuse cereal bags as vacuum food bags when freezing leftovers or the like. I trim the crinkled tops then use it in my food vacuum; reseals fine and I don't have to spend extra money for those expensive vacuum sealer bags. (02/09/2010)

By ppotter

Use Cereal Liners in the Kitchen

I also like to put my soup mug inside the cereal bag in the microwave oven to prevent splatters when heating. (02/10/2010)

By lrrn567

To save money buying freezer bags, I use the cereal bags inside the box. They are really good and can be washed and reused again.

By h.arnott from U.K

Answers:

Use Cereal Liners in the Kitchen

I also use them to store food in the fridge, like leftover onions, cut up salad, etc. Also for hubby's sandwich for work, leftover doughnuts. And for used baby wipes and poopy diapers. (11/12/2009)

By Honey's mom

Save your cereal bags, they have lots of uses. I save the wax paper cereal bags that come in almost all boxed cereals for later use in the kitchen. I empty the crumbs out and save them in an empty cereal box. The bags can be used in place of plastic wrap for re-heating food in the microwave, storing homemade bake goods, storing a toddler's leftovers in the refrigerator, etc. I also use the bags for cooking my corn on the cob in the microwave. My family loves how the corn turns out and it's quick, easy and no clean up is required. You probably would normally just throw these bags out but now you can use them first and then throw them out.

By Karen from Buffalo, NY

Answers:

Use Cereal Liners in the Kitchen

Thanks for the tips! It's perfect to store rolls of foil and saran wrap...all the boxes are taking over the top of my fridge! :) (03/23/2009)

By meowsley