Roast Beef For Five Different Meals

If we have roast beef, I cook it with lots of veggies until it is very well done. The first night, we have veggies and gravy with the beef.

The second night we have shredded beef quesadillas or tacos with cheese and whatever salsa is on hand (I favor green salsa). I keep a stack of corn tortillas in the refrigerator.

The third night, we have beef and vegetable soup. Add some beans, veggies, and broth. Cut up the beef into bite-sized pieces. All kinds of veggies work, including green beans, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, and you name it. I don't usually add corn because the sweetness kind of messes up the flavor. A tsp. or more of basil or Italian seasoning and some tomatoes give it a completely different flavor and character.

Or, if soup isn't your thing, try a stir-fry. Cut up lots of veggies nice and thin. Celery and onions are my favorite, and if I have them, I'll add Oriental veggies. Winter squash is surprisingly good. Stir-fry them until they are tender crisp. Then in a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and a Tbsp. of corn starch, and pour it over the vegetables. Stir just until the sauce has coated each piece of vegetable and thickened.

Which reminds me: Have you tried rice sticks? They're also called maifun. You find them in the Oriental or Asian food section. They're tough as old shoe leather until you drop them in some 400 degree F hot fat. They look alive as they puff up and turn snowy white and fragile in about 2 seconds. If you put some of these around your stir-fry it makes it look even more beautiful.

If you still have leftover beef, shred it or slice it very thin, pour in a bottle of barbecue sauce, and serve it hot over an open bun or slice of bread. Potato salad tastes wonderful with this, and maybe a pickle of your choice on the side.

By Coreen from Rupert, ID