Kenmore Water Dispenser Works Ice Dispenser Does Not

I have a 1997 Kenmore side by side refrigerator. I have water, but the ice maker is not working. I can hear it trying to work, but there is no ice.

By Gerri E

I'm not sure if you mean there is no ice in the bin or no ice drops down into your cup.

If there is no ice in the bin, look for the metal "L" shaped wire sticking out of the icemaker. Make sure it is pushed down. That tells the icemaker the bin is not full. When it is full the wire gets pushed up a little by the pile of ice and tells the maker to stop making ice. Also, if you want to make sure it won't make any ice, you can push it up all the way to tell the machine to stop. It's probable yours accidentally got pushed up, telling the machine not to make ice.

If there is ice in the bin but it won't drop down, check the chute to make sure it is clear. Also make sure the lever in the front on the door is exactly in the "ice" position, not on "water" or "crushed ice." If it's even a little off, you won't get ice (or water for that matter, if it's off the water one even a little).

I hope one of these ideas solves your problem.

We have this problem sometimes, too. We unplug the refrigerator for awhile, as something in the ice maker seems to get frozen. Hope this works for you!