Make a Wind Chime with Old Beads and Jewelry

I recently put together a rather pretty hanger/wind chime for the patio using lots of leftover beads, old odd earrings, bits of old brooches and necklaces, and some colored glass pieces from a broken wind chime. I grabbed a piece of driftwood that was in the garden, drilled six holes through the middle evenly spaced apart.

Using 6 strands of colored jewelry wire, approximately 18 inches (45cm) in length, I threaded on all the bits and pieces randomly with the pre-drilled glass at the bottom. I left a bit of wire at the top, threaded it through each of the holes, secured it with some good knots, and voila! a really pretty wind chime.

So easy a child could make one, and great for using up all those odd beads, plastic flowers, metal do-dads, etc. cluttering up your jewelry and craft boxes. If you don't have many larger things to thread on, just space them apart by knotting the colored wire. They still look great and sparkle beautifully in the light. Have fun!

By Vicki Keong from Yeppoon, Queensland, Australia

Top Comment

Looks like something right out of my garden, if I had thought of it. So pretty, as a jewelry maker, driftwood collector and wind chime lover what more could I ask. Just gorgeous. A picture truly is worth a thousand words. Thanks. My flower garden will thank you also when I get mine made!

I love that idea! Looks so pretty, thanks for sharing. :)

Wow! I love it! Thank you for this wonderful craft idea, I will make one with my daughter.

I love that you used things you had just laying around! Very creative!

Love this! Thanks for sharing the pic to bring it all together in my mind.

God Bless, Trish in CT

Thanks! I like the idea of using the wire instead of any kind of string. I am going to start on one soon!

Wow! What a great idea. You know we all have that "junk" jewelry laying around. This would be a great project for a child to give as a Christmas/Mother's day gift. Thank you for sharing.

It's very pretty! I know I have plenty of odd things to use around here, including a glass windchime I bought about 45 years ago that broke apart, mainly because the strings deteriorated.

Your idea to use wire is excellent! I'm looking forward to using this idea too.

I love your very creative wind chime. I just love them. I have done similar.Using beads old pieces of jewelry etc is a great idea.it gives the piece a personal touch! Wind chimes add a magical touch to the garden.Thanks for sharing yours. ;)

Cute! :)

i love the idea, i want to use a horseshoe instead of driftwood, i will use beads, bells, ect.. i will be making one soon