AdviceGardening

Removing Bushes Near a House

I want to remove some large bushes next to my house. I thought cutting the bush down and covering the roots with plastic for awhile would be alright but my friend said that the rotting roots would attract termites. Another friend suggested wrapping a chain around them and pulling out with a truck would be OK. Does anyone have another suggestion or an opinion? Thanks in advance.

By sassfrass from IL

I'd do what you were thinking about doing, but I'd also douse the roots with "Orange Guard". It's an orange-peal based insecticide that's safe for humans & pets. This should stop any termites. You may have to put it on every few months. Be sure to cover the area with plastic. You can also Google "Orange Guard".

Read more about it here:
http://www.amaz  mp;redirect=true

We had old shrubs in the front of our house, my husband and a friend of ours wrapped a chain around each shrub and he used his truck and pulled them out of the ground, roots and all.

You could end of spending more money on the Orange Guard, then what it's worth. Just pull them out of the ground and be done with them.

We've always pulled them out with a chain & pickup. Then level the ground and no more bother.

First, the roots of the bushes will not attract termites. Second, you can use a chemical to spray on the leaves and in a short time the bush will die.Cut the bushes down. The roots will rot out over time. Third, you can cut the bushes down and dig up the roots.

My husband pulled some very old shrubs from a building and used a come-a-long. This worked well for him.