AdviceHealth & Beauty

Losing a Damaged Fingernail

My fingernail was hit by a ball and now a new finger nail is coming in but half of the old nail is still attached. The old one is tearing and I cannot cut it. What should I do?

By elizabeth

I always do the following for my fingernails when they present a problem.

I spray with either betadine or peroxide. Then rinse off and dry and then put on triple antibiotic. Then I wrap the finger in a piece of tissue, any kind, and then cover that with duct tape. Keeping the water out of it helps it to heal.
Dont get it to tight or leave it on longer then a day without remedicating as above and putting on new tissue and duct tape around it.
Blelssings,

Robyn

If you can do the doctoring yourself, good. But I would not mess with fingernails if you can possibly see a doctor.

Nail beds are living things, and do get fungus and such in them. I have known folks to lose the tip of a finger because of a problem with the nail.
Basically, when in doubt, don't.
Good luck!

If it is loose, keep a bandaid on it to protect it until loose enough to fall off or doctor can get if off.

I use a dab of Superglue on my nails when they get a tear anywhere on them. It keeps them from getting caught on something and ripping further causing horrible pain. It wears off fairly quickly with doing dishes, laundry, showering and/or bathing and washing your hair.