Soda Bottle for Bee Trap

This past summer our humming bird feeder was attracting more bees than birds. My husband cut the top off a regular sized soda bottle. He threaded a string through the bottom and bent inside a lip from the top of the bottle. It hung upside down from the string.

He put it on the same rod that holds our humming bird feeder and it attracted a lot of bees. Once the bees found their way in they couldn't get out. Turned out really good for the birds since they got to use the feeder, and the bees ended up in the trap.

Source: My husband

By gem from VA

I've had trouble with bees at hummingbirds feeders also. But since we are so short of pollinators (not just honeybees are pollinators!) I was happy to find a feeder at Wild Birds Unlimited that if you can only fill 2/3rds full, the bees cannot reach the sugar water and your problem will be eliminated! The feeder also comes with a lifetime warranty (although I've never had to test this!) Anne

Anonymous

So sad to hear that you killed bees. They're so helpful for the environment!

We won't have food without bees. Maybe you didn't know that. We NEED bees to survive.

Sure, great idea to kill bees that polinate our plants, fruits, food etc! Stupid!!