Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Category Appliances
You open the dryer door to find the colorful evidence of a pen that made it through the wash. This is a guide about cleaning ink out of a dryer.

Make a solution of bleach and water. Completely immerse some white towels in the solution and using rubber gloves wring out most of the water from the towels. They should be just damp and not dripping. Next throw the towels in the dryer and turn it on. The bleach will take the ink out after one to two applications of this process.

After you get all the ink out, wipe the dryer down with plain water, making sure to wipe enough to remove all the bleach. Leave the dryer door open to air dry afterward. To be extra sure all the bleach is removed after cleaning you can run whites through the next dryer cycle.

By Renea A from Pittston Twp, PA

Pure acetone nail polish remover poured on a Magic Eraser works like a charm. The ink that my roommate got on my dryer came right up using this method.
I should have made her do it!

To get ink off a dryer drum soak towel in bleach and put in dryer, run dryer for 5 to 10 minutes. I tried other tips on this website but they did not work. The bleach towel trick did.

By Lacey

Editor's Note: Be sure you use a diluted bleach solution and make sure all bleach residue is removed from dryer before using it to dry clean clothes.

I looked on this site to find an answer to remove ink from a dryer drum. Many said to use fingernail polish remover, too many fumes for me. I tried some hairspray and that was too messy and also stunk. I then tried Scrubbing Bubbles Action Scrubber and it did not stink. It took the ink off so easy. Do wear rubber gloves. Wipe it down with a wet cloth when done. It was so easy. I had it cleaned within 45 minutes.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Hope this one helps.

Kat from Ohio

My dryer has a white drum and it was covered in ink. I soaked a old clean towel in a hot water/bleach solution. I let the rag soak and then I put the dripping rag in the dryer.

I ran it on high heat for about 30 minutes. It really works!

To remove ink use rubbing alcohol. Put some rubbing alcohol into a small cup. Using an old toothbrush dipped in the alcohol, gently scrub at the ink. Once you have remove the ink, wipe up any excess alcohol.

Try using a product called Goof Off available at home improvement stores. It has removed ink from my dryer several times.

I tried everything and the only thing that worked was nail polish remover. I put the remover on a white rag and rubbed on the ink.

I then ran the dryer for 10 minutes with old towels in the dryer. Good as new.

This happened to me several years ago when my son left a pen in his pocket. I used paint remover and hair spray. I put it on a rag (separately), then scrubbed and scrubbed.

I recently had ink all over my dryer. I used laundry stain remover and Comet, made into a paste. Just rinse and let dry. It came off so easily.

What I found that works on any stain, grass, tar, ink, you name it is "non-chlorinated brake cleaner". This will work on any ink that has transferred to the clothing too.

You can get it at any auto parts store. Apply small amounts to the ink using an old toothbrush.

Use Rain-X X-treme Clean for baked on ink. Put some on a dry cloth and rub for 10 seconds. It removes it easily and without damage to the dryer surface. Clean after with a wet cloth. Soft Scrub may work too, but may be overly abrasive. You can remove the dryer door for easier access.

CAUTION: Carburetor Cleaner is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. Don't use this method unless you are familiar with using this type of solvent. You spray on, it comes right off. NO scrubbing, NO mess.

How do you get pen ink out of a dryer?

By Toshia

Answers

Best Answer

Get some old towels and household bleach. This method takes time but it works.

The old towels are soaked in bleach and water solution.

Place inside the dryer and turn it on.

It may take a few tries but it should work.

How do you get ink out of the dryer drum?

By Mary from Brentwood, CA

Answers

Believe it or not, gel hand sanitizer! Wait until the dryer is cool, then use gel sanitizer on either old rags (old socks are great!) or paper towels and rub it into the ink in the dryer. Probably repeat multiple times. Do leave the dryer open for a few hours afterwards so the alcohol fumes dissipate.

Just spray the spots in the dryer with whatever hairspray you have on hand. They should just "melt" right off. Then swipe with a paper towel. Hope it works for you, it has always worked for me.

Just try Shout on a soft cloth! It leaves the dryer drum looking new!

Oh My God! It really works. My son had a friend overnight, so I wash clothes that night. The next morning I found ink everywhere in my dyer. 1. I am renting my home. 2. Anything I break or is my fault I must paid for it..

Today I was saved, from paying for a brand new dyer...LOL. Everyone should try soaking the towel in bleach with water and place it in the dryer. It really works.

Hair spray work also, but not as effective. Soaking the towel with bleach and water turning your dryer on high. Trust me...smile. Thank you, thank you.

I just want to thank all of you for saving me and my dryer. I tried the bleach and water towel in the dryer and it worked great! I was amazed!

Accidentally, a laundry marker got in my dryer. It was in a dryer cycle and marked up the whole inside of the drum in approx 1/4 inch marks. These marks are also all over the 2 blankets that were in the dryer.

What do you recommend to clean the dryer. I've tried soap and water, and a little bleach, and had no luck. What do you recommend to clean the blankets? Thanks.

Cathren from Illinois

Answers

By Heather (Guest Post)

Try Goo off or acetone nail polish remover. Be sure it is well ventilated and use as little as possible as it may take the paint off if it is not stainless steel.

By Lynda (Guest Post)

I would start with alcohol and elbow grease, then go to wd-40, turning the paper towels frequently. One of these remedies should do the trick for the dryer. Which ever one works on the dryer might work on the blankets. Keep in mind, however, the wd 40 is flammable and will need to be washed several times to remove it from all things, but it works on so many items that the website says 1000 uses! I keep it on hand for lots of things and it does indeed work for most.
Good luck and God bless you. : )

I used this site when my kid put a marker in his pocket, and I washed it and dried it, it left purple marker all over the dryer drum. I used nail polish remover with a cloth and scrubbed it, then I soaked a towel in bleach and water and dried it. It all came off. It was wonderful. I just bought the dryer a month ago, thank god!

Bleach soaked towels (slightly diluted) works wonders for my hot pink spattered dryer drum after a pen when through! Thank God for these forums!!

How do you get ink out of a gas dryer? I've already used acetone and a Magic Eraser, but it barely helped. I'm still getting ink on the clothes. Help!

How do you remove ink from a dryer?

By Gerri from Fontana, CA

Answers

I've had good luck with rubbing alcohol and elbow grease.

Try the gel-type hand sanitizer (mostly alcohol) on an old sock or other rag, glop on the sanitizer and rub like crazy. Be sure to rub all the sanitizer off when you are done so you don't start a fire.

How do I get pink pen ink off my dryer drum?

I have gotten ball point ink on my dryer as I left a pen in my jeans. It went through the wash. Do you have a solution for getting the horrible stain off?

By June HN from Courtenay B.C. Canada

Answers

Use an old rag and acetone nail polish remover. It comes right off but make sure after you get all the ink off to take a different rag with soapy water. Make sure to get all of the acetone off and let the drier air dry.

How do I remove ink from inside a dryer drum?

By Cyndi D.

Answers

This happened to me several years ago when my son left a pen in his pocket. I used paint remover and hair spray. I put it on a rag (separately) and scrubbed and scrubbed. (Be careful not to stick your head inside the dryer while you work or you will be essentially using "paint sniffing" drugs.) Then I washed out the paint remover with more rags with soap and water on them. And then I tumbled wet rags in it several times to make sure it was all gone and the smell was gone. Trust me, I always checked pockets after that.

How do I get ink out of the dryer?

By WMAST from Capitol Heights, MD

Answers

I take a paper towel and rubbing alcohol. This does the trick for me.

How do I remove inks stains from the dryer? I was able to remove the ink from the sides of the drum but not the back!

By Vickie

I dried an ink pen with a load of clothes. I need to know how to get it out of the dryer. Thanks for any help.

By Tareasa from Dallas, TX

After a pen exploded in our dryer I used a combination that excludes finger nail polish remover. Try Awesome, a liquid cleaner, with some cleaning eraser pads. Expect a lot of elbow grease, but it's worth it. Also, try to spray Awesome 3 - 4 times over the currently lowest section of the drum; let it just sit for a while (i.e. at least a couple of hours). When you return the Awesome on its own will probably have saved you time and work, so do the same with each drum section.

Source: reading thrifty fun and compromising

By John

How do I remove gel pen ink stains from clothes dryer?

By Oliver Wiest from Glen Carbon, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Try a magic eraser! not a store brand (they don't work as well and fall apart). I used a magic eraser to remove purple ink from a pen I had left in my pocket from many moons ago and it wiped it away. If I ever need to remove anything, I grab a magic eraser to see if it will work first before I try anything else. (10/17/2010)

By LA

Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I had my first "OMG" moment with 2 ink pens that had left spots all over my brand new front-loading Whirlpool dryer. I followed the technique of mixing 2 cups bleach with a half bucket of water and soaking several old towels in them, then running the dryer for 30 minutes. I immediately followed that with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, wet with non-acetone fingernail polish remover. Great! The only "casualty" was the nice shirt I had on when I threw the towels into the dryer -- I recommend old clothes and rubber gloves. Thanks for the help! (10/30/2010)

By KC Rosie

How do I get ink out of my dryer?

Load More