Check With Your Utilities for Cheaper Rate Times

Some utility companies, such as water and electric offer 2 or more rate times through out the day. Check and see if yours does, and then act accordingly. Try and run your appliances, during the times when the rate is the cheapest. I schedule my laundry during the off peak (which for my companies is 9pm to 6 am) To do this, you may need to change your habits and schedule some.

I now start the dishwasher to run while we are sleeping. I no longer do all my laundry on one day of the week, but instead do one load a day, at night. I set it to wash over night, then hang them out first thing in the morning. However if I need to put them in the dryer, I finish washing it before bed and then run the dryer while we are sleeping.

Also, some companies offer a farm or ag rate. If they do, it may be cheaper for you to have a second meter set for your barn. For us, it is a large savings. Be sure to use this meter for all your farm uses. Our neighbors even have their deep freeze in the barn to save on their house electric. It stores their produce and meat that their farm produces.

By April from NW Missouri

April,great idea.Though I've not ck.since moving here and I have insomnia.I've been doing my laundry like 2am.I don't live in an apt.complex where it would bother someone.I'm sure it's cheaper but it's much cooler outside also.Here in NC the weather w/the humidity has been close to 100º.

Keeper

Where we live the power and water are the same company. We were able to get a discount based on our income level and household size. In Los Angeles where we live you are considered moderate to low income if you make less that 75,000 per yr

I called our electric company and they have a program that has different rates for if you are gone all day (higher from 1:01 p.m. til 7:00 p.m. and then extremely lower the rest of the time) Their regular rates are cheaper than that, on average. Since we are home during their peak hours, it is better not to use that program. But it was worth checking into. They did mention that using the dryer when it is cooler outside lets your ac work less.