Folded Letter Makes Its Own Envelope

For my Dad's 80th birthday party, I printed the invitations on card stock, folded in thirds, stamped 2 holes with a regular hole punch close to the edges, and ran 1/4 inch organza ribbon tied in a knot (knot came out to the front) through it. I got a lot of comments on my unique invitations and I saved money on envelopes. (The ribbon was very cheap, cheaper than envelopes).

This also works for mailing a plain letter when you don't have an envelope, I just did it here at work where I needed an envelope, but had the stamp (my own) already. Take a piece of copy paper, fold in thirds (shorter side), tape the ends and back shut with tape, address, stamp, and mail.

By Vicki from Dallas, TX

Thanks for sharing a really good idea! I've done this in a pinch myself. :-)

I can imagine how cute this turned out . . . BUT . . . sending mail with knots tied in the "envelope" probably isn't such a good idea. Mail is sorted by high-speed equipment and could have easily, easily been caught in the equipment, torn up, etc, or been charged an extra postage surcharge that the recipients might have had to pay since you didn't.

I think this kind of cute, decorative idea would be better with flat ribbon inside an envelope.

Umm, she did not say whether she mailed these invitations or hand delivered them. The one she did mail was taped not knotted. I would imagine that she would have heard an earful if people had been charged for her "thriftiness" and I will also assume, had she indeed mailed the invitations, that the postage was surely paid. I've never heard of a postage surcharge for not having a proper envelope. That being said, I bet these invitations were awesome. Wish you had posted a pic! Thanks for the idea!

Katie, I have a cousin who works for the USPS (for two decades now) and has run those machines you're talking about so I asked her if the ribbons alone could be a problem and she laughed. Any number of things could cause a very occasional problem including improper feeding of the machine, a bulky amount of folded paper within an envelope or even a non sealed envelope and there is no such thing as a surcharge for a damaged letter, post card, flyer, package or otherwise.

Hi,
Thanks for the tip! Haven't done this, but I have made invitations folded in half, with a ribbon or silver elastic string run thru the punched holes. My knot, though, could be on the inside instead of the outside. I imagine this would not cause problems with USPS.

Nica

Better Living Frugal Living TipsApril 20, 2011
😷
😎
🌻
🐛
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf89948082.tip.html