Uses for Leftover Wrapping Paper

If you don't want to store wrapping paper for the next appropriate holiday or birthday, get creative and use it for other purposes. This is a guide about uses for leftover wrapping paper.

Having run out of tissue paper for packing around gifts, I shredded some wrapping paper. It looked great. Now instead of paper gift wrap (even the most crumpled bit! ) going to the bin it goes in the shredder and I have my recycled packaging.

Happy new yew year to you all.

From Derry/Londonderry U.K City of culture 2013

I use leftover holiday wrapping paper all year long in my sewing room. I hate working with flimsy tissue paper patterns so I lay them out on the white back of the wrapping paper and transfer them with a Sharpie (it bleeds through the tissue). The new paper patterns are easier to fold and store and last through many more foldings than tissue. And I don't have to pay for special pattern tracing paper!

By Amy

If you are like me, you do not like to store left over wrapping paper, what a hassle. Instead of storing it I turn it over and use the back side for wrapping gifts, boxes to store magazines in, or organizing bins. There are many uses for it. Let the kids draw on it.

Of course then there is always the tube it was rolled on. There are dozens of uses for it, electric cord storage, walkie talkies for the kids, many kids toys can be made from them. Corral yardsticks in one, tape several together to organize dowel rods. Once you get started, you won't know where to stop with the uses you will come up with for both the paper and the roll it came on.

When you go to buy your paper, try to think of other holidays instead of just Christmas next year. Purchase plain colors so you can use it all through the year. You can add Christmas motifs and greenery to make the gift say Christmas, if you feel you have to.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

If you're like me, you have way too much wrapping paper left over from Christmas. I turn it over, white side up, and staple it to the wall in my kids' room for their artistic whims to go wild! They love decorating their new "wallpaper".

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

Old Christmas wrapping paper makes great pattern paper! If you make your own sewing patterns or make duplicate patterns or revisions to patterns like I do, use your old Christmas wrapping paper or Christmas tissue paper, it makes great patterns!

You can also turn over Christmas wrapping paper and let kids use the blank side to color or paint on.

When buying Christmas paper during the holidays, I try to find colors that I can use the rest of the year for gifts and other holidays like Gold, Silver, Copper, Purple, Blue, and Checked or Stars. Gold and silver makes great wedding and anniversary wrapping paper while Blue, Purple, Checks and Stars makes great Birthday paper.

Use Gold Christmas Paper to "gold leaf" your crafts and projects with.

By Cyinda from Redmond, WA

While at a book store, I found some beautiful wrapping paper. The one I chose was several rows of cats which were black with red designs on them, with a dark red background. I have framed this paper within a black frame, and it's hanging in my bedroom now. Very inexpensive and different.

By Joy from Culbertson, MT

I use leftover wrapping paper from holidays to practice my origami sea turtle craft. I still have to perfect the feet on the sea turtle. I don't like to practice with the regular paper until I get it right.

Here's my favorite tip for left over "Xmas Print" wrapping paper: I sew and like to alter or make my own patterns so, my favorite "Christmas Left Over Tip" is to use left over Christmas wrapping paper for making patterns with.

What are some uses for leftover Christmas paper?

Emily from Greenwood, SC

Answers

Emily, I remember my grandma saving all of her wrapping paper to reuse the next year! I think that some of the papers that I have seen would be pretty enough to frame or cover with clear laminate and make placemats from it. I had paper that had country looking angels on it, I cut out the angels and used a glue stick to apply them to white cardstock and made cards for the next Christmas. I also reuse cards by cutting them into gift tags or cutting out the pictures on the front and glue them to cardstock to make new cards. You could use the paper for decoupage and cover just about anything like boxes, paper lamp shades, or book covers. I used wrapping paper in my living room to cover all the pictures on my walls and tied them with pretty bows so they all looked like presents. I don't decorate too much at Christmas, so the presents on the wall really looked festive!

Run thru a paper shredder and use it in the bottom of gift baskets next year.

Just use the opposite "white"side and decorate as you please for any occasion gift.

Thanks for the ideas for using wrapping paper. I need to get busy and try some of these!
Warm wishes from SC
Emily

Here are directions for a very neat tree ornament
http://www.thri  4541769.tip.html

Cheers,
Rose Anne

glue or tape to outside of boxes, then pack ornaments and other holiday items. you'll
be able to find your seasonal items that much
faster next year.
glue or tape on shoe boxes for decorative storage.
Enjoy the holidays!

I keep my leftover Christmas wrapping paper. Then I can use it to wrap up delicate and fragile ornaments off the Christmas tree to store in a box for the next year. Then, I repeat with new and fresh after gifts open the next year and so on.

By Safka from Oregon

Answers:

Uses for Leftover Christmas Wrap

Okay, this is a simple, but brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing. (11/11/2006)

By Persnickety Paula