Gift MixesGifts

Gift Mixes Using Splenda

I am going to give a special gift to a friend with diabetes. I am going to mix all the dry ingredients for cookies, made with Splenda instead of sugar or some other sweetener. Then I will attach the instruction card onto the jar. This is the same as all the same old Cookies in a Jar but for people with diabetes.

I will make other mixes and put them in jars too and give them at once, all of them sugar-free. Sometimes when recipes call for sugar-less preparation, people who need to eat them the most, won't make them. I think this would be an all around great gift, for anyone. I am making a six pack of jars and putting all sorts of recipes in there, from pancakes to fudge to cookies to whatever else I can think of. I may just fill one with Splenda or another sweetener for future use.

Source: http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/giftsinajar/a/122099a.htm

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

What a thoughtful and caring thing to do. You are a great friend.

Try using the new Truvia instead of splenda. It's all natural and tastes great and has no calories. One packet of Truvia equals 2 teaspoons of sugar. I have tried it on fresh fruit like strawberries and on cereal and it tastes great.

Just be sure to let recipients of your gifts be aware that there is Splenda or another substitute for sugar in it because it really bothers some peoples' systems. I am always sure to make people aware of the sugar substitute in the sugar-free goodies I take to church dinners, just in case. I personally think you have a wonderful idea because there are so many people who are either trying to lose weight or are diabetic, like myself. You are going to make a lot of people very happy!

How thoughtful of you! Are your loved ones on any other restriction? DH and I are diabetic,not only is sugar a no no to us, so is white flours.

Splenda is an oxidant and often gives people headaches. If you are taking or especially looking for antioxidants for your health, Splenda may not be your best choice.

How thoughtful! DH and I are both diabetics and would love to receive such a thoughtful item! We use Splenda without any type of ill effects. We also use Wheylow, wheat flour, etc to keep our carbs down. Again, that is so nice and considerate of you!

Not only headaches but some people get violent stomach aches from Splenda. I get a very dry mouth from it that lasts for hours. At one point they were talking about taking it off the market. Not sure what happen to that. I am sure other sugar substitutes would work just as well.