Painting Formica Countertops

Help, I have ugly kitchen counter tops. Is there a way to refinish them to look like granite?

By kyazgal from Sun Lakes, AZ

There is a special paint buy I don't know what it is. I also know there are several steps to the process. Ask at your home improvement store.

Anonymous

There are oodles of suggestions if you scroll down to the ThriftyFun archives below and then also go to this link:

http://www.thri  f999197.tip.html

Check out WWW.DAICHCOATINGS.COM for a very cool product. We used it on our old laminate ( formica ) kitchen counters and were thrilled with the results.

It's called the SpreadStone Countertop Refinishing Kit. It's a real stone countertop you Roll on!

Gives you a brand new surface that rolls on like paint. Incredibly tough, no mixing anything together, very easy to work with. It's the closest you are going to get to the real thing for less than $150 bucks.

Everything is in one box and covers about 60 sq.ft. of surface area. We're going to do our bathroom vanity and bar top this time around. The one kit will cover both.

Have fun! - John.

Anonymous

My Formica countertop is ugle. Is there a simple & cheap alternative that I can see

Can you paint a Formica countertop and how?

By Angela from Ranger, TX

Answers:

Painting Formica Countertops

Check with your home improvement store. I have seen it done on the Home and Garden channel, but never paid any attention being I live in a rental. I have also seen them paint counter tops to look like granite, but that did involve more steps than I would ever want to do. (01/25/2011)

By redhatterb

How do I paint Formica countertops?

By Marnie from Simsbury, CT

Answers:

Painting Formica Countertops

Check with your home improvement store. I have heard there are special paints for that. (12/12/2010)

By redhatterb

Painting Formica Countertops

There are oodles of instructions and ideas in the ThriftyFun archives at this link: thriftyfun.com (12/12/2010)

By Deeli

I want to paint some old counter tops in a trailer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

By Suzee

Answers:

Painting Formica Countertops

Rust-o-leum makes a countertop paint. It comes in a bunch of colors. I would use that. It's about 30 dollars, but does a really nice job and acts more like a counter than paint. (07/20/2010)

By Tigertame4

Can you paint formica countertops?

By geoalv from Houston, TX

Answers:

Painting Formica Countertops

Sure you can, but the problem is the scratches and blemishes you will see as they wear. You can buy a granite countertop painting kit, I have used it before and it turns out looking great and masks any imperfections in the counters. You can paint over laminate or formica.

There are before and after pictures and a video of how to do it here: http://store.westsidedecoratingcenter.com/Granite-Countertop-Paint-Kit-Granite.htm (02/01/2010)

By Hawker19

Painting Formica Countertops

Check with your local hardware store to see what paints will stick to formica without peeling with water being around or on it. (02/05/2010)

By YORKIEPOO