Cashing an Old Money Order

Category Banking
$500 bills
A financial instrument often has an expiration date. This guide is about cashing an old money order.

I went into the bank last week to cash a money order I had for three years. They said because of the date they would have to send it away. I signed it and showed my license. I called today to find out the status of it and was told it was not my money order that someone else purchased it and reported it lost and cashed it. They will not tell me who it was. I don't get it? They were very rude about it. I called the head office and they're checking into it. Anyone have advice? They even deny I was in the bank to cash it.

By hope1

I hope you kept a copy of it. That is too bad. Good-luck. And please tell us how this ends.

If you didn't get a copy of the money order, you may have a problem proving your case. But if you know where you purchased it, they have to keep a copy and can get it for you. I'd first talk to the Bank Manager. Look at the tellers, and find out the name of the person to whom you gave it. Then, if the Bank Manager is rude to you and does not help you, tell him you are reporting the situation to the Banking Commission. They are headquartered in Washington,D.C. and have control over all banks!

I have helped a friend report a bank in SC who was uncooperative with him. When it was reported to the Banking Commission in D.C., we got results!

I'm so sorry! I'm afraid you need a miracle, due to laws. Not saying there is nothing you can do hopefully bank manager can help. Just last year I had to do research on money orders.

You didn't say if you got the money order or if it was written to you as a gift etc. That would answer many questions. I had to look into money orders eventually to be able to find the truth an attorney helped me. I was astonished at the laws of some states. Some states no matter what if the money order is over 6months old, the money goes to the state. I said "sounds like stealing" however it's true. No exceptions.

Since they didn't say it was no good or too old, you know that someone saw you didn't cash it. Maybe the bank can track it down. However some banks do not know all of the answers either so do your research about the laws. Make sure you see the check, somewhere there is a copy. It is the same as cash. Good luck, please as requested let us know. God bless you!

The bank would have a copy, since you made a deposit...waiting on them to check it out. They have copy of it I'm sure.

Thanks for the advice I found out my younger brother had it re issued to himself he reported it as lost. So I will get my money after all, but no more money orders for me!