Share Crafts

Crafts Using Sea Shells

Sea Shells

This natural material comes in many shapes and sizes and can be a part of some interesting projects. This guide is about crafts using sea shells.

Solutions: Crafts Using Sea Shells

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Seashell Rose

Two sea shell roses.This is a gorgeous, romantic, and elegant craft which can be applied to a number of other crafts as an enhancement, although it is completely stunning on its own! The shells (if you live near bodies of water) are free, which is the best part!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Craft: Sandycast Shell Faces

This was one of the most fun and memorable things we ever did on a beach vacation with the kids. Sandycast faces made with sea shells.

Comb the beach for great sea shells, broken ones can be cool. Collect shells in a used onion bag, it makes it easier to wash off the sand before you use them or take them home.

Bring some plaster of Paris and an old beach pail and something sturdy to mix it with. Make a shallow, face shaped hole in the sand on the beach. Chose the shells you want to use for eyes, nose, mouth, etc. Keep the shells faced up to see the effect of how they will look when completed.

Reverse the shells and pour the plaster of Paris into the shallow hole. Carve your initials and year on the back. Give it enough time to set before you uncast it. Do not brush too much sand off of the sandycast.

Everyone will love them! They can be displayed on a plate stand because no one will want to put them away too soon. Have fun making memories, kids!

Source: Family Fun Magazine, many moons ago.

By Mother Goose from Royalston, MA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Seashell Beach Collage

beach collageWe had a lot of left over little seashells we gathered at the beach. This craft uses up some of those shells for a cute keepsake for all of those wonderful beach memories!

• light blue cardstock paper
  • tan/sandy colored cardstock paper
  • yellow and orange scraps of paper (cardstock, construction, etc.)
  • marker
  • glue stick
  • seashells
  • glue
  • scissors
  • tape
  • beach photos

1. Cut the long edge of the blue paper to look wavy and resemble waves.
  2. Lay the blue paper to overlap the tan paper and tape together at the back side. Turn over and use a glue stick to stick together the front sides.
  3. Cut out a sun using the yellow and orange paper. Cut one of the beach photos in a circle to place in the middle of the sun. Glue or tape all pieces of the sun together onto the blue paper.
  4. I added another beach photo on the blue paper for fun. You could add fish, waves, boats, birds, or whatever you wish to add.
  5. Using the marker, write the name of the beach and the date at the top of the blue paper.
  6. Use regular glue to place seashells all over the tan "sandy beach" paper.
  7. Allow to dry and hang to enjoy!
  8. By Jayme from Harrisonburg, VA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Bev's Shell Mirror

Framed mirror decortated with shells.I previously replied to a request of what to do with excess shells. I explained how I decorated wooden or chipboard (MDF in Australia) mirror or picture frames with shells.

I recently made one for a friend who celebrated her 40th birthday on the weekend. She was delighted with it so I thought I'd share the picture I took and how I made it.

Firstly, clean the frame with a dry cloth to get rid of any dust and grime. I chose acrylic paints in tubes and used a bristle brush in a circular and criss-cross fashion to give it a suede look. In this particular instance I chose a bright yellow with cream overtones to make it less bright.

I painted both the front, back and the backing piece to the mirror.

While the paint was drying I went onto the computer using the Word Art tool. For the uninitiated, you go to the Insert tab, then scroll down to picture, and across to a menu, until you find Word Art. It will let you type in whatever you want and give you options for colours and the shapes of the text you want. What it does is that your text will go in waves or whatever shape you have chosen. It can give your text a nice touch.

I then cut out the text and also cut enough gold braid to go around the cut out paper. That way it defined the text and showed me where the shells should stop. I then spread PVC glue (wood glue) thickly onto the frame in sections and placed the shells (big and large) in a haphazard way. If you become too regimented about symmetry, it can look too contrived. On the top where I placed the text and trim, I found a nice small colourful starfish to cover the join in the gold trim. It covered it up nicely.

Before the glue dries, sprinkle gold and silver glitter (not too large grade) in amongst the shells and inbetween where the smaller shells are. In between the bigger shells I had placed minute tiny shells to take up the spaces in between the larger shells. I found a zip lock pack of tiny mother of pearl coloured tiny shells. Ideal for filling in spaces and giving added colour. If you have larger shells that may look a little boring, don't be discouraged. I found I needed some fan shells, but the ones I had were old and had lost their colour. I grabbed my youngest's pencil case and used some of her pencils to add a bit of colour. As you ended up spraying the whole piece anyway, the colour won't fade.

Once the glue has dried clear and hard, spray with a clear matte or shiny spray varnish (lacquer) to seal everything. The glitter will fall off if not sealed properly.

You don't have to have a message or text up top of the mirror, that's just what I chose for this particular frame. I included a scripture verse about God throwing our sins into the depths of the ocean, which I thought was really appropriate since I was using shells- and added a note to the verse which said, "And that means absolutely no fishing!"

There you have it, a really inexpensive present which ended up looking like a million dollars and great fun making it. My 14 year old daughter and I had so much fun making this present and it gave us some time together. You can even get your littlies in on the action, placing a shell here and there and it makes them feel special as well because they're able to help out.

Bev in Western Australia

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Seaside Board

Foam board decorated with seashells and a poem or other saying.You could do a lot of different things to make this craft your own. Make a 3-D thank you note, make a journal entry about a vacation or the beach, or just make it decorative. Use seashells and other items you may see along the seaside.

Approximate Time: 30-45 minutes

• foam board
  • rope
  • seashells
  • white glue
  • hot glue
  • pen or computer printed message

1. Cut a piece of foam board to desired size.
  2. Add a note or a journal entry in the middle (optional). A good journal entry could be about a specific vacation or just about the seaside in general. You don't have to add anything if the craft will just be decorative.
  3. Glue or tape the message to the board if it is a computer print out, or write the message in pen if desired.
  4. Glue seashells around the board using white glue. Could also add sea weed, sand, etc.
  5. Use hot glue to attach rope around the edges of the foam board. Cut at a diagonal to fit, or leave loose ends to tie in a knot. I reinforced the cut ends with hot glue.

Enjoy the memories!

By Jayme from Harrisonburg, VA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Shell Wreath with Candle Holder

Shell wreath and candle holder.

• dollar store Styrofoam wreath
  • hot glue gun
  • gollar store shells and colored rocks
  • clear sealer
  • glass candle kolder
  • glass paints (optional)

1. I painted some of the shells, but they can be left plain.
  2. Glue them however you want them.
  3. Spray with clear sealer, makes it shine.
  4. The candle holder is glass painted, I buy glass paints only when they are on sale.

This looks beautiful in your bathroom and you can use colors that match in yours.

By Sheri from Stockton, CA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Shellin' Out for a Unique Frame

Photo frame decorated with sea shells.Ever collected shells at the beach or just admired their natural beauty? Frames decorated in shells are always distinct (no two shells are the same), stimulate personal or collective creativity, and evoke a peaceful and harmonious atmosphere for years to come.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Crafts Using Sea Shells.

Question: Putting Silver Edging on a Seashell

How do I put silver edging on a seashell?

By Tonya from North Port, FL

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Maile 49 114 01/27/2011

For just a quick edging of silver sparkle, get some clear finger nail polish with silver flecks in it. It gives great highlights, and you don't have to be too very accurate. Have fun!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Best Glue for Seashells

Is Gorilla glue the best glue for seashells?

By John from London

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By mr. Tim 2 3 12/24/2012

NO WAY...messy, impossible to get off your hands and it bubbles up and out as it cures. The best would be either Weldbond (water based) or Goop, aka E-6000 (solvent based). If they are fairly small shells, I would go with the Weldbond glue. I buy it at my local Ace Hwd. store, but it's on-line too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Seashell Craft Ideas

My 5 year old son picked up a ton of seashells while we were at the coast this past summer and I need Ideas of how to use the sea shells in a crafts. I've decorated a picture frame but there are bunch more and he enjoys crafting. Any ideas?

Christy from El Paso, Texas

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Patti (Guest Post) 02/17/2009

See my website for lots of seashell craft ideas.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: What Do I Use to Glue Sand Dollars on the Bathroom Walls?

I want to glue real sand dollars to my semi gloss painted bathroom walls for a 3-D border look. What kind of glue would I use? I don't want the steam from showers to cause them to fall off.
Has anyone else tried something like this? If so, what were your results?

By Cyndie from Jefferson, GA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Ray S. 1 05/06/2011

I would try hot glue. Small dab on dollar and let cool a bit before placing on wall. Just might not pull paint if you remove it. Would not work in sauna but I've got stuff thats been stuck up for years.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Best Glue for Seashell Crafting

What is the best adhesive for seashell crafting?

By Ann from Port St Lucie, Fl

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine 7 31 09/16/2010

I was just at a craft fair a few weeks back and this gentleman had birdhouses covered in shells, and asked him if they were waterproof and he said yes and told him I have a birdhouse and 100's of shells and didn't know what to use...he told me to use clear bathroom silicone, will make it waterproof! Haven't done it yet, but will try when weather here gets cold, good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Gluing Seashells to Plastic

What kind of glue would I use to glue seashells to a plastic picture frame?

By gitman from Reseda, CA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By bill weaver 1 1 06/29/2009

Thank you Cyinda. Also do you know where I can purchase this glue?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Gluing Shells on Cork Poster Board

Can I hot glue shells on a cork poster board to hang in my bathroom?

By Sizy

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Question: Making Stork Birds Out of Sea Shells

There is a large shell on the Florida beach, that has a perfect stork shaped face and neck, but is very delicate. I have seen these shell birds made, but don't know how exactly. Most of it would need to be pinched off.

By Benda

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.