Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
guilty dog

House training your dog takes patience and consistency. Even dogs that have been house trained may revert back to pooping and peeing in the house. Determining the cause may be difficult. This is a guide about dog peeing and pooping inside.

Here are questions related to Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside.

Question: Dog Pooping and Peeing in House at Night

I have a Bichon Poodle mix. She will be 6 years old in September. For the last 3 nights she has been pooping and peeing in our bedroom and the living room. I take her out before I go to bed. She used to hit the bed and whine when she had to go out. Now she just does the deed. She doesn't do it in the day time when we're gone for an hour or so. My husband and I are here all day long.

By Barbara H.

Question: House Trained Dog Peeing Inside

I have 2 Jack Russells, a bitch and a male dog. He's the younger of the 2. They are both house trained, but I noticed he's started cocking his leg around the home, even straight after being out. He's done in on my daughter's doll pram, safety gates, anything really. He's 10 months old and I am stuck on what to try as he has access to the garden most of the day.

By Teresa

Most Recent Answer

By mensamom04/28/2014

I had a similar problem with my 2 Chihuahuas. Once the male had been neutered all the leg lifting in the house stopped. If you don't plan to breed the dog it is much healthier for the dog to be neutered. Since your dog is 2 years old it may take additional training to stop his "marking". Get a toy water pistol and squirt him when you see him in the act. You must catch him while he is doing the marking, not afterwards. They have a memory of 2-4 seconds on things like this. Good luck!

Question: House Trained Dog Peeping and Pooping Inside

My 3 1/2 year old female Boxer has started peeing and pooping in the house again. She's been trained for a couple of years now. Should I be concerned?

By Rochelle L.

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]03/21/2014

Yes, you should have her in to see the vet as soon as possible. I say this as an AKC Boxer breeder for over 40 years in the US prior to my permanent move to the UK in 2010.

At her age she's now reached full maturity - has she had one or more litters, or is she spayed? If yes to either or both questions, she's got a urinary tract problem common to mature female Boxers who've either been spayed, thrown one or more litters, or both. The easiest way to explain it is as a prolapse.

It's not necessarily a veterinary emergency and she's likely not in much if any pain at this point but the problem will become worse over time and she needs to be seen sooner rather than later. Over a week or two the pain will increase and so will the incontinence.

Please update - without seeing your dog and because I'm not a vet, there is every chance I'm mistaken (doubt it given her very typical symptoms, but it could happen:) so getting her seen ASAP would be the best thing.

Question: House Trained Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside

I have a 6 year old dog and now an 8 year old rescue. Both are potty trained, but I keep finding pee and poo in one room (and other rooms when it rains). I don't know which dog it is (sensing my first) so I scold both. Then I feel guilty. I have a dog door to a dog run and wonder if my first dog doesn't like the new dog's smell? Or is it anger? It's not medical. I thought it was the area rug being marked, but I got rid of it and now it's happening on the hardwood floors. I'm losing my mind as I care for a special needs daughter and a toddler and have a highly stressful life. Please help me; I'm in tears. The rescue seems to like outdoors and his kennel - should I put him in one or the other when I'm not home? Then at least I'll know who's doing it? Help :(

By Jamie F from San Diego, CA

Question: House Trained Dog Peeing and Pooping in the House

I need some suggestions of what I can do to help my Shih Tzu, Maggie. I have had her for 13 years and she has always been a good girl. She would never mess on the floor or chew on anything and she was never aggressive. All she ever seemed to want was an occasional game or more than likely a cuddle.

July of last year I got married and my daughter and I moved with my husband to Kansas. A few months later we found out I was pregnant. I know this probably has something to do with her behavior now. If I am in the room and able to watch her 24/7 then she won't mess on the floor, but will sleep all day and not even ask to go out if I don't have her go out. However, we have had to keep her in the basement at nights because we are renting a house and cannot have her upstairs. I don't like this, but I can't allow her upstairs if she is going to be messing on the floor at night while we sleep and even keeping her in the basement she will mess on the floor. Every morning we have to clean up pee and poo off the floor. I have let her out between 11pm and 12am at night and go down to let her out at 7am in the morning and she has messed.

It is very frustrating because I know it isn't medical and I do not like having her down there even though I do let her upstairs for awhile during the day when I can sit there and watch her, but I can't leave her upstairs because as soon as we go to bed she messes on the floor.

Also, my 4 yr old daughter loves her and enjoys trying to cover her up with a blanket or holding her. She hasn't done anything to hurt Maggie, but Maggie refuses to have anything to do with her. She is always trying to hide and get away from my daughter and at one point snapped at her (she did not leave any marks though). And last of all Maggie has now stopped listening to any commands like come or quiet anymore. I have tried to go back over those commands like if she was just being trained, but she seems highly uninterested. It was thought maybe she is going deaf and having physical problems, but recently she spent the night with some neighbours and did just fine with them. She didn't even mess on their floor. When we tell her to come you can see her ears pointed back to us, but she just continues on with what she is doing. I have always liked to teach my dogs at least basic obedience and enjoy training dogs, but have never experienced this. I know what I shouldn't be doing, but am running short on ideas to stop this behavior. I want my dog back. Any ideas?

By Dessy M.

Most Recent Answer

By Caseye [28]05/09/2012

"Frugalsunnie's" sentiments seem right on the mark. You and your family may be dealing with all recent changes just fine, but your faithful companion might not be able to process them as easily, especially since she "knows" she's disappointing you and feels your frustration.

Please give her some slack as well as a whole lotta loving to get things back on track - she needs to know she's still an important part of your life, and that she means the world to you. Good luck!

Question: Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside When Left Alone

My dog is peeing and pooping all over my clothes. He only does this when I leave him alone. He urinates and defecates all over my clothes and my couch, even to the point where he hides it under some clothes that are laid out on the couch!

When I'm home he has to be up under my feet constantly. If I move he moves. He's a great dog, potty trained and over all a very upbeat pooch. He is just as you want in a (man's best friend). Please help.

By Kyle R

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]01/19/2012

The crate is a very good idea. Your dog is telling you he is angry with you for leaving him, and crating him when you are out will give him a safe place to be.

It's not cruel at all as long as you get the right size crate, and the dog will be relieved that he doesn't have to hide his 'accidents' and worry that you'll be upset when you come home to his mess.

closeup of long haired DachshundI have a five year old Dachsie female (Abbie) who has regressed to puppy hood. She has had back trouble and has been sick. She pees on the carpet, so I have been keeping her in her crate. She does not drink much when she is in the crate and will not pee outside. After a few days, she will pee and poop on the floor because she cannot hold it.

I do not know the best way to train her again. I am used to her being with me all the time and feel mean to keep her in the crate. I don't know if this makes sense, but I need help. I guess my question is, how to you retrain a five year old? And how long do I let her out to spend time with her? And when I do, she may pee on the carpet. It is too hot to take her outside and spend time with her. How do I make it so that she does not feel abandoned and hate her crate?

By Elizabeth N.

Most Recent Answer

By Barb Kominek [2]06/07/2011

You mentioned that your dog has back problems and has been sick. Have you spoken to your vet about the potty problems Abby has been having? If the dog was sick and treated with meds, is it possible that she may have some kidney problems, or a reaction to the meds? Do you have a doggy door in your house so Abby can get in and out as she needs to? The doggy door has been a real life saver for my two dogs. and no more accidents! Also, maybe Abby's back hurts so she won't go outside to go potty? Just some thoughts about the situation, maybe I have mentioned something that might help. Good luck! Give her lots of hugs and kisses!

I have a 6 year old Staffie. He started weeing and pooing in the house when my Akita died at 7 months. He still has my other dog who he has been with for all 6 years of his life. Could he be doing this because he has lost his playmate 4 months ago? I need help to keep him from doing this in the home.

By Angela from Durham, UK

Most Recent Answer

By Cindy [3]02/26/2011

I'm so sorry Angela. If it's not a health issue (schedule a routine health examine to eliminate that worry), I highly suspect your pup is sad, sad, sad. I've been a pet parent for decades, and it never ceases to amaze me how difficult it is for some of these furs to lose a housemate of any breed or species.

They miss their friends and don't understand why they are gone and they can become worried, insecure and act out of character (peeing and pooping in odd places to start the long list).

Every pet is different, but every pet needs at least three of the same things: Kindness, compassion and patience from his/her humans! Work with the fur guy and keep reminding him he need not fear his friend was "abandoned". (I know you didn't abandon this dog's "friend", and I am relatively sure your surviving dog probably knows so as well, but again, he is sad and he apparently needs more validation from you.) Carry on with your love!

Again, I believe kindness, compassion and patience will cure all of his ills but it may take some time and special attention to let his fright pass. Hope all goes well and take care!

Solutions: Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!