Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside

House training your dog takes patience and consistency. Even dogs that have been house trained may revert back to pooping and peeing in the house. Determining the cause may be difficult. This is a guide about dog peeing and pooping inside.

I have a dog. He is part Chi/Pom. I got him when he was 4 months old, he is now 1 and a half years. He was fully trained by me when I got him. We moved a year ago and had him retrained. My brother-in-law brought over his new dog and now he is pooing and peeing all over the house.

He has no health issues. He goes to the door every 1/2 hr, but only to mark his area then comes in and does his duty. He howls when outside and barks and growls all the time. He goes around in circles growling at himself and growls when anyone picks him up, including me. I have tried everything to stop him, from spraying cinnamon or vinegar along with Javex to disinfect.

Last week he peed on my couch for the first time, and has humped blankets, his bed, etc. He is very hyper, he chases the cat all over 3 floors until he is exhausted at least 3 - 4 times a day. He growls and snaps at people when you take a walk with him and refuses to poo outside. He doesn't eat like a normal dog, he picks out pieces of the dry food and puts the rest on the floor making a huge mess. He runs outside when he sees the opportunity to go down the main street, then he comes back when I shout to him. Thus he has to be chained outside each time he goes outside. I am afraid he is going to get hit by a car as it is very busy.

When I first got him the owners said he was a quiet dog, but he has been barking every since. I was told if he peed to rub nose in it, bad mistake wrong thing to do. I was told if he growled or showed any bad behavior to smack him on the nose, bad mistake too. I am desperately calling out for help in this. I am at my wits end with him. Please help me or I will have to get rid of him and I love him regardless.

Humping, peeing on your stuff, and growling when you pick him up are all signs of dominance.

As another commenter pointed out, we tend to treat these cute little dogs as our babies. But this is not a human baby. It is a nearly grown member of another species. The main problem is the dog doesn't have enough boundaries and discipline. He really thinks he doesn't have to listen to you.

I agree he needs training. But more importantly, YOU need training. If you were serious enough about it your dog would obey you instinctively. Because he doesn't I can tell that the energy you are projecting is too "soft" and he is running all over you.

Get training classes. They can't just focus on "tricks." Be sure you'll be taught to project so your dog will listen. If it only works when the trainer does it you'll be wasting your money.

I have a 16 month old male, neutered Schnauzer. He is house trained. He never goes upstairs in the house, but he sneaks out of my sight and goes down to the rec room and pees and poops down there always in the same spot. He goes to the far end of the room and goes just in front of the far wall.

We spend a lot of time at my boyfriend's house and he never does it while we are there, but as soon as I come home he does it again.

He is fed on a schedule and taken out and walked on a schedule and it's the same schedule here as at my boyfriend's house. He has been vet checked and is healthy. It's not necessarily when I go out that he does it. He just randomly sneaks downstairs and goes.

The only thought I have is that my adult son lives with me and his bedroom is in the basement. He is not home much between working and being at his girlfriend's and when he does come home he doesn't really pay much attention to the dog (even though the dog loves him to death) and I'm wondering if the peeing and pooping is an intentional thing to protest my son not being home or not giving him enough attention.

Does anyone have any suggestions? He has ruined my carpet downstairs and I'd really like to correct this before I get new carpet. I've done all the retaining stuff and it didn't make any difference. He knows to go outside and always does, but this behavior in the house has to stop.

Suggestions please!

Thanks for your time!

You are correct that your dog's behavior is connected to your son being away from home a lot. But your dog is not intentionally protesting that your son is away and trying to punish your son. He is trying to show your son how to find him. He doesn't know if your son has lost his way. He doesn't know that he is at work or with his girlfriend. He only knows that he is missing.

He must be very attached to your son to overcome his instinct to try to cover his pee and poop to avoid being found by predators. He is probably experiencing severe anxiety when he comes home and your son is not there.

Here are some suggestions to lessen his anxiety.

1. Place, around his room, some of your son's unwashed towels, stinky socks, sneakers, and other things like pillowcases, whatever has your son's scent. Even if you cannot smell it your dog can.

Place one of these right next to the door your dog comes through when you come home with him.

2. Get a continuous run tape and any tape player. Have your son talk to your dog or sing to him on the tape. Put the tape on a timer that lets it play for around 5 minutes, every half hour or so, or whatever you think works best.

3. Have your son make a video of himself where he can talk to your dog, or where he is doing anything where he can be recognized by your dog. Do not have him and your dog in the video because your dog will think it is another dog and may get jealous. If you wonder whether your dog will respond to the video have you son tell him the 'sit' command and see if he does it.

Here are two examples from animals I have cared for.

1. When my neighbor's son went to college her cat took up pooping on her son's pillow. He was trying to tell her son how to get back home and find him.

2. I was away in Florida, from Massachusetts, when my sister checked on my three cats. She could only find two of them. She put me on the speaker phone and as I gently called him he came quietly up the stairs from the basement and we knew he was OK.

The reason your dog does not poop in your boyfriend's place is because that is not his territory. He has no need to mark it.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

I have an American Akita who is about 18 months old. He can't seem to go through the night without peeing or pooping in my kitchen. We have an enclosed outside area for him which he can get to in the night, but doesn't. We have tried all sorts of cleaning products to get rid of the scent, but he still does it in the exact same place. We don't know what to do. We give him a bowl full of water in the morning and then with his dinner, but take it away at night. During the day he goes outside to do his business. Does anyone have any advise? I'm open to all suggestions.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

it sounds like you have to keep him crated at night. He will avoid voiding on his sleeping den, and then he will learn to hold it in.

In general, you have to catch him in the act to correct the behaviour. Barring that, crating him and thus teaching him when and where it's appropriate to defecate and urinate is the way to go

My 1 year old Staffie cross Shar Pei has recently started weeing and pooing on our rug. I think it may be because she has had less walks, but I took her on a really long walk today and we came back and she peed and pooed on the rug. What shall I do to stop this?

I would take her to the vet to make sure there is no urinary tract infection. Your dog needs to be walked at the same time each day.

My Pit Bull is 3 years old. He has the back door open all night, but lately he's been going in the kitchen more than once a night. What do I do?

Your 12 year old is elderly. If he is suffering from age related incontinence it might have triggered the others to start doing the same, mistakenly thinking he was marking his territory. I would start looking for solutions there. The vet should have a look and see if your senior dog is having trouble "holding it."

I have two Maltese dogs that poop and pee in the living room of the house every night. The male is 3 years old and the female is 2 years old. I want to keep them, but I am at the point to where if I don't get this taken care of soon I will take them to an animal shelter and just let them find them a new home. You wake up in the morning to this and have to pick it up every morning.

Have a question my mother lives with me she just got a 8mon old pomerian puppy he sleeps fine in his crate at night no accidents but he pees and poops all over my house he goes outside u think he's done going to the bathroom and comes in and will pee inside...we have other dogs they never pee or go in house why does he??? He's not fixed yet will that help??? He's adorable but wrecking my house???

I recently moved in with a friend and ever since I moved in her dog has been pooping on the floor. It's a 4 year old Yorkie who is trained to use a pee pad. She has a huge spacious bathroom where she keeps the pee pad and keeps him in there during the day. Ever since I moved in the dog has been pooping everywhere on his pad, the floor, and everyday in the bathtub.

I thought the dog was doing it because it was scared of me, but I've never yelled at it or hit it and often play with it whenever I'm home. It seems to like me and always tries to play with me. Prior to me moving in the dog never did this and his owner's schedule hasn't changed so he's not in there longer than he used to be.

The fact that you moved in is a big change in the dog's life, whether or not he likes you. He is going to have to be crated or confined to one area with gates until he is retrained. He needs positive reinforcement when he goes outside and the crate when he doesn't. He will learn.

I have a 10 month old Yorkie/Maltese. His natural routine was to go into the bathroom and pee/poo on paper that is always available. But for the last 2 days his suddenly behaving strangely. Yesterday he peed on my bed whilst playing on it and then this morning he stepped out of my room and just peed on the tile right outside my room door. This is so not him, what's gone wrong all of a sudden? I'm not sure if his scared after the fireworks, or because I yelled at him, or he is just behaving badly because he doesn't get to go outside. I am confused please help :-(

You may want to make sure he doesn't have a problem with his kidneys or bladder, because sometimes that is what this sort of behavior can indicate. It is also not good to yell or be angry at him. Once you've ruled out illness, you can set about retraining him.

I have a Maltese x Westie, who is 2 years old. He has a doggie door to use to go outside when he wants. He has, within the last 2 weeks, started to go to the laundry near our toilet to do his business during the night. I get up sometimes during the night to find this right next to the toilet door and as I have had a knee replacement sometimes have slipped in his wee as I haven't seen it before it's too late. Now he normally goes out before we retire to bed and up until recently always used to go out to do his business. How do I stop him from doing this please! What is the reason he is now doing this?

Thank you for your suggestions. We are doing that now with him to retrain him to see if that helps. I shall let you know :-)

I have a 10 yr. old, neutered, male Malti-poo who has recently been urinating and pooping in the house, but only while we are home! We recently purchased new living room furniture and put up a gate to prevent him from sitting on the furniture like he used to. Is he being spiteful? How do I correct his behavior?

I have a two and a half year old miniature yorkie that was given to me 3 weeks ago. His last owner allowed him to wee and poop wherever he liked I'm struggling to get him trained not to do it in the house. I take him out 4 times a day and he still comes in and decides to use the kitchen or any other part of the house.. HELP

My dog is a Shepherd mix. She has been pooping and peeing on new or clean carpet. It's always in the same hallway and it's everytime we rug clean the carpet. I just bought a runner for that hallway and now she makes sure she pees and poops on it as soon as she can. She is fully housetrained and has 24/7 acess to the backyard to go. Her food hasn't changed and she is very active and healthy! We do have 2 other dogs and they know she is the dominant and we have never had any issues with the other dogs doing this.

Thank you for the links i will check them out!

I have two small dogs, a Pomeranian/Poodle 5 years old and a Chihuahua/Yorkie 4 years old. Both are very well potty trained, but when it's raining outside they will not do their business outside. So I bought them both rain jackets and they won't do their business outside. Please somebody help me, what should I do?

My dog doesn't like getting her feet wet. Get your little ones doggie boots to keep their feet dry. It's a bit of a nuisance to put on/off, but get them used to wearing them in the house, so they'll get used to it long enough to go potty outdoors. Before investing in doggie boots, try those plastic lunch baggies and secure with a ribbon. If they lose any you're not out a great expense.

My small 8 year old Chorkie, who went blind 8 months ago, is going pee a lot in the house. She had been house trained before, but recently she's been peeing multiple times in the house. I know I cannot get mad at her since her bladder is so small, but this morning I woke up to two pee spots and a big poop. I've been making sure to take her out right before bed, but it still seems to happen. Our bedroom carpet is ruined and I haven't found something that works for that either. Please help. What should I do?

Your 8 year old dog may have a medical problem that needs attention now. Please take her to your vet for proper evaluation and treatment.

Our 3 year old Yorkie/Bichon mix was completely housetrained since we got him a 8 months old. He's never gone in the house. We moved 3 months ago to a new house, and he remained house trained. 6 weeks ago, our son got a guinea pig.

We do not allow the dog near the guinea pig because he has acted aggressively toward it when introduced. We keep them seperate now for the guinea pig's safety. Our 9 year old Shepherd mix isn't having this issue whatsoever. What can I do to stop the potty behavior in the house? We take him outside a lot and he does nothing and minutes after coming back into the house is pooping and peeing. Very frustrating.

Keep him on a leash and get him outside as soon as he looks like he's going to go. He goes everywhere with you and stays on the leash for a week at least.

My Shih Tzu is 3 years old and house trained. I use to take her out for a walk once in the morning and once in the afternoon until I had a fall, now a friend takes her. But now she has wet and pooped in the kitchen at night, every night. This is where she sleeps. I let her out before I go to bed, but she won't do anything then. Please help.

Why does your dog sleep in the kitchen?

Shih Tzus are dogs that were bred not to do anything at all except to be a companion to humans. They aren't ratters, hunters, water dogs, sled-pulling dogs or whatever. They were bred to sit in your lap.

Your dog needs to be in your room. If you're worried that she will "go" on the floor, put her in her crate right next to your bed so she can see you out of the front. It would be better if she could sleep with you, though.

Basically, your dog got scared when you had your fall and now she's stressed because she can't keep an eye on you.

I have a five year old Dachsie female (Abbie) who has regressed to puppy hood. She has had back trouble and has been sick. She pees on the carpet, so I have been keeping her in her crate. She does not drink much when she is in the crate and will not pee outside. After a few days, she will pee and poop on the floor because she cannot hold it.

I do not know the best way to train her again. I am used to her being with me all the time and feel mean to keep her in the crate. I don't know if this makes sense, but I need help. I guess my question is, how to you retrain a five year old? And how long do I let her out to spend time with her? And when I do, she may pee on the carpet. It is too hot to take her outside and spend time with her. How do I make it so that she does not feel abandoned and hate her crate?

By Elizabeth N.

Awww! Such a precious furbaby. She is so cute and what a pretty face. I also love Dashies. I used to have one also but she got too heavy and it broke her back down and her spine broke down into her spinal column and she passed away. I still miss her so much, her beautiful big brown eyes and her long flowing ears and short feet.

I have an 11 year male, a 5 year female that's been fixed, and a 2 year old male. I put them out before I go to bed and wake up to pee and poop. I've been putting paper down, taping pee pads to the wall where the males pee, and I pick up the food and water. They still do it. They have been doing this for a month and a half. The 2 year old is from the 11 year old and the 5 year old. The female was supposed to have been fixed when we got her. Does anybody have any ideas?

Sounds like your dogs are owning your house.

Ask yourself these questions:

Do your dogs charge the door, barking, whenever someone knocks on the door? Do they lunge at the fence or windows whenever a person or dog walks by?

Can you safely take a bone, toy, or food away from your dogs, or would you get bit?

Is anything valuable in your house destroyed, such as your sofa or comforter?

Do your dogs pull on the leash, go from side to side or try to get at other dogs while being walked?

If the answer is honestly "yes," your dogs need pack leader training. The goal is to help them actually listen to what you have to say.

There are DVD's. books and internet videos and articles available to help.

Here are a couple of links to help get you started: https://www.ces  /five-techniques

http://www.dogf  e-a-pack-leader/

I recently adopted a Chinese Crested mix. I brought her home with my other CC. She slept and was in a crate until I felt she could be trusted. She did not like being in the crate and after a few weeks I allowed her to begin sleeping in her bed. She only had two mishaps at the beginning and showed that she was fine over night.

I had her for about 4 weeks when we all went to visit my husband in Arizona. That's when the problems began. She did not like him, and she does show signs of not liking new people, especially men. She pooped and peed in the house. We have visited 3 more times and have tried all different techniques, but she still either poops or pees as soon as we get there. I have slept with her tethered to me and that seemed to help, but as soon as I give her freedom we find that she will pee again in the same bedroom.

When I go back to where I live and it's just she and I, there are no problems. No peeing or pooping, unless outside. I feed her once a day with treats in-between, but not excessively. She still doesn't like my husband and I just don't understand why she does it there but not in the home that I live in. She has once peed at a friend's house but never since.

Also when I am outside with her in the outside living area, she knows the difference and will only do her business when brought to an appropriate area. She knows the difference, but not when we visit my husband and our other dog. The two dogs get along fine, even though they don't play that much. She is not as affectionate as Benny is but she is very obedient with me.

She will not go near my husband even when he tries to give her a treat. I am at my wit's end. It may come down to her or a divorce. I know she is house broken, but he claims she is not because she goes in our house. Why doesn't she have the same problems in my house? Please help. What can I do to train her not to go in the house that we own together when we visit.
Thanks.

When it comes to relatonships the only time I got into trouble was when I didn't listen to my dog.

My dog Bodine is an Australian Shepherd/Chesapeake Bay Retriever. He is a great dog. He is 16 months old and has been trained for outside duties. However, the atmosphere in our homestead has changed. My husband and I are going through a divorce. My husband and oldest son tag team and are verbally abusing me. Just the last few days Bodine has been peeing by the chair my husband sits in and poops near the computer area.

I take him out every morning around 5am and he does his duty no problem at all. I take him out right before I go to bed which around midnight. All I have to do is say find a spot and get your shit on and he is on it. My sister thinks he is telling my husband that he is warning him due to way he treats me.

These last few days my husband and son have really been terrible to Bodine and I hope it does not destroy my goal of getting Bodine to be a service dog for my disability. I take him for walks at least a few times a week depending on my health. I am scared if I can not break these brief incidents my husband is going to do something to Bodine.

Then next thing you see they love on him and play with him that has to confused Bodine. I am open to all suggestions to break why he is doing this. He has such a great personality and I am so afraid the way he gets treated is going to ruin that great dog I see and know. Bodine loves me unconditionally and I know he will protect me. What I think is hurting us is that Bodine and I stay in my bedroom due to the abuse my husband and son do to me. Please help me break this revenge state I assume Bodine is on. Thank You.

There is no revenge involved. Dogs don't understand that.

Dogs are sensitive to an emotionally charged atmosphere. There are two packs in your house- your husband and son are one and Bodine and you are the second. The two packs are not getting along and Bodine is upset. He is also confused at why someone would treat you badly but then suddenly become friendly and playful. It is deceptive and dogs hate deception. There is no deception in the dog world. There is no way for a dog to say one thing and do another.

Bodine is mostly focused in on your energy. If you feel hurt, frightened and trapped, so does Bodine.

I find it interesting that you are more concerned for your dog's welfare than your own. I wonder how much punishment you will continue to take and what you think you did to deserve it. You can reach out if you try, but that would require believing that you are worth more than this. If you won't do it for yourself, do it for Bodine.

1-800-799-7233

My 2 year old bitch has been toilet trained from a very young age. We moved in December and she started sleeping in the kitchen. After a few months she started to go to the toilet in the night despite being put out before bed to do her business. She knows and uses the command, "go wee wee", and has done since 4 months, but now she seems to just sit in the corner and not bother going toilet before bed. I am at my wits end with it!

I wonder if there have been any other big changes for your dog? A similar thing happened to us when we moved apartments years ago. Our five year old pooch who was house trained started to pee and poop in the house. We realized he was stressed because the neighborhood was louder and there was a new roommate living with us. Our vet helped us realize there were lots of changes going on and our dog had regressed due to stress. We had to go back to basics and work with him like a puppy for a while (lots of positive reinforcement and treats when he did go outside and supervision when inside). But eventually he was ok and got house trained again. I hope you can figure out what's going on with your dog and get some relief! Good luck!

I have a 6 month old Bichon. He was neutured 2 weeks ago and ever since he pees and poops everywhere. He was potty trained before on the wee pad. What can I do now?

Please take him ASAP to your vet to check for a possible problem from the neutering and any other medical condition causing the current problem.

I left my 1 year old Cockapoo for the first time about a week ago with a wonderful woman in her home. There are a few other dogs also there. When I picked up "Oliver" (my Cockapoo) everything seemed fine.

Load More