Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside

House training your dog takes patience and consistency. Even dogs that have been house trained may revert back to pooping and peeing in the house. Determining the cause may be difficult. This is a guide about dog peeing and pooping inside.

guilty dog
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My 10 year old Min Pin has started to pee and poop on my floors. She has been housebroken to paper her whole life and never did this until few months ago. The only thing that is different is I got a cat about a year and a half ago. Up until a few months ago she played with him, but now she does not want him to bother her. She is a diabetic and has seizures.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a Maltese x Westie, who is 2 years old. He has a doggie door to use to go outside when he wants. He has, within the last 2 weeks, started to go to the laundry near our toilet to do his business during the night. I get up sometimes during the night to find this right next to the toilet door and as I have had a knee replacement sometimes have slipped in his wee as I haven't seen it before it's too late. Now he normally goes out before we retire to bed and up until recently always used to go out to do his business. How do I stop him from doing this please! What is the reason he is now doing this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I hadn't heard that. Thanks.

Read More Answers...

My small 8 year old Chorkie, who went blind 8 months ago, is going pee a lot in the house. She had been house trained before, but recently she's been peeing multiple times in the house. I know I cannot get mad at her since her bladder is so small, but this morning I woke up to two pee spots and a big poop. I've been making sure to take her out right before bed, but it still seems to happen. Our bedroom carpet is ruined and I haven't found something that works for that either. Please help. What should I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May I suggest buying an enclosed pen or crate , that she can sleep in at night in the garage. She may not be happy at first but if you can ignore her barking , after a few nights she will settle down. Make sure it is a roomy one that you can line in newspaper so she can freely wee if she needs to.

Read More Answers...

I recently adopted a Chinese Crested mix. I brought her home with my other CC. She slept and was in a crate until I felt she could be trusted. She did not like being in the crate and after a few weeks I allowed her to begin sleeping in her bed. She only had two mishaps at the beginning and showed that she was fine over night.

I had her for about 4 weeks when we all went to visit my husband in Arizona. That's when the problems began. She did not like him, and she does show signs of not liking new people, especially men. She pooped and peed in the house. We have visited 3 more times and have tried all different techniques, but she still either poops or pees as soon as we get there. I have slept with her tethered to me and that seemed to help, but as soon as I give her freedom we find that she will pee again in the same bedroom.

When I go back to where I live and it's just she and I, there are no problems. No peeing or pooping, unless outside. I feed her once a day with treats in-between, but not excessively. She still doesn't like my husband and I just don't understand why she does it there but not in the home that I live in. She has once peed at a friend's house but never since.

Also when I am outside with her in the outside living area, she knows the difference and will only do her business when brought to an appropriate area. She knows the difference, but not when we visit my husband and our other dog. The two dogs get along fine, even though they don't play that much. She is not as affectionate as Benny is but she is very obedient with me.

She will not go near my husband even when he tries to give her a treat. I am at my wit's end. It may come down to her or a divorce. I know she is house broken, but he claims she is not because she goes in our house. Why doesn't she have the same problems in my house? Please help. What can I do to train her not to go in the house that we own together when we visit.
        Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When it comes to relatonships the only time I got into trouble was when I didn't listen to my dog.

Our 3 year old Yorkie/Bichon mix was completely housetrained since we got him a 8 months old. He's never gone in the house. We moved 3 months ago to a new house, and he remained house trained. 6 weeks ago, our son got a guinea pig.

We do not allow the dog near the guinea pig because he has acted aggressively toward it when introduced. We keep them seperate now for the guinea pig's safety. Our 9 year old Shepherd mix isn't having this issue whatsoever. What can I do to stop the potty behavior in the house? We take him outside a lot and he does nothing and minutes after coming back into the house is pooping and peeing. Very frustrating.

white dog
            AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dog is jealous and doesn't want to give up his position for receiving much attention. I suggest the family speak out using the dog's name often, so the dog understands it is not being cast aside. I had trouble from my female dog when a new pup became a member to our family. Be patient and love on the dog showing it is not forgotten or cast aside. Pets have feelings too and act out in ways since they cannot speak to us, it is done by their behavior. It does not mean you should allow the dog to continue its bathroom duties indoors, but fewer messes with time should be signs the dog's improving/accepting this change.

Read More Answers...

My dog is a Shepherd mix. She has been pooping and peeing on new or clean carpet. It's always in the same hallway and it's everytime we rug clean the carpet. I just bought a runner for that hallway and now she makes sure she pees and poops on it as soon as she can. She is fully housetrained and has 24/7 acess to the backyard to go. Her food hasn't changed and she is very active and healthy! We do have 2 other dogs and they know she is the dominant and we have never had any issues with the other dogs doing this.

reddish dog on carpet runner
              AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You're taking her scent away and she's trying to put it back.

Your problem is that your dog doesn't see you as head of the household. She has herself in that role. You are disrespecting your "pack leader" by removing her scent that marks her territory.

You really need to be seen in a leadership position in your own house. Here are some links to give you some ideas of how to accomplish this. The type of training you need to use is called pack leader training.

Shop around and find a training course you're most comfortable with.

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-psychology/five-techniques

http://www.cbrrescue.org/articles/packleader.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Be-Pack-Leader-Cesars-Transform/dp/0307381676

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Whisperer ... 160_&refRID=0A0Z5PN3TS1E47E6MPC8

Read More Answers...

My dog Bodine is an Australian Shepherd/Chesapeake Bay Retriever. He is a great dog. He is 16 months old and has been trained for outside duties. However, the atmosphere in our homestead has changed. My husband and I are going through a divorce. My husband and oldest son tag team and are verbally abusing me. Just the last few days Bodine has been peeing by the chair my husband sits in and poops near the computer area.

I take him out every morning around 5am and he does his duty no problem at all. I take him out right before I go to bed which around midnight. All I have to do is say find a spot and get your shit on and he is on it. My sister thinks he is telling my husband that he is warning him due to way he treats me.

These last few days my husband and son have really been terrible to Bodine and I hope it does not destroy my goal of getting Bodine to be a service dog for my disability. I take him for walks at least a few times a week depending on my health. I am scared if I can not break these brief incidents my husband is going to do something to Bodine.

Then next thing you see they love on him and play with him that has to confused Bodine. I am open to all suggestions to break why he is doing this. He has such a great personality and I am so afraid the way he gets treated is going to ruin that great dog I see and know. Bodine loves me unconditionally and I know he will protect me. What I think is hurting us is that Bodine and I stay in my bedroom due to the abuse my husband and son do to me. Please help me break this revenge state I assume Bodine is on. Thank You.

Divorcing and Dog Peeing Inside
                AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is no revenge involved. Dogs don't understand that.

Dogs are sensitive to an emotionally charged atmosphere. There are two packs in your house- your husband and son are one and Bodine and you are the second. The two packs are not getting along and Bodine is upset. He is also confused at why someone would treat you badly but then suddenly become friendly and playful. It is deceptive and dogs hate deception. There is no deception in the dog world. There is no way for a dog to say one thing and do another.

Bodine is mostly focused in on your energy. If you feel hurt, frightened and trapped, so does Bodine.

I find it interesting that you are more concerned for your dog's welfare than your own. I wonder how much punishment you will continue to take and what you think you did to deserve it. You can reach out if you try, but that would require believing that you are worth more than this. If you won't do it for yourself, do it for Bodine.

1-800-799-7233

I have a 6 month old Bichon. He was neutured 2 weeks ago and ever since he pees and poops everywhere. He was potty trained before on the wee pad. What can I do now?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take him ASAP to your vet to check for a possible problem from the neutering and any other medical condition causing the current problem.

I have two small dogs, a Pomeranian/Poodle 5 years old and a Chihuahua/Yorkie 4 years old. Both are very well potty trained, but when it's raining outside they will not do their business outside. So I bought them both rain jackets and they won't do their business outside. Please somebody help me, what should I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you don't live in an HOA, can you put up an inexpensive canopy in your backyard? They might go under that.

Another solution might be to keep a box of sod on the porch or patio where it is dry and let them go there.

Read More Answers...

I have a 2 year old Maltese. She was trained to go on her doggy pad, but lately she's been going on the side of the pad. She even pooped and peed on my bed. She always sleeps with me, but I had to stop it because I came home one day from work and she had pooped and peed on my bed. I'm confused. Can someone help me; what can I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, first take her to the vet and rule out an infection, kidney trouble, or bladder trouble.

It could be separation anxiety. How long are you usually gone? Do you go out after work or stay in?

Also, have there been any changes to your household lately?

If you come up with nothing, try training her again, like you did when she was a puppy.

My Shih Tzu is 3 years old and house trained. I use to take her out for a walk once in the morning and once in the afternoon until I had a fall, now a friend takes her. But now she has wet and pooped in the kitchen at night, every night. This is where she sleeps. I let her out before I go to bed, but she won't do anything then. Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why does your dog sleep in the kitchen?

Shih Tzus are dogs that were bred not to do anything at all except to be a companion to humans. They aren't ratters, hunters, water dogs, sled-pulling dogs or whatever. They were bred to sit in your lap.

Your dog needs to be in your room. If you're worried that she will "go" on the floor, put her in her crate right next to your bed so she can see you out of the front. It would be better if she could sleep with you, though.

Basically, your dog got scared when you had your fall and now she's stressed because she can't keep an eye on you.

I have an 11 year male, a 5 year female that's been fixed, and a 2 year old male. I put them out before I go to bed and wake up to pee and poop. I've been putting paper down, taping pee pads to the wall where the males pee, and I pick up the food and water. They still do it. They have been doing this for a month and a half. The 2 year old is from the 11 year old and the 5 year old. The female was supposed to have been fixed when we got her. Does anybody have any ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You said you let your dogs out when you go to bed and when you get up. Is there anyone to let them out during the day? Morning to evening would be too long for them to wait to go out. 6 hours is about it for a mature dog.

Read More Answers...

I've had dogs all my life, but I don't understand or know where to go with our 6 year old Shepherd cross. She is the top dog in our household, we have 3. We haven't had any issues with her at all until we moved. Now she's constantly peeing and pooping in our new house! They're all in the house more often than not these days because we don't have adequate fences just yet for them to live outside.

Anyway, we had her checked over at the vet and she's healthy. There is nothing wrong with her at all, but it seems that anytime she doesn't get what she wants, she pees and sometimes poops in her room. She pees then my other dog pees next to it, it's getting ridiculous!

I've come to the conclusion that it's because she's not getting her way only because when we have them in our room at night she doesn't make a mess, but when she's in her room not crated she'll pee and poop all over the place! I usually crate them at night just to save myself the frustration of cleaning up after them. She's also started to "talk back" when she wants something, she'll grumble until she gets what she wants, it's usually at breakfast or dinner time or when she wants attention. I guess I've slipped and I'm no longer the Alfa in regards to my dogs.

I feel like I'm at the end of my rope here! I had them crated last night, let them out this morning they did their business, I came back in fed them, and then left them in the living room while I went back to bed. Which I've done countless times before, but I accidently left their bedroom door open. I woke up to find that they'd peed and pooped in there again! I've tried everything to stop them from going in there, maybe it's just because the room has been marked by them and they think it's OK to go in there? I have tried everything to get the smell out of there, but dogs noses are better than humans so. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

Housetrained Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
                            AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You will need to do pack leader training with all of your dogs.

Here are some links to get you started:

https://www.cesarsway.com/shop/short-guide-to-a-happy-dog

http://theonlinedogtrainer.com/becoming-the-pack-leader/

My 2 year old bitch has been toilet trained from a very young age. We moved in December and she started sleeping in the kitchen. After a few months she started to go to the toilet in the night despite being put out before bed to do her business. She knows and uses the command, "go wee wee", and has done since 4 months, but now she seems to just sit in the corner and not bother going toilet before bed. I am at my wits end with it!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should consider taking her to your vet to make sure there are no medical problems. Your vet can also provide suggestions and resources that can help you help your dog change her behavior.

Read More Answers...
                              Load More
                              Pets Dogs House TrainingJune 28, 2013
                              Dog Standing on Carpet
                              Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
                              A no dog pooping sign in someone's lawn.
                              Keeping Dogs From Pooping on Grass
                              Dog Peeing on Another Dog
                              Dog Peeing on Another Dog
                              Dog on Concrete
                              Dog Pooping and Peeing on Concrete
                              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:05:13 PM on 10.0.0.37 in 361 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.