Browsing: Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside

House training your dog takes patience and consistency. Even dogs that have been house trained may revert back to pooping and peeing in the house. Determining the cause may be difficult. This is a guide about dog peeing and pooping inside.

guilty dog
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 17, 2016 Flag

I have an American Akita who is about 18 months old. He can't seem to go through the night without peeing or pooping in my kitchen. We have an enclosed outside area for him which he can get to in the night, but doesn't. We have tried all sorts of cleaning products to get rid of the scent, but he still does it in the exact same place. We don't know what to do. We give him a bowl full of water in the morning and then with his dinner, but take it away at night. During the day he goes outside to do his business. Does anyone have any advise? I'm open to all suggestions.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 29, 2016 Flag

I have a Maltese x Westie, who is 2 years old. He has a doggie door to use to go outside when he wants. He has, within the last 2 weeks, started to go to the laundry near our toilet to do his business during the night. I get up sometimes during the night to find this right next to the toilet door and as I have had a knee replacement sometimes have slipped in his wee as I haven't seen it before it's too late. Now he normally goes out before we retire to bed and up until recently always used to go out to do his business. How do I stop him from doing this please! What is the reason he is now doing this?

I hadn't heard that. Thanks.

Read More Answers...

May 30, 2016 Flag

I have a 10 yr. old, neutered, male Malti-poo who has recently been urinating and pooping in the house, but only while we are home! We recently purchased new living room furniture and put up a gate to prevent him from sitting on the furniture like he used to. Is he being spiteful? How do I correct his behavior?

First of all, he is not being spiteful. you'll hear people say that, but spite is a human emotion. Dogs don't think that way.

Dogs think in terms of territory. Your house smells and looks different, causing anxiety and a feeling that he needs to mark his territory.

He also doesn't understand why the rules suddenly changed but knows it has something to do with that furniture.

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. He's 10, you should not change the rules on him now. Throw slipcovers on everything and take the gate down. You may still have to deal with some accidents, but he will never calm down until he realizes everything is okay like it was before.

January 11, 2016 Flag

My dog is a Shepherd mix. She has been pooping and peeing on new or clean carpet. It's always in the same hallway and it's everytime we rug clean the carpet. I just bought a runner for that hallway and now she makes sure she pees and poops on it as soon as she can. She is fully housetrained and has 24/7 acess to the backyard to go. Her food hasn't changed and she is very active and healthy! We do have 2 other dogs and they know she is the dominant and we have never had any issues with the other dogs doing this.

reddish dog on carpet runner

Yes shes fixed....i use the same cleaners all the time, and have made sure she can't be in that area and after a week she runes right back and does it again.

Read More Answers...

July 1, 2016 Flag

I am living with my daughter and we all went to a shelter and adopted Pixel a Chiweenie. She was already potty trained and absolutely fits us perfectly. We have had her over 6 months. I live in the basement. I got new carpet and as soon as she came downstairs she went pee. The next time she went poo. Now everytime she finds her way downstairs she poos. I started shutting my door and so now she poos at the bottom of the stairs in front of the door. What in the world do we do? I hate not allowing her downstairs with me. I can't let her out of my sight when she is downstairs. Help!

March 16, 2016 Flag

My small 8 year old Chorkie, who went blind 8 months ago, is going pee a lot in the house. She had been house trained before, but recently she's been peeing multiple times in the house. I know I cannot get mad at her since her bladder is so small, but this morning I woke up to two pee spots and a big poop. I've been making sure to take her out right before bed, but it still seems to happen. Our bedroom carpet is ruined and I haven't found something that works for that either. Please help. What should I do?

May I suggest buying an enclosed pen or crate , that she can sleep in at night in the garage. She may not be happy at first but if you can ignore her barking , after a few nights she will settle down. Make sure it is a roomy one that you can line in newspaper so she can freely wee if she needs to.

Read More Answers...

February 18, 2016 Flag

Our 3 year old Yorkie/Bichon mix was completely housetrained since we got him a 8 months old. He's never gone in the house. We moved 3 months ago to a new house, and he remained house trained. 6 weeks ago, our son got a guinea pig. white dog

We do not allow the dog near the guinea pig because he has acted aggressively toward it when introduced. We keep them seperate now for the guinea pig's safety. Our 9 year old Shepherd mix isn't having this issue whatsoever. What can I do to stop the potty behavior in the house? We take him outside a lot and he does nothing and minutes after coming back into the house is pooping and peeing. Very frustrating.

Your dog is jealous and doesn't want to give up his position for receiving much attention. I suggest the family speak out using the dog's name often, so the dog understands it is not being cast aside. I had trouble from my female dog when a new pup became a member to our family. Be patient and love on the dog showing it is not forgotten or cast aside. Pets have feelings too and act out in ways since they cannot speak to us, it is done by their behavior. It does not mean you should allow the dog to continue its bathroom duties indoors, but fewer messes with time should be signs the dog's improving/accepting this change.

Read More Answers...

June 16, 2016 Flag

I have a Chihuahua, I have had him since he was a puppy, about 3 years now. I take him out to every morning and the kids take him out in the afternoon then I do it again at night. No matter how many times a day he goes out, if we leave a door open he will immediately jump on the bed and pee or poop. It doesn't matter whose bed it is or what time it is. He could just be coming in from outside and will still do this. Any advise as to why or how can I stop it. I always keep my door closed, but my kids may not always remember to do so.

March 20, 2016 Flag

I recently adopted a Chinese Crested mix. I brought her home with my other CC. She slept and was in a crate until I felt she could be trusted. She did not like being in the crate and after a few weeks I allowed her to begin sleeping in her bed. She only had two mishaps at the beginning and showed that she was fine over night.

I had her for about 4 weeks when we all went to visit my husband in Arizona. That's when the problems began. She did not like him, and she does show signs of not liking new people, especially men. She pooped and peed in the house. We have visited 3 more times and have tried all different techniques, but she still either poops or pees as soon as we get there. I have slept with her tethered to me and that seemed to help, but as soon as I give her freedom we find that she will pee again in the same bedroom.

When I go back to where I live and it's just she and I, there are no problems. No peeing or pooping, unless outside. I feed her once a day with treats in-between, but not excessively. She still doesn't like my husband and I just don't understand why she does it there but not in the home that I live in. She has once peed at a friend's house but never since.

Also when I am outside with her in the outside living area, she knows the difference and will only do her business when brought to an appropriate area. She knows the difference, but not when we visit my husband and our other dog. The two dogs get along fine, even though they don't play that much. She is not as affectionate as Benny is but she is very obedient with me.

She will not go near my husband even when he tries to give her a treat. I am at my wit's end. It may come down to her or a divorce. I know she is house broken, but he claims she is not because she goes in our house. Why doesn't she have the same problems in my house? Please help. What can I do to train her not to go in the house that we own together when we visit.
                  Thanks.

When it comes to relatonships the only time I got into trouble was when I didn't listen to my dog.

December 23, 2015 Flag

My Shih Tzu is 3 years old and house trained. I use to take her out for a walk once in the morning and once in the afternoon until I had a fall, now a friend takes her. But now she has wet and pooped in the kitchen at night, every night. This is where she sleeps. I let her out before I go to bed, but she won't do anything then. Please help.

My little shih tzu sleeps with me, and he never wets the bed. He does, however, have a bad habit of getting up some nights and rather then using the doggy door to go outside, he pees in my chair. I started putting a tray with some books on it on the chair, and he's fine with that, but when I forget, he's back to peeing in the chair. I love him to death, but I'm frustrated. Now, I understand a little more about it.

Read More Answers...

February 24, 2016 Flag

My dog Bodine is an Australian Shepherd/Chesapeake Bay Retriever. He is a great dog. He is 16 months old and has been trained for outside duties. However, the atmosphere in our homestead has changed. My husband and I are going through a divorce. My husband and oldest son tag team and are verbally abusing me. Just the last few days Bodine has been peeing by the chair my husband sits in and poops near the computer area. Divorcing and Dog Peeing Inside

I take him out every morning around 5am and he does his duty no problem at all. I take him out right before I go to bed which around midnight. All I have to do is say find a spot and get your shit on and he is on it. My sister thinks he is telling my husband that he is warning him due to way he treats me.

These last few days my husband and son have really been terrible to Bodine and I hope it does not destroy my goal of getting Bodine to be a service dog for my disability. I take him for walks at least a few times a week depending on my health. I am scared if I can not break these brief incidents my husband is going to do something to Bodine.

Then next thing you see they love on him and play with him that has to confused Bodine. I am open to all suggestions to break why he is doing this. He has such a great personality and I am so afraid the way he gets treated is going to ruin that great dog I see and know. Bodine loves me unconditionally and I know he will protect me. What I think is hurting us is that Bodine and I stay in my bedroom due to the abuse my husband and son do to me. Please help me break this revenge state I assume Bodine is on. Thank You.

There is no revenge involved. Dogs don't understand that.

Dogs are sensitive to an emotionally charged atmosphere. There are two packs in your house- your husband and son are one and Bodine and you are the second. The two packs are not getting along and Bodine is upset. He is also confused at why someone would treat you badly but then suddenly become friendly and playful. It is deceptive and dogs hate deception. There is no deception in the dog world. There is no way for a dog to say one thing and do another.

Bodine is mostly focused in on your energy. If you feel hurt, frightened and trapped, so does Bodine.

I find it interesting that you are more concerned for your dog's welfare than your own. I wonder how much punishment you will continue to take and what you think you did to deserve it. You can reach out if you try, but that would require believing that you are worth more than this. If you won't do it for yourself, do it for Bodine.

1-800-799-7233

November 9, 2015 Flag

I have two small dogs, a Pomeranian/Poodle 5 years old and a Chihuahua/Yorkie 4 years old. Both are very well potty trained, but when it's raining outside they will not do their business outside. So I bought them both rain jackets and they won't do their business outside. Please somebody help me, what should I do?

If you don't live in an HOA, can you put up an inexpensive canopy in your backyard? They might go under that.

Another solution might be to keep a box of sod on the porch or patio where it is dry and let them go there.

Read More Answers...

February 13, 2016 Flag

I have a 6 month old Bichon. He was neutured 2 weeks ago and ever since he pees and poops everywhere. He was potty trained before on the wee pad. What can I do now?

Please take him ASAP to your vet to check for a possible problem from the neutering and any other medical condition causing the current problem.

January 6, 2016 Flag

I have a 2 year old Maltese. She was trained to go on her doggy pad, but lately she's been going on the side of the pad. She even pooped and peed on my bed. She always sleeps with me, but I had to stop it because I came home one day from work and she had pooped and peed on my bed. I'm confused. Can someone help me; what can I do?

Well, first take her to the vet and rule out an infection, kidney trouble, or bladder trouble.

It could be separation anxiety. How long are you usually gone? Do you go out after work or stay in?

Also, have there been any changes to your household lately?

If you come up with nothing, try training her again, like you did when she was a puppy.

Load More
                              Pets Dogs House TrainingJune 28, 2013
                              Dog Standing on Carpet
                              Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
                              A no dog pooping sign in someone's lawn.
                              Keeping Dogs From Pooping on Grass
                              Dog Peeing on Another Dog
                              Dog Peeing on Another Dog
                              Dog on Concrete
                              Dog Pooping and Peeing on Concrete
                              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 8:03:28 PM on 10.0.1.157 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.