Dog Won't Eat

When your pet stops eating, determining the cause is the first step in resolving the issue. This is a guide about dog won't eat.

Boxer Dog

If your boxer is not eating it could be a the sign of a serious issue that requires veterinary help. This is a guide about my boxer is not eating.

Chihuahua

If your Chihuahua has stopped eating this could be a sign the dog needs veterinary help. This is a guide about my chihuahua is not eating.

White and Brown Pit Bull Laying down with head up.

The reasons a dog won't eat may be due to stress, sickness or blocked intestines. When your Pit Bull isn't eating it is important to find the cause immediately.

Dachshund laying next to bowl not eating.

This is a guide about my Dachshund is not eating. When trips to the vet fail to determine why your pet has stopped eating it is time to take other measures.

Pekingese dog.

This is a guide about my Pekingese is not eating. Encouraging a picky dog to eat can be a challenge. Likewise getting a spoiled dog to eat pet food rather than your food is a process.

Small dog looking sad next to a red bowl of dog food.

This is a guide about dog won't eat after being spayed. Spaying is a major medical procedure. Your dog may not be very interested in food after the surgery.

Dog stairs at dog food bowl while woman sits beside him with her hands raised while shrugging her shoulders

This is a guide about dog will only eat people food. Trying to transition a dog from people food to dog food can be a frustrating process.

sad dog

This is a guide about a dog not eating after other family dog died. Pets can also experience a sense of loss when another pet dies.

Our white Shih Tzu isn't eating. She's drinking a little, but we can't figure out why she's not eating and getting weaker. She's also grunting and coughing. Anyone know why she might be doing this?

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

She may have a blockage in her intestines she can't pass.

What can I feed my small dog he only weights 12 pounds? I have tried everything on the market and he will only eat a few bites. All he wants is people food and that's not good for him. I have even made homemade gravy to pour over his food. Should I try canned cat food or dry? That I haven't done yet. I'm going crazy over this dog I call Beanie. Please can you help?

Thanks.

By Gloria from Cedar City

Best Answer

Sometimes, warming up the food helps. What food are you feeding? I am no expert. I do not know if puppy is eating kibble or not, but if she is, you can add warm water to kibble. It should bring up aroma and she may want to eat it more.

Or is it possible that you are putting the food out all day long? If so, you can feed it only when it is meal time.

My 17 yr old dog has totally quit eating her food. I tried to ignore it as usually a dog will go back to eating once hungry enough. She lost 10 plus pounds and I have given her cat food and baby food and she gobbles up both. She will not eat chicken broth either I tried that. At 17 and being so skinny is cat food really that bad for her? I have been mixing rice in with the food to keep her from getting the runs.

By Courtney

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

I bet that your dog has a tooth problem. If he/she is only eating food that is soft and mushy (baby food/rice etd) and refusing food that would need chewing (the chicken) I bet she/he has a toothache and it hurts to chew and break up food with its teeth. Get your dog to the vet as he will spot a bad tooth straight away. My 16 year old cat was the same. The tooth came out and he's tucking into his food again.

We have a one year old German Shepherd and she will either eat a lot of dry dog food then throw up or goes days eating very little. My vet said to feed her small portions and there has been no change. She throws up at least 1 a week. I have tried making food for her such as chicken, steak, etc.

Missy's ribs are also showing, but the research I have done says that this is normal for German Shepherd until they get older. I will take any suggestions and may need to try to find another vet.

Thanks

By tsnowman from Lynchburg, VA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Has your dog been checked for heartworms lately? Also, if it was me and my vet didn't help me I would get a new vet. I had to do that when one of my dogs had skin allergies so bad he was losing weight and hair. Now, I have a wonderful vet .She even does house calls.

Today I rescued a small Yorkie; he was in the middle of a very busy road. He acts very skittish as if he's either been beaten or on his own for a long time. I've tried to feed him and give him water with no success! He's very bony and little and it worries me that there might be something else wrong. I always take a gamble bringing rescued animals into my house with other animals. I have two cats and another dog inside and I am terrified that this little Yorkie has something! When I picked him up he was panting very hard. He did drink a tiny bit of water out of my hand, but other than that he hasn't eaten or drunk anything since 1 o'clock this afternoon. Please help me figure this out.

Best Answer

He will begin to eat when he is gets real hungry and thirsty. If you can't find the owner and you plan on keeping him, take the dog to a vet.

My Black Lab won't eat her food anymore. All she wants is her treats and she is starting to lose weight. What should I do?

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Have her checked out by your vet. There is most likely something going on that needs a Vets' attention. Don't wait.

We rescued this girl 6 months ago. She wouldn't eat the dog food the shelter had so I tried 6 others. She eats a bowl when she first gets it, but after that she'll go a week without eating. She's been checked by a vet. When she came home she had ring worm and hook worm, which is fixed. I don't know if there's something wrong. I tried mixing it with egg, gravy, so much stuff. She just won't eat. Please help! I love this dog sooooo much.

By Anna from MA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

How old is the dog and have you had her teeth checked to make sure she doesn't have any broken or cracked teeth that make it hard to eat.

When ever I get a new rescue dog, for the first week, I actually hand feed it canned food and gradully add dry food. Some dog foods are better and though I prefer Lamb and Rice for my dogs, even mine snub it but know it's all they're going to get.

I had one rescue that I probably spent $150 before I found something she liked. She finally liked Kibbles and Bits but if you don't close the bag super tight, the food quickly dries out.

There were a couple of dogs who refused to eat any sort of dog food because they were use to eating out of trash cans and had to be taught to eat out of a bowl. With super fussy dogs I keep brown rice mixed with chicken in small containers in my freezer and even the fussiest of the rescues would eat it.

She looks like she may have some boxer in her and if her bite is off it may hurt her to eat and also check her teeth and make sure she doesn't have any dry kibble stuck between her them.

My 7 year old Schnauzer has started going under the bed and will not come out, even for food. Does anyone have any ideas? I dragged him out, gave him a kiss and a hug, and he went right back under the bed. Could it be the heat or hormones or what?

By Jrtjingles from Pensacola, FL

Best Answer

I'm gonna say pain, bring the dog to the vet as soon as you can. When my mini Schnauzer had a very painful surgery a few years ago, she did this not long after I had gotten her home. I called my vet and he said that that is the way they behave when they are in pain (he had given her pain meds before she left the office but it must have worn off). I ushered her back to the vet and he gave her another shot of meds. After this, I kept her on a strict pain med schedule for the first few days so the pain would not return and she never hid again.

If this is not normal for your dog, don't assume it's hearing loss, or needing alone time or anything else. Go to a vet.

We rescued a Chiweenie four years ago. She is now about 10 years old. When we got her we had a hard time finding the right food for her, but she has done very well the last two years. She had begun to get a little overweight so we cut back her meal size just a bit. She's now at a healthy weight.

The last few weeks after I put her food out, she has been either eating a few bites and laying down right next to the bowl or moving it and just laying next to it. A few times she actually laid her head on the bowl. She will eat most of what is in the bowl after a bit, but only if I sit at the table near her. I'm thinking she is stressed as we are expecting our first child in less than 2 months. But I wasn't sure if there maybe something else going on. I'm glad she is eating, just not sure if this is a problem or not.

Best Answer

Your dog may have a medical problem that needs checking now as she is not interested in eating. She may have a problem now or, if she does not get enough nutrients, her immunity will be low and she will be open to any bug running around so good idea to check.

Also, as you will have a baby very soon, best to see what the problem is now rather than wait to check on your dog's problem with a new baby in tow!

My Shih Tzu/Poodle mix, male hasn't eaten in 2 days and won't eat anything put in front off him. He's fine though and there are no physical or behavioral changes. Is this normal?

Best Answer

As long as he drinks water this behavior isn't particularly unusual. Dogs go "off their feed" when their stomachs are upset.

This is not an emergency, but if it continues for another day, make an appointment to see the vet. It is possible that something else is wrong, like a bad tooth, and simple stomach upset really shouldn't take that long to clear up.

My dog hasn't eaten for two days. She's really skinny with ribs showing. I tried feeding her dog food and human food, but she does not want to eat. She only drank a little water and I can't afford a vet. What should I do? She's a Chihuahua and already had kids, but is still less than a year old in human years.

By Beatrice

Best Answer

You must get veterinary care for your dog. Call your local vets and ask if they have a fund to help pets of people who cannot pay. You can call your humane society and they will take the dog and get care for it if you surrender the dog to them. It will then be adopted. Sometimes local dog rescues will take your dog. Some vets have a credit plan you can use that is interest free. But you must do something right NOW.

I have a 2 year old female Shih Tzu. She didn't have a problem with her eating habits until recently. She doesn't eat dog food, only human food (like chicken). 3 days ago, we tried to put dog food (Pedigree) together with her chicken lunch. She obviously didn't like it as she immediately threw it up. Earlier this day at 7am, she started to eat already, but after an hour or so she vomitted what she ate, undigested. We gave her dinner again this evening at 7pm and she ate it again, but after an hour or so, she vomitted it again, undigested.

Was it because she didn't like the meal we gave her? We're so worried.

By Rianne

Best Answer

I would be worried too. I would be getting to the vet as soon as possible. The food may be off, but many other possibilities exist, and only your vet can sort them out. Do not wait to get your dog the help she deserves. Things can get much worse if you wait.

I have a 12 yr. old German Shepherd mix male dog. I went to the vet and everything, he checked out fine. We took him in because he drinks a lot of water and all of a sudden he stopped eating his dog food.

We mix it with wet for 12 yr. and add water. We even switched food. He doesn't get much table scraps to live on and he gets one Greenie a day. He just won't eat. I've hand fed him.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next? Any help besides he'll eat when he's hungry? I'm use to him eating once a day. He use to eat twice. I know his metabolism is low. But what else can I do for him?

By _Snug212_ from Hag., MD

Best Answer

I would get a second opinion. I wish I had done that with my dog that passed on. One vet said he was fine and she died the next morning.

I have a two year old Boston Terrier. He has not eaten anything in two days except 1 small piece of tripe, he is drinking well. I have offered a variety of foods and he is not intrested. No vomiting or loose stool.
Can dogs get colds (as such) our heating has not been working (due to be fixed tomorrow). I am wondering if he is cold even though I gave him extra blankets.
Please help.

By Martina U.

Best Answer

By the way, this may not be a cold at all, but a tooth that is hurting him. Be sure to have that checked.

I have a 5 year old Rhodie and for the last 3 years or so, he doesn't want to eat. We used to have to portion him as a pup because he wanted to eat everything all the time, but somewhere around 2, he decided that he didn't want to eat anymore.

The vet suggested doing a chicken and rice diet to "re-set" him and he ate that fine, but within a few weeks, he didn't even want the chicken and rice. So we went back to the high quality kibble he was on before and he ate fine. Then a few weeks later he wouldn't want it. So we tried a new food and he ate again. He has been in this cycle for 3 years. We give a food (or treat topper, like cottage cheese or wet food) that he is excited about and he eats twice a day like normal, then one day he just won't eat it. Then after a few missed meals, he vomits bile and we desperately try to get him to eat (new food or topper). That is our cycle: new food, eats, stops eating, vomits, new food, eats, stops eating, vomits. It is so frustrating because he liked the food well enough yesterday.

He has had regular checkups and the vet hasn't noticed anything. My husband hasn't wanted to bring it up anymore to the vet because the dog will eat if we give him something new, but I worry about all the throwing up and changing diet. Any ideas?

By Stephanie H

Best Answer

I agree that you should get a new vet for a second opinion. This has been going on for a long time now and vomiting bile is not normal. Apparently your dog is having flare-ups of something- but what? Kidney problems? Liver problems? Gall bladder? Someone should be able to tell you.

My 1 year old Japanese Spitz puppy is not eating anything. He likes to eat human food like chapathi (flat bread) and Pedigree, but for the last month he is not eating anything. He just eats 2 dog biscuits per meal. He became very thin.

Load More