Dog Won't Eat

When your pet stops eating, determining the cause is the first step in resolving the issue. This is a guide about dog won't eat.

April 6, 2009 Flag

My dog hasn't eaten for 10 days today. She is a Dachshund and is 4 years old. We have taken her to two vets and they have done all the tests possible, xrays, you name it. Right now she is dying so if someone can please give us some advice. We have tried all dog and human foods even junk food such as Mcdonald's and KFC. Please help.

By Donovan from Middelburg, South Africa

Best Answer

Try putting a lot of fish flavored cat food on your fingers and sticking it to the roof of her mouth. Do this every few hours. My son had a dog with Parvo and it got well after I did this.

Best Answer

December 14, 2015 Flag

Our white Shih Tzu isn't eating. She's drinking a little, but we can't figure out why she's not eating and getting weaker. She's also grunting and coughing. Anyone know why she might be doing this?

Best Answer

She may have a blockage in her intestines she can't pass.

Best Answer

March 6, 2011 Flag

What can I feed my small dog he only weights 12 pounds? I have tried everything on the market and he will only eat a few bites. All he wants is people food and that's not good for him. I have even made homemade gravy to pour over his food. Should I try canned cat food or dry? That I haven't done yet. I'm going crazy over this dog I call Beanie. Please can you help?

Thanks.

By Gloria from Cedar City

Best Answer

Sometimes, warming up the food helps. What food are you feeding? I am no expert. I do not know if puppy is eating kibble or not, but if she is, you can add warm water to kibble. It should bring up aroma and she may want to eat it more.

Or is it possible that you are putting the food out all day long? If so, you can feed it only when it is meal time.

Best Answer

November 13, 2016 Flag

I gave my dog, an Alsatian puppy raw fish two days ago. Then the following day it wouldn't play with anyone or eat. It only drinks a little. Could it be the fish? Someone help me, I am dying of a guilty conscience already.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It could be your dog has a bone in his throat. That would allow him to drink water but not eat food. You really need to get him to a Vet before he becomes dehydrated. The bone needs to come out.

June 15, 2015 Flag

Today I rescued a small Yorkie; he was in the middle of a very busy road. He acts very skittish as if he's either been beaten or on his own for a long time. I've tried to feed him and give him water with no success! He's very bony and little and it worries me that there might be something else wrong. I always take a gamble bringing rescued animals into my house with other animals. I have two cats and another dog inside and I am terrified that this little Yorkie has something! When I picked him up he was panting very hard. He did drink a tiny bit of water out of my hand, but other than that he hasn't eaten or drunk anything since 1 o'clock this afternoon. Please help me figure this out.

Best Answer

He will begin to eat when he is gets real hungry and thirsty. If you can't find the owner and you plan on keeping him, take the dog to a vet.

Best Answer

December 7, 2012 Flag

My 17 yr old dog has totally quit eating her food. I tried to ignore it as usually a dog will go back to eating once hungry enough. She lost 10 plus pounds and I have given her cat food and baby food and she gobbles up both. She will not eat chicken broth either I tried that. At 17 and being so skinny is cat food really that bad for her? I have been mixing rice in with the food to keep her from getting the runs.

By Courtney

Best Answer

I bet that your dog has a tooth problem. If he/she is only eating food that is soft and mushy (baby food/rice etd) and refusing food that would need chewing (the chicken) I bet she/he has a toothache and it hurts to chew and break up food with its teeth. Get your dog to the vet as he will spot a bad tooth straight away. My 16 year old cat was the same. The tooth came out and he's tucking into his food again.

Best Answer

January 12, 2014 Flag

We have a one year old German Shepherd and she will either eat a lot of dry dog food then throw up or goes days eating very little. My vet said to feed her small portions and there has been no change. She throws up at least 1 a week. I have tried making food for her such as chicken, steak, etc.

Missy's ribs are also showing, but the research I have done says that this is normal for German Shepherd until they get older. I will take any suggestions and may need to try to find another vet.

Thanks

By tsnowman from Lynchburg, VA

Best Answer

Has your dog been checked for heartworms lately? Also, if it was me and my vet didn't help me I would get a new vet. I had to do that when one of my dogs had skin allergies so bad he was losing weight and hair. Now, I have a wonderful vet .She even does house calls.

Best Answer

January 4, 2007 Flag

My Chihuahua who I have had for almost 3 years recently stopped eating. I have her on the B.A.R.F. diet (for those of you who don't know it's Bones And Real Food, basically home cooking for your dog) - She has been on this diet her entire life and the only change has been a new addition to our family; a little Chihuahua boy. She started wanting to eat his food (kibble) and I worried since it wasn't something she was used to. Out of desperation to get her to eat, I let her have some. Now I'm stuck with her not wanting kibble or her normal diet. I worry because with her being such a small dog, her blood sugar can get very low very quickly. - I know she doesn't have some sort of blockage, cause she definitely can eat her treats (which I have also stopped giving in hopes of her wanting to eat her food) - I've owned dogs all my life and am still confused on what is wrong with her. Can anyone help?

Lish from Scottsdale, AZ

Best Answer

Ask your vet for help.

Best Answer

August 17, 2015 Flag

My Black Lab won't eat her food anymore. All she wants is her treats and she is starting to lose weight. What should I do?

Best Answer

Have her checked out by your vet. There is most likely something going on that needs a Vets' attention. Don't wait.

April 30, 2009 Flag

My 7 year old Schnauzer has started going under the bed and will not come out, even for food. Does anyone have any ideas? I dragged him out, gave him a kiss and a hug, and he went right back under the bed. Could it be the heat or hormones or what?

By Jrtjingles from Pensacola, FL

Best Answer

I'm gonna say pain, bring the dog to the vet as soon as you can. When my mini Schnauzer had a very painful surgery a few years ago, she did this not long after I had gotten her home. I called my vet and he said that that is the way they behave when they are in pain (he had given her pain meds before she left the office but it must have worn off). I ushered her back to the vet and he gave her another shot of meds. After this, I kept her on a strict pain med schedule for the first few days so the pain would not return and she never hid again.

If this is not normal for your dog, don't assume it's hearing loss, or needing alone time or anything else. Go to a vet.

Best Answer

July 29, 2015 Flag

After a rough start finding the right food for her, our Chiweenie was eating well and had achieved a healthy weight. Recently she started picking at her food and will only finish if I sit nearby.

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 22, 2013
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
small dog
Dog Diapers Won't Stay On
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon
🎄