Kenmore Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Working

Category Kitchen
It may be time for a repairman when your refridgerator's ice maker stops working. This guide is about Kenmore ice maker not working.

Ice Maker

If the ice from your Kenmore ice maker is not clean, you may need to install additional filtration prior to the water getting to the ice maker. This is a guide about ice from Kenmore elite ice maker contains white particles.

My Kenmore refrigerator, model #3639552780, does not get water to the ice maker. The water dispenser works on the door. The water line to the ice maker is clear and open to the valve. Can the valve be bad or what else could it be?

By RW Long from Lebanon, OH

Best Answer

My understanding is that if the tube is free and clear and not frozen, the culprit is probably a faulty valve.

The ice machine is making ice. The rakes go around, they lift out the cubes, the tray fills up with water for the next batch. When this is happening the bail wire lifts slightly to get out of the way from the falling cubes. The problem is the bail wire stays up. So without manually dropping the bail wire the next cycle won't begin. I guess you could say it's a semi automatic ice machine.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

We recently moved into a new home and the ice maker is not making ice. Water is flowing through the door water dispenser just fine. We have checked the water line and it is fine. The refrigerator has sat with no power for months and months; could this have anything to do with it?

By Julie

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Am having the same problem with my ice maker.

The ice maker in in my Kenmore refrigerator did work. I put it back together. It goes though its cycles, but the feeler arm does not drop back down.

My Kenmore side by side makes ice fine, but it always freezes solid in the holding bin. I defrost and clean it out once it gets full, but the cycle starts over. This has been going on for at least a year or longer. Also, we can get water from the door dispenser, but not ice. Any suggestions on what may be the problem and how we can fix it?

By ml

Sounds like the dispenser door flap is not closing all the way and the airflow that goes up into your bin changes the ice to a block.

Our Kenmore side by side with factory installed ice maker is not making ice at all. Prior to this for some reason every once in a while we would have water spilled forming icicles, otherwise we would have ice. Now nothing happens, no ice or spilled water to form the icicles. Suggestions?

By J. Peterson

You can contact the manufacturer for possible help or request a service company recommendation.

I removed the ice bin assembly from my Kenmore Elite 106 side by side to clean out the ice dispenser and cannot reinsert the assembly into the door. It will not go down far enough to lock into place. I have tried wiggling shaking, hitting gently - no luck.

By Ron K.

This happened to us, too. Can't get it back in. Any answers/help? Thanks.

Where you push against the bar to activate the ice maker, it started being hard to push and almost clicks when I push against it. It's a Kenmore Elite side by side. The happens whether you get ice or water.

By Tina A

Likely the switch mount is broken. Watch this video to fix it. http://youtu.be/p9GjSqi6eY4

I have a through the door ice maker with a switch for crushed ice or whole cubes. No matter which setting is selected the ice comes out crushed. What do I need to look for or do to fix?

By John

I have an Electrolux stainless steel fridge. The water and the ice maker have stopped working. I don't hear the water going into the fridge. The water from the main line does work. This is the second time, before I had a technician come in and he repaired it. I am not quite sure what he changed. Can some one help with what the possible culprit is?

By Wayne

I just had this problem. Turned out the larger black rubber tube which feeds the tray had frozen solid. I took out the ice maker and used a hair dryer to melt the ice and squeezed the black tube to help breakup the ice. Put the ice maker back in and turned up the Freezer temperature one notch and it began to work as normal.

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 795.7107 refrigerator. My one month old ice maker will not dispense the ice into the ice container. We can tell the ice is frozen. The tray starts to turn, but will not empty. It returns to the position it was in. What could be stopping it from emptying?

By Jane from WI

Try taking the tray out, they do come out and soak it in vinegar for a bit. Usually hard water causes the ice to stick. Then you may want to spray Pam in it. Then throw out the first batch of cubes it drops...they will be oily!

My ice maker is no longer making ice. The water doesn't feed into the icemaker, but I get water from the dispenser. We have cleaned out the ice bin and used the hair dryer to defrost everything. Any suggestions? The refrigerator is about 5 years old.

By Wanda

Anonymous

Any luck with that issue? I assume it needs a new Solenoid valve - just wondering what you did to solve it since I have same problem - plus the ice maker isn't rotating- not sure what controls water level in the tray to keep it from continually filling.

My ice maker tray is never in correct position to receive the input of water. How do I reset the ice maker timer so that it will be in correct position to receive the water for ice making? As it is, the water empties into the storage tray under the ice maker. My fridge is an older Kenmore, model 1067689313 (2 door, freezer on top).

My Kenmore ice maker has stopped working although the water is still dispensing from the front. Please help with any and all troubleshooting ideas?

By Rose from Tampa, FL

I had a problem, too. Turned out that the heater that allows the ice to be released was bad and I had to replace the unit.

My ice maker just stopped doing anything. I pulled it out and opened it up. There is no damage or burnt/broken components. Nothing appears damaged at all. The water tube seems clear. I filled the little bowl with water and it froze, but did not dispense. The light on the inside wall of the freezer gives no error messages. It is as if a fuse is blown, but I did not think these things had fuses. Is there a circuit board that might need to be replaced?

I have a side by side ice and water dispenser on the outside of my freezer door. The water dispenser works, but there is no water going to my ice maker.

By Delois

Need to take out the ice bucket and check out the water connections. Also, pull out the appliance and check the water hose going to the fridge, it could be caught or crimped. Good Luck.

Ice freezes in the bin of my Kenmore two door refrigerator and when I push the dispenser it turns round and round, but because ice freezes in bottom of bin, no ice comes out.

I take it out and clean the frozen ice out, and it works for a few times, but it soon refreezes again.

By Carol S. from Aurora, CO

Ice bin was full so I emptied it and now the ice maker isn't making any ice. Suggestions?

By Chris

When you put it back in, did you lower the wire bar that lets ice maker know bin is full?

Also, did you check to make sure the bin clicked into the correct position?

I have a 2008 Kenmore Coldspot refrigerator, model #106.58912801. The ice bin freezes up about every two days. The door chute assembly was replaced by a Sears tech approx. 2years ago. I have cleaned it out numerous times and inspected flapper assembly with a flashlight. (no light shows through) Also I have noticed that the middle pillar section between where the doors close around ice bin area appears very warm to the touch to me all the time. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Bob

The middle pillar is where the auto-defrost wires are located inside.

I installed a new ice maker and a new water valve and either one will work.

By Lavonne

My whirlpool fridge will not eject the ice from the tray. I have replaced with a new board, and it freezes ice but will not cut and eject.

I have a 1997 Kenmore side by side refrigerator. I have water, but the ice maker is not working. I can hear it trying to work, but there is no ice.

By Gerri E

I'm not sure if you mean there is no ice in the bin or no ice drops down into your cup.

If there is no ice in the bin, look for the metal "L" shaped wire sticking out of the icemaker. Make sure it is pushed down. That tells the icemaker the bin is not full. When it is full the wire gets pushed up a little by the pile of ice and tells the maker to stop making ice. Also, if you want to make sure it won't make any ice, you can push it up all the way to tell the machine to stop. It's probable yours accidentally got pushed up, telling the machine not to make ice.

If there is ice in the bin but it won't drop down, check the chute to make sure it is clear. Also make sure the lever in the front on the door is exactly in the "ice" position, not on "water" or "crushed ice." If it's even a little off, you won't get ice (or water for that matter, if it's off the water one even a little).

I hope one of these ideas solves your problem.

My Kenmore model#5967523 all of a sudden doesn't work. There are no ice cubes being made.

By Ron S.

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model number 106.76232402. Will it work without the ice maker?

By Arthur

The ice maker in a Kitchenaid refrigerator is not calling for water to the ice maker.

By Dave

Can only say that I had the same problem and the diagnosis was the very small spigot connecting to supply was at fault. It is under the sink. Spigot is not the right word. Best described as a small faucet or valve? I was told it was a common problem.

Load More