Browsing: Potato Soup Recipes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Potato Soup Recipes

The versatile potato is the basis for a hearty soup that is easy to make and can be varied by adding additional ingredients. This page contains potato soup recipes.

Potato Soup Recipes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 10, 2015 Flag

I have made quite a few potato soups in my life and I have to say that this one absolutely turned out the best. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)

Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

Total Time: Under an hour

Yield: About 6 main dish servings

Source: Modified from a recipe in a childrens cookbook

• 6 Tbsp butter
  • 12 cloves garlic, diced
  • 2 1/2 large onions, chopped
  • 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
  • 3 pounds, plus 1 potato, peeled and cut in quarters
  • water to cover potatoes
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3-4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp basil
  • Cheese and green onions for garnish
Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

Related Products:

1. Peel and cut your potatoes, rinse well. Add to a pot with just enough water to cover your potatoes. Turn heat to high and boil for 10-15 minutes, or until fork tender. Turn heat off, do not drain water.
  2. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  3. Meantime, chop your garlic, onions and parsley. Melt your butter in a pan and saute your veggies until soft, about 8 minutes.
  4. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  5. Add your veggies, cream and seasonings to your potatoes. Mash everything with a held held tool until large lumps are gone.
  6. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  7. Turn heat on and cook until heated through again. Remove from heat.
  8. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  9. Add garnishes and enjoy!
  10. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

October 8, 2011 Flag
Bowl of the soup, some on spoon, and sausage on the side.This is a bit of a change for potato soup, a little heartier and spicier than the usual, with a touch of heat. I don't slice the sausage up, I just cook it in the soup to heat the sausage up, and give the soup a little more flavor. I did it this way to please the household, but slicing the sausage up to add to the soup would be really good.

• 4 stalks celery, sliced
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 or more small, mildly hot red peppers, sliced
  • cumin to taste (start with 1 tsp, I add 1 Tbsp.)
  • marjoram to taste (start with 1 tsp, I add 2 tsp.)
  • ham bouillon to taste (I add 1 tbl)
  • 2 quarts potatoes peeled, chopped to be bite-size
  • water to nearly cover the potatoes
  • one package of sausage, your choice (heat and serve)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup thick, plain, unsweetened yogurt, or sour cream

Directions:

Saute the celery in bacon fat or olive oil for 5 minutes (I use bacon fat for flavor), then add the onions. Cook until nearly done, since the potatoes won't take long to cook. Add the cumin and hot pepper a minute or two before you add anything else - cumin benefits from a brief saute in oil. Then add in the potatoes and stir it all together to combine. Add water within about an inch short of covering the potatoes. Add the bouillon and the marjoram.

10 minutes before potatoes are done, add the sausage and simmer briskly. When the potatoes are tender, remove the sausage and keep warm. Mash some of the potatoes right in the pot, if you want the soup a bit thicker. Then mix the yogurt and milk and stir it in slowly, stirring the whole while. Bring the soup back to a simmer, and remove from heat. Serve.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

March 22, 2008 Flag

I am looking for a Potato Soup Recipe.

Helen R. from Tunnelton, WV

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Baked Potato Soup

4 large potatoes, scrubbed Bake potatoes until fork tender Cut potatoes in half and scoop out (flake potatoes)--Chop 1/2 of the peels in small pieces (discard other half of peels)

In heavy kettle

Melt 2/3 cup butter

Add 2/3 cup flour (whisk together)

Add 1 and 1/2 quarts milk Stir constantly till thickened

alt and pepper to taste

Add potato and skins

Add 4 green onions -chopped (I use about 1/4 cup instant minced onion)

1 cup sour cream

1 and 1/2 cup crisp-cooked, crumbled bacon

5 oz. finely grated cheddar cheese (heat through) do not let it boil

Mix all over low heat until cheese melts

(When I do this at home, I sprinkle the bacon and the cheese on top of the hot soup--for group it will work better to have it all in the soup like the recipe says to do, I just like the bacon to stay really crisp.)

Look up Kraft Foods online, they have a wonderful Baked Potato soup.

February 16, 2015 Flag

Everyone loves this on a cold winter day. We eat it like it is, but it also tastes good with cheddar cheese or bacon sprinkled on top!

Eva's Potato Soup

June 13, 2016 Flag

This page contains cheesy potato soup recipes. This creamy soup is easy to make, extremely delicious, and certain to become one of your favorite comfort foods.

Bowl of cheesy potato soup with shredded cheese on top in green bowl on a green plaid napkin

October 13, 2011 Flag

It finally turned a little cool here in south Texas with the much needed rain that came and stayed all weekend.

October 23, 2007 Flag

I use instant potato flakes to thicken my potato soup. What else would you use!

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

October 12, 2006 Flag

Brown one medium onion in bacon fat. Add to one large can of tomato juice and one regular size can of cut/chopped tomatoes. Add bite sized pieces of potatoes.

January 19, 2011 Flag

Cook potatoes and onion in salt water until tender. Add milk and butter. Heat (don't boil). Just before serving add 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs.

November 1, 2012 Flag

This soup was a bit hit with the family and was a great way to use up older veggies. The carrots and squash have it a lovely golden color and a rich flavor.

December 29, 2011 Flag

When making potato soup, add 1 can of cream of chicken soup and one can of cream of onion soup. Thicken the soup with instant mashed potato flakes. Add a little of the flakes at a time until you get the consistency you like. I also like to add about 1/4 cup of chicken soup base. You won't believe how good this is.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

November 6, 2008 Flag

Recipes for Baked Potato Soup

September 30, 2008 Flag

Put first 5 ingredients into large saucepan. Saute vegetables until onion is soft and clear. Add potato, ham, chicken stock, salt, pepper and parsley.

December 27, 2010 Flag

Saute celery and onions in margarine in a large pot until tender, but not brown. Add potatoes, carrots, water, bouillon or granules, salt, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and pepper.

Load More
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups PotatoSeptember 11, 2012
Irish Potato Soup
Irish Potato Soup Recipes
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 24, 2016 at 6:18:30 PM on 10.0.0.79 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.