Potato Soup Recipes

The versatile potato is the basis for a hearty soup that is easy to make and can be varied by adding additional ingredients. This page contains potato soup recipes.

November 10, 2015 Flag

I have made quite a few potato soups in my life and I have to say that this one absolutely turned out the best. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)

Total Time: Under an hour

Yield: About 6 main dish servings

Source: Modified from a recipe in a childrens cookbook

• 6 Tbsp butter
  • 12 cloves garlic, diced
  • 2 1/2 large onions, chopped
  • 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
  • 3 pounds, plus 1 potato, peeled and cut in quarters
  • water to cover potatoes
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3-4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp basil
  • Cheese and green onions for garnish

1. Peel and cut your potatoes, rinse well. Add to a pot with just enough water to cover your potatoes. Turn heat to high and boil for 10-15 minutes, or until fork tender. Turn heat off, do not drain water.
  2. Ad
  3. Meantime, chop your garlic, onions and parsley. Melt your butter in a pan and saute your veggies until soft, about 8 minutes.
  4. Add your veggies, cream and seasonings to your potatoes. Mash everything with a held held tool until large lumps are gone.
  5. Turn heat on and cook until heated through again. Remove from heat.
  6. Add garnishes and enjoy!

I love all the details.

November 2, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making potato soup with milk. Milk can help make a rich, creamy potato soup.

Creamy Potato Soup

November 1, 2016 Flag

This page contains baked potato soup recipes. Already cooked potatoes can make a delicious creamy soup.

Baked Potato Soup

October 29, 2016 Flag

This page contains potato and sausage soup recipe. A hearty dinner can be made adding sausage and some hot spices to a potato soup.

Bowl of the soup, some on spoon, and sausage on the side.

October 28, 2016 Flag

This page contains easy potato soup recipes. Homemade potato soup is probably one of the easiest and fastest soups to prepare.

Bowl of potato soups surrounded by potatoes

October 28, 2016 Flag

This page contains chunky potato soup recipes. A tasty option to the traditional smooth cream of potato soup is to leave some of the potatoes chunky.

Bowl of chunky potato soup

March 22, 2008 Flag

I am looking for a Potato Soup Recipe.

Helen R. from Tunnelton, WV

Best Answer

Peel, chop and cook about 8 potatoes until very soft, meanwhile chop and saute in butter one large onion, 2 stalks of celery, stir into potatoes, add 16 oz sour cream, salt and pepper to taste. If there is any leftovers I have also added small can of chopped clams for clam chowder.

Best Answer

February 16, 2015 Flag

Everyone loves this on a cold winter day. We eat it like it is, but it also tastes good with cheddar cheese or bacon sprinkled on top!

Eva's Potato Soup

June 13, 2016 Flag

This page contains cheesy potato soup recipes. This creamy soup is easy to make, extremely delicious, and certain to become one of your favorite comfort foods.

Bowl of cheesy potato soup with shredded cheese on top in green bowl on a green plaid napkin

September 30, 2008 Flag

Put first 5 ingredients into large saucepan. Saute vegetables until onion is soft and clear. Add potato, ham, chicken stock, salt, pepper and parsley.

January 19, 2011 Flag

Cook potatoes and onion in salt water until tender. Add milk and butter. Heat (don't boil). Just before serving add 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs.

November 3, 2010 Flag

Combine potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, margarine, bouillon cubes, and water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes.

September 10, 2012 Flag

The evenings here in Iowa are getting cool so I know fall is not far away. This is a great cold-weather soup!

August 27, 2012 Flag

This is a favorite of my husband in the winter time, which here in Iowa will be on us before we know it!

November 9, 2006 Flag

Cook veggies until soft. Add soups and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Simmer a little. Remove from heat.

March 22, 2008 Flag

I would like a good recipe for potato soup. There is a truck stop in Lincoln, Neb. that has the BEST potato soup, I wish I could get their recipe.

Theresa from Hibbing, MN

Answers:

Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

I have made the following recipe I found at allrecipes.com, several times and we love it.

Delicious Ham and Potato Soup

Prep Time: 20 Minutes,
Cook Time: 25 Minutes Ready In: 45 Minutes,
Yields: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS:
3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes,
1/3 cup diced celery,
1/3 cup finely chopped onion,
3/4 cup diced cooked ham,
3 1/4 cups water,
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules,
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste,
1 teaspoon ground white or
black pepper, or to taste,
5 tablespoons butter,
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour,
2 cups milk

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.

3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

Note: I probably use more closer to 4 cups of potatoes and I cook it longer.
(11/14/2007)

By Debbie52

Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

I just recently got this recipe and have not had a chance to try it yet, but the girls at work have made it and love it.

Baked Potato Soup

4 large baking potatoes,
6 cup milk,
4 green onions (sliced),
1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded),
2/3 cup margarine,
3/4 tsp. salt,
10 pcs. bacon (fried, then crumbled),
4 oz. sour cream,
2/3 cup flour,
1/2 tsp. pepper

Bake potatoes. When cooled cut in half and use for or hands to crumble insides out of skins. Melt margarine in soup kettle and add flour. Cook, stirring constantly until smooth. gradually add milk and cook until thick and bubbly. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, half the onions, half the bacon, and 1 cup cheese. Cook until heated through, then stir in sour cream. Garnish with remaining onion, bacon & cheese.
(11/14/2007)

Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

Ultimate Potato Soup

I don't remember where I got this recipe, but everyone I serve it to says its the "best ever" (even those who didn't think they liked potato soup!).

1 lb bacon,
2 stalks celery, diced,
1 onion, chopped,
3 cloves garlic, minced,
8 large potatoes, peeled and cubed,
4 cups chicken stock or bouillon (enough to cover potatoes),
3 Tbsp. butter,
1/4 cup flour,
1 cup heavy cream (or half & half or whole milk),
1 tsp. dried tarragon,
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro,
salt and pepper to taste

In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over med heat until done. Remove bacon and set aside, drain off all but 1/4 c of the bacon grease.

In the 1/4 cup of grease, sauté the celery and onion until onion turns clear. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add cubed potatoes and toss to coat, sauté for 4 minutes, Return the bacon to the pan and add enough chicken stock to just cover potatoes. Cover, simmer until potatoes are tender but not mushy.

In a separate pan, melt butter over med heat. Whisk in the flour, cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon and cilantro. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Puree about 1//2 the soup, and return to the pan and mix well. Adjust seasonings to taste.

I hope your family enjoys this as much as ours!

Tamak
(11/14/2007)

By tamak

This is THE BEST soup I've ever had...

And absolutely nothing healthy about it and you probably can feel your arteries clogging just when you read the recipe, but we all must indulge every once in a while, right?

1 stick butter,
1 med onion - minced,
1 cup grated carrot,
1/2 cup of chopped celery

Saute these together until tender. I usually just chop the onions and carrots.

Add: 4 cans cream of potato soup,
1 lb grated Velveeta cheese (if I buy the block I just slice it up),
8 oz sour cream,
4 cups milk,
salt and pepper to taste.

I usually put this in a big crock pot and just slow cook it all day.

P.S. There are a lot of ways to make this healthier; reduced fat soups, sour cream, don't use as much butter/margarine, fat free milk, etc. I just wrote the recipe as I have it.

And sometimes, I throw in some broccoli and/or cauliflower if I have it, or some ham and bacon, whatever you feel like pretty much will work in here!
(11/14/2007)

By tms421

Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

Here is one of my favorites. Enjoy!

6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 leeks, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 rib celery, sliced
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
5 cups water
1 Tbsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1/3 cup butter
13 oz. can evaporated milk
Chopped chives

1. Combine all ingredients except milk and chives in slow cooker.

2. Cover. Cook on low 10-12 hours, or high 3-4 hours. Stir in milk during last hour.

3. If desired, mash potatoes before serving.

4. Garnish with chives.

Variations:

Add one carrot, sliced, to vegetables before cooking.

Instead of water and bouillon cubes, use 4-5 cups chicken stock.
(11/14/2007)

By Jayme

Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

This is for instant potato soup mix but it is really good. 2 1/2 cups instant potatoes, 1 1/4 cups powered coffee creamer, 1 package chicken gravy mix, 2 teaspoons dry onion powder, 2 teaspoons chicken granules. Put in a air tight container that will hold 4 cups and shake to mix. To serve use 1 cup boiling water and 1/2 cup mix, stir well and let set 3 minutes. Other spices can be added for your taste. (11/17/2007)

By Phyllis

January 19, 2011 Flag

In 3 qt. saucepan, combine first 9 ingredients. Cover and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes.

Load More
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups PotatoSeptember 11, 2012
Irish Potato Soup
Irish Potato Soup Recipes
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
🎉
🎄