Potato Soup Recipes

The versatile potato is the basis for a hearty soup that is easy to make and can be varied by adding additional ingredients. This page contains potato soup recipes.

Potato Soup Recipes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have made quite a few potato soups in my life and I have to say that this one absolutely turned out the best. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)

Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

Approximate Time: Under an hour

Yield: About 6 main dish servings

• 6 Tbsp butter
  • 12 cloves garlic, diced
  • 2 1/2 large onions, chopped
  • 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
  • 3 pounds, plus 1 potato, peeled and cut in quarters
  • water to cover potatoes
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3-4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp basil
  • Cheese and green onions for garnish
Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

1. Peel and cut your potatoes, rinse well. Add to a pot with just enough water to cover your potatoes. Turn heat to high and boil for 10-15 minutes, or until fork tender. Turn heat off, do not drain water.
  2. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  3. Meantime, chop your garlic, onions and parsley. Melt your butter in a pan and saute your veggies until soft, about 8 minutes.
  4. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  5. Add your veggies, cream and seasonings to your potatoes. Mash everything with a held held tool until large lumps are gone.
  6. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  7. Turn heat on and cook until heated through again. Remove from heat.
  8. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  9. Add garnishes and enjoy!
  10. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

Source: Modified from a recipe in a childrens cookbook

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for a Potato Soup Recipe.

Helen R. from Tunnelton, WV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

This is my all time favorite!

4 large Baking Potatoes

1 tsp. salt

2/3 cup margarine

1/4 tsp. pepper

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

6 cups milk

1 cup Sour Cream

1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion

10 bacon strips, cooked & crumbled

4 oz. Shredded Colby or Cheddar Cheese

Bake potatoes at 350 degrees for 65-75 minutes or in microwave Until tender; cool completely. Peel & cube potatoes.

In a large saucepan melt margarine; stir in flour, salt & pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook & stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes. Garnish with green onin, bacon & cheese.

Best Answer

Here's one that came from my Mother!

Take 8 potatoes wash peel and dice.

Add one large onion diced. Cover with water and cook until done.

Mash potatoes up a little with potato masher, leave a few lumps. Add 2 cups milk and 2 cups heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Best Answer

Peel, chop and cook about 8 potatoes until very soft, meanwhile chop and saute in butter one large onion, 2 stalks of celery, stir into potatoes, add 16 oz sour cream, salt and pepper to taste. If there is any leftovers I have also added small can of chopped clams for clam chowder.

Best Answer

Baked Potato Soup

4 large potatoes, scrubbed Bake potatoes until fork tender Cut potatoes in half and scoop out (flake potatoes)--Chop 1/2 of the peels in small pieces (discard other half of peels)

In heavy kettle

Melt 2/3 cup butter

Add 2/3 cup flour (whisk together)

Add 1 and 1/2 quarts milk Stir constantly till thickened

alt and pepper to taste

Add potato and skins

Add 4 green onions -chopped (I use about 1/4 cup instant minced onion)

1 cup sour cream

1 and 1/2 cup crisp-cooked, crumbled bacon

5 oz. finely grated cheddar cheese (heat through) do not let it boil

Mix all over low heat until cheese melts

(When I do this at home, I sprinkle the bacon and the cheese on top of the hot soup--for group it will work better to have it all in the soup like the recipe says to do, I just like the bacon to stay really crisp.)

Read More Answers...

This is a very hearty and healthy soup that is made almost completely of vegetables. It feels like a rich creamy winter soup, but only has about 250 calories a serving and tastes great!

German Potato Soup

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Yield: 8 (1 1/2) cup servings

• 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 10 Slices slices turkey bacon (about 2/3 package)
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2-4 leeks
  • 4 medium carrots
  • 1 head cabbage
  • 8 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
  • 6 potatoes
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tsp caraway seeds
  • 1/2 tsp salt (or more)
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 8 Tbsp nonfat plain yogurt, for serving
German Potato Soup

1. Cube potatoes. Chop bacon, onion, leeks*, and carrots. Shred cabbage. I used a food processor to make quick work of this.
  2. German Potato Soup
  3. Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high-heat. Saute' turkey bacon, onion, leeks, carrots and cabbage. Cook stirring frequently for 7-10 minutes or until vegetables soften.
  4. German Potato Soup
  5. Add broth, potatoes, bay leaves, caraway seeds, pepper, salt, and nutmeg to vegetables.
  6. German Potato Soup
  7. Bring to a boil stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally for for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
  8. German Potato Soup
  9. Place 4 cups of soup in the food processor or blender, cover and blend until smooth. An immersion blender would have been great for this step if I'd had one :)

I did go through with a slotted spoon to catch any large potato chunks and blend those, since I'd cubed them pretty roughly, but they would have boiled down on their own eventually.
  10. German Potato Soup
  11. Return blended soup to saucepan and mix well. Serve immediately, or keep on lowest heat until ready to serve.
  12. German Potato Soup
  13. Serve each portion topped with 1 Tbsp. yogurt. My husband picked up French bread on the way home because it's the kids' favorite. I think it would be even better with a nice rustic loaf.

Tip: Soak the leeks after chopping to easily remove the embedded dirt.

Source: This is a BeachBody recipe that I have modified quite a bit

This is a bit of a change for potato soup, a little heartier and spicier than the usual, with a touch of heat. I don't slice the sausage up, I just cook it in the soup to heat the sausage up, and, give the soup a little more flavor.

Bowl of the soup, some on spoon, and sausage on the side.

Everyone loves this on a cold winter day. We eat it like it is, but it also tastes good with cheddar cheese or bacon sprinkled on top!

Eva's Potato Soup

It finally turned a little cool here in south Texas with the much needed rain that came and stayed all weekend.

I use instant potato flakes to thicken my potato soup. What else would you use!

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

I need a recipe for German Potato Soup.

Wyla from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

German Potato Soup

1 pound cooked smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices

1/2 of a 28-ounce package frozen loose-pack diced hash brown potatoes with onion and peppers (about 4 cups)

1 16-ounce jar sauerkraut, rinsed and drained

2 tablespoons stone ground mustard

3 14-ounce cans chicken broth (5-1/4 cups)

In a 4- to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker place sausage, frozen potatoes, sauerkraut, and mustard. Pour broth over all.

Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.

Makes 6 to 8 main-dish servings (about 9-2/3 cups).

Read More Answers...

I am looking for a recipe for frozen mashed potato soup.

By Julie from Windsor, ON

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

PS: I think you'll want to allow the potatoes to thaw in the refrigerator first.

Read More Answers...

Brown one medium onion in bacon fat. Add to one large can of tomato juice and one regular size can of cut/chopped tomatoes. Add bite sized pieces of potatoes.

This soup was a bit hit with the family and was a great way to use up older veggies. The carrots and squash have it a lovely golden color and a rich flavor.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cook potatoes and onion in salt water until tender. Add milk and butter. Heat (don't boil). Just before serving add 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs.

• 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 inch square sliced Velveeta cheese

Directions:

Cook potatoes until tender. Do not drain all of potato water off. Save enough for 1 can of water in soup can. Add soup; add Velveeta cheese to taste. Heat until cheese is melted.

By Robin from Washington, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When making potato soup, add 1 can of cream of chicken soup and one can of cream of onion soup. Thicken the soup with instant mashed potato flakes. Add a little of the flakes at a time until you get the consistency you like. I also like to add about 1/4 cup of chicken soup base. You won't believe how good this is.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Recipes for Baked Potato Soup

Put first 5 ingredients into large saucepan. Saute vegetables until onion is soft and clear. Add potato, ham, chicken stock, salt, pepper and parsley.

Saute celery and onions in margarine in a large pot until tender, but not brown. Add potatoes, carrots, water, bouillon or granules, salt, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and pepper.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Combine potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, margarine, bouillon cubes, and water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I love the cheese and ham in this recipe!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The evenings here in Iowa are getting cool so I know fall is not far away. This is a great cold-weather soup!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a favorite of my husband in the winter time, which here in Iowa will be on us before we know it!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Recipe for Virginia Potato Soup. Cook veggies until soft. Add soups and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Simmer a little. Remove from heat.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes. Bring water to a boil in large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid; set aside potatoes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In pot cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp, 6-8 minutes; drain on paper towels.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know of a tried and true potato soup recipe that is delicious?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

• 3 cups cubed potatoes
  • 1 can chicken broth (10oz.)
  • 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. parsley
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. dill seed
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 3 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup flour

Directions:

In 3 qt. saucepan, combine first 9 ingredients. Cover and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Add 3 1/2 cups milk and butter; heat through. Blend 1/2 cup milk into flour, stir into soup. Cook and stir until slightly thickened.

By Robin from Washington, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In a large kettle, cook potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups PotatoSeptember 11, 2012
Irish Potato Soup
Irish Potato Soup Recipes
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 28, 2016 at 2:06:13 AM on 10.0.1.190 in 449 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.