Potato Soup Recipes

The versatile potato is the basis for a hearty soup that is easy to make and can be varied by adding additional ingredients. This page contains potato soup recipes.

Potato Soup Recipes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 10, 2015 Flag

I have made quite a few potato soups in my life and I have to say that this one absolutely turned out the best. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)

Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

Approximate Time: Under an hour

Yield: About 6 main dish servings

• 6 Tbsp butter
  • 12 cloves garlic, diced
  • 2 1/2 large onions, chopped
  • 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
  • 3 pounds, plus 1 potato, peeled and cut in quarters
  • water to cover potatoes
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3-4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp basil
  • Cheese and green onions for garnish
Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

1. Peel and cut your potatoes, rinse well. Add to a pot with just enough water to cover your potatoes. Turn heat to high and boil for 10-15 minutes, or until fork tender. Turn heat off, do not drain water.
  2. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  3. Meantime, chop your garlic, onions and parsley. Melt your butter in a pan and saute your veggies until soft, about 8 minutes.
  4. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  5. Add your veggies, cream and seasonings to your potatoes. Mash everything with a held held tool until large lumps are gone.
  6. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  7. Turn heat on and cook until heated through again. Remove from heat.
  8. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  9. Add garnishes and enjoy!
  10. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

Source: Modified from a recipe in a childrens cookbook

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 13, 2016 Flag

This page contains cheesy potato soup recipes. This creamy soup is easy to make, extremely delicious, and certain to become one of your favorite comfort foods.

Bowl of cheesy potato soup with shredded cheese on top in green bowl on a green plaid napkin

March 22, 2008 Flag

I am looking for a Potato Soup Recipe.

Helen R. from Tunnelton, WV

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Baked Potato Soup

4 large potatoes, scrubbed Bake potatoes until fork tender Cut potatoes in half and scoop out (flake potatoes)--Chop 1/2 of the peels in small pieces (discard other half of peels)

In heavy kettle

Melt 2/3 cup butter

Add 2/3 cup flour (whisk together)

Add 1 and 1/2 quarts milk Stir constantly till thickened

alt and pepper to taste

Add potato and skins

Add 4 green onions -chopped (I use about 1/4 cup instant minced onion)

1 cup sour cream

1 and 1/2 cup crisp-cooked, crumbled bacon

5 oz. finely grated cheddar cheese (heat through) do not let it boil

Mix all over low heat until cheese melts

(When I do this at home, I sprinkle the bacon and the cheese on top of the hot soup--for group it will work better to have it all in the soup like the recipe says to do, I just like the bacon to stay really crisp.)

Read More Answers...

October 8, 2011 Flag
Bowl of the soup, some on spoon, and sausage on the side.This is a bit of a change for potato soup, a little heartier and spicier than the usual, with a touch of heat. I don't slice the sausage up, I just cook it in the soup to heat the sausage up, and give the soup a little more flavor. I did it this way to please the household, but slicing the sausage up to add to the soup would be really good.

• 4 stalks celery, sliced
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 or more small, mildly hot red peppers, sliced
  • cumin to taste (start with 1 tsp, I add 1 Tbsp.)
  • marjoram to taste (start with 1 tsp, I add 2 tsp.)
  • ham bouillon to taste (I add 1 tbl)
  • 2 quarts potatoes peeled, chopped to be bite-size
  • water to nearly cover the potatoes
  • one package of sausage, your choice (heat and serve)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup thick, plain, unsweetened yogurt, or sour cream

Directions:

Saute the celery in bacon fat or olive oil for 5 minutes (I use bacon fat for flavor), then add the onions. Cook until nearly done, since the potatoes won't take long to cook. Add the cumin and hot pepper a minute or two before you add anything else - cumin benefits from a brief saute in oil. Then add in the potatoes and stir it all together to combine. Add water within about an inch short of covering the potatoes. Add the bouillon and the marjoram.

10 minutes before potatoes are done, add the sausage and simmer briskly. When the potatoes are tender, remove the sausage and keep warm. Mash some of the potatoes right in the pot, if you want the soup a bit thicker. Then mix the yogurt and milk and stir it in slowly, stirring the whole while. Bring the soup back to a simmer, and remove from heat. Serve.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

February 16, 2015 Flag

Everyone loves this on a cold winter day. We eat it like it is, but it also tastes good with cheddar cheese or bacon sprinkled on top!

Eva's Potato Soup

October 13, 2011 Flag

It finally turned a little cool here in south Texas with the much needed rain that came and stayed all weekend.

October 23, 2007 Flag

I use instant potato flakes to thicken my potato soup. What else would you use!

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

March 26, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a recipe for frozen mashed potato soup.

By Julie from Windsor, ON

PS: I think you'll want to allow the potatoes to thaw in the refrigerator first.

Read More Answers...

October 12, 2006 Flag

Brown one medium onion in bacon fat. Add to one large can of tomato juice and one regular size can of cut/chopped tomatoes. Add bite sized pieces of potatoes.

January 19, 2011 Flag

Cook potatoes and onion in salt water until tender. Add milk and butter. Heat (don't boil). Just before serving add 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs.

November 1, 2012 Flag

This soup was a bit hit with the family and was a great way to use up older veggies. The carrots and squash have it a lovely golden color and a rich flavor.

September 21, 2010 Flag

Cook potatoes until tender. Do not drain all of potato water off. Save enough for 1 can of water in soup can. Add soup; add Velveeta cheese to taste.

December 29, 2011 Flag

When making potato soup, add 1 can of cream of chicken soup and one can of cream of onion soup. Thicken the soup with instant mashed potato flakes. Add a little of the flakes at a time until you get the consistency you like. I also like to add about 1/4 cup of chicken soup base. You won't believe how good this is.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

November 6, 2008 Flag

Recipes for Baked Potato Soup

September 30, 2008 Flag

Put first 5 ingredients into large saucepan. Saute vegetables until onion is soft and clear. Add potato, ham, chicken stock, salt, pepper and parsley.

December 27, 2010 Flag

Saute celery and onions in margarine in a large pot until tender, but not brown. Add potatoes, carrots, water, bouillon or granules, salt, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and pepper.

November 3, 2010 Flag

Combine potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, margarine, bouillon cubes, and water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes.

November 12, 2012 Flag

I love the cheese and ham in this recipe!

September 10, 2012 Flag

The evenings here in Iowa are getting cool so I know fall is not far away. This is a great cold-weather soup!

August 27, 2012 Flag

This is a favorite of my husband in the winter time, which here in Iowa will be on us before we know it!

November 9, 2006 Flag

Recipe for Virginia Potato Soup. Cook veggies until soft. Add soups and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Simmer a little. Remove from heat.

December 5, 2010 Flag

Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes. Bring water to a boil in large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid; set aside potatoes.

March 22, 2008 Flag

I would like a good recipe for potato soup. There is a truck stop in Lincoln, Neb. that has the BEST potato soup, I wish I could get their recipe.

Theresa from Hibbing, MN

Answers:

Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Soups-Stews-and-Chili/Main.aspx (11/13/2007)

By MCW

Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

I have made the following recipe I found at allrecipes.com, several times and we love it.

Delicious Ham and Potato Soup

Prep Time: 20 Minutes,
Cook Time: 25 Minutes Ready In: 45 Minutes,
Yields: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS:
3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes,
1/3 cup diced celery,
1/3 cup finely chopped onion,
3/4 cup diced cooked ham,
3 1/4 cups water,
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules,
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste,
1 teaspoon ground white or
black pepper, or to taste,
5 tablespoons butter,
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour,
2 cups milk

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

Note: I probably use more closer to 4 cups of potatoes and I cook it longer.
(11/14/2007)

By Debbie52

Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

I just recently got this recipe and have not had a chance to try it yet, but the girls at work have made it and love it.

(b)Baked Potato Soup(/b)

4 large baking potatoes,
6 c. milk,
4 green onions (sliced),
1 1/4 c. cheddar cheese (shredded),
2/3 c. margarine,
3/4 t. salt,
10 pcs. bacon (fried, then crumbled),
4 oz. sour cream,
2/3 c. flour,
1/2 t pepper

Bake potatoes. When cooled cut in half and use for or hands to crumble insides out of skins. Melt margarine in soup kettle and add flour. Cook, stirring constantly until smooth. gradually add milk and cook until thick and bubbly. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, half the onions, half the bacon, and 1 c. cheese. Cook until heated through, then stir in sour cream. Garnish with remaining onion, bacon & cheese.
(11/14/2007)

Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

Ultimate Potato Soup

I don't remember where I got this recipe, but everyone I serve it to says its the "best ever" (even those who didn't think they liked potato soup!).

1 lb bacon,
2 stalks celery, diced,
1 onion, chopped,
3 cloves garlic, minced,
8 large potatoes, peeled and cubed,
4 cups chicken stock or bouillon (enough to cover potatoes),
3 tbl butter,
1/4 C flour,
1 C heavy cream (or half & half or whole milk),
1 tsp dried tarragon,
1 tbl chopped fresh cilantro,
salt and pepper to taste

In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over med heat until done. Remove bacon and set aside, drain off all but 1/4 c of the bacon grease.

In the 1/4 c of grease, sauté the celery and onion until onion turns clear. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 2 mins. Add cubed potatoes and toss to coat, sauté for 4 mins, Return the bacon to the pan and add enough chicken stock to just cover potatoes. Cover, simmer until potatoes are tender but not mushy.

In a separate pan, melt butter over med heat. Whisk in the flour, cook, stirring constantly for 2 mins. Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon and cilantro. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Puree about 1//2 the soup, and return to the pan and mix well. Adjust seasonings to taste.

I hope your family enjoys this as much as ours!

Tamak
(11/14/2007)

By tamak

This is THE BEST soup I've ever had...

And absolutely nothing healthy about it and you probably can feel your arteries clogging just when you read the recipe, but we all must indulge every once in a while, right?

1 stick butter,
1 med onion - minced,
1 cup grated carrot,
1/2 cup of chopped celery

Saute these together until tender. I usually just chop the onions and carrots.

Add: 4 cans cream of potato soup,
1 lb grated Velveeta cheese (if I buy the block I just slice it up),
8 oz sour cream,
4 cups milk,
salt and pepper to taste.

I usually put this in a big crock pot and just slow cook it all day.

p.s.
There are a lot of ways to make this healthier....reduced fat soups, sour cream, don't use as much butter/margarine, fat free milk, etc. I just wrote the recipe as I have it.

And sometimes, I throw in some broccoli and/or cauliflower if I have it, or some ham and bacon, whatever you feel like pretty much will work in here!
(11/14/2007)

By tms421

Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

Here is one of my favorites. Enjoy!

6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 leeks, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 rib celery, sliced
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 T. dried parsley flakes
5 c. water
1 T. salt
Pepper to taste
1/3 c. butter
13 oz. can evaporated milk
Chopped chives

1. Combine all ingredients except milk and chives in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on low 10-12 hours, or high 3-4 hours. Stir in milk during last hour.
3. If desired, mash potatoes before serving.
4. Garnish with chives.

Variations:
add one carrot, sliced, to vegetables before cooking.
Instead of water and bouillon cubes, use 4-5 cups chicken stock.
(11/14/2007)

By Jayme

Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

This is for instant potato soup mix but it is really good. 2 1/2 c. instant potatoes, 1 1/4 c. powered coffee creamer, 1 package chicken gravy mix, 2 teaspoons dry onion powder, 2 teaspoons chicken granules. Put in a air tight container that will hold 4 cups and shake to mix. To serve use 1 cup boiling water and 1/2 cup mix, stir well and let set 3 minutes. Other spices can be added for your taste. (11/17/2007)

By Phyllis

January 19, 2011 Flag

In 3 qt. saucepan, combine first 9 ingredients. Cover and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes.

Load More
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups PotatoSeptember 11, 2012
Irish Potato Soup
Irish Potato Soup Recipes
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 24, 2016 at 4:06:05 PM on 10.0.1.8 in 971 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.