Potato Soup Recipes

The versatile potato is the basis for a hearty soup that is easy to make and can be varied by adding additional ingredients. This page contains potato soup recipes.

Potato Soup Recipes
Filter Sort

Recipe: Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

By melissa 275 423

I have made quite a few potato soups in my life and I have to say that this one absolutely turned out the best. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)

Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

Approximate Time: Under an hour

Yield: About 6 main dish servings

• 6 Tbsp butter
  • 12 cloves garlic, diced
  • 2 1/2 large onions, chopped
  • 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
  • 3 pounds, plus 1 potato, peeled and cut in quarters
  • water to cover potatoes
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3-4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp basil
  • Cheese and green onions for garnish
Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

1. Peel and cut your potatoes, rinse well. Add to a pot with just enough water to cover your potatoes. Turn heat to high and boil for 10-15 minutes, or until fork tender. Turn heat off, do not drain water.
  2. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  3. Meantime, chop your garlic, onions and parsley. Melt your butter in a pan and saute your veggies until soft, about 8 minutes.
  4. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  5. Add your veggies, cream and seasonings to your potatoes. Mash everything with a held held tool until large lumps are gone.
  6. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  7. Turn heat on and cook until heated through again. Remove from heat.
  8. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup
  9. Add garnishes and enjoy!
  10. Mouth-Watering Potato Soup

Source: Modified from a recipe in a childrens cookbook

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: German Potato Soup

By Stephanie 155 243

This is a very hearty and healthy soup that is made almost completely of vegetables. It feels like a rich creamy winter soup, but only has about 250 calories a serving and tastes great!

German Potato Soup

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Yield: 8 (1 1/2) cup servings

• 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 10 Slices slices turkey bacon (about 2/3 package)
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2-4 leeks
  • 4 medium carrots
  • 1 head cabbage
  • 8 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
  • 6 potatoes
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tsp caraway seeds
  • 1/2 tsp salt (or more)
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 8 Tbsp nonfat plain yogurt, for serving
German Potato Soup

1. Cube potatoes. Chop bacon, onion, leeks*, and carrots. Shred cabbage. I used a food processor to make quick work of this.
  2. German Potato Soup
  3. Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high-heat. Saute' turkey bacon, onion, leeks, carrots and cabbage. Cook stirring frequently for 7-10 minutes or until vegetables soften.
  4. German Potato Soup
  5. Add broth, potatoes, bay leaves, caraway seeds, pepper, salt, and nutmeg to vegetables.
  6. German Potato Soup
  7. Bring to a boil stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally for for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
  8. German Potato Soup
  9. Place 4 cups of soup in the food processor or blender, cover and blend until smooth. An immersion blender would have been great for this step if I'd had one :)

I did go through with a slotted spoon to catch any large potato chunks and blend those, since I'd cubed them pretty roughly, but they would have boiled down on their own eventually.
  10. German Potato Soup
  11. Return blended soup to saucepan and mix well. Serve immediately, or keep on lowest heat until ready to serve.
  12. German Potato Soup
  13. Serve each portion topped with 1 Tbsp. yogurt. My husband picked up French bread on the way home because it's the kids' favorite. I think it would be even better with a nice rustic loaf.

Tip: Soak the leeks after chopping to easily remove the embedded dirt.

Source: This is a BeachBody recipe that I have modified quite a bit

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Looking for a Potato Soup Recipe

By Helen Reed 2 3

I am looking for a Potato Soup Recipe.

Helen R. from Tunnelton, WV

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Debbie 6 Flag

This is my all time favorite!

4 large Baking Potatoes

1 tsp. salt

2/3 cup margarine

1/4 tsp. pepper

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

6 cups milk

1 cup Sour Cream

1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion

10 bacon strips, cooked & crumbled

4 oz. Shredded Colby or Cheddar Cheese

Bake potatoes at 350 degrees for 65-75 minutes or in microwave Until tender; cool completely. Peel & cube potatoes.

In a large saucepan melt margarine; stir in flour, salt & pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook & stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes. Garnish with green onin, bacon & cheese.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Here's one that came from my Mother!

Take 8 potatoes wash peel and dice.

Add one large onion diced. Cover with water and cook until done.

Mash potatoes up a little with potato masher, leave a few lumps. Add 2 cups milk and 2 cups heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Peel, chop and cook about 8 potatoes until very soft, meanwhile chop and saute in butter one large onion, 2 stalks of celery, stir into potatoes, add 16 oz sour cream, salt and pepper to taste. If there is any leftovers I have also added small can of chopped clams for clam chowder.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Joan 2 3 Flag

Baked Potato Soup

4 large potatoes, scrubbed Bake potatoes until fork tender Cut potatoes in half and scoop out (flake potatoes)--Chop 1/2 of the peels in small pieces (discard other half of peels)

In heavy kettle

Melt 2/3 cup butter

Add 2/3 cup flour (whisk together)

Add 1 and 1/2 quarts milk Stir constantly till thickened

alt and pepper to taste

Add potato and skins

Add 4 green onions -chopped (I use about 1/4 cup instant minced onion)

1 cup sour cream

1 and 1/2 cup crisp-cooked, crumbled bacon

5 oz. finely grated cheddar cheese (heat through) do not let it boil

Mix all over low heat until cheese melts

(When I do this at home, I sprinkle the bacon and the cheese on top of the hot soup--for group it will work better to have it all in the soup like the recipe says to do, I just like the bacon to stay really crisp.)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Hearty Potato and Sausage Soup

By Free2B 217 350

Bowl of the soup, some on spoon, and sausage on the side.This is a bit of a change for potato soup, a little heartier and spicier than the usual, with a touch of heat. I don't slice the sausage up, I just cook it in the soup to heat the sausage up, and give the soup a little more flavor. I did it this way to please the household, but slicing the sausage up to add to the soup would be really good.

• 4 stalks celery, sliced
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 or more small, mildly hot red peppers, sliced
  • cumin to taste (start with 1 tsp, I add 1 Tbsp.)
  • marjoram to taste (start with 1 tsp, I add 2 tsp.)
  • ham bouillon to taste (I add 1 tbl)
  • 2 quarts potatoes peeled, chopped to be bite-size
  • water to nearly cover the potatoes
  • one package of sausage, your choice (heat and serve)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup thick, plain, unsweetened yogurt, or sour cream

Directions:

Saute the celery in bacon fat or olive oil for 5 minutes (I use bacon fat for flavor), then add the onions. Cook until nearly done, since the potatoes won't take long to cook. Add the cumin and hot pepper a minute or two before you add anything else - cumin benefits from a brief saute in oil. Then add in the potatoes and stir it all together to combine. Add water within about an inch short of covering the potatoes. Add the bouillon and the marjoram.

10 minutes before potatoes are done, add the sausage and simmer briskly. When the potatoes are tender, remove the sausage and keep warm. Mash some of the potatoes right in the pot, if you want the soup a bit thicker. Then mix the yogurt and milk and stir it in slowly, stirring the whole while. Bring the soup back to a simmer, and remove from heat. Serve.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Eva's Potato Soup

By Judy Pariser S. 82 68

Everyone loves this on a cold winter day. We eat it like it is, but it also tastes good with cheddar cheese or bacon sprinkled on top!

Approximate Time: 2 hours cooking, 1/2 hour prep

Yield: 8Eva's Potato Soup

• 1 large onion, chopped
  • 5-7 potatoes, peeled and cubed. (the smaller the potatoes, the more you need)
  • 3 carrots, peeled and cubed
  • 4 ribs of celery, chopped
  • water to cover
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes

1. Saute the onion until transparent. Add the potatoes, carrots and celery. Add water to barely cover the potatoes. Season with the bouillon cubes and salt and pepper. Bring just to a boil, then simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
  2. Serve as it is, or use an immersion blender to smooth it out.
  3. Eva's Potato Soup

Source: My sister, Eva.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Gigi's Easy Potato Soup

By xintexas 28 395

It finally turned a little cool here in south Texas with the much needed rain that came and stayed all weekend.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Potato Flakes For Thick Potato Soup

By Janette 91 153

I use instant potato flakes to thicken my potato soup. What else would you use!

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Recipe for German Potato Soup

By Wyla Wilkie 2 1

I need a recipe for German Potato Soup.

Wyla from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

German Potato Soup

1 pound cooked smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices

1/2 of a 28-ounce package frozen loose-pack diced hash brown potatoes with onion and peppers (about 4 cups)

1 16-ounce jar sauerkraut, rinsed and drained

2 tablespoons stone ground mustard

3 14-ounce cans chicken broth (5-1/4 cups)

In a 4- to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker place sausage, frozen potatoes, sauerkraut, and mustard. Pour broth over all.

Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.

Makes 6 to 8 main-dish servings (about 9-2/3 cups).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Easy Cheesy Potato Soup

By Robin 5,893 29

• 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 inch square sliced Velveeta cheese

Directions:

Cook potatoes until tender. Do not drain all of potato water off. Save enough for 1 can of water in soup can. Add soup; add Velveeta cheese to taste. Heat until cheese is melted.

By Robin from Washington, IA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Frozen Mashed Potato Soup Recipe

By Julie Elise Iles 1 1

I am looking for a recipe for frozen mashed potato soup.

By Julie from Windsor, ON

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr522587 Flag

PS: I think you'll want to allow the potatoes to thaw in the refrigerator first.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Sadie's Soup -1940

By Vi Johnson 286 801

Brown one medium onion in bacon fat. Add to one large can of tomato juice and one regular size can of cut/chopped tomatoes. Add bite sized pieces of potatoes.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Harvest Potato Soup

By Jess 132 771

This soup was a bit hit with the family and was a great way to use up older veggies. The carrots and squash have it a lovely golden color and a rich flavor.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Tips for Delicious Potato Soup

By Janette 91 153

When making potato soup, add 1 can of cream of chicken soup and one can of cream of onion soup. Thicken the soup with instant mashed potato flakes. Add a little of the flakes at a time until you get the consistency you like. I also like to add about 1/4 cup of chicken soup base. You won't believe how good this is.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Potato Soup

By Robin 5,893 29

Cook potatoes and onion in salt water until tender. Add milk and butter. Heat (don't boil). Just before serving add 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Longhorn Potato Soup

By Robin 5,893 29

Saute celery and onions in margarine in a large pot until tender, but not brown. Add potatoes, carrots, water, bouillon or granules, salt, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and pepper.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Hearty Potato Soup

By Robin 5,893 29

Combine potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, margarine, bouillon cubes, and water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Baked Potato Soup

By Robin 5,893 29

Recipes for Baked Potato Soup

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Super Scrumptious Spud Soup

By Faith Vandriel 46 1

Put first 5 ingredients into large saucepan. Saute vegetables until onion is soft and clear. Add potato, ham, chicken stock, salt, pepper and parsley.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Virginia Potato Soup

By Robin 5,893 29

Recipe for Virginia Potato Soup. Cook veggies until soft. Add soups and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Simmer a little. Remove from heat.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Cheesy Potato Soup

By Robin 5,893 29

I love the cheese and ham in this recipe!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Potato Soup

By Robin 5,893 29

The evenings here in Iowa are getting cool so I know fall is not far away. This is a great cold-weather soup!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Instant Mashed Potato Soup

Can anyone give me a simple instant mashed potato soup recipe?

By D.D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Potato Soup

By Robin 5,893 29

This is a favorite of my husband in the winter time, which here in Iowa will be on us before we know it!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Chunky Potato Soup

By Robin 5,893 29

Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes. Bring water to a boil in large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid; set aside potatoes.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Cheesy Potato Soup

In pot cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp, 6-8 minutes; drain on paper towels.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Potato Soup

• 6 large potatoes
  • 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • chopped onion
  • chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tsp dried mustard
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

Boil about 6 large potatoes.

In a skillet place about 2 Tbsp. of margarine or butter with some chopped onion and chopped celery and saute until tender. Then you add about 1/2 cup of flour to this and stir, salt and Pepper to taste. Immediately add 1 cup milk and 1 cup chicken broth. Continue to stir this on heat until bubbly. Add this mixture to the potatoes and continue to heat on low to medium heat. Last, add 1 tsp of dried mustard and 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce and continue to cook until bubbly. Serve this up with grilled cheese sandwiches or buttered toast and enjoy!

By Melissa

Feedback:

RE: Potato Soup Recipes

Here's one that my family grew up on and comes home asking for more:

Peel 10-12 medium -to- large sized potatoes and cut into large chunks. Place potatoes in at least 2-3 quarts water and boil. Make sure the potatoes are covered with water and has at least 2-3 inches of water over the top of the potatoes. This depends on how much soup you will need. Add to boiling potatoes, about 2 Tbsp. (real) butter, 1 Tbsp. onion powder, 1 1/2 Tbsp. celery salt, 1 tsp. salt and pepper to taste. When tender enough to stick a fork through, remove half of the potatoes from water and place in large bowl. Leave other potatoes in pan and turn heat to low. Mix potatoes in bowl with about 1 tsp. butter, 1/4 cup corn meal and salt and pepper to taste. Mix till creamy, but not thin. Return to pan with other potatoes and water. Return to a simmering boil. Add 1 cup (2% or whole) milk and return to a boil. Stir often. Continue to simmer, will thicken as it cooks so watch carefully.

I always add fresh parsley (chopped) and chives (after adding milk), before serving, I add bacon bits and place shredded cheddar cheese...sharp....on the table for those who like cheese. Some in my family have not acquired the taste for cheese. I add different spices at times, depending on which part of the family comes home. Also, my husband loves for me to add sliced flour tortilla shells. Once added to the boiling soup after adding milk, they turn into dumplings while cooking. I also use these in my chicken-n-dumplings instead of making my own dumplings, for a quicker version. Really good. Hope you enjoy. (05/03/2005)

By darlin daisy

BAKED POTATO SOUP

This is my favorite soup for those soon to come crisp, autumn days. I usually double the recipe when I make it, it takes a good part of an hour to make. Make sure you use baked potatoes, as the taste is not the same if you do not.

• 2 Large Baked Potatoes with Skins

• 2 Chopped Green Onions Tops Included or

• 1/2 Tbsp. Onion Powder

• 1 Tbsp. Butter

• 4 Slices Cooked and Chopped Bacon

• 1/4 Tbsp. Minced or Powdered Garlic

• 1/2 Tbsp. Parsley Flakes

• Celery seed to taste
WHITE SAUCE
  • 2 Tbsp. Butter

• 1 1/2 Tbsp. Flour

• 2 1/2 Cups Milk

• 1 Tsp. Salt

• 1/4 Tsp. Pepper
Bake potatoes. Dice two and mash the remaining two, leaving skins on diced potatoes. While waiting for potatoes to bake:

In one pan in the tablespoon of butter, saute the bacon, onion, garlic, and seasonings; a nonstick frying pan works best for this step.

To make the white sauce; in a 2 quart saucepan over low heat stir the two tablespoons of butter and flour until bubbling brown. Remove from heat and gradually add milk, stirring until smooth after each addition. (A wire whisk used slowly works best for this.) Return to medium heat stirring constantly and bring to boil.

To the white sauce mixture add potatoes, celery, and bacon mix. Cover and simmer 5 - 7 minutes. Stir and serve, topping with grated cheddar cheese if desired.
(05/05/2005)

By gardencraft

RE: Potato Soup Recipes

I've had great luck with the potato cheese soup recipe in "Desperation Dinners" by Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross. (Check your library and remember to ask about inter-library loans.) (05/05/2005)

By Debbie

ALMOST MARIE CALLENDAR'S POTATO CHEESE SOUP

• 8 cups Potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 2 cups Chopped onion
  • 4 cups Chopped celery
  • 2 tsp. Salt
  • 4 cups Water
  • 4 cups Half-and-half
  • 6 Tbps. Butter or margarine
  • 1 cup Shredded sharp cheddar heese
Place potatoes, onions, celery, and salt in the 4 cups of water in a large pot. Simmer about 15 minutes until vegetables are tender. Put in blender and puree until chunky. Return soup to pot and add half-and-half, butter, and cheese. Simmer until hot. Do NOT Boil.

Potato Soup

• 4 large baking potatoes
  • 2/3 C. butter or margarine
  • 2/3 C. flour
  • 6 C. milk
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. white pepper
  • 4 green onions -- chopped and divided
  • 12 slices bacon -- cooked and crumbled
  • 1 1/4 C. cheddar cheese -- shredded and divided
  • 8 oz. sour cream

Preparation:

Wash, dry and prick potatoes with fork. Bake in 400 degree oven for 1 hour or until done. Let cool. Cut into half lengthwise and scoop out pulp; set aside. Use skins for something else, such as stuffed potato skins. Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, 2 Tbsp. green onion, half the bacon and 1 cup cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in sour cream. Add extra milk if necessary for desired consistency. Serve with remaining green onions, bacon and cheese

Potato Soup

• 3 tbsp. butter or magarine
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 stalk celery chopped
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 3 cups of milk

Melt butter in a large pot and add onion and celery. Cook for 10 minutes over med. heat, stir. Stir in one cup of water, cover and simmer about 10 minutes more. Add potatoes and 2 more cups of water, cover and cook 10 minutes . Stir in milk, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper; sprinkle paprika on top...add a sprig of parsley.

Potato Soup

2 medium potatoes, pared and diced
2 slices onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot milk
dash of pepper
1 stalk celery, finely sliced
1/3 cup water

Combine the potatoes, onion and salt in a medium saucepan. Add boiling water (this can be done in the microwave). Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender. Do not drain. Mash potatoes with a fork. Add milk, pepper and celery. More milk may be added if the soup is too thick.

Potato Soup

Servings: 4

• 2 ea Potatoes; medium
  • 1 ea Onion; medium size
  • 4 ea Celery & leaves; stalks
  • 2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
  • 1 x Boiling water
  • 1 ea Bay leaf; small
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Butter
  • 2 cups Milk;up to 3 cups maybe used
  • 1 x Parsley; chopped

Peel and thinly slice potatoes, onion and celery. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes in hot vegetable oil. In a large pot, add all of the vegetables and cover with with just enough boiling water to cover. Place bay leaf and salt in pot and boil vegetables until tender. Drain vegetables and reserve liquid. Mash vegetables into vegetable stock; add butter. Thin soup with milk as desired; heat until warm. (DO NOT boil). Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Potato Soup

• 4 to 5 potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 to 4 slices of bacon
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 piece of celery (opt.)
  • 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup milk

Place potatoes in water. Add onions, bacon and celery. Cook until tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove celery, add Worcestershire sauce and milk. Heat but do not boil. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Potato Soup

• 1 pound bacon, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 4 cups chicken stock, or
  • enough to cover potatoes
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup allpurpose flour
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
  • 3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • salt and pepper to taste

In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done. Remove bacon from pan, and set aside. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.

In the bacon grease remaining in the pan, saute the celery and onion until onion begins to turn clear. Add the garlic, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Return the bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes. Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.

In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon and cilantro. Bring the cream mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Puree about 1/2 the soup, and return to the pan. Adjust seasonings to taste.

POTATO SOUP WITH HAM

• 6 medium potatoes, chopped
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup diced ham
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 tsp. parsley flakes

Dice potatoes and onions; boil in water until done. Drain off water and save. Add butter to potatoes and onions until butter melts. Add flour, ham and parsley; stir lightly. Pour in 4 cups of potato water and then milk. Turn heat up to medium and stir until soup thickens, about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. (05/13/2005)

By lovmylilangel

Creamy Potato Soup

If you like a thick, hearty soup, this is a great recipe! It's quick and easy too!

• 6 slices bacon
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 6 cups potatoes, cubed
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 (10 1/4 oz) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 2 soup cans of milk
  • 2 Tbsp. parsley

In large saucepan, fry bacon until crisp. Set bacon aside. Pour off all but 3 Tbsp. fat. Add onion and brown. Add potatoes and water. Cook covered 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Watch carefully so all water doesn't evaporate; add more water if necessary. Stir in salt, soup and milk. Heat but DO NOT boil. Add more milk or water if you want a thinner soup. Garnish with crumbled bacon and parsley. Serves 6.

(05/19/2005)

By Meari

RE: Potato Soup Recipes

I love this sweet potato and butternut squash soup recipe. Winter won't seem to let go so I'm going to keep making this as long as I can!

http://feastonthecheap.wordpress.com/2009/03/03/the-highs-butternut-squash-and-sweet-potato-soup/ (03/06/2009)

By mollyring

Archive: Potato Soup

• 3 tbsp butter or margarine
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup diced carrot
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 4 cups diced potato
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp parsley flakes
  • 2 cups milk

Directions:

Melt butter. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook until onion is clear. Add potato, chicken stock, salt, pepper and parsley. Boil. Simmer until vegetables are cooked, stirring occasionally. Add milk and heat without boiling. Makes 5 cups.

Can sprinkle grated cheese on top.

From <a
href="http://www.CanadianCountryGifts.com">http://www.CanadianCountryGifts.com

Archive: Potato Soup

• 1 Tbsp. chopped onion
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. celery salt
  • 1 cup boiled potatoes, mashed
  • 2 cups milk

Directions:

Saute' chopped onion in butter. Add salt, pepper, celery salt, and potatoes. Stir in 2 cups hot milk; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. This recipe makes 6 servings.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Archive: Easy Potato Soup

My husband wanted potato soup one night for dinner and I thought I had enough potatoes because I always make things from scratch, discovering that I didn't and we live 30 miles from the nearest store and I couldn't justify going to town for a bag of potatoes. Anyway, I searched the cupboards and found I had some instant potatoes.

So, I cooked the potatoes (4), mashed them till they were in little chunks, added some milk and water and then slowly added the instant potatoes and then seasonings. My husband loved these. They had the chunks of potatoes he likes and the creamy potatoes too. Plus it was much easier to make and didn't take long. Yum!

By RoseMary B.

Feedback:

RE: Easy Potato Soup

Instant potatoes can be added to many cream type soups for added body and flavor. When I make potato soup, I mash the cooked potatoes slighty with a masher right in the pan to make smaller pieces. I have been adding peas to the potato soup in an effort to serve more veggies. Cheese can be added as well. Also, I sometimes use non-dairy creamer for a richer taste, or, evaporated milk. (04/08/2005)

By Pat

RE: Easy Potato Soup

Easy and Lowfat -

• 1 pkg frozen hashbrown potatoes
  • 3 cans chicken broth
  • 1 envelope McCormicks Country Gravy mix
Spray pan with non stick cooking spray and heat potatoes on medium until thawed, add chicken broth and country gravy mix. I also add chopped carrots and celery sometimes. (12/12/2005)

By Mia

Archive: Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

Does anyone have an easy potato soup recipe?

Nicholas from Salinas, CA

Feedback:

RE: Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

I'm a mom of six kids, half in college and half home in Jr high and High school.
They request my potato soup on cold days.

In a large soup pot, melt 1/2 stick of butter or 2 tsp. Olive oil. Meanwhile, chop into 1/2 inch dice a large onion and 3-4 stalks of celery. Cook over med heat until the celery and onions are translucent. Meanwhile, peel and dice 4-6 potatoes (depending on the size of your crowd). I like to keep some of the skin on for flavor and the 'rustic' look of the soup. In the pot, bring to boil 2-3 cups water,, add chicken buillon according to the amount of water. Add potatoes, cook till done. Add 2-3 cups milk, I like to use at least 2 cups of milk made from dry milk, then finish with the fresh. Add to soup, season to taste. Bring to steaming, almost to boil. Enjoy! (The amounts in this recipe are all approximate, that's how I cook, adding what i have or feel like. Adjust the amounts to your needs. :O)
a great flavor in this soup is to add a nice tablespoon of mustard to the pot with the milk, whisk in, your choice! I've also added parsley. We also like to put shredded or diced cheese on top of the soup. (02/29/2008)

By KLJohn

My family has made this potato soup for years. Peel 10 potatoes and dice, put them in a large pot with 10 cups of water or more. Dice one onion and some celery to taste then put that in the pot too. Boil until everything is done. Add 2 cups of milk. In a cup, 3t. corn starch and 4t water, mix, add to the pot and stir, this thickens it. Turn off heat and add salt and pepper to taste. When you serve have a bowl of shredded colby cheese. This is easy and fast and tastes wonderful. (02/29/2008)

By speeler

This soup is so good you can eat it like fondue, so be sure to have some good bread with it. Martha Stewart recently did a similar one, without the secret ingredient. Chop a large onion, several carrots, and 6-10 potatoes. Saute these in olive oil. You can also add cauliflower and any squash you have. Then add water or chicken broth to cover and cook till soft.

If you want to add some chicken that's good too. When done, remove chicken and debone. Then add...the secret ingredient. 8 oz brick of reduced-fat cream cheese. Puree the soup with immersion blender (or regular blender).

Put the cut-up chicken back in, if you have it. Don't puree the chicken. This is the only dish I love to eat even three days in a row. I've never had anyone not absolutely love it. (02/29/2008)

By Jeneene

I learned this recipe from a resident of an assisted living facility and I tweaked it a bit. This is always a big hit with my family. Peel and dice about 8 potatoes and add about a half cup of chopped onions. Just barely cover with water and cook until the potatoes are tender but still a little firm. Add one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can of evaporated skim milk and stir well. Turn the heat down to a simmer and heat through. Then I add about a cup of cheese. You can use any cheese you like but it's especially good with hot pepper jack cheese. I toss in about a cup of diced precooked ham (usually from leftovers) and add some black pepper and chives and simmer for about 5 more minutes. I rarely have any left for a second day but if I do, it's even better than on the first day. (03/01/2008)

By binkylou

Baked Potato Soup

This is super easy and delicious!

• 1/2 stick butter
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 can 14.5 oz chicken broth
  • 1 can 12 oz. evaporated milk
  • 2 large or 3 medium potatoes, baked or microwaved
Melt butter in lg saucepan. Add onion; stir occasionally til tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk. Scoop potato pulp from 1 potato (reserve skin); mash. Add pulp to broth mixture. Dice remaining potato and skin; add to soup. Heat through. Tastes cheesy, even though there is no cheese in it. My family loves it. (03/03/2008)

By kflocey

I made some potato soup this past week. I cut about 4 potatoes into diced pieces. Put in pan with water and bring to a boil and cook till soft...but; not mushy. In another pan I saute chopped celery, and onion in a small amount of butter. Stir constantly. Then I added some flour and mixed together. To this add some milk to make like a gravy, but it is the base of the soup.

Once the potatoes are done. Drain and add to the base mix. I sometimes add some of the water off the potatoes because it is full of vitamins., and it thickens the soup. I then add some cheese sauce to it. Making it like cheesy potato soup. When served in bowls I add some real bacon bits and sprinkle with shredded cheese of my choice. This is really good. Hope you enjoy. (03/03/2008)

By Debbie

Buy plain frozen hash browns. Put them into a pan. Add water to cover lus about an inch or so. You might need to add a little more once it fully begins to cook. Add a whole onion- or cut it up if you'd prefer. Cook several hours, add a large dollop of butter. I like to mix mine with milk or half and half when I serve it. Best tasting, easiest soup to prepare. (03/03/2008)

By Patti

My recipe is similar except I mix a can of condensed milk with enough water to cover the boiling potatoes, celery and onions. I also add Velveta cheese at the end. I add slices to very hot soup and stir.

If your soup is not thick enough, use the flakes or buds for fake mashed potatoes, a little at a time to thicken. (03/03/2008)

By nancycorinne

My mom's recipe was very uncomplicated. Dice a medium onion and chop up as many celery leaves and ends as you have. I save them up in a baggie. Use the leaves and ends so the stalks can be used for veggie trays or eat with peanut butter! Add one large or two small bay leaves and simmer just covered with water until the celery is tender. Add about a third of a cup of milk or cream, remove bay leaves and serve. I like to add salt, pepper and a pat of butter to my mug of soup at serving time. If you cook it with pepper in it the pepper concentrates. Be careful there. I swear by bay leaves in my potato soup though. (03/03/2008)

By Leigh Ann

Leigh Ann, I don't see any potatoes in your potato soup? I think any potato soup is potatoes (leftover mashed will do), onions, and milk. That the basic. Then add any extras that you prefer (cheese, celery,etc). (03/03/2008)

By Pam2cats

I use non-drairy creamer. I mix it with hot water, put in a few potatoes that I have boiled, some cubed ham, and use instant mashed potatoes to thicken the soup. You need to stir the left overs before you reheat it as it does seperate. (03/03/2008)

By BeccaL

My recipe is similar to binkylou's with one exception. I boil my potatoes in chicken broth instead of water, and I change the cream of soup to whatever my taste is at the time, ie...chicken, celery, mushroom (all very good). My family loves it, thick and creamy. (03/04/2008)

By jmz2005

look at cooks.com they have wonderful recipies to look at... (03/04/2008)

By ang

All of the above are great and you might want to add my favorite "secret" ingredient: a good handful of dry noodles to the pot after you've cooked the potatoes. Adds a little heft to the soup.--Jeanne from Colorado (03/04/2008)

By jeanne01

I made a very easy potato soup last night for dinner. I started with two leeks, halved and chopped (I like to soak the leeks for a minute to get the grit off after I chop them). I sauteed them with about 1 Tbsp. of olive oil until soft. Then I added in about a quart of chicken broth, 4 cubed potatoes and some leftover instant mashed potatoes. I just seasoned with salt and pepper but other spices would have been good too. I brought it to a boil and then let it simmer for about 30 minutes.

The potatoes were still in one piece but would about melt in your mouth and the instant potatoes made a nice creamy sauce. I had made the chicken stock earlier in the week from a roast chicken so it was a very frugal meal too. We had it for dinner with a salad and it made enough for leftovers too. (03/04/2008)

By jess

Archive: Potato Soup

Ingredients

• 3-4 large potatoes
  • 1 medium size onion
  • 2 Tbsp. sour cream
  • 1 qt. water
  • parsley
  • salt
  • 1 Tbsp. paprika
  • 1 Tbsp. butter

Directions

Melt about 1 Tbsp. of butter in a saucepan. When hot, add the chopped onion, paprika and potatoes, diced small. Simmer gently without browning until the onions are of a light golden color, then sprinkle with a little chopped parsley. Add the hot water and season with salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1/2 hour or until the potatoes are soft cooked. Stir in 2 tablespoons of sour cream when the saucepan has been removed from the heat.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Archive: Easy Cheesy Potato Soup

I found this recipe and thought I really had to share with you.

Ingredients
  • 8 potatoes cut into chunks
  • 2 celery ribs, sliced
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 1/2 cups Cheez Whiz
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

In large pot, put potatoes, celery, and onion. Fill with enough water to cover vegetables. Boil until veggies are tender.
With potato masher, mash veggies until desired consistency. Add milk and cheese. Stir until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

It's actually pretty yummy. My family enjoyed it. And it contains only few ingredients that you probably already have on hand.

By Terra from Manitoba, Canada

Archive: Potato Soup

Ingredients

• 6 medium potatoes, cubed
  • 1/2 tsp. onion, diced
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 1 box instant potatoes (reg. size)
  • salt and pepper ( to taste)
  • 1 can corn
  • ham, cubed (to taste)

Directions

In a large pot, place the cubed potatoes, onion, butter, salt and pepper together. Boil until the potatoes are tender. Mash the potatoes, in the pot, until they are chunky; do not drain the water. Add the milk and stir. Add the instant potatoes, a little at a time, while stirring. (This will thicken the soup to the consistency you want.) If the soup becomes too thick, add a little more milk, if too thin, add more instant potatoes. Add the corn and ham. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Archive: Easy Cheesy Potato Soup

I am looking to a recipe for tastefully simple potato cheddar soup. The authentic product is not in my budget and my kids love it.

By censusgirl65 from Dearborn, MI

Feedback:

Cheese Vegetable Soup

• 2 quarts water
  • 1 diced onion
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 2 1/2 cups diced potatoes
  • 1 10 oz pkg. frozen mixed vegetables (I use just carrots)
  • 4 chicken bouillon cubes

Cook until veggies are tender. Just before serving add:

• 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 1 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
Heat until soup and cheese are blended in with veggies. Serve, makes a crockpot full of soup. (09/29/2009)

By redhatterb

RE: Easy Cheesy Potato Soup

This is so good we eat it like fondue, dipping bread. Saute a large onion in olive oil, then add peeled, cubed potatoes (I use about 10 medium potatoes) and sliced carrots (2 or 3) If you have it, you can add celery and/or cauliflower. Saute, stirring often.

Cover with water and chicken base or 2 chicken bouillon cubes, and bring to a boil. When the veggies are tender, puree with a hand held blender, then add shredded cheddar to taste. If you use sharp, you can use less. Other additions that are delicious: 8 oz. cube of cream cheese, or 1/2 cup of sour cream.
(09/29/2009)

By Jeneene

RE: Easy Cheesy Potato Soup

I am a bit late on this, but hope you are still checking. My family's favorite, and it is quick and easy.

Dice up some onion, 1/2 or better, a bit of celery, if you have it handy, as it does add special flavor, even a bit of bell pepper, and saute for a bit in butter or oil of choice. Then using chicken stock, or a mix of stock and water, bring about 4-6 cups or so to a boil, add a couple diced potatoes, and the onion assortment. At this time season with some garlic, either minced, from a jar, or dried, to taste, simmer all for just a few minutes.

When potatoes are tender add instant potato flakes, and cubes of Velveeta, or any cheese that melts well, adding potato until a thickness you like is achieved. Don't overdo the cheese, then when the soup is served, put a bit of cheese on the top, as it is served, and sprinkle a dash of parsley for color, and flavor. You can tweak this to suit flavor strength, but you get the potato, cheese, and all the rich tastes, with minimal peeling of potato, and most of the ingredients are already in the kitchen. Hope you enjoy. (09/30/2009)

By LJF

Archive: Hearty Potato Soup

Ingredients

• 6 medium potatoes (peeled and cubed)
  • 2 carrots (diced)
  • 4 celery stalks (diced)
  • 2 qt. water
  • 1 onion (chopped)
  • 6 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 6 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 1/2 cup milk

Directions

In a large kettle, cook potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 20 minutes.

Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside. In the same kettle, saute' onion in butter until soft.

Stir in flour, salt and pepper, gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.

Gently add and stir in cooked vegetables.

Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency.

By Robin

Food and Recipes Recipes Soups PotatoSeptember 11, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Irish Potato Soup
Irish Potato Soup Recipes
bowl of sweet potato apple soup
Sweet Potato Soup Recipes
Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Slow Cooker Potato Soup Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 5:29:42 PM on 10.0.0.119 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings