Repairing an Air Mattress

Category Other
Repairing an Air Mattress
Air mattresses are a convenient extra bed for guests or for use when camping, but they do sometimes spring a leak. This is a guide about repairing an air mattress.

Get Gorilla Glue, you can find it anywhere. Get a piece of fabric like a T-shirt. Cut it into small squares. Deflate the air mattress in this process and know where your pinhole is! Put Gorilla Glue on the felt and then on the fabric. Push it on to the hole. Then get a hair dryer, keep a little far away on warm for 2 minutes. Let it dry 3 to 4 hours. Fill your bed up and it's done.

Hope I helped someone, good luck!

This guide is about finding leaks in an air mattress. It can be challenge to determine where the holes are, when an air mattress deflates itself.

Woman pumping up air mattress in the woods

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about finding replacement caps for your air mattress. An air mattress without its valve cap is not very useful.

red air mattress

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I have an Ozark Trail air mattress that will not hold air. Is there someplace I can take to have it checked out? I live in Wisconsin, the closest city would be Marshfield, Wisconsin. I could also go to Rapids or Eau Claire.

The mattress is a queen size with a frame.

By Karen

Best Answer

Air up the mattress find and mark any holes you find with blk marker then repair the hole yourself with pool patches. They worked beautiful for me and came in sheets so I could cut the size I needed.

Best Answer

We have had Ozark Trail air matresses before and they used to come with a patch kit. If ours started leaking, my husband would take it outside and put it section by section into a large plastic storage tote of water with a little dish soap in it (it needs to be at least partially blown up for this). Squeeze each section while it's being held underwater. If you see bubbles coming from it anywhere, there's your leak. Just patch it with the patch kit. If you don't have a patch kit, you can buy a bicycle tire patch kit. Of course you shouldn't dip the area where the batteries insert if it has batteries. Some of the self-inflating matresses have batteries in a small compartment in the mattress. If you don't want to bother with that, maybe you are friends with a tire changer at the tire sales businesses such as Big O Tires, A1 Tires, or Les Schwab Tires, etc. They could do the same thing but it would cost a lot more.

Pat T in Ocala

What do I use for a hole in an air mattress?

By BV from OK

Answers

Best Answer

Use a patch and cement for bicycle tubes. they are designed to hold under high air pressure. Make sure to press the patch on well - the cement is usually a kind of contact cement, so follow the instructions carefully. And make sure the patch doesn't contact the other side of the air mattress.

I have an Aerobed with a hole in the seam. I do have the repair kit, but this will not stick to the "material" side. The leak is not on the bottom that has vinyl

By Diane from St. Joseph, MO

Answers

Best Answer

Use LoctiteEpoxy. It works wonders. I found it in the glue section at Walmart, CVS and Target. Simply use the path that came with the air mattress or cut a portion from an old useless air mattress. Apply the Epoxy to the patch and place over the hole. You will be amazed. I've tried Gorilla glue, Super Glue you name it, and nothing has worked better than Epoxy. It's the Loctite epoxy instant mix

We have an air mattress with a leak somewhere. Where do we get repair kits? I have already used the one that was included when we purchased it.

By Judy

Best Answer

Try using a bike tire patch. You can get those for around $2-5 at almost any bike shop locally.

I have a bump in the air bed where a seam has parted, is there a way of fixing the bump without putting a hole in it? The air bed does not leak.

Answers

That can be a sign that it will start to unravel if it's not handled delicately. You can prevent it from bursting by using a vinyl repair kit. You can find one in the camping section of a sports retail store.

This happened to me a lot when I slept on an air bed as my main bed. The large bump would pop up near one of the inner circles or designs. Unfortunately I never found anyway to fix it. Generally more seams would pop until it was pretty much unusable. Sorry.

There is an answer right on this website. You use Gorilla Glue,

pieces of an old t shirt and a blow dryer.

Hope I helped someone, good luck!

Anonymous

I would try to repair where the seam opened up with some vinyl glue

is this for repairing a hole or seam? I am looking at repairing seam

My air mattress is leaking air, but I can't find a hole anywhere! I think it may be the built-in pump. I can hear a hard piece sliding around inside my air bed, and thinking maybe the pump broke off inside? My mattress will fill up and hold air, but it leaks rapidly. I have to add air every hour to keep from sinking to the floor by morning.

Has anyone had this issue or know how to fix it? Please advise!

By Nicole

I have the very same issue. My airbed is fine when I go to sleep. But it deflates and I end up like a hotdog in a bun, with the mattress around me and I'm on the floor.

Anonymous

I have the same issue but I have an airfox mattress. When I plug my mattress the pump won't inflate the bed....

I am using an air mattress for a bed until they can solve a medical issue. I will blow the air mattress up each evening, and in the morning it is softer. I assumed it was a leak. Is this normal that the mattress will lose a little air each day? Any help would be appreciated.

By denny 1 from Grand Junction, CO

Answers:

Repairing an Air Mattress

They can lose air due to stretching, but it should not be a very noticeable amount overnight. Take a spray bottle filled with soapy water. Spray the mattress and wherever it starts to bubble, there is a leak. (08/25/2009)

By medievalmom

Repairing an Air Mattress

Your body heat can cause the mattress to expand, thereby making a larger space for the same amount of air. Try blowing it up in a very warm room, or warming it with a blow dryer before inflating it completely.
We have several because we camp and if the temperature drops overnight, the mattress will "slump" because the air inside it got colder. Unfortunately, even the best name brands will frequently require a little extra air from time to time. Hope your medical condition is resolved soon. Good luck! (08/28/2009)

By dollyslaffn

Repairing an Air Mattress

The only air mattress that I've ever had that didn't leak was an Aerobed. Expensive, but worth it if you're going to be sleeping on it for an extended period of time. Best wishes for your recovery. (08/29/2009)

By Merlene

Repairing an Air Mattress

If you find a hole, a good and inexpensive way to patch the hole is to use a glue gun. I've been using an air mattress due to a bedbug problem and I discovered two holes today (which explained why I ended up on the floor in the morning even though I inflated the bed before I went to sleep). I aimed the glue gun toward where the holes were and filled it in. Let the glue cool slightly and press it down to stop any bubbling that may occur as the air escapes. When the glue stops bubbling, this should be a good indicator that the leak has stopped. (08/31/2009)

By jamiebear

Top Comment

This is normal....the vinyl "relaxes " or stretches to accommodate the body weight. I just kept filling mine a little until one morning in stopped relaxing. However, you may also want to check an make sure the intake valve is screw tightly shut and the plug is inserted.

I have an Aero mattress and had a hole in it. I had a bicycle patch on it and it seemed to work, but now my mattress seems to have a slow leak. I tried the soapy water in my spray bottle, but didn't see any bubbles. I can still see the slit under the plastic patch. Should the slit be closed, do you think this is the problem? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

By Myrtle

I have an air mattress with a hole and am trying to use vinyl cement to fix, well patch the hole. The cement I have is not in it's package so I had to use the this other glue, but it doesn't work. How can I fix it with the vinyl cement I've got? The floor is not cool to sleep on.

By Cheyenne from Lafayette, LA

Answers:

Repairing an Air Mattress

In my experience, it sort of depends on where the leak is. If you have a pin hole size leak, find a piece of plastic like the bed, smear some goop brand glue on it and put it on the hole. Set a weight on it and let it sit overnight. Obviously you need to remove the air first!

If the hole is along a seam, you can try the same method but use a larger piece of plastic, perhaps 2 or 3 inches in a round shape. Square edges have a habit of coming loose on the corners.

All in all, the best way is to not get holes in them in the first place (grin). For camping, I always put a ground cloth down before placing my air mattress on it. (09/05/2010)

By duanedv

Repairing an Air Mattress

If you know where the hole/leak is you can use an inflatable boat patch kit found at sporting stores or in the sporting aisles of stores like Wal-Mart. (09/07/2010)

By Deeli

Repairing an Air Mattress

To me finding the hole is much more difficult than fixing it. Soap water is recommended, but liquid soap doesn't always do well with finding the tiny leaks. The best "soap" I have found for this is the stuff made for kids to blow bubbles. It has glycerin in it, which helps to form a strong bubble. This is similar to what professionals use to find leaks in air conditioners.

Mix the bubble solution into a spray bottle with water, 50/50, and gently spray the inflated mattress paying close attention to seams. Do this in small sections and be patient. Circle any leaks you find with a marker and continue until you have gone over the entire mattress. Deflate the mattress, remove the soap residue and clean around the hole with rubbing alcohol. To repair the hole I personally like to use Goop. You can find it at most large retail stores. Just apply Goop directly over the hole and rub it in. Allow to cure overnight.

(09/18/2010)

By astranine

I have a fairly cheap air mattress. The one I have has a leaking valve, the large plastic outlet valve. The valve cover turns and instead of locking, keeps turning and the air escapes from this loose fitting. Any ideas on how to repair it such that the outlet valve will still function? Thanks for your help.

Geschusa

By geschusa from RI

Answers:

Repairing an Air Mattress

Hi, I had the same problem. I blew the mattress up so I could 'feel' where the air was escaping and used Power Grip I think it was called. It wasn't caulk per se, but in the same kind of container. It was a liquid nail. Had to do it twice but finally got it where it doesn't leak anymore. My granddaughters use it quite often with no problems. Good Luck.
(07/17/2009)

By Hiswitnessishere

How can I find a leak in an air mattress?

How do I repair a leak in a Coleman air mattress?

Does anyone know how to patch a full size inflatable bed mattress successfully?