Selling Antique Furniture

When you are selling vintage pieces of furniture you will want to get the best price for it. This guide is about selling antique furniture.

September 26, 2016 Flag

I have some antique Stickley dining room furniture for sale and am wondering how to go about selling it. I have it listed in Craiglist and even eBay without success. I have also tried to call several local antique dealers, but without interest. It's a nice set, but not very large.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

None of the antique stores offered consignment? I think that's the way I would go if they aren't moving on eBay or Craigslist. They look nice, I would think you could find and antique furniture store that would be happy to try to sell those on consignment. You might ultimately get more selling them directly to someone but that's only if the right person materializes who values them.

Not one of the antique stores offered consignment. I just googled antiques in Indianapolis area. I talked to about six different places and a few outside of Indy. Can you make any suggestions on places I could contact. I also recently contacted Antique Advisors, but haven't heard back from them yet. Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm totally willing to do consignment if it get things moving along. Thank you.

October 4, 2013 Flag

I have an old bedroom set that belonged to my grandpa; its a hundred years old this year. It is in great condition. How would I find someone to buy it?

By Stacey from Phoenix, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should try local antique shops first.

On a cautionary note - it would not be wise to leave this set in a regular garage for a long period of time.

You could always try "Craigslist" and put it under "antiques". The advertising is free. It is a gorgeous set! Antique dealers have to make money on what they sell so you would be taking a loss on it if you sold it to an antique dealer, I would think.

Make sure to look up the name of the brand of bed. If you're in luck, there will be posts about them. And get a couple quotes, take pictures with you of different angles. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

October 23, 2014 Flag

I own a RCA Victor record player/stereo. The speakers go up top with speaker covers, not included, (where the DVDs are stored). The record player goes in middle drawer (not included). 2 other drawers pull out as well. It is very heavy. It has the RCA Victor logo. How much is this particular piece worth?

By Tina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

1961 RCA Victor Danish modern cabinet

February 19, 2015 Flag

Would anyone be able to tell me the estimated value of a Roycroft bookcase made to hold the volumes of "Little Journey" books?

By Sue C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A quick search for "Roycroft book case value" produced several offerings of about $250 to $600 each-depending upon age and condition.

December 12, 2014 Flag

We have an older bedroom set of curley maple furniture. It is in pretty good shape. I was wondering how to even begin with selling it. What would a good price be without really taking a hit?

By Jenise B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Maybe there is an antique dealer near by that would appraise it for you but I would be careful and get more than one opinion.

Take some good photographs and show them to some of the antique dealers or you may want to use an auction house if there is one near by.

April 14, 2014 Flag

I have a 1700s antique Chinese rice bed all hand carved rose wood in good condition. I need to know some history on it and I can't seem to find anything about it. Help. I know it's really rare.

By Mike from Merced, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You will likely need to find an antique dealer, or at the very least find an auction house that deals with asian antiques. Beautiful piece.

May 22, 2013 Flag

Is there a site I can post the pictures of my antique furniture to be sold?

By Derrick

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Craigslist is available for local sales. You can list on eBay and specify that it is for local pickup only, unless you have the resources to ship it and the buyer wants to pay to ship it.

May 22, 2013 Flag

I have a dining room set made in Philadelphia in 1927. It includes a buffet, hutch, table, and 6 chairs. It does need refinishing. The table was refinished. I am wondering how much I could ask for it?

By Urszula from Brampton, Ontario, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I suggest you search the Craigslist.ca for the city nearest you in the furniture section and see what other people are asking for similar things. Since it needs refinishing your potential market will be smaller since not everyone wants to do the refinishing.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/bra/fua/

August 9, 2010 Flag

How do I have an antique cabinet appraised before selling the item?

By Niecy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, appraisers charge to come and look at anything, and contrary to the television antique shows, the whole thing with antiques is perfect buyer at the perfect time; how likely is that where you live?

I worked in an antique shop for some years, and this is what I would suggest for starters. Take some well lit pictures of your piece. If you have some information about it, take your pictures and start at your library and find some pictures/information and check out at least one or two books. Then start visiting some nice antique stores in your area, and bring both your picture and the book. Talk to people at the store who seem to know something [sometimes the person there doesn't know furniture as well as say glass collectibles]. Look for something similar in the stores, write down what they call theirs, and the prices. Look on line for furniture that is called what you have finally

identified as the name for yours. Like early 19th century quarter sawn oak sideboard [oak cut a certain way]. Ask the advice for pricing from each and every store. It's possible one of the stores will be interested.

Our store did very well pre 9/11, but the years afterward were a huge fall off. Other dealers who shopped our store told the same story. Not sure why. But if you live in an area known for antiques, you may have an advantage.Ask in the stores you check out how antiques are doing. It will make you realistic about a fair but not high offer from any buyer, that you might otherwise turn down.

Also some stores will let you put in your piece on consignment for a percentage. I would try selling it on your own first. In your home, you are competing with nothing. In a store you are competing with all of their similar items, even though you do get exposure.

But you can post on the nearest Craigslist with a picture.

July 16, 2010 Flag

I have two antique matching window chairs, one is a rocker and other is a chair. They have never been refinished. They have the extra spindles. I am planning on putting them in a fundraiser yard sale. Are they to valuable to put in a yard sale? Please help.

By Margaret from Nova Scotia, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Probably, People don't look for things of value to pay any value at a yard sale. They want stuff for next to nothing. Your best bet would be an auction if you know anyone having an auction and they don't mind if you add your chairs. A local newspaper ad. Craigs List on the internet. Or maybe a second had shop that does sales with commission.

May 12, 2009 Flag

I have some antique furniture that I would like to sell at the right price. I do not want to be ripped off. How do I do this?

By anner893 from Flintshire

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could sell them on www.craigslist.com or put them in a consignment shop. At CraigsList, you can place ads and pictures of the items for free and people in your area will reply to the ads.

November 14, 2005 Flag

How do I research and sell my antique furniture. Post your advice here.

Editor's Note: Please do not post ads for buying or selling specific furniture here or for getting price quotes. This is an informational resource only.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a very old bedroom suiet. How do i find information on who made this and how much its worth?

May 12, 2009 Flag

I would like to know how to go about selling 65 year old living room, dining room, and bedroom furniture. It is in excellent, like new condition. It is my mother's furniture, she will be going into a nursing home very soon. I don't want to get ripped off. Thank you.

By Elyag from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Selling Antique Furniture

I see lots of antiques on Craig's List but that seems like a good way to get robbed to me. You could put them in a consignment shop and they could deal with the hassle. (05/08/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Selling Antique Furniture

I would start by looking all over the furniture to see if there are any labels or makers names. If there are, do a search to see if that will help you find out. If not, then just search on ebay for something as close to what you already have, and see how much they are charging for it. That will give you a little idea. I know that there are many reputable dealers and appraisers, but everyone hears about someone saying, "this is worth this much, let me buy it from you", then selling it for a lot more. And sometimes too, our cherished family furniture is not worth as much in money as it is in sentiment. (05/09/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 29, 2008 Flag

How do I sell my antique furniture? Post your advice here.

Answers:

Selling Antique Furniture

Don't you have a local newspaper? (08/14/2007)

By LITTLE SUZY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 7, 2006 Flag

I have a Drexel Heritage Dining Suite from the late 1940s. I really like having it because it was my parents. The problem is, I need money. I think that if I sell it I would be able to pay off a couple bills.

Where do i sell it? An antique dealer or consignment shop or research as much as I can and put ad in newspaper? I have been online till I am blue in the face. I can't figure out about how much it should be worth. Plus, it is full of stuff. I don't really want to get rid of the china that is in it.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sandy

Answers:

Selling Antique Furniture

Selling at a consignment shop. Beware!

I once sold some items at a (or so I thought) reputable shop. They went through a few bookkeepers during my furniture's term in their showroom and then donated everything because I failed to claim it within the time frame.

I actually called weekly, but was always told by the bookkeeper of the month that it was still on the showroom floor and not to pick it up yet. I misplaced the contract which didn't help.

After reading an ad by that store with rules for dropping off items I figured mine had been there too long and called yet once more. This time I was determined to speak with the owner. She basically denied my having consigned anything there. I insisted and somewhat described the items to be the best of my recollection. It was obvious she had no intention of paying me anything.
When I said 6 goblets, she immediately corrected me and said there were 4 goblets! Turns out she had my contract in front of her the whole time and had no intention of paying nor returning the items, because I no longer had the contract even though her own bookkeepers had caused the errors in bookkeeping.

She readily admitted the procession of bookkeepers had caused a lot of problems with other consignments. She gave me a hard time, I didn't back down. She finally agreed that I'd dropped off some items and informed me then were donated, then realized one was sold at a rock bottom price. At this point I didn't believe anything she said.

She paid me precious little for the antique chair ($25.00 for something I'd paid about $300 on sale the year before). I couldn't do anything about it because I misplaced the contract and it was a time after the end date.

The moral of this story is: don't lose the contract, don't trust anyone and periodically visit the merchandise to see if it REALLY went for a clearance price. This particular furniture and antique sale store was located in a nice town. It seemed like a straightforward place doing business. Boy, was I ever fooled.
(07/14/2005)

By cookwie

Selling Antique Furniture

I work for an antique auction business and when people call in wanting to know how much something is worth our advice is to go to ebay.com and find the nearest thing to what you've got, look in completed as well as present sales.

But even once you know, it's finding the right person that wants that particular item at that price. (07/14/2005)

By Beverly

Selling Antique Furniture

I have considered doing the same thing with my dear grandmothers antique bedroom set. After reading this I think everyone is right. If you don't really want to then don't sell it unless you really have an emergency. Can you borrow from a family member? (08/01/2005)

By Jamie

Selling Antique Furniture

I'm in a similar position, I have some antique furniture (inherited through my mum's boyfriend's family so no emotional attachment) and I've just lost my job and I'm trying to start my own business but I need some money to do this...the problem for me is that I know nothing about antiques (we thing some of the stuff is Chippendale) and I don't want to get ripped off...is it worth paying for a proper valuation, I can't find anything similar on Ebay or elsewhere online but I'm determined not to be ripped off... (08/06/2005)

By George

Selling Antique Furniture

We own an antiques shop. Here is our perspective. We might sell an item for $3000. However, it is not worth our while to buy it for more than 1/4 that amount ($750). We have to pay for rent, employees, electricity, etc. You are better off selling it yourself on eBay or through the newspaper. You will not get the same amount you see in the antique stores. Without seeing your furniture, I would estimate at most we would give you $1500 for it.

Your best bet is to get yourself in better financial situation permanently. Watch Suze Orman. Take Crown Financial Ministries (crown.org) Check out beehive.org or bankrate.com. If you have this problem now, you will have it in the future - forever unless you decide to make permanent changes. I know you can do it! The world is waiting for you! Good luck!!
(09/02/2005)

By Sally

Selling Antique Furniture

I am at a cross-roads myself, about whether "things" are so important, or would cash to pay the bills be better? Well, I will ALWAYS have bills of some kind or another, but how often in my life will I have a family heirloom? Would it be possible to sell it to someone in your own family, so that it will still be in your family; and maybe some day you could buy it back from them when you are through this financial crisis. (12/23/2005)

By Paula

Selling Antique Furniture

Believe me, this is the start of a vicious cycle. My DH and I first starting out, have had some really good cars, and other big ticket things like bicycles, that he decided we needed the money, and sold them, later only to buy them when we HAD money, then sold them later on because of the same issue, or we were moving. Bottom line, look to the future. If you can use it, SAVE IT! You'll only end up spending money to replace it. Being a family heirloom, I couldn't even see putting a price on it, you'll never get it's true worth. Better to get it insured for the proper appraisal! If you can, work part-time, get a paper route ANYTHING other than sell off your valuables. Your bills can always be paid off over time, but you won't be able to replace that, or be spending twice/three times what you got. (03/14/2006)

By camo_angels

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Budget & Finance AdviceOctober 16, 2013
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Antique Chair
Repairing Antique Upholstered Furniture
A table filled with antique nicknacks.
Starting an Antique Business
Antique Table
Finding the Value for Your Antique Furniture
🎉
🎄