Browsing: Selling Antique Furniture

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Selling Antique Furniture

When you are selling vintage pieces of furniture you will want to get the best price for it. This guide is about selling antique furniture.

A nice looking antique chair.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 26, 2016 Flag

I have some antique Stickley dining room furniture for sale and am wondering how to go about selling it. I have it listed in Craiglist and even eBay without success. I have also tried to call several local antique dealers, but without interest. It's a nice set, but not very large.

Stickily side tableSelling Antique Stickely FurnitureSelling Antique Stickely Furniture
Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 23, 2014 Flag

view of frontI own a RCA Victor record player/stereo. The speakers go up top with speaker covers, not included, (where the DVDs are stored). The record player goes in middle drawer (not included). 2 other drawers pull out as well. It is very heavy. It has the RCA Victor logo. How much is this particular piece worth? open cabinet open drawer logo

By Tina

1961 RCA Victor Danish modern cabinet

October 4, 2013 Flag

Antique dresser, head and footboard.I have an old bedroom set that belonged to my grandpa; its a hundred years old this year. It is in great condition. How would I find someone to buy it?

By Stacey from Phoenix, AZ

You should try local antique shops first.

On a cautionary note - it would not be wise to leave this set in a regular garage for a long period of time.

You could always try "Craigslist" and put it under "antiques". The advertising is free. It is a gorgeous set! Antique dealers have to make money on what they sell so you would be taking a loss on it if you sold it to an antique dealer, I would think.

Make sure to look up the name of the brand of bed. If you're in luck, there will be posts about them. And get a couple quotes, take pictures with you of different angles. Good luck!

February 19, 2015 Flag

medium wood bookcaseWould anyone be able to tell me the estimated value of a Roycroft bookcase made to hold the volumes of "Little Journey" books?

By Sue C.

A quick search for "Roycroft book case value" produced several offerings of about $250 to $600 each-depending upon age and condition.

December 12, 2014 Flag

We have an older bedroom set of curley maple furniture. It is in pretty good shape. I was wondering how to even begin with selling it. What would a good price be without really taking a hit?

By Jenise B.

Maybe there is an antique dealer near by that would appraise it for you but I would be careful and get more than one opinion.

Take some good photographs and show them to some of the antique dealers or you may want to use an auction house if there is one near by.

April 14, 2014 Flag

I have a 1700s antique Chinese rice bed all hand carved rose wood in good condition. I need to know some history on it and I can't seem to find anything about it. Help. I know it's really rare. View from the side. View of foot end. Headboard. Decorative side panel.

By Mike from Merced, CA

You will likely need to find an antique dealer, or at the very least find an auction house that deals with asian antiques. Beautiful piece.

May 22, 2013 Flag

Is there a site I can post the pictures of my antique furniture to be sold?

By Derrick

Craigslist is available for local sales. You can list on eBay and specify that it is for local pickup only, unless you have the resources to ship it and the buyer wants to pay to ship it.

May 22, 2013 Flag

I have a dining room set made in Philadelphia in 1927. It includes a buffet, hutch, table, and 6 chairs. It does need refinishing. The table was refinished. I am wondering how much I could ask for it?

By Urszula from Brampton, Ontario, Canada

I suggest you search the Craigslist.ca for the city nearest you in the furniture section and see what other people are asking for similar things. Since it needs refinishing your potential market will be smaller since not everyone wants to do the refinishing.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/bra/fua/

August 9, 2010 Flag

How do I have an antique cabinet appraised before selling the item?

By Niecy

Well, appraisers charge to come and look at anything, and contrary to the television antique shows, the whole thing with antiques is perfect buyer at the perfect time; how likely is that where you live?

I worked in an antique shop for some years, and this is what I would suggest for starters. Take some well lit pictures of your piece. If you have some information about it, take your pictures and start at your library and find some pictures/information and check out at least one or two books. Then start visiting some nice antique stores in your area, and bring both your picture and the book. Talk to people at the store who seem to know something [sometimes the person there doesn't know furniture as well as say glass collectibles]. Look for something similar in the stores, write down what they call theirs, and the prices. Look on line for furniture that is called what you have finally

identified as the name for yours. Like early 19th century quarter sawn oak sideboard [oak cut a certain way]. Ask the advice for pricing from each and every store. It's possible one of the stores will be interested.

Our store did very well pre 9/11, but the years afterward were a huge fall off. Other dealers who shopped our store told the same story. Not sure why. But if you live in an area known for antiques, you may have an advantage.Ask in the stores you check out how antiques are doing. It will make you realistic about a fair but not high offer from any buyer, that you might otherwise turn down.

Also some stores will let you put in your piece on consignment for a percentage. I would try selling it on your own first. In your home, you are competing with nothing. In a store you are competing with all of their similar items, even though you do get exposure.

But you can post on the nearest Craigslist with a picture.

July 16, 2010 Flag

I have two antique matching window chairs, one is a rocker and other is a chair. They have never been refinished. They have the extra spindles. I am planning on putting them in a fundraiser yard sale. Are they to valuable to put in a yard sale? Please help.

Load More
Budget & Finance AdviceOctober 16, 2013
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Antique Chair
Repairing Antique Upholstered Furniture
A table filled with antique nicknacks.
Starting an Antique Business
Antique Table
Finding the Value for Your Antique Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 11:31:44 PM on 10.0.2.146 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.