Treating a Rash on Feet

Category Home Remedies
Knowing what is causing the irritation can help you treat the problem. This guide is about treating a rash on feet.

I have a red rash on top of my foot that is made up of 4 lines approximately 1 cm in width that turn circular to my toes.
My dermatologist has never seen anything like it. Does anyone know what it could be?

By Pat from RI

Best Answer

Hi folks, Enough said above. Here is what you need to do.

1. Go to a dermatologist.

2. Before you make an appointment, find out if the dermatologist treats feet with rash, fungus or what ever problem you are having with your feet. Not all dermatologists are specialized in the same field.

3. When you get there, pay attention. Before any treatment is prescribed, the dermatologist should take a sample of your skin and send it to a lab for testing to diagnose the correct infection. If that is not being done, tell the dermatologist politely to have a sample of the infected area sent to a lab for testing. The reason why this is important. They are several types of feet infections that look the same and all the cures are different.

Best Answer

I have this problem also. Last summer I had a rash on one of my feet for most of the summer. Then this spring as soon as I started wearing flip-flops and flats it flared up. The rash is red, very itchy at times and almost blistered. I used a high strength hydrocortisone, but it didn't seem to do much.

My doctor and I finally figured out (I hope!) that it's actually photosensitivity (a reaction to the sun). She thought I might have had a sunburn on that foot at one time. I also take high blood pressure medication (a diuretic) that can cause photosensitivity. I've been wearing socks or sunscreen for a few days now and it's improving a lot.

Best Answer

I had a red itchy rash only on the tops of both feet for 6 months. Nothing I tried worked to stop the itch. I finally went to a dermatologist and he diagnosed it as an allergic reaction to the leather straps of my very expensive sandals. I own another pair that I wore all last year with no problems, but the newer pair apparently has something different in the leather. I stopped wearing the shoes, took an antihistamine for the itch and applied a prescription cream. After one week the rash is totally gone. I will try wearing socks the the guilty shoes to see if that will work. They are just too expensive to give away.

Last summer a similar thing happened to me. I wore a pair of sandals I had worn numerous times for the last couple of years. One day after work, as I was getting into my car, both of the top of my feet, under the straps, started itching really bad. I couldn't stop scratching! I thought maybe some type of powder or plant had caused an allergic reaction. This lasted for 2 months. It got red, inflamed, gray and scaly, and was very itchy. I thought that maybe it was a type of poison ivy.

I used an eczema cream, a triple antibiotic, nothing. I used an anti-fungal cream, nothing. I finally used an allergy ointment and it went away. I never used those sandals again. Now, after the long winter, I began using sandals again and a brand new pair has now caused the same reaction. Weird! I'm thinking it is an allergic reaction to the adhesive on the straps. This is very weird. And the "rash" is in a line just as the strap on the sandals touched my skin.

I have persistent and very itchy rash on the top of both feet. This may be called a friction sore if it oozes and is aggravated by wearing shoes.

This started as a tiny insect-like bite on the top of my right foot a year ago. It itched like crazy and when I scratched it the sore increased to the size of 50c. I got some relief with triamcinolone acetonide cream .01% prescribed by a podiatrist, but didn't completely heal the sore.

After a few months the sore "magically" appeared on the top of my left foot, where it has been for over a year now. A dermatologist prescribed flucoinonide cream .05% and it seemed to clear up after a few days, but never healed completely.

Ethyl alcohol in hand sanitizer products will control the itching temporarily. I try not to scratch as this usually results in oozing and makes wearing shoes difficult.

I am still searching for the magical product that will completely heal these sores.

By Chagrined from Chagrin Falls, OH

Best Answer

I have the same thing but it is on both index fingers, itches like crazy! I thought it was a food allergy because my friend had it every time she ate acidic foods.

Benadryl or another antihistamine should help; I am allergic to them so I use Calamine lotion. It might help some but not a lot. Also keep them very clean and dry, maybe use a little antifungal powder, but not the cream as that makes it itch more. Drinking a lot of water also seems to help, and yes the sun makes it much worse. Good luck.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I used to have that kind of a rash. It's a foot fungus. It happened because I wasn't changing socks every day and changing which shoes I wore each day. Use Tinactin, the important ingredient is tolnaftate.

Best Answer

I had a mysterious itchy rash on my lower legs (not my feet). Used chilled Bragg organic apple cider vinegar 3 or 4 x a day for about 4 days & it helped. Told a friend who had the same problem & it worked for her also. I think any brand apple cider vinegar would do the same. Hope it works for you.

Best Answer

If any of these suggestions don't work for you I have one more thing you might want to try. My sister swears by it. That is Preparation H cream rub it on at night and put on a pair of white socks. Try it for a few days and see if it helps. I hope you find a cure soon. I had a rash years ago on the heel of my hand and tried everything I could get my hands on. It felt like the bone was even itching. It finally went away when I moved from the house I lived in. It had to be something there. Good luck.

I have this itchy rash on the top of my foot. It looks like tiny bumps and it itches a lot. It came up overnight, can anyone tell me what this could be?

By Daisy A.

Best Answer

Be sure to wear all cotton socks and use Bag Balm on it. My husband had this problem and the all cotton socks and Bag Balm worked.

Best Answer

Have you been wearing sandals with metal against the foot (from holding on a flower, beads, or any other design feature). It may be a metal allergy. I am allergic to metals and cannot wear many sandals because of this problem.

I am not a doctor but it sounds like Athlete's Foot. Try some of the over the counter creams. If it is you will notice it clear up quickly.

It looks like hives (urticaria). It comes mostly when you have eaten something your body does not "accept". Have you eaten something unusual? It can be as well a reaction to a certain medication. As it is a reaction to something, and you will have to find out what in order to avoid it, this is the only way to stop the hives.

Creams and other stuff will only "cover" the problem which can get worse and become an allergic reaction (Asthma, Quincke's Oedema).

I have had this rash on the top of my foot for about two weeks. I have been on antibiotics for a week. It is getting larger and spreading up the ankle.
Anybody got any ideas?

Doctor???

Dermatologist would be a good start. And trying to remember what caused the rash - touching something, eating something, a specific piece of clothing or shoe. Washing with soap and water 2-3 x /day. If not caused by poison ivy or poison oak, perhaps trying Vic's Vapo rub on the rash. The menthol will kill off most bacteria, viruses, and many fungal infections; the vaseline like paste will help to suffocate a pathogen. If that is not available, perhaps oil of Oregano - just a drop or two rubbed over the area.

I have a red rash on my foot. At first I thought it was athlete's foot. After three weeks of treatment with Lotrimin there is no improvement. In fact it seems to be spreading. It burns, but does not itch. The skin varies in color from red dots to red flaking skin to red dots on smooth skin. What might this be and how do I get rid of it? Thanks

By MB

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You don't say where you live... so if in Canada, with free health insurance: go see your doctor. If elsewhere with expensive health care: ask your pharmacist. If you don't want to show him/her your foot, take a picture of the rash and ask them for their opinion of what it might be and what you should do to get rid of it. Could be poison ivy (which I have on my hands right now). Sounds like my rash.

I had a red rash on one foot for quite a while. Nothing helped. Finally I decided it was the socks I was wearing. I started to soak my foot in salt water everyday, & within a few days the rash disappeared.

I have a severe rash all over my feet; it itches so badly I take the skin right off my feet. It's both on the top and bottom. I thought athletes foot was just on the bottoms of feet and between toes, so I'm wondering what it might be.

By Renzo

Anonymous

Perhaps it's time to go to a doctor to make sure it's not a sign of a serious health problem!

Go to a doctor. This is not the sort of thing you solve by asking people on the net.

Athletes foot is fungal, so it is systemic and could easily spread. Have you tried soaking your feet in epsom salts or a vinegar-water solution, neither would hurt and they might alleviate the itch. I'd use tea tree oil on them also--as it will take care of fungal issues and can help heal just about anything. Are you by any chance allergic to something your feet have come into contact with, walked through poison ivy, gone to a locker room without flip-flops, worn socks/shoes with a different product make-up, changed detergents, etc? I one time threw an entire mango into my morning smoothie (I have a high speed blender), not realizing that mangos are in the poison ivy family and you shouldn't eat the skin. I broke out in a horrible rash and itched so bad--nothing would releive it. It lasted for weeks. After an internet search I realized what I did, but for over 2 years, I could not eat a bite of mango without breaking out in the rash again. This can be so frustrating.

I have a red rash on the tops of my feet and shins. It began on one foot
then it migrated to the other. It does not itch nor is it scaly. It does
not hurt either. It is also on the back on my heel. Any ideas? Thanks.

I get a rash when I wear non-cotton socks. My ankles get very dry, crusty and even bleed. The only cure for me is all cotton socks or sock-less. One foot is worse than the other. I've tried cortisone creams, calamine lotion, nothing works too well.

Anonymous

Since it is spreading on your body it's time to see a doctor! There could be underlying health issues causing the rash!

I got an infection from a pedicure. I went to the doctor and he had no idea what it was. In fact, he said it wasn't from the pedicure since it was only on my legs and not my feet. I'd recently shaved my legs. I researched online and someone told me to try the medication used for jock itch. This is no joke; the rash was gone in a couple of days. Not saying don't go to the doctor, but they don't always know the answer.

I would go to see a podiatrist.

Could anyone help me identify this rash, please? It started on my shin and migrated to my foot. It doesn't hurt or burn, but itches sometimes. I have put anti-fungal med on it but it doesn't appear to respond.

By B. from NY, NY

You should probably consult a doctor, being the anti-fungal cream doesn't help.

My name is Vannesa and I'm new. This is a great site. I have had a problem with my feet for a few months now and I need help, I get bad itchy skin on the tops of my feet. After I scratch the the itch it gets worse until I break the skin and bleed. Only then the itch stops for a few days then returns. I get this all the time on both feet, but only on the top, there are now lumps, rashes or spots there and no itching between the toes. Does anyone else have this problem? Or is there a fix?

Answers:

Rash on Top of Feet

I hope you all have better luck than I've had with this. There seem to be several things that can cause a rash like this. I had a severely itchy rash on top of my feet and around my ankles for almost 2 years, during which time 4 different doctors told me I had athletes foot. Wrong. Anti-fungals made it worse. Cortisones did absolutely nothing. Hot water made it worse. Tea tree oil did not help either. Antihistamines did not do anything. My feet got worse and worse, swelling to huge proportions and oozing like crazy.

Not one doctor could ever tell me how the rash started, but finally one doctor took a culture (after the rash had spread all the way up to my face) and it showed a massive staph infection. Please be careful that this does not happen to you.

My feet cleared up after a couple of courses of antibiotics, and ever since that I have been extra careful, wearing wicking socks, disinfecting my shoes, and washing my feet in cold (brrr) water. When I feel the least tingle I apply a benadryl-based cream alternately with Bacitracin ointment, and that has kept my feet pristine until just last night. Now the itchy rash has re-appeared around my ankles in spite of my best efforts.

One quick tip for the intense itching, I found that a spritz or two of sore-throat numbing spray works wonders. (06/29/2009)

By Mary in Montgomery

Rash on Top of Feet

Hi Vannesa, You described perfectly a problem I have been having for a year now. The itching comes on suddenly and it's intense. You scratch until you bleed and create a wound. The next day you can't put on your shoe because the wound you created is so painful. The wound you created is slow to heal.

There are a few things I've noticed about this. If you don't scratch the itch then it disappears in a few minutes. Once you scratch though it rapidly gets out of control and spreads on the top of the foot very quickly. It's like scratching spreads it and it tries to take over your whole foot so don't even scratch it once. The second thing I've noticed is that it always occurs when my feet are very hot from wearing my shoes a long time. This leaves me to believe it is some type of fungus other than athlete's foot. I would simply recommend removing your shoes whenever and wherever they aren't necessary. (08/18/2009)

By Rebootit

Rash on Top of Feet

I think you should know that this is caused by Staphylococcus bacteria. This usually happens as a result of skin becoming open or blistered due to scratching eg., from a sweat rash. This is why it affects the tops of the toes.

It is not fungal, it needs treatment with antibiotics or antibiotic cream. Ointments can sometimes makes the problem worse as they block the sweat glands. The best way to be sure it to get a biopsy. Insist on one and tell the doctor that this is not athletes foot. This should not be going on for months and years. Staphylococcus lives on everyone's skin. Those of us prone to sweat rash or who live in hot countries then scratch our skin when it itches giving the bacteria a chance to get inside. They then multiply due to the conditions being hot and moist. This can then spread to back of hands, elbows, and other areas of thin skin.

It also explains why the rash seems to "travel" along toes and down the sides of the foot or along the hands. Tea tree oil works because it is naturally antibacterial whereas the hydrocortisones and antihistamines do nothing to actually get rid of the bacteria. It sometimes goes away on its own. Washing with antibacterial soap should help. Please take my advice on this issue. (08/31/2009)

By caraheller

Rash on Top of Feet

This is likely caused by an outside insect called chiggers. Walking outside they get on your feet. Rubbing alcohol 70% takes away itch. (09/01/2009)

By jordanmacg

Rash on Top of Feet

My boyfriend has had this exact problem for the last 4 months. I finally convinced him to go to the dermatologist and found out he has strep in his blood. They said it was very serious and said it was a good thing he came in when he did, and should have come in sooner. They also did a biopsy, gave him a steroid injection, steroid cream, an oral steroid plus an antibiotic, anti fungal cream, and an oral anti fungal pill. I suggest you go see your doctor. (10/30/2009)

By Campbellsar88

Rash on Top of Feet

I have recurring foot rash, but only on the top of my left foot. I found if I soak my feet in very warm antiseptic mouthwash it relieves it. Listerine or the generic equivalent usually does it. It always comes back once I stop. Obviously I am looking for a permanent solution. (12/22/2009)

By arnie962

Rash on Top of Feet

I suffered from pretty much the exact same symptoms back when I was around 12 or 13 and got it treated somehow which I don't remember now, and then it came back about 6 months ago. I am now in my 20s. It was severely itchy on the tops of my feet and near my ankles too, with little bumps and things. I would scratch until it would bleed, and nothing I put on it seemed to work, it sometimes actually worsened the symptoms.

I saw quite a few doctors who just prescribed oral and topical steroids that did nothing, then one doctor told me to just soak them in cool water, which worked better than anything. Long story short, it turns out that a pair of shoes I had bought that were made out of leather were the culprit. Apparently it is eczema that I have, and there is a chemical used when making leather that can trigger and worsen eczema. Also, do not use Lanacane or anything with lanolin in it because it also can worsen symptoms and make it swell. Sun exposure is also very bad.

So, if anyone is experiencing intense itching on the top of your feet. Stop wearing leather shoes and soak your feet in cool water until it subsides. Once it is gone just be sure to keep the area hydrated with an emollient lotion. I hope this helps somebody. (01/06/2010)

By AmberRoseShops

Hi There! My name is Vannesa and I'm new! This is a great site. I have had a problem with my feet for a few months now and I need help, I get bad itchy skin on the tops of my feet, after I scratch the the itch it gets worse until I break the skin and bleed, Only then the itch stops for a few days then returns.