Share a SolutionAsk a Question

What Breed is My Dog?

It can be difficult to determine a dog's breed without a DNA test. This is guide about "What breed is my dog?".

September 15, 2015 Flag

With so many people asking "What breed is my dog?" on here I thought I'd share a cute, quick answer that anyone can use, any time someone asks what breeds are in your mutt, or "what kind of dog is that?"

We had a dog that was a Boxer Shepherd mix (at least near as we could tell). We didn't care what was in the dog, but people were always asking, so we decided when anyone would ask we would answer "Oh, she's a Standard American Browndog." You say it with a completely straight face, followed by a little smile and a wink if you wish. It lets people know that you: a)don't know and b)don't care---she's your baby and you love her as much as any pedigreed purebred.

For different shapes, sizes, and colors of dogs you just adjust it a little. You could say "he's a Miniature Dutch Parti-Colour", or "she's a Petite Noir Pees-a-Lot", or "He's a Tri-Color Tailwagger". Just make up something and go with it.

When you do this people get kind-of a blank look on their face for a minute, and then they (almost always) get it. It's usually a good conversation starter too.

The photo is our "Standard American Browndog", Princess, howling that she wants to ride on the tractor!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In my opinion, I think your beautiful dog is definitely Yorkshire terrier mix with possibly chihuahua! More Yorkshire terrier than anything. Good luck with the digging it's going to do lol, bless.

March 16, 2017 Flag

We just got Miss Buttercup from the Humane Society about a week ago. There was a litter that was found and dropped off. We are very curious to know her mix and how big she will get? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your best bet for an accurate answer is to do a doggie DNA test, that way you will know the tendencies and potential health issues of its breed or custom blend of breeds. Ask your vet or look online.

March 11, 2017 Flag

It's been like forever since I have been trying to find out my dog's breed. All I know is that her mom is a Golden Retriever. Please help me guess its breed.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The only way to know for sure is to have the vet run a DNA test.

March 15, 2017 Flag

I just recently got my puppy a couple days ago. She is as sweet as can be. I'm just curious, does she look like she is pure Pit or a mix of Lab?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The picture is of boxer puppies.

I see resemblances in the wrinkling around the eyes, the broad chest and in the eyes.

Adorable and lucky puppy. Congrats on your new family member.

March 9, 2017 Flag

My puppy's mother is a German Shepherd, but I don't know about the male. I think he is a cross breed puppy. Can anybody tell me his breed? I am confused because his colour is brown. Is he a German Shepherd or not?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

i think he is a female

February 6, 2017 Flag

We just purchased a new puppy and I was wondering if you could tell me what breed you think she is? They told us she was a Heeler/Golden Retriever cross? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Her tail curls up over her back. She has a really fuzzy coat that is black, but shows red when in the sun. She is currently 10 weeks old and weighs a little over 10 pounds.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She looks a lot like my dog, who we think is a Patterdale Terrier/lab mix. She also has white paws, although you can't see them in the photo.

March 8, 2017 Flag

I got my dog Athena about 4 months ago and when I got her she was 14 weeks. Her previous owner did not take care of her. She was malnurished, mistreated, and had parvo. She's now healthy with a great appetite and a lot of energy, but they told me she was a full bred brindle Pit and based on her size they were wrong. She's currently 21 pounds and I would just like to know what she has in her other than Pit Bull or if there is still a chance that she's actually pure bred.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog expert friend says it's a pit bull.

March 1, 2017 Flag

I just got a dog today. I was told that she is a Lab mix. Now that she's home I think that she looks like a Pit Bull or Pit mix. I have had Pit Bulls all my life so that isn't the problem. The problem is that in the town I live in we aren't allowed to have Pit Bulls. I'm worried that because of the way she looks they will make us get rid of her. What breed do you think she looks like? I'm thinking about doing a DNA test just incase. Thank you very much.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Chocolate lab

October 15, 2011 Flag

My puppy is 5 1/2 months old. I rescued her from a shelter 2 months ago. I have no history on her. The vet at the shelter thought she was a mix of German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois. Her ears are huge but so cool. She is the smartest dog I have ever seen!
Any thoughts? Thanx.

By mama T*

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The vet may be on the right track. Another idea is part Pharaoh hound. http://www.dogd  oh-hound-18.html

February 27, 2017 Flag

This is my new puppy Yui, we found her on the street and took her in. She was underweight, wearing no collar, and has no chip. I just loved her to death!
But I have to ask what breed is she?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It seems you are just curious as to the breed of your new found friend as love shows in your comments and photos.

Here is a site that will sometimes give very good information - all you have to do is upload your photos.

https://www.what-dog.net/#

February 2, 2017 Flag

What breed is my 10 month old male dog; he weighs 76 lbs.?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He appears to have either greyhound or border collie mixed with black lab. The more I look at the pictures the more I see greyhound + black lab mix. He is precious. Is he high energy?

January 9, 2017 Flag

I am trying to identify the specific breeds that are in my new dog. I am just very curious. Any guesses or thoughts would be very appreciated! He is 26 pounds.
Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a cute dog. Some sort terrier mix, I think.

January 10, 2017 Flag

His coat is thick and soft and black, brown, and white.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You have a very cute doggie.

Mixed breed is difficult for amateurs (like me) but I love this site and they have a very good success rate:

https://www.what-dog.net/#

http://www.petm  edia/photoupload

May 26, 2016 Flag

I just got this little guy yesterday and am just curious what kind of dog he is? Will he get very big? Normal questions of what I should expect. I have 2 little dogs and have never owned a big dog. I'm assuming he might get pretty big. This is just me going off of his paw size as he is barely 3 months old. Help with these answers would be very appreciated! Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm curious what you mean because an Australian shepherd and Border collie are not the same. Or am I misinterpreting what you meant??

October 22, 2015 Flag

I found my dog 4 months ago when he was 45 days old in a dumpster trash. He was in bad shape. We took him to the vet and did 2 vaccinations and tommorow he will go for the third, he is good now. The vet says he is a sheep dog mix or Foxhound. I don't know because his mother was a stray dog and she went with all the other dogs maybe. It will be great if you help find what breed he is.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He looks Irish wolfhound ish

January 12, 2017 Flag

We just recently rescued this adorable mutt. We are struggling to identify what she could be mixed with. She is estimated to be about 9-10 weeks old. She was found abandoned on the street so no way to find out what her parents were. She is sweet, but she is a feisty one. haha

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Looks like pit and lab.

Load More
Pets Dogs Dog BreedsNovember 4, 2013
Products
What Breed is My Dog?
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Welsh Terrier
Welsh Terrier Breed Information
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 12:28:31 PM on 10.0.1.147 in 11 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.