What Breed is My Dog?

Category Dog Breeds
It can be difficult to determine a dog's breed without a DNA test. This is guide about "What breed is my dog?".

With so many people asking "What breed is my dog?" on here I thought I'd share a cute, quick answer that anyone can use, any time someone asks what breeds are in your mutt, or "what kind of dog is that?"

We had a dog that was a Boxer Shepherd mix (at least near as we could tell). We didn't care what was in the dog, but people were always asking, so we decided when anyone would ask we would answer "Oh, she's a Standard American Browndog." You say it with a completely straight face, followed by a little smile and a wink if you wish. It lets people know that you: a)don't know and b)don't care---she's your baby and you love her as much as any pedigreed purebred.

For different shapes, sizes, and colors of dogs you just adjust it a little. You could say "he's a Miniature Dutch Parti-Colour", or "she's a Petite Noir Pees-a-Lot", or "He's a Tri-Color Tailwagger". Just make up something and go with it.

When you do this people get kind-of a blank look on their face for a minute, and then they (almost always) get it. It's usually a good conversation starter too.

The photo is our "Standard American Browndog", Princess, howling that she wants to ride on the tractor!

In my opinion, I think your beautiful dog is definitely Yorkshire terrier mix with possibly chihuahua! More Yorkshire terrier than anything. Good luck with the digging it's going to do lol, bless.

I was wondering if she is full blooded Chihuahua as I was told or if she is a Jackchi? She is 10 weeks old.

Looks like a chihuahua doberman mix :) cute

I just got her. They said she was a Pit.

maybe - I hope you did not pay big money thinking you were getting a pit. I hope you will love her no matter what she is. DNA tests are pretty popular now but the cost will run between $65 and $100 or more. Kits can be bought on line (least expensive) or some PetSmart stores run these tests and of course your vet.

you can take a couple of photos when she is a little older and upload them to this site - nothing official but who knows?

https://www.what-dog.net/#

He is only 3 months old. I got him from a rescue.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

some sort of chihuahua dachshund. soooo cute!

Our Black Lab mix Sadie is wonderful. I only see Lab in her, but was told she was a mix. She does have white on her chest, chin, and paws.

She's been mixing with Phillis Diller, darling. She runs with the theatre crowd , I think!

Can anyone figure out his breed? I was told he was a Chihuahua. The first picture is him now and the second one is when he was 4 months.

He is not a purebred chihuahua in my opinion. You could get a DNA test to be sure.

I was told my adopted dog is Shepherd and terrier mix.

It looks like it is. You could do a DNA test to be sure.

My puppy is 5 1/2 months old. I rescued her from a shelter 2 months ago. I have no history on her. The vet at the shelter thought she was a mix of German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois. Her ears are huge but so cool. She is the smartest dog I have ever seen!
Any thoughts? Thanx.

By mama T*

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

The vet may be on the right track. Another idea is part Pharaoh hound. http://www.dogd  oh-hound-18.html

I've had Oreo for going on 8 years now. However, we've never been able to identify her breed. She's incredibly lovable and loves to run and play. She's especially active for her age (although she takes plenty of naps to make up for all her running!). We're pretty sure she's a Jack Russell, but we're not sure what she's mixed with. Thanks in advance!

He looks like a Jack Russell/Shepard/? mix.

We just purchased a new puppy and I was wondering if you could tell me what breed you think she is? They told us she was a Heeler/Golden Retriever cross? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Her tail curls up over her back. She has a really fuzzy coat that is black, but shows red when in the sun. She is currently 10 weeks old and weighs a little over 10 pounds.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

She looks a lot like my dog, who we think is a Patterdale Terrier/lab mix. She also has white paws, although you can't see them in the photo.

Someone gave me this dog 4 months ago, but I don't know the breed and the guy didn't know either.

A Jack Russel and a beautiful one!!! :)

Does anyone know what sort of breed/breeds my dog could be? She was bought in a run down pet shop in London! She was only one of her kind.

Well, she certainly is a cutie! She probably is "one of a kind" but it may be a mixture of several breeds.

The only way to be sure is to have a DNA test done and you can purchase a DNA kit on line or from your vet. Tests in the US usually start at about $60 and run to over $100 dollars.

Here is a fun site that you might want to check out - you can upload a good photo and the response may be close to accurate - or not - but fun anyway and its free.

https://www.what-dog.net/#

What is the breed of my dog?
Thanks <3

What a cutie! Curled tail and all!

DNA testing is expensive - 60-100 dollars, but if you are interested just search on line for Pet DNA testing and several sites will show up.

Here is a fun site to see what the photo comes up with:

https://www.what-dog.net/#

What breed is my dog? It is supposed to be a Chihuahua.

Well he certainly look like a Chihuahua to me but they can have some mix that only shows up later.

DNA test run between 60 -100 dollars and info can be acquired through on-line Pet DNA testing, Dog Whisperer, Petsmart (not all stores) and vets.

I've just bought a dog and it's meant to be a Pit. Does it look like one?

Anonymous

Yes ... pitbull

I just got this little guy yesterday and am just curious what kind of dog he is? Will he get very big? Normal questions of what I should expect. I have 2 little dogs and have never owned a big dog. I'm assuming he might get pretty big. This is just me going off of his paw size as he is barely 3 months old. Help with these answers would be very appreciated! Thank you!

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I'm curious what you mean because an Australian shepherd and Border collie are not the same. Or am I misinterpreting what you meant??

I've had my baby for 16 years and I still don't know what kind of breed my dog is. She is about there with her age and I just recently have been questioned about what she is. Please help anyone. She's about a foot and a half tall:)

Awww! Maybe a Chihuahua German Shep!

Load More