What Breed is My Dog?

It can be difficult to determine a dog's breed without a DNA test. This is guide about "What breed is my dog?".

September 15, 2015 Flag

With so many people asking "What breed is my dog?" on here I thought I'd share a cute, quick answer that anyone can use, any time someone asks what breeds are in your mutt, or "what kind of dog is that?"

We had a dog that was a Boxer Shepherd mix (at least near as we could tell). We didn't care what was in the dog, but people were always asking, so we decided when anyone would ask we would answer "Oh, she's a Standard American Browndog." You say it with a completely straight face, followed by a little smile and a wink if you wish. It lets people know that you: a)don't know and b)don't care---she's your baby and you love her as much as any pedigreed purebred.

For different shapes, sizes, and colors of dogs you just adjust it a little. You could say "he's a Miniature Dutch Parti-Colour", or "she's a Petite Noir Pees-a-Lot", or "He's a Tri-Color Tailwagger". Just make up something and go with it.

When you do this people get kind-of a blank look on their face for a minute, and then they (almost always) get it. It's usually a good conversation starter too.

The photo is our "Standard American Browndog", Princess, howling that she wants to ride on the tractor!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 7 Comments

January 9, 2017 Flag

I am trying to identify the specific breeds that are in my new dog. I am just very curious. Any guesses or thoughts would be very appreciated! He is 26 pounds.
Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a cute dog. Some sort terrier mix, I think.

January 14, 2017 Flag

I recently adopted what I was told was a 5 year old Terrier mix, neutered male dog. I have been watching him and his interactions with my Boxer and I believe that he may be a Pit Bull. How can I tell the difference between a Terrier and a Pit Bull? How do I know the Humane Society I adopted my dog from classified him as the correct breed?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pit Bulls are in fact terriers. Hence the full name, Pit Bull terriers.

Sometimes shelters call dogs by less "scary" sounding names so people will give them a chance. If you have any misgivings about owning one or it is illegal for you to own one, take the dog to a veterinarian and get an opinion on the dog's breed.

January 11, 2017 Flag

So 'Lexi' is an American Bulldog X Rhodesian Ridgeback X Bullmastiff. People refer to her as a Pit Bull and that really doesn't bother me because she's the most loving placid dog you'll find, but out of curiosity could you class her as a Pit Bull?

Also, how accurate do you think the breeding in her is (what we have been told), I never got to see the parents as we rescued her from a friend that got her from a backyard breeder.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have a pit bull and lab mix and while the lab mix might have some pit in her, she has been considered a pit bull by some. It seems to be a catch all. Looking at your dog, my first thought wouldn't be pit bull. She looks pretty large and tall. Not compact enough. Doesn't have face shape you expect from a pit bull. Attached is the Pit Bull photo from the breed guide on this site. You can find a bunch more photos here: http://www.thri  -and-Photos.html

You have a great looking mix!

January 12, 2017 Flag

We just recently rescued this adorable mutt. We are struggling to identify what she could be mixed with. She is estimated to be about 9-10 weeks old. She was found abandoned on the street so no way to find out what her parents were. She is sweet, but she is a feisty one. haha

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What an adorable puppy!

Mixed breeds are difficult to match but here are a couple of web sites that might help:

https://www.what-dog.net/#

http://www.petm  edia/photoupload

January 7, 2017 Flag

Meet Pewter, found wandering the streets at about 6 weeks old and my newest addition. I absolutely adore my new mystery puppy. And would love to know what he is. I get asked all the time and have had several Blue Heeler owners tell me that's a Heeler to the T. His ears are starting to stand up and he looks like a smaller version of Bear, but has a tail. In the other question asked; can an Australian Cattle dog have no brown and a curly tail?

So I'm just looking for input.
Here's some pics and thanks for the help.

1st pic 6 weeks old
2nd pic face close up (9 weeks)
3rd pic curled tail and this is how he keeps it unless is in a deep sleep
4th pic his eye color hasn't changed since I've had him

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Come across it yesterday and came back with Blue healer with the greetings pic and a poodle with him eating the Christmas milkbone

January 10, 2017 Flag

What kind of breed of dog do I have? I know he is part Labrador, but what is he mixed with?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mixed breeds are many times difficult to name as many times one of the mix is more prominent than the other (or more "pure").

This is a good link to upload a photo and maybe get some idea:

https://www.what-dog.net/#

January 10, 2017 Flag

His coat is thick and soft and black, brown, and white.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You have a very cute doggie.

Mixed breed is difficult for amateurs (like me) but I love this site and they have a very good success rate:

https://www.what-dog.net/#

http://www.petm  edia/photoupload

January 6, 2017 Flag

What breed of dog is my puppy?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact your local American Kennel Club. They have experts there. You can bring your dog to the next meeting.

December 4, 2016 Flag

I do not know if my pup is a Pit Bull or not.
Please help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here he is, I'm not sure what happen to the first pic I uploaded. The humane society said he was pitbull/terrier mix, not really sure what he is

December 27, 2016 Flag

I would like to find out the breed of my two dogs?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The.y do seem to me to be very like beagles, small, floppy dark ears and a charming friendly disposition.

October 15, 2011 Flag

My puppy is 5 1/2 months old. I rescued her from a shelter 2 months ago. I have no history on her. The vet at the shelter thought she was a mix of German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois. Her ears are huge but so cool. She is the smartest dog I have ever seen!
Any thoughts? Thanx.

By mama T*

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The vet may be on the right track. Another idea is part Pharaoh hound. http://www.dogd  oh-hound-18.html

May 26, 2016 Flag

I just got this little guy yesterday and am just curious what kind of dog he is? Will he get very big? Normal questions of what I should expect. I have 2 little dogs and have never owned a big dog. I'm assuming he might get pretty big. This is just me going off of his paw size as he is barely 3 months old. Help with these answers would be very appreciated! Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm curious what you mean because an Australian shepherd and Border collie are not the same. Or am I misinterpreting what you meant??

December 1, 2016 Flag

I was found along the road with my mommy who had been killed when hit by a car. I have been bottle fed and I'm growing like a weed. My new mommy isn't sure what kind of puppy I am, but is sure that I'm absolutely adorable! Does anyone have any idea what breed mix I might be? I have been told over and over I look like a Rotty, but I'm way too small for that. Also, another clue might be that my toes are webbed. Please help identify me!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your cute new puppy looks like it has some dachshund in it with those little short legs and floppy ears. Such a cutie, whatever breed I am sure the puppy will give you lots of love for saving it.

November 28, 2016 Flag

I found this puppy on the side of the road and I'm curious about what she is. Now that I can't find her owner, she is going to be mine. She still has her baby teeth so we don't know exactly how old she is, but the vet is guessing around 4 months. I have upload images of her development since I found her. If anybody could help I'd appreciate it. I'm just mainly wondering how big she's going to get.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lovely little dog! She has a look of a Chihuahua, but that black/tan colour is almost universal. Perhaps your vet could tell you. If she is cross-bred, rejoice. They tend to have fewer health problems.

October 22, 2015 Flag

I found my dog 4 months ago when he was 45 days old in a dumpster trash. He was in bad shape. We took him to the vet and did 2 vaccinations and tommorow he will go for the third, he is good now. The vet says he is a sheep dog mix or Foxhound. I don't know because his mother was a stray dog and she went with all the other dogs maybe. It will be great if you help find what breed he is.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He looks Irish wolfhound ish

Load More
Pets Dogs Dog BreedsNovember 4, 2013
Products
What Breed is My Dog?
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Welsh Terrier
Welsh Terrier Breed Information
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 12:52:59 PM on 10.0.0.113 in 10 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.