What Breed is My Dog?

It can be difficult to determine a dog's breed without a DNA test. This is guide about "What breed is my dog?".

September 15, 2015 Flag

With so many people asking "What breed is my dog?" on here I thought I'd share a cute, quick answer that anyone can use, any time someone asks what breeds are in your mutt, or "what kind of dog is that?"

We had a dog that was a Boxer Shepherd mix (at least near as we could tell). We didn't care what was in the dog, but people were always asking, so we decided when anyone would ask we would answer "Oh, she's a Standard American Browndog." You say it with a completely straight face, followed by a little smile and a wink if you wish. It lets people know that you: a)don't know and b)don't care---she's your baby and you love her as much as any pedigreed purebred.

For different shapes, sizes, and colors of dogs you just adjust it a little. You could say "he's a Miniature Dutch Parti-Colour", or "she's a Petite Noir Pees-a-Lot", or "He's a Tri-Color Tailwagger". Just make up something and go with it.

When you do this people get kind-of a blank look on their face for a minute, and then they (almost always) get it. It's usually a good conversation starter too.

The photo is our "Standard American Browndog", Princess, howling that she wants to ride on the tractor!

I tell people my dog is a american special .

January 14, 2015 Flag

Your Pet's Age
2

Your Pet's Breed
Mixed

How and when did you get your pet?
I rescued little Ella and her brother George (in his forever home) from hell in November 2012, at 6 weeks old, near death.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Miss Ella loves to run, loves to play with my little nephew and nieces, she snuggles at night with me and big (younger brother) Tink, everyone stops and chats when they see Ella as she gets so happy to meet new people and their fur babies.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Miss Ella is the most beautiful natured little girl, considering her past. She just loves to love!

what kind of mixed dog is he

November 28, 2016 Flag

I found this puppy on the side of the road and I'm curious about what she is. Now that I can't find her owner, she is going to be mine. She still has her baby teeth so we don't know exactly how old she is, but the vet is guessing around 4 months. I have upload images of her development since I found her. If anybody could help I'd appreciate it. I'm just mainly wondering how big she's going to get.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She is adorable! She looks like a min pin and chihuahua cross so should be a small dog.

January 14, 2015 Flag

Your Pet's Age
14 months

Your Pet's Breed
Rotweiler Cross

How and when did you get your pet?
I was asked to take him in, from yet another violent abusive home. He was 4 months old, they had burnt his face, and a lot of horrid things. He has submissive weeing from it hence his name Tinkles (aka Mister Tinkles). Lol

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Tink likes to do anything I do, he loves going in the car, swimming, and going to the park, but due to his size, 40 odd kg, he's not a big runner. He loves jumping in the shower with me. He honestly just loves life!

He is the second dog I have removed from an abusive home. He has so much love for everyone, but not a fan of people in black caps! A very very trusting remarkable boy.

Thank heaven you rescued the poor thing! Thumbs up!

October 15, 2011 Flag

My puppy is 5 1/2 months old. I rescued her from a shelter 2 months ago. I have no history on her. The vet at the shelter thought she was a mix of German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois. Her ears are huge but so cool. She is the smartest dog I have ever seen!
Any thoughts? Thanx.

By mama T*

Best Answer

The vet may be on the right track. Another idea is part Pharaoh hound. http://www.dogdict.org/pharaoh-hound-18.html

May 26, 2016 Flag

I just got this little guy yesterday and am just curious what kind of dog he is? Will he get very big? Normal questions of what I should expect. I have 2 little dogs and have never owned a big dog. I'm assuming he might get pretty big. This is just me going off of his paw size as he is barely 3 months old. Help with these answers would be very appreciated! Thank you!

I'm curious what you mean because an Australian shepherd and Border collie are not the same. Or am I misinterpreting what you meant??

October 22, 2015 Flag

I found my dog 4 months ago when he was 45 days old in a dumpster trash. He was in bad shape. We took him to the vet and did 2 vaccinations and tommorow he will go for the third, he is good now. The vet says he is a sheep dog mix or Foxhound. I don't know because his mother was a stray dog and she went with all the other dogs maybe. It will be great if you help find what breed he is.

He looks Irish wolfhound ish

October 3, 2016 Flag

I'm new here, I came across the site while trying to figure out what breed my puppy is. I got her about 2 weeks ago, I was told the dad is a Chihuahua, but they do not know the breed of the mother. The mother was found abandoned and they took her in and never found out what she is. I am very curious to know what kind of puppy we have. Thank you.

It is a Yorkshire Terrier mixed

September 9, 2016 Flag

I just got a puppy. I think he might be a Chihuahua.

I see Corgi

Load More
Pets Dogs Dog BreedsNovember 4, 2013
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Welsh Terrier
Welsh Terrier Breed Information
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
🎉
🎄