What Breed is My Dog?

It can be difficult to determine a dog's breed without a DNA test. This is guide about "What breed is my dog?".

mixed breed dog
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I don't think my dog is a purebred. I adopted him from a shelter and they didn't know too much about his breed. His fur is very short and he is skinny and tall.

German Shepherd looking dogWhat Breed Is My Dog?
    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does he look like a full bread?

Read More Answers...

This is Jojo. I found him online about 3 months ago. I would really like to know if anybody has any ideas on what breed he might be. Thanks!

What Breed is Jojo?
    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm looking to breed my female Chihuahua with a purebred male Chihuahua, but I just want to know if she's purebred or a Min-Pin? Her ears are the only thing that look weird to me.

black dog
      Is My Chihuahua Pure Bred?
      AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I googled "chihuahua min pin" and quite a few dogs look like yours but I can't say for sure if she is a mix.

With so many people asking "What breed is my dog?" on here I thought I'd share a cute, quick answer that anyone can use, any time someone asks what breeds are in your mutt, or "what kind of dog is that?"

We had a dog that was a Boxer Shepherd mix (at least near as we could tell). We didn't care what was in the dog, but people were always asking, so we decided when anyone would ask we would answer "Oh, she's a Standard American Browndog." You say it with a completely straight face, followed by a little smile and a wink if you wish. It lets people know that you: a)don't know and b)don't care---she's your baby and you love her as much as any pedigreed purebred.

For different shapes, sizes, and colors of dogs you just adjust it a little. You could say "he's a Miniature Dutch Parti-Colour", or "she's a Petite Noir Pees-a-Lot", or "He's a Tri-Color Tailwagger". Just make up something and go with it.

When you do this people get kind-of a blank look on their face for a minute, and then they (almost always) get it. It's usually a good conversation starter too.

The photo is our "Standard American Browndog", Princess, howling that she wants to ride on the tractor!

dog howling
        CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Black dog with a white chest and huge stand up ears.My puppy is 5 1/2 months old. I rescued her from a shelter 2 months ago. I have no history on her. The vet at the shelter thought she was a mix of German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois. Her ears are huge but so cool. She is the smartest dog I have ever seen!
        Any thoughts? Thanx.

By mama T*

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Best Answer

The vet may be on the right track. Another idea is part Pharaoh hound. http://www.dogdict.org/pharaoh-hound-18.html

Read More Answers...

profile of Ella

Your Pet's Age
        2

Your Pet's Breed
        Mixed

How and when did you get your pet?
        I rescued little Ella and her brother George (in his forever home) from hell in November 2012, at 6 weeks old, near death.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
        Miss Ella loves to run, loves to play with my little nephew and nieces, she snuggles at night with me and big (younger brother) Tink, everyone stops and chats when they see Ella as she gets so happy to meet new people and their fur babies.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
        Miss Ella is the most beautiful natured little girl, considering her past. She just loves to love!

playing in the waterlying down on couch

I found my dog 4 months ago when he was 45 days old in a dumpster trash. He was in bad shape. We took him to the vet and did 2 vaccinations and tommorow he will go for the third, he is good now. The vet says he is a sheep dog mix or Foxhound. I don't know because his mother was a stray dog and she went with all the other dogs maybe. It will be great if you help find what breed he is.

brindle and white dog with freckles
          AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

:)

Read More Answers...

closeup

Your Pet's Age
          14 months

Your Pet's Breed
          Rotweiler Cross

How and when did you get your pet?
          I was asked to take him in, from yet another violent abusive home. He was 4 months old, they had burnt his face, and a lot of horrid things. He has submissive weeing from it hence his name Tinkles (aka Mister Tinkles). Lol

What does your pet like to do for fun?
          Tink likes to do anything I do, he loves going in the car, swimming, and going to the park, but due to his size, 40 odd kg, he's not a big runner. He loves jumping in the shower with me. He honestly just loves life!

He is the second dog I have removed from an abusive home. He has so much love for everyone, but not a fan of people in black caps! A very very trusting remarkable boy.

Tink lying downowner and Think

I would like to know the dog breed? It looks like a French Griffon, but I am not 100% sure.

black and white puppy
            AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She is 7 weeks and 5 lbs.

black puppy
              AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here are some updated picture of her she has gained 9 lbs in 3 weeks what do you think

Read More Answers...

brown puppy with white on muzzleMy family (3 kids - 8, 6, and 4) just adopted this puppy from a rescue that stated her mother was a Border Collie and her father was a Lab. Many, many people have asked if she is a Pit Bull. We are new dog owners and were hoping for an easy to train, gentle dog that would love, but not hurt our kids. We know that Pit Bulls can be sweet and easy going and lovable so long as you are great trainers, but we are dog owning newbies, so we are worried that we are not the right family for a dog that needs really, really good trainers. I also can't stand the critical and harsh comments so many people make about Pits, it feels stressful already! So far it seems there is some growling and play biting going on, but otherwise she is a very sweet dog. Thoughts?

By Debbi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
              Best Answer

I agree with the previous answer - your gorgeous pup looks like a Lab-Border Collie. That head tilt, those stunning blue eyes, the quintessential BC 'snout blaze' plus the chocolatey Lab coat colour are dead give-aways.

Ask your vet to be sure, a DNA test will tell you absolutely but is pricey - last I heard in the US a canine DNA test can run $300USD.

I raised Boxers in the US 40+years before relocating to the UK. The uninformed (read silly hysterical types looking for an excuse to moan) frequently insisted my Boxers were 'pit bulls' - no matter what your dog looks like there will always be some uninformed person trying to be a know-it-all. Don't let people upset you but rather go with your vet's advise.

For everyone's sake, if the dog makes you nervous please rehome it with a family able to take on a Border Collie-Lab mix - the growling you're hearing now whilst at play is part of the BC trait behaviour. As the dog grows expect herding behaviours too, should you choose to keep the dog. After consulting your vet to be sure of the breed mix, get some books or go online to those breeds sites to learn what to expect from your puppy as it matures - including how long the breeds take to full maturity. Boxers and many of the large breed dogs (erm, like Labs:) aren't fully mature until around three years old!

If you love the dog and are fair, patient, and conscientious, there is no need to be the next Barbara Woodhouse (Walkies! Lol:), your local recreation and leisure centre more than likely offers low cost puppy training classes.

You can also learn from breed-specific library books, YouTube videos, and first and foremost - a good canine vet.

Read More Answers...

Brown and tan puppy.I would really like to know the breed of my new puppy. He looks full German Shepherd, but I'm still skeptical about it.

By Tyler

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Looks just like mine who we adopted at 8 weeks and is now she is more like 12+ weeks....They said she was a German Shepard, Rottweiler and Pitbull mix. Never saw the parents though!

Such cute dogs!

Read More Answers...

Can someone please help me determine the breed of my dog? She's been with us a year and I'm convinced there is some Pit in her, but she's very friendly and loves people. I just don't know what else is in her. Maybe Lab? But then what makes her small? If anyone has an idea please let me know.

What Is My Dog's Breed?
                What Is My Dog's Breed?
                AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would guess some GSD because of the ears. You are right about the pit.

I would like to know your views on my pups' quality and breed. Thanks.

grey puppyWhat Breed Are My Puppies?
                  AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He's 2 years old and full grown at 48 pounds. I know he is a German Shepherd mix, but I don't know what he could be mixed with. Border Collie or Golden Retriever perhaps?

tan and cream Shepherd looking dog
                    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He looks like a Golden/Shepherd mix to me. Very nice fur.

BTW, not all German Shepherds are full grown at 2 years. Some aren't until 3 years.

We got Dallas at 6 weeks, 5.5lbs. The shelter says she's an American Bulldog mix. I met the mom, but I have never seen a Bulldog with pointy/straight up ears. She was also on the small side (maybe 45-55lbs). They have no idea of dad's breed. I'm not sure how much I think the Bulldog breeding is correct. She's now 7 weeks and has gained 1lb in the week.

What Breed Is My Dog?What Breed Is My Dog?
                      What Breed Is My Dog?
                      AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank y'all so much !!! We're tempted to do a dog DNA test (HaHaHa) to see if it turns anything different than what we think.

Read More Answers...

These are new updated pictures. She has gained 9 lbs in 3 weeks; she's 11 weeks today.

What Breed Is My Puppy?
                        What Breed Is My Puppy?
                        AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think Saber Alexander meant "pit", but never hit the "p". She is adorable, and I think she's at least part pitbull, although I'm not an expert either. Enjoy her!

Read More Answers...
                        Load More
                        Pets Dogs Dog BreedsNovember 4, 2013
                        Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
                        Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
                        Cairn Terrier
                        Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
                        Welsh Terrier
                        Welsh Terrier Breed Information
                        Cat
                        Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
                        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 3, 2016 at 9:04:51 PM on 10.0.2.78 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.