What Breed is My Dog?

Category Dog Breeds
It can be difficult to determine a dog's breed without a DNA test. This is guide about "What breed is my dog?".

With so many people asking "What breed is my dog?" on here I thought I'd share a cute, quick answer that anyone can use, any time someone asks what breeds are in your mutt, or "what kind of dog is that?"

We had a dog that was a Boxer Shepherd mix (at least near as we could tell). We didn't care what was in the dog, but people were always asking, so we decided when anyone would ask we would answer "Oh, she's a Standard American Browndog." You say it with a completely straight face, followed by a little smile and a wink if you wish. It lets people know that you: a)don't know and b)don't care---she's your baby and you love her as much as any pedigreed purebred.

For different shapes, sizes, and colors of dogs you just adjust it a little. You could say "he's a Miniature Dutch Parti-Colour", or "she's a Petite Noir Pees-a-Lot", or "He's a Tri-Color Tailwagger". Just make up something and go with it.

When you do this people get kind-of a blank look on their face for a minute, and then they (almost always) get it. It's usually a good conversation starter too.

The photo is our "Standard American Browndog", Princess, howling that she wants to ride on the tractor!

In my opinion, I think your beautiful dog is definitely Yorkshire terrier mix with possibly chihuahua! More Yorkshire terrier than anything. Good luck with the digging it's going to do lol, bless.

What is the breed of my dog?
Thanks <3

What a cutie! Curled tail and all!

DNA testing is expensive - 60-100 dollars, but if you are interested just search on line for Pet DNA testing and several sites will show up.

Here is a fun site to see what the photo comes up with:

https://www.what-dog.net/#

What breed is my dog? It is supposed to be a Chihuahua.

Well he certainly look like a Chihuahua to me but they can have some mix that only shows up later.

DNA test run between 60 -100 dollars and info can be acquired through on-line Pet DNA testing, Dog Whisperer, Petsmart (not all stores) and vets.

We just purchased a new puppy and I was wondering if you could tell me what breed you think she is? They told us she was a Heeler/Golden Retriever cross? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Her tail curls up over her back. She has a really fuzzy coat that is black, but shows red when in the sun. She is currently 10 weeks old and weighs a little over 10 pounds.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

She looks a lot like my dog, who we think is a Patterdale Terrier/lab mix. She also has white paws, although you can't see them in the photo.

What breed is she? She is now 10 months old and 41 lbs. Is she an American Pit Bull Terrier?

Definitely 50 percent or more pit bull. Very muscular and similar in shape.

My puppy is 5 1/2 months old. I rescued her from a shelter 2 months ago. I have no history on her. The vet at the shelter thought she was a mix of German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois. Her ears are huge but so cool. She is the smartest dog I have ever seen!
Any thoughts? Thanx.

By mama T*

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

The vet may be on the right track. Another idea is part Pharaoh hound. http://www.dogd  oh-hound-18.html

I've just bought a dog and it's meant to be a Pit. Does it look like one?

Anonymous

Yes ... pitbull

She weighs 52 pounds and is 11 months old. When she's happy or excited and playful, her tail can curl up. When she's timid or scared her tail goes between her legs. She is very friendly but very skittish.

She looks like some type of pitbull mix, possibly with Lab? I had a pitbull/lab mix of about the same size and similar head structure and eyes.

I rescued Marshall from a pound. I'm hoping maybe I could get some suggestions on what breed he is.

he may have some kind of houd in him blue tic has those spots too

It's been like forever since I have been trying to find out my dog's breed. All I know is that her mom is a Golden Retriever. Please help me guess its breed.

The only way to know for sure is to have the vet run a DNA test.

My puppy's mother is a German Shepherd, but I don't know about the male. I think he is a cross breed puppy. Can anybody tell me his breed? I am confused because his colour is brown. Is he a German Shepherd or not?

i think he is a female

We just got Miss Buttercup from the Humane Society about a week ago. There was a litter that was found and dropped off. We are very curious to know her mix and how big she will get? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Your best bet for an accurate answer is to do a doggie DNA test, that way you will know the tendencies and potential health issues of its breed or custom blend of breeds. Ask your vet or look online.

I recently adopted a puppy. It looks Pit Bull, but I'm uncertain. Can anyone see and find out? I don't have that much money now for DNA testing. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Looks like a pit bull jack russell. I'll send this to my friend who is a dog expert :)

His papers from the shelter say hound mix, but idk. He looks a lot like a Lab Doberman mix to me and maybe Beagle too. Any ideas?

Your dog looks like a Black and Tan Coonhound. There may be something else in there as well. A full blooded Coonhound would have longer ears.

I am trying to identify the specific breeds that are in my new dog. I am just very curious. Any guesses or thoughts would be very appreciated! He is 26 pounds.
Thank you.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

What a cute dog. Some sort terrier mix, I think.

I just got this little guy yesterday and am just curious what kind of dog he is? Will he get very big? Normal questions of what I should expect. I have 2 little dogs and have never owned a big dog. I'm assuming he might get pretty big. This is just me going off of his paw size as he is barely 3 months old. Help with these answers would be very appreciated! Thank you!

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I'm curious what you mean because an Australian shepherd and Border collie are not the same. Or am I misinterpreting what you meant??

I found my dog 4 months ago when he was 45 days old in a dumpster trash. He was in bad shape. We took him to the vet and did 2 vaccinations and tommorow he will go for the third, he is good now. The vet says he is a sheep dog mix or Foxhound. I don't know because his mother was a stray dog and she went with all the other dogs maybe. It will be great if you help find what breed he is.

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Anonymous

He looks Irish wolfhound ish

Load More