What Breed is My Dog?

It can be difficult to determine a dog's breed without a DNA test. This is guide about "What breed is my dog?".

September 15, 2015 Flag

With so many people asking "What breed is my dog?" on here I thought I'd share a cute, quick answer that anyone can use, any time someone asks what breeds are in your mutt, or "what kind of dog is that?"

We had a dog that was a Boxer Shepherd mix (at least near as we could tell). We didn't care what was in the dog, but people were always asking, so we decided when anyone would ask we would answer "Oh, she's a Standard American Browndog." You say it with a completely straight face, followed by a little smile and a wink if you wish. It lets people know that you: a)don't know and b)don't care---she's your baby and you love her as much as any pedigreed purebred.

For different shapes, sizes, and colors of dogs you just adjust it a little. You could say "he's a Miniature Dutch Parti-Colour", or "she's a Petite Noir Pees-a-Lot", or "He's a Tri-Color Tailwagger". Just make up something and go with it.

When you do this people get kind-of a blank look on their face for a minute, and then they (almost always) get it. It's usually a good conversation starter too.

The photo is our "Standard American Browndog", Princess, howling that she wants to ride on the tractor!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In my opinion, I think your beautiful dog is definitely Yorkshire terrier mix with possibly chihuahua! More Yorkshire terrier than anything. Good luck with the digging it's going to do lol, bless.

February 6, 2017 Flag

We just purchased a new puppy and I was wondering if you could tell me what breed you think she is? They told us she was a Heeler/Golden Retriever cross? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Her tail curls up over her back. She has a really fuzzy coat that is black, but shows red when in the sun. She is currently 10 weeks old and weighs a little over 10 pounds.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She looks a lot like a baby version of my dog, who we think is a Patterdale terrier/lab mix. You can't see her paws here, but she also has white on them.

February 2, 2017 Flag

What breed is my 10 month old male dog; he weighs 76 lbs.?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He appears to have either greyhound or border collie mixed with black lab. The more I look at the pictures the more I see greyhound + black lab mix. He is precious. Is he high energy?

January 27, 2017 Flag

Can anyone tell me what breed my dog is? I was informed he was a Boxer cross, however I am unsure of what he would be crossed with. I believe he may be crossed with a Great Dane. He is 5 years old. I would love to know what he actually is. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would have to agree that it definitely looks like a Dane boxer mix. The shape and the size and the way the muzzle is elongated make it seem that way to me.

Visit those other sites to be sure, though

January 19, 2017 Flag

Any guesses would be much appreciated!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He looks like a little Husky mix.

January 9, 2017 Flag

I am trying to identify the specific breeds that are in my new dog. I am just very curious. Any guesses or thoughts would be very appreciated! He is 26 pounds.
Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a cute dog. Some sort terrier mix, I think.

October 15, 2011 Flag

My puppy is 5 1/2 months old. I rescued her from a shelter 2 months ago. I have no history on her. The vet at the shelter thought she was a mix of German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois. Her ears are huge but so cool. She is the smartest dog I have ever seen!
Any thoughts? Thanx.

By mama T*

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The vet may be on the right track. Another idea is part Pharaoh hound. http://www.dogd  oh-hound-18.html

January 30, 2017 Flag

I am adopting this puppy and she is absolutely beautiful. She is a cross breed and we are unaware of her breed/breeds. I am just wondering if anyone was to guess what would you say she could be?

Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Rottweiler

January 28, 2017 Flag

What types of dog is this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could go to an American Kennel Club in your area and they could help you out.

January 12, 2017 Flag

We just recently rescued this adorable mutt. We are struggling to identify what she could be mixed with. She is estimated to be about 9-10 weeks old. She was found abandoned on the street so no way to find out what her parents were. She is sweet, but she is a feisty one. haha

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She does look like lab/border collie. But also like she has some Pit in there somewhere. My brothers dog is border collie/ pit and looks almost identical.

December 4, 2016 Flag

I do not know if my pup is a Pit Bull or not.
Please help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here he is, I'm not sure what happen to the first pic I uploaded. The humane society said he was pitbull/terrier mix, not really sure what he is

January 7, 2017 Flag

Meet Pewter, found wandering the streets at about 6 weeks old and my newest addition. I absolutely adore my new mystery puppy. And would love to know what he is. I get asked all the time and have had several Blue Heeler owners tell me that's a Heeler to the T. His ears are starting to stand up and he looks like a smaller version of Bear, but has a tail. In the other question asked; can an Australian Cattle dog have no brown and a curly tail?

So I'm just looking for input.
Here's some pics and thanks for the help.

1st pic 6 weeks old
2nd pic face close up (9 weeks)
3rd pic curled tail and this is how he keeps it unless is in a deep sleep
4th pic his eye color hasn't changed since I've had him

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Come across it yesterday and came back with Blue healer with the greetings pic and a poodle with him eating the Christmas milkbone

January 10, 2017 Flag

His coat is thick and soft and black, brown, and white.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You have a very cute doggie.

Mixed breed is difficult for amateurs (like me) but I love this site and they have a very good success rate:

https://www.what-dog.net/#

http://www.petm  edia/photoupload

January 14, 2017 Flag

I recently adopted what I was told was a 5 year old Terrier mix, neutered male dog. I have been watching him and his interactions with my Boxer and I believe that he may be a Pit Bull. How can I tell the difference between a Terrier and a Pit Bull? How do I know the Humane Society I adopted my dog from classified him as the correct breed?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A Pit bull specifically is characterized by a large, flat head and muscular body. In fact, four different breeds can be considered 'pit bull' and these are American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bully, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

In terms of horrific breed-specific legislation, if your dog even looks like one, you probably have to consult your local authorities.

As far as biting behaviour, "Contrary to popular myth, pit bulls do not have "locking jaws".[33] There is no physiological "locking mechanism" in the jaw muscle and bone structure of pit bulls or other dogs.[34] Pit bull-type dogs, like other terriers, hunting and bull-baiting breeds,[35] can exhibit a bite, hold, and shake behavior and at times refuse to release.[16][36][37] Pit bulls also have wide skulls, well-developed facial muscles, and strong jaws,[33] and some research suggests that pit bull bites are particularly serious because they tend to bite deeply and grind their molars into tissue.[38] " https://en.wiki  rg/wiki/Pit_bull

In general i would not worry, these are some of the smartest dogs around and if he is already well socialized, I am sure he will make a great pet.

January 11, 2017 Flag

So 'Lexi' is an American Bulldog X Rhodesian Ridgeback X Bullmastiff. People refer to her as a Pit Bull and that really doesn't bother me because she's the most loving placid dog you'll find, but out of curiosity could you class her as a Pit Bull?

Also, how accurate do you think the breeding in her is (what we have been told), I never got to see the parents as we rescued her from a friend that got her from a backyard breeder.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have a pit bull and lab mix and while the lab mix might have some pit in her, she has been considered a pit bull by some. It seems to be a catch all. Looking at your dog, my first thought wouldn't be pit bull. She looks pretty large and tall. Not compact enough. Doesn't have face shape you expect from a pit bull. Attached is the Pit Bull photo from the breed guide on this site. You can find a bunch more photos here: http://www.thri  -and-Photos.html

You have a great looking mix!

May 26, 2016 Flag

I just got this little guy yesterday and am just curious what kind of dog he is? Will he get very big? Normal questions of what I should expect. I have 2 little dogs and have never owned a big dog. I'm assuming he might get pretty big. This is just me going off of his paw size as he is barely 3 months old. Help with these answers would be very appreciated! Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm curious what you mean because an Australian shepherd and Border collie are not the same. Or am I misinterpreting what you meant??

Load More
Pets Dogs Dog BreedsNovember 4, 2013
Products
What Breed is My Dog?
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Welsh Terrier
Welsh Terrier Breed Information
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 3:24:32 AM on 10.0.0.241 in 9 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.