What Breed is My Dog?

It can be difficult to determine a dog's breed without a DNA test. This is guide about "What breed is my dog?".

mixed breed dog
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

With so many people asking "What breed is my dog?" on here I thought I'd share a cute, quick answer that anyone can use, any time someone asks what breeds are in your mutt, or "what kind of dog is that?"

We had a dog that was a Boxer Shepherd mix (at least near as we could tell). We didn't care what was in the dog, but people were always asking, so we decided when anyone would ask we would answer "Oh, she's a Standard American Browndog." You say it with a completely straight face, followed by a little smile and a wink if you wish. It lets people know that you: a)don't know and b)don't care---she's your baby and you love her as much as any pedigreed purebred.

For different shapes, sizes, and colors of dogs you just adjust it a little. You could say "he's a Miniature Dutch Parti-Colour", or "she's a Petite Noir Pees-a-Lot", or "He's a Tri-Color Tailwagger". Just make up something and go with it.

When you do this people get kind-of a blank look on their face for a minute, and then they (almost always) get it. It's usually a good conversation starter too.

The photo is our "Standard American Browndog", Princess, howling that she wants to ride on the tractor!

dog howling
    CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Black dog with a white chest and huge stand up ears.My puppy is 5 1/2 months old. I rescued her from a shelter 2 months ago. I have no history on her. The vet at the shelter thought she was a mix of German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois. Her ears are huge but so cool. She is the smartest dog I have ever seen!
    Any thoughts? Thanx.

By mama T*

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

The vet may be on the right track. Another idea is part Pharaoh hound. http://www.dogdict.org/pharaoh-hound-18.html

Read More Answers...

I don't think my dog is a purebred. I adopted him from a shelter and they didn't know too much about his breed. His fur is very short and he is skinny and tall.

German Shepherd looking dogWhat Breed Is My Dog?
      AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does he look like a full bread?

Read More Answers...

I'm looking to breed my female Chihuahua with a purebred male Chihuahua, but I just want to know if she's purebred or a Min-Pin? Her ears are the only thing that look weird to me.

black dog
        Is My Chihuahua Pure Bred?
        AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Her 'weird' ears are darling!

She appears to be an 'Apple-Head' Chill on that side of her pedigree.,..through a lifetime of rescuing & other dog related ' jobs', looking at her nose, ears, eye shape & the tapering of her slender legs, I would make an educated guess that she could very easily be half Rat Terrier. Its also possible that she may be part Boston Terrier but heavily favors the Çhi. I suggest this due more to her eye shape which is very unique. I'd still have to put my money on the Rat Terrier mix, though. Either way she's a DOLL!!

Read More Answers...

profile of Ella

Your Pet's Age
        2

Your Pet's Breed
        Mixed

How and when did you get your pet?
        I rescued little Ella and her brother George (in his forever home) from hell in November 2012, at 6 weeks old, near death.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
        Miss Ella loves to run, loves to play with my little nephew and nieces, she snuggles at night with me and big (younger brother) Tink, everyone stops and chats when they see Ella as she gets so happy to meet new people and their fur babies.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
        Miss Ella is the most beautiful natured little girl, considering her past. She just loves to love!

playing in the waterlying down on couch

I found my dog 4 months ago when he was 45 days old in a dumpster trash. He was in bad shape. We took him to the vet and did 2 vaccinations and tommorow he will go for the third, he is good now. The vet says he is a sheep dog mix or Foxhound. I don't know because his mother was a stray dog and she went with all the other dogs maybe. It will be great if you help find what breed he is.

brindle and white dog with freckles
          AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What EVER he may be he's cute as PIE! (& he matches the tile floor, so OBVIOUSLY it's meant to be!!) He reminds me of an ol' spotted spaniel bird dog I had many years ago, with a bit of a wire haired breed thrown in for good measure- maybe Airedale? WhatVL EVER he is, he's ADORABLE!!! Have a GREAT life together!;

Read More Answers...

closeup

Your Pet's Age
          14 months

Your Pet's Breed
          Rotweiler Cross

How and when did you get your pet?
          I was asked to take him in, from yet another violent abusive home. He was 4 months old, they had burnt his face, and a lot of horrid things. He has submissive weeing from it hence his name Tinkles (aka Mister Tinkles). Lol

What does your pet like to do for fun?
          Tink likes to do anything I do, he loves going in the car, swimming, and going to the park, but due to his size, 40 odd kg, he's not a big runner. He loves jumping in the shower with me. He honestly just loves life!

He is the second dog I have removed from an abusive home. He has so much love for everyone, but not a fan of people in black caps! A very very trusting remarkable boy.

Tink lying downowner and Think

Any ideas what breed my puppy is. She is 7 weeks and 5 lbs.

black puppy
            AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here are some updated picture of her she has gained 9 lbs in 3 weeks what do you think

Read More Answers...

brown puppy with white on muzzleMy family (3 kids - 8, 6, and 4) just adopted this puppy from a rescue that stated her mother was a Border Collie and her father was a Lab. Many, many people have asked if she is a Pit Bull. We are new dog owners and were hoping for an easy to train, gentle dog that would love, but not hurt our kids. We know that Pit Bulls can be sweet and easy going and lovable so long as you are great trainers, but we are dog owning newbies, so we are worried that we are not the right family for a dog that needs really, really good trainers. I also can't stand the critical and harsh comments so many people make about Pits, it feels stressful already! So far it seems there is some growling and play biting going on, but otherwise she is a very sweet dog. Thoughts?

By Debbi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
            Best Answer

I agree with the previous answer - your gorgeous pup looks like a Lab-Border Collie. That head tilt, those stunning blue eyes, the quintessential BC 'snout blaze' plus the chocolatey Lab coat colour are dead give-aways.

Ask your vet to be sure, a DNA test will tell you absolutely but is pricey - last I heard in the US a canine DNA test can run $300USD.

I raised Boxers in the US 40+years before relocating to the UK. The uninformed (read silly hysterical types looking for an excuse to moan) frequently insisted my Boxers were 'pit bulls' - no matter what your dog looks like there will always be some uninformed person trying to be a know-it-all. Don't let people upset you but rather go with your vet's advise.

For everyone's sake, if the dog makes you nervous please rehome it with a family able to take on a Border Collie-Lab mix - the growling you're hearing now whilst at play is part of the BC trait behaviour. As the dog grows expect herding behaviours too, should you choose to keep the dog. After consulting your vet to be sure of the breed mix, get some books or go online to those breeds sites to learn what to expect from your puppy as it matures - including how long the breeds take to full maturity. Boxers and many of the large breed dogs (erm, like Labs:) aren't fully mature until around three years old!

If you love the dog and are fair, patient, and conscientious, there is no need to be the next Barbara Woodhouse (Walkies! Lol:), your local recreation and leisure centre more than likely offers low cost puppy training classes.

You can also learn from breed-specific library books, YouTube videos, and first and foremost - a good canine vet.

Read More Answers...

Brown and tan puppy.I would really like to know the breed of my new puppy. He looks full German Shepherd, but I'm still skeptical about it.

By Tyler

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Looks just like mine who we adopted at 8 weeks and is now she is more like 12+ weeks....They said she was a German Shepard, Rottweiler and Pitbull mix. Never saw the parents though!

Such cute dogs!

Read More Answers...

Can anyone tell me what my puppy is? I know for sure his mom is a Pit Bull, the dad was supposed to have been one too. I've seen them both as well as the rest of her pups, they all look similar, mostly black with short hair, like Pit puppies. The puppy I picked, as you can see, looks nothing like the rest of them. He has one blue eye and long black, white, and gray/blue hair. He was given to me. I think he is beautiful regardless. He's very calm and never barks.

black, white, and grey puppy
              AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He looks part Aussie Shepard! Cute puppy!

Read More Answers...

We got Dallas at 6 weeks, 5.5lbs. The shelter says she's an American Bulldog mix. I met the mom, but I have never seen a Bulldog with pointy/straight up ears. She was also on the small side (maybe 45-55lbs). They have no idea of dad's breed. I'm not sure how much I think the Bulldog breeding is correct. She's now 7 weeks and has gained 1lb in the week.

What Breed Is My Dog?What Breed Is My Dog?
                What Breed Is My Dog?
                AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank y'all so much !!! We're tempted to do a dog DNA test (HaHaHa) to see if it turns anything different than what we think.

Read More Answers...

I just adopted this puppy from a rescue a couple weeks ago. She was found living at a dump in a native reserve at 6 weeks old. Within the past week she's changed a lot and aggression has been showing a lot. I just want make sure my 4 year old will be OK and safe. He had been attacked by our previous dog at age 2. Knowing what kind of breed she is might help us on how to train her. We can tell there is obviously German Shepherd, but we are thinking maybe Boxer as well, since she is brindle colour and has those "sad" eyes and long legs.

puppy on quilt
                  AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She looks just like my dog when I got him at 8 weeks. He was a rescue from New Mexico, thinking from an Indian Reservation. He is now 5 years. I got a saliva test done way back, (I'd save my money in retrospect) and he was 1/3 staffordshire terrier, 1/3 Boston terrier, and 1/3 husky. I can send a current picture if you want a glimpse into the future.

He is sweet and great around children and babies...a big love bug.

Read More Answers...

I was wondering if you could help me figure out what bred my new puppy is. We got her from the humane society and they told us that they were told that she is a Black Lab Golden Retriever mix. But now people are telling me she might have something else because she is getting some brown on her legs. So we are just curious to know. She also has one blue eye and one black.

What Breed Is My Dog?
                    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Definitely a Lab! Not sure on the other but she sure is gorgeous! Congrats!

Read More Answers...

These are new updated pictures. She has gained 9 lbs in 3 weeks; she's 11 weeks today.

What Breed Is My Puppy?

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                    Load More
                    Pets Dogs Dog BreedsNovember 4, 2013
                    Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
                    Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
                    Cairn Terrier
                    Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
                    Welsh Terrier
                    Welsh Terrier Breed Information
                    Cat
                    Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
                    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 24, 2016 at 5:03:17 PM on 10.0.0.251 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.