What Breed is My Dog?

It can be difficult to determine a dog's breed without a DNA test. This is guide about "What breed is my dog?".

mixed breed dog
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 27, 2016 Flag

Is any one able to identify what other breeds are in my dog? Please! I got him at 2 months old and now he is just over 2 years old. When I first got him I was being told he was a Boxer Collie mix, but I didn't think he looked like it so I got his DNA tested at Wisdom Panel and the result came back he is 50% Boxer and 50% mixed. Now my question is what other breeds do you think he's got in him?

What Breed Is My Dog?

The results of the Wisdom panel has a section that shows you a detection threshold of what he might have mixed in him, but all these other dogs they showed look nothing like him. At the top of the list out of 5 they show a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and an Old English Sheepdog as what he possibly might have in him. I mean I don't know what to make of this.

Now regardless of what breed he is I will love him just the same :) But the laws are changing around here and I need to know if he is a Pit Bull? He is build pretty thin and he is pretty tall and now weighs about 75 pounds. I can totally see he's got the body of a Boxer but when you look at him from the front he looks so different from when your looking at him from the sides.

I personally don't think he looks like a Pit Bull but some people are always asking me if he is. I don't know who I can go see to help me with my situation.

I hope I get some great feedback from here and if some one can help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

What Breed Is My Dog?
    What Breed Is My Dog?
    Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You're right. The model makes no sense. It's up to individual interpretation and dumb.

Read More Answers...

June 29, 2016 Flag

My friend has this dog and never knew what kind it was. The vet said it was a Lab/Pit mix. Thanks.

dog lying down on carpetWhat Breed Is My Dog?

May 26, 2016 Flag

I just got this little guy yesterday and am just curious what kind of dog he is? Will he get very big? Normal questions of what I should expect. I have 2 little dogs and have never owned a big dog. I'm assuming he might get pretty big. This is just me going off of his paw size as he is barely 3 months old. Help with these answers would be very appreciated! Thank you!

white puppy with yellowish ears
        What Breed Is My Dog?

Great Pyrenees mix

Read More Answers...

September 15, 2015 Flag

With so many people asking "What breed is my dog?" on here I thought I'd share a cute, quick answer that anyone can use, any time someone asks what breeds are in your mutt, or "what kind of dog is that?"dog howling

We had a dog that was a Boxer Shepherd mix (at least near as we could tell). We didn't care what was in the dog, but people were always asking, so we decided when anyone would ask we would answer "Oh, she's a Standard American Browndog." You say it with a completely straight face, followed by a little smile and a wink if you wish. It lets people know that you: a)don't know and b)don't care---she's your baby and you love her as much as any pedigreed purebred.

For different shapes, sizes, and colors of dogs you just adjust it a little. You could say "he's a Miniature Dutch Parti-Colour", or "she's a Petite Noir Pees-a-Lot", or "He's a Tri-Color Tailwagger". Just make up something and go with it.

When you do this people get kind-of a blank look on their face for a minute, and then they (almost always) get it. It's usually a good conversation starter too.

The photo is our "Standard American Browndog", Princess, howling that she wants to ride on the tractor!

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 27, 2016 Flag

We recently adopted a puppy, she just turned four months old and weighs a little over 10 lbs, not much, however she is quite long. Anyways, we were told she was a Labrador mix, but we can't figure what the other dog might be. What do you guys think?

black and white puppyWhat Breed Is My Dog?What Breed Is My Dog?
            What Breed Is My Dog?

June 14, 2016 Flag

This is my 6 month old dog and I have no idea what he is. He's a little bit bigger than a Chihuahua. He's stopped growing, but not his hair. He's got very tiny paws but a big head with pointed ears lol. He is also very vocal and obedient. If you know what he is, please let me know.

light brown dog with big earsWhat Breed Is My Dog?
              What Breed Is My Dog?

Looks to have Pomerainian mixed in with a Chihuahua.

Read More Answers...

October 15, 2011 Flag

Black dog with a white chest and huge stand up ears.My puppy is 5 1/2 months old. I rescued her from a shelter 2 months ago. I have no history on her. The vet at the shelter thought she was a mix of German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois. Her ears are huge but so cool. She is the smartest dog I have ever seen!
              Any thoughts? Thanx.

By mama T*

Best Answer

The vet may be on the right track. Another idea is part Pharaoh hound. http://www.dogdict.org/pharaoh-hound-18.html

Read More Answers...

April 28, 2016 Flag

I'm looking to breed my female Chihuahua with a purebred male Chihuahua, but I just want to know if she's purebred or a Min-Pin? Her ears are the only thing that look weird to me.

black dog
                Is My Chihuahua Pure Bred?

There is absolutely no way to know. That's like you asking me to look at you and tell you exactly what your heritage is, dating back centuries. I could only guess. For dogs? Even the DNA test is not 100% concrete, and doesn't "count" officially. What you'd be doing is backyard breeding. Look it up. To find a guaranteed purebred male chihuahua, he'd have to have AKC papers from a breeder. You'd have to pay his owners a fee to rent him as a stud, and also make an arrangement with the puppies. Pick of the litter, percent profit, whatever is agreeable to them. However, they're not going to waste their time with your dog, because as beautiful as she is, she doesn't have papers. That would give them a bad reputation as backyard breeders, and there's a much smaller profit there. The reason people pay more for purebred dogs is because they are dog show winners, have traceable genetics showing no health and genetic problems, and can be shown themselves. People who just want a cute family pet will rescue. Buying your puppies is no different than going to the pound and adopting something that looks like a chihuahua. Which can be done for as low as $50. Yes, people who don't know better may pay more on Craigslist or at a petstore because they don't know better, but you don't know they're going to treat your puppies right or be kind to them, or if they're going to backyard breed them themselves. Before you do this, I'd suggest you look into exactly how many chihuahuas and chihuahua puppies are out there homeless. Check out Free the chi. The chihuahua is the 2nd most overbred dog. There are hundreds of chihuahuas, many puppies, at animal controls all over the country, many on death row because people are backyard breeding and there's too many. There are costs involved as well. Food, vet care, shots, deworming. Get educated on the topic , and see if it's still something you want to do. It's possible you'll end up with 6 adult chihuahuas.

Read More Answers...

January 14, 2015 Flag
                profile of Ella

Your Pet's Age
                2

Your Pet's Breed
                Mixed

How and when did you get your pet?
                I rescued little Ella and her brother George (in his forever home) from hell in November 2012, at 6 weeks old, near death.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
                Miss Ella loves to run, loves to play with my little nephew and nieces, she snuggles at night with me and big (younger brother) Tink, everyone stops and chats when they see Ella as she gets so happy to meet new people and their fur babies.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
                Miss Ella is the most beautiful natured little girl, considering her past. She just loves to love!

playing in the waterlying down on couch

October 22, 2015 Flag

I found my dog 4 months ago when he was 45 days old in a dumpster trash. He was in bad shape. We took him to the vet and did 2 vaccinations and tommorow he will go for the third, he is good now. The vet says he is a sheep dog mix or Foxhound. I don't know because his mother was a stray dog and she went with all the other dogs maybe. It will be great if you help find what breed he is.

What Breed Is My Dog?brindle and white dog with freckles

What EVER he may be he's cute as PIE! (& he matches the tile floor, so OBVIOUSLY it's meant to be!!) He reminds me of an ol' spotted spaniel bird dog I had many years ago, with a bit of a wire haired breed thrown in for good measure- maybe Airedale? WhatVL EVER he is, he's ADORABLE!!! Have a GREAT life together!;

Read More Answers...

January 14, 2015 Flag
                  closeup

Your Pet's Age
                  14 months

Your Pet's Breed
                  Rotweiler Cross

How and when did you get your pet?
                  I was asked to take him in, from yet another violent abusive home. He was 4 months old, they had burnt his face, and a lot of horrid things. He has submissive weeing from it hence his name Tinkles (aka Mister Tinkles). Lol

What does your pet like to do for fun?
                  Tink likes to do anything I do, he loves going in the car, swimming, and going to the park, but due to his size, 40 odd kg, he's not a big runner. He loves jumping in the shower with me. He honestly just loves life!

He is the second dog I have removed from an abusive home. He has so much love for everyone, but not a fan of people in black caps! A very very trusting remarkable boy.

Tink lying downowner and Think

June 23, 2016 Flag

My aunt gave me a dog, but we forgot to ask her about it's information. It will take a long time to contact her again, because we don't have her mobile number and her home is too far from us. Please help us and thank you in advance.

closeup of light brown puppyWhat Breed Is My Dog?

June 23, 2016 Flag

The pound had her labeled as a "Bull Terrier x" and she's definitely got the nose for it. I'd originally thought she was crossed with a Staffy, but I've never seen a Staffy nor a Bull Terrier as tall and lanky as she is.
                    What do you think? Pit Bull? Some kind of Mastiff?

white dog
                      What Breed Is My Dog?

June 22, 2016 Flag

It showed up at my house a few weeks ago and I have no idea what it is. It seems to be mixed with German Shepherd.

brown puppy with black muzzle
                        What Breed Is My Dog?

June 4, 2016 Flag

I just got him today, but the lady that gave him to me didn't know anything about him, including his age or breed. The person before her didn't tell her any info. I was wondering if anybody knows his breed and age.

What Breed Is My Dog?

I have the same exact puppy and I think it's a lab

I don't know my dogs breed either and she looks the same as yours and same color and size and everything

June 21, 2016 Flag

We got a dog and were told he is a Rotti and a Cane Corso Mix (a Mastiff breed). However I don't really see either besides the obvious markings of a Rotti. Opinions please. Thank you!

black and tan dog in car
                            Load More
                            Pets Dogs Dog BreedsNovember 4, 2013
                            Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
                            Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
                            Cairn Terrier
                            Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
                            Welsh Terrier
                            Welsh Terrier Breed Information
                            Cat
                            Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
                            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 29, 2016 at 7:09:55 PM on 10.0.1.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.