Browsing: Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears

Itchy ears can drive your dog crazy. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with itchy ears.

Dog With Itchy Ears
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 27, 2015 Flag

My Westie has had ear problems in the past and still does, but not as bad! We are still treating them with what the vets have given us, but he has quite dry ears and I was wondering if there's anything I can put on the ears to keep them from cracking and getting dry? Something that doesn't irritate them?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used the olive oil and it worked immediately! Thanks for the tip!

Use organic coconut oil, it's antibacterial and will sooth the irritated skin.

Read More Answers...

September 7, 2013 Flag

Small tan and white dog.My dog is a Dachshund mix and her ears are horrid. They are red and inflamed, very scaly, and very sore. They have raw spots that are bleeding all over the inside flap of her ear. We bought her ear drops made by Sentry for ear mites, ticks, and itch relief. We give her 5 drops, two times a day, but it is still not working! Please tell me what's wrong.

By Haley. C

Get zymox ear treatment. You can order online at www.entirelypets.com and you won't be disappointed! It works and it is great. Begins to work immediately.

I agree! ZYMOX IS OVER THE COUNTER AND JUST FLUSHES AND CLEANS THE EARS GENTLY, MY VET SAYS THIS IS THE BEST THING TO DO BEFORE WASTING MONEY ON A VISIT OR ZYMAX IF U THINK THERE ARE MITES OR INFECTION. THE VET IS NOT ALWAYS THE ANSWER YOUR LOCAL PET STORE CAN BE PERFECTLY FINE FOR ADVICE AND LIKE HERE! The internet savedmy dogs life not her vet..

Read More Answers...

April 28, 2015 Flag

I have a Chihuahua puppy that will be 7 months old in a couple of weeks. Recently she started constantly scratching her left ear and then licking her toes and going right back to scratching. Is there anything, other than taking her to the vet, that I can do to help her?

GO TO THE VET!! Your puppy must depend on you for proper care for LIFE and the highest quality life. Would you ask untrained people on any web site how to treat your human child? Your Fur children deserve the same loving compassion as your human child deserves. Please take your puppy to the vet.

It is hard to say why the pup is scratching her ears, this does need a diagnosis to begin with. She licks her toes afterward because she is cleaning them of whatever is in her ear, dogs gain other information from this as well, though it is up to you to find out and help her. If you rubbed her ear with your finger and showed it to her, she would smell and lick your finger too. Dogs that scratch their ears constantly definitely have something wrong, whether it be ear mites or grass allergies. Unfortunately, this scratching can lead to a type of hematoma - the scratching can break a blood vessel, which fills the lining between the skin and the cartilage w blood. This will cause the ear to balloon up, requiring surgery which often doesn't work, and the ear will re-fill with blood. Eventually the blood will re-absorb, but this takes a long time, while the ear remains extremely painful. Once the blood does reabsorb, the dog is left permanently disfigured with what is referred to as "Boxer's ear" or "cauliflower ear", where it becomes shriveled and misshapen, which often leads to further problems since fresh air and proper cleaning become more difficult. Please find the resources to have your puppy properly diagnosed. Once done don't be afraid to ask your vet if there is an over the counter option for treatment-if there is, a good vet will tell you - most are in their profession because they love animals. If there is an alternative option a good Vet will tell you -theyd rather the animal be cared for than make an extra buck off everyone. Please have your pup seen immediately. God bless

Read More Answers...

January 26, 2015 Flag

I have a Boxer and his ears are really red and he is always scratching them. We took him to the vet and they said he doesn't have ear mites. We have tried some ear drops, but nothing seems to be helping. He also shakes his head and rubs it up against the furniture. What are some things we could do to help this redness and itching stop?

Thanks.

By Destiney D

All of the other posters are right - your vet isn't trying and needs replacing!

I raised AKC Boxers 40+years in the US before my permanent relocation to the UK. Without seeing the dog in person or a photo of the affected ears, it sounds to me as though the dog is suffering an allergy or a yeast-like fungal infection. A fungal infection isn't easy to diagnose - different fungi can have different symptoms and not many have a visible discharge or odour.

The home remedy recommended below may work, another thing to try is a very light and carefully sponged on apple cider vinegar wash - dampen the sponge and be prepared for the possibility of an unhappy reaction if the wash irritates any tiny open wounds.

But the very best solution is to find another vet ASAP - if an allergy there are excellent treatments, if a fungal infection left untreated your Boxer could go on to develop more serious problems.

I hope you'll update once a cure or treatment has been found.

We have a lab with constant ear infections. 3 vets before we got the right answer it's yeast. The ears smell a little bit like stinky feet. Lots of scratching and head shaking. Mono stat helps as does the cleaner from the vet. If it's real bad they give us a Perscription. I can usually fix it with the ear clean and Monostat.

Read More Answers...

May 3, 2011 Flag

My dog has been licking my younger dog's ears. Now they are itchy and my younger dog keeps shaking his head. Is the licking causing a problem?

By Annie from Brunswick, GA

Ear mites could be the problem but from what you have said it could also be due to your dog having a reaction to your other dog licking his ears, making them itch, scratching them and they could have become infected from the scratching. You could try bathing them with warm water and a clean tissue then applying an antiseptic cream (suitable for dogs). If this doesn't help, don't waste time, visit your vet as eardrops may be needed to clear it up. Itching ears can make life very miserable for your dog. Hope this helps, good luck to both of you. P.s. My dog suffers with her ears itching and I have to keep a close eye on them at all times and act as soon as I notice her shaking her head.

The older dog has been trying to help the younger one. Please talk to your veterinarian about this.

Read More Answers...

August 28, 2013 Flag

My dog has had ear problems since I got her. I have taken her to the vet and they gave me a wash and a solution (oil based) for after the wash. What can I use instead of going to the vet since she seems to get this every six months and it is very costly? What can I use or buy? I have white vinegar/water mixture 50/50. Isn't mineral oil also good and what do I mix that with? I'd like to prevent this from happening. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

By Jeannette

Hi there,

I always reference this article when people ask about ear infections and yeast.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/you_wonder_why.htm

A good product to have on hand for recurring ear problems is zymox - a great product! You can get ear cleaner and ear treatment. Do a google search on zymox or order at entirelypets.com - you won't be disappointed -it works!

May 12, 2013 Flag

Closeup of dog.I have a Shih tzu Pug mix who has one ear that is red and scaly. She scratches it quite often. I am looking for a home remedy. Her ears have been cleaned. There are no mites. Please help as this looks quite painful and uncomfortable.

By Kim

I would suggest two things:

First, change her diet to another food without wheat or corn or soy. The feed supply stores have food that is free of these items.

Also get some Vetricyn. It is in a blue bottle and it is a spray medication that is wonderful. It does all sorts of things. Here is what it looks like and where you can order it online.

Vetricyn: (not the ear wash)

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8& ... p;rh=n%3A2619533011%2Cp_4%3AVetricyn

It costs about 15 or so dollars at Tractor Supply which is the feed supply store where we live.

It could be a yeast infection, so I am providing a link which discusses this as well. I am never without Vetricyn since I learned about it from a wildlife rehabber several years back. If it is a yeast infection this will help it to, the Vetricyn.

Yeast infections:

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/systemic_yeast_mini_course.htm

Blessings,

Robyn

Your dog possibly has a yeast infection. Swab the area with a solution of vinegar diluted with a bit with water if it is inflamed. Continue doing this until it is cleared up. Vinegar kills yeast infections.

February 27, 2009 Flag

I am looking for a home remedy for allergies in a dog's ear. His ear tends to itch and get red. Is there something I can do other than the panalog that the vet prescribed?

Karen

I recently started my dog on omega-3 fatty acids for this same condition. The omega-3's decrease inflammation. I do believe it is allergies in my dog. So far so good, she hasn't had any more problems for a few months now. This is a powder that I get at petsmart and sprinkle on her food. It was expensive about $20.00 for the bag but I only use 1/2 tsp. each day so it will last a long time. It needs to be kept in the frig because it will get rancid if left out.

TC in MO

My 12 year old chihuahua had a bad smell in his ear. After spending money at the local vet, nothing was helping. I tried oral antibiotics, creams, yogurt (temporarily helped) and ointments. I decided to change his food supply to a brand called 'Nutro Natural Choice Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Small Bites Dog Food'. After a week, the smell was completely gone and his yeast ear infection is gone!

I wanted to share this with many of you. Please Please, try this dog food. It is a bit more costly but you will see a difference in your dogs overall smell, appearance, energy, skin and shedding.

Also, my 7 year old German Shepherd eats the same formula and he doesn't stink even after coming in from the rain. He's not itching and his shedding has stopped. Let me note that I do brush him once a week with a furminator which helps out as well.

The Dog Food contains: *Glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints

*Antioxidant protection for a healthy immune system

*All natural fortified with vitamins and minerals

Don't give up and don't let your dog suffer the effects of smelly itchy ears anymore! I try to share this bit of information with as many dog lovers as I can. . The few extra dollars a month is so well worth it!!

Thanks, Donna

Read More Answers...

March 12, 2014 Flag

Black Lab with blue collar.I have read all of the questions here and none of them quite fit our situation. My 8 year old Lab has itchy ears. The difference is they are clean and not smelly. He shakes his head and does all of the behaviors associated with an infection, but there is no redness or scaly skin. Poor guy needs some relief.

By Ginger R from TX

The solution to your Dog's "on-going" ear problem is simple. Contact your veterinarian.

My 3 year old labradoodle has the same problem - The vet looks at her ears every time we go in but doesn't see any problems. Her ears are clean but they get red and itch - even more the past couple of week. It could possible be airborne allergies since were in early June now. The vet recommended Benadryl which helps a little - but I don't really like giving it to her all the time. I know what you are going through especially when the vet can't see a problem. I will try some of the home remedies I have found online and also the recommendation for Vetricyn.

Read More Answers...

February 3, 2014 Flag

I have a Beagle puppy that is constantly scratching his ear. It seems to bother him a lot. What could be causing it?

Beagle puppy.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 28, 2014 Flag

How can I keep my dog's ears from itching?

Load More
      Pets Dogs HealthJuly 15, 2013
      A woman with itchy ears.
      Remedies for Itchy Ears
      Chihuahua puppy
      Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
      child rubbing eyes
      Remedies for Itchy Eyes
      Arm With Hives
      Remedies for Hives
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 7:04:02 PM on 10.0.0.120 in 879 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.