Browsing: Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears

Itchy ears can drive your dog crazy. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with itchy ears.

Dog With Itchy Ears
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 27, 2015 Flag

My Westie has had ear problems in the past and still does, but not as bad! We are still treating them with what the vets have given us, but he has quite dry ears and I was wondering if there's anything I can put on the ears to keep them from cracking and getting dry? Something that doesn't irritate them?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use organic coconut oil, it's antibacterial and will sooth the irritated skin.

Would the olive oil work for the entire body for his dry skin ? What do you think he is constantly itching. No fleas he gets an oatmeal bath twice a week. That's not helping. We also changed dog food thinking allergies to something in the food. So we found one that is gluten free and no colors or dies. No corn as well. But at this point nothing is helping our baby and he has itched most is his hair off and now has open wounds. Please help me if you can. Thank you Lisa

My dog has scabs on the flap of her ears. Should she be tested for heart worm?

April 16, 2015 Flag

I have a pitbull that is a year and a couple months old. Lately I've noticed that she has been shaking her head quite often. She also rubs her paws against her face. When I look in her ear I notice that it is red and feels dry. I would like a home remedy to help treat this.

By Luna

Lizzyanny is right. How can you treat "this" if you don't know what "this" is? It could be any number of things.

Yes you are right, but what's also true is that the compassionate vet cost money and without money compassion is lost,and it's unfortunate that in humans aswell as animals money is the true way to diagnos and treat anyone. So for us pet owners if at the time we can't afford to tear our arm or leg off to feed the vet believe we,ll try to seek a means of possible relief if not cure to comfort their discomfort this is why we seek answers with questions,.......For the LOVE OF OUR PETS!....R.I.P DUDE

September 7, 2013 Flag

Small tan and white dog.My dog is a Dachshund mix and her ears are horrid. They are red and inflamed, very scaly, and very sore. They have raw spots that are bleeding all over the inside flap of her ear. We bought her ear drops made by Sentry for ear mites, ticks, and itch relief. We give her 5 drops, two times a day, but it is still not working! Please tell me what's wrong.

By Haley. C

Get zymox ear treatment. You can order online at www.entirelypets.com and you won't be disappointed! It works and it is great. Begins to work immediately.

I agree! ZYMOX IS OVER THE COUNTER AND JUST FLUSHES AND CLEANS THE EARS GENTLY, MY VET SAYS THIS IS THE BEST THING TO DO BEFORE WASTING MONEY ON A VISIT OR ZYMAX IF U THINK THERE ARE MITES OR INFECTION. THE VET IS NOT ALWAYS THE ANSWER YOUR LOCAL PET STORE CAN BE PERFECTLY FINE FOR ADVICE AND LIKE HERE! The internet savedmy dogs life not her vet..

Consider getting your dog on a natural diet of raw meat and bones. That should solve the majority of your health problems. You'll see miraculous results within days. In the meantime, treat the ears topically. Just remember that the dog's body will heal itself of any ailment when you start to put in the right foods. Stop buying commercial pet foods and save money as well as the life of your pet.

April 28, 2015 Flag

I have a Chihuahua puppy that will be 7 months old in a couple of weeks. Recently she started constantly scratching her left ear and then licking her toes and going right back to scratching. Is there anything, other than taking her to the vet, that I can do to help her?

GO TO THE VET!! Your puppy must depend on you for proper care for LIFE and the highest quality life. Would you ask untrained people on any web site how to treat your human child? Your Fur children deserve the same loving compassion as your human child deserves. Please take your puppy to the vet.

I have been to 7 different vets and my dog has suffered for years and still does. Nothing cures, but what helps is raw organic apple cider vinegar (Bragg's) on a cotton ball. She puts her head on my leg a certain way when she wants it so i know it helps her.

It is hard to say why the pup is scratching her ears, this does need a diagnosis to begin with. She licks her toes afterward because she is cleaning them of whatever is in her ear, dogs gain other information from this as well, though it is up to you to find out and help her. If you rubbed her ear with your finger and showed it to her, she would smell and lick your finger too. Dogs that scratch their ears constantly definitely have something wrong, whether it be ear mites or grass allergies. Unfortunately, this scratching can lead to a type of hematoma - the scratching can break a blood vessel, which fills the lining between the skin and the cartilage w blood. This will cause the ear to balloon up, requiring surgery which often doesn't work, and the ear will re-fill with blood. Eventually the blood will re-absorb, but this takes a long time, while the ear remains extremely painful. Once the blood does reabsorb, the dog is left permanently disfigured with what is referred to as "Boxer's ear" or "cauliflower ear", where it becomes shriveled and misshapen, which often leads to further problems since fresh air and proper cleaning become more difficult. Please find the resources to have your puppy properly diagnosed. Once done don't be afraid to ask your vet if there is an over the counter option for treatment-if there is, a good vet will tell you - most are in their profession because they love animals. If there is an alternative option a good Vet will tell you -theyd rather the animal be cared for than make an extra buck off everyone. Please have your pup seen immediately. God bless

January 26, 2015 Flag

I have a Boxer and his ears are really red and he is always scratching them. We took him to the vet and they said he doesn't have ear mites. We have tried some ear drops, but nothing seems to be helping. He also shakes his head and rubs it up against the furniture. What are some things we could do to help this redness and itching stop?

Thanks.

By Destiney D

You may try a home remedy solution like the one suggested. But, in the meantime, get another vet. This one is not even trying.

All of the other posters are right - your vet isn't trying and needs replacing!

I raised AKC Boxers 40+years in the US before my permanent relocation to the UK. Without seeing the dog in person or a photo of the affected ears, it sounds to me as though the dog is suffering an allergy or a yeast-like fungal infection. A fungal infection isn't easy to diagnose - different fungi can have different symptoms and not many have a visible discharge or odour.

The home remedy recommended below may work, another thing to try is a very light and carefully sponged on apple cider vinegar wash - dampen the sponge and be prepared for the possibility of an unhappy reaction if the wash irritates any tiny open wounds.

But the very best solution is to find another vet ASAP - if an allergy there are excellent treatments, if a fungal infection left untreated your Boxer could go on to develop more serious problems.

I hope you'll update once a cure or treatment has been found.

We have a lab with constant ear infections. 3 vets before we got the right answer it's yeast. The ears smell a little bit like stinky feet. Lots of scratching and head shaking. Mono stat helps as does the cleaner from the vet. If it's real bad they give us a Perscription. I can usually fix it with the ear clean and Monostat.

August 28, 2013 Flag

My dog has had ear problems since I got her. I have taken her to the vet and they gave me a wash and a solution (oil based) for after the wash. What can I use instead of going to the vet since she seems to get this every six months and it is very costly?

May 3, 2011 Flag

My dog has been licking my younger dog's ears. Now they are itchy and my younger dog keeps shaking his head. Is the licking causing a problem?

February 27, 2009 Flag

I am looking for a home remedy for allergies in a dog's ear. His ear tends to itch and get red. Is there something I can do other than the panalog that the vet prescribed?

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthJuly 15, 2013
A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes
Arm With Hives
Remedies for Hives
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:22:24 AM on 10.0.1.17 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.