Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears

Itchy ears can drive your dog crazy. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with itchy ears.

December 27, 2015 Flag

My Westie has had ear problems in the past and still does, but not as bad! We are still treating them with what the vets have given us, but he has quite dry ears and I was wondering if there's anything I can put on the ears to keep them from cracking and getting dry? Something that doesn't irritate them?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hello,

My Cocker was having issues with dry flaky skin and scabs. I started rubbing coconut oil on the affected areas one a day or every other day, and the scabs went away.

My dog has scabs on the flap of her ears. Should she be tested for heart worm?

Im unsure what those signs are but if you are worried about your dog having heart worms get them tested immediately. Its very common for dogs and cats to have heartworms on reservations and in cities. Its a $40 test but the treatment cost varies with where you live. Our girl had heartworms. She is a small dog so the damage was large. She was left out behind a landfill, we found her and took her in when she was 4. She has undergone treatment and crate rest. She deserved better. If you don't already have your dog on a heartworm prevention, I recommend it to keep your dog safe. It was very tough finding out she had suffered not just from a bad previous owner but also from multiple organ tearing parasites. Get your dog tested. It is worth paying for a "snap test" to have the peace of mind knowing your animal is safe.

Read More Answers...

April 16, 2015 Flag

I have a pitbull that is a year and a couple months old. Lately I've noticed that she has been shaking her head quite often. She also rubs her paws against her face. When I look in her ear I notice that it is red and feels dry. I would like a home remedy to help treat this.

By Luna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes you are right, but what's also true is that the compassionate vet cost money and without money compassion is lost,and it's unfortunate that in humans aswell as animals money is the true way to diagnos and treat anyone. So for us pet owners if at the time we can't afford to tear our arm or leg off to feed the vet believe we,ll try to seek a means of possible relief if not cure to comfort their discomfort this is why we seek answers with questions,.......For the LOVE OF OUR PETS!....R.I.P DUDE

My old dog had terrible problems with ear infections. I spent a fortune on vet bills. Medications would help a little, but the infections would immediately come back. The vet was talking to me about surgery, which was beyond my means. I looked for an alternative and found that mixing a solution of half water and half vinegar, and using an eye dropper to put a few drops in her ears morning and night put an end to the problem. It works best if you start after the infection has been treated. But I also found that since what the vet gave me did not work well, there are some alternative ear medications I found on Amazon. They worked better, but you may not need that. My current dog was acting similarly lately, shaking his head and pawing at his ear. I used some of the vinegar solution right away and he stopped. For my old dog I had to make this a daily routine, but for my current dog it only took a couple of treatments, so I guess it depends on how advanced it is and how susceptible the dog is to ear infections. The older dog was a Crocker Spaniel and they are prone to these problems. Give it a try. It can do no harm. Hope it helps.

I have a American Stratfordshire terrier that is about a year and a half that has hot itchy ears what can I do

Read More Answers...

September 7, 2013 Flag

My dog is a Dachshund mix and her ears are horrid. They are red and inflamed, very scaly, and very sore. They have raw spots that are bleeding all over the inside flap of her ear. We bought her ear drops made by Sentry for ear mites, ticks, and itch relief. We give her 5 drops, two times a day, but it is still not working! Please tell me what's wrong.

By Haley. C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get zymox ear treatment. You can order online at www.entirelypets.com and you won't be disappointed! It works and it is great. Begins to work immediately.

I agree! ZYMOX IS OVER THE COUNTER AND JUST FLUSHES AND CLEANS THE EARS GENTLY, MY VET SAYS THIS IS THE BEST THING TO DO BEFORE WASTING MONEY ON A VISIT OR ZYMAX IF U THINK THERE ARE MITES OR INFECTION. THE VET IS NOT ALWAYS THE ANSWER YOUR LOCAL PET STORE CAN BE PERFECTLY FINE FOR ADVICE AND LIKE HERE! The internet savedmy dogs life not her vet..

Consider getting your dog on a natural diet of raw meat and bones. That should solve the majority of your health problems. You'll see miraculous results within days. In the meantime, treat the ears topically. Just remember that the dog's body will heal itself of any ailment when you start to put in the right foods. Stop buying commercial pet foods and save money as well as the life of your pet.

Read More Answers...

April 28, 2015 Flag

I have a Chihuahua puppy that will be 7 months old in a couple of weeks. Recently she started constantly scratching her left ear and then licking her toes and going right back to scratching. Is there anything, other than taking her to the vet, that I can do to help her?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

GO TO THE VET!! Your puppy must depend on you for proper care for LIFE and the highest quality life. Would you ask untrained people on any web site how to treat your human child? Your Fur children deserve the same loving compassion as your human child deserves. Please take your puppy to the vet.

I have been to 7 different vets and my dog has suffered for years and still does. Nothing cures, but what helps is raw organic apple cider vinegar (Bragg's) on a cotton ball. She puts her head on my leg a certain way when she wants it so i know it helps her.

It is hard to say why the pup is scratching her ears, this does need a diagnosis to begin with. She licks her toes afterward because she is cleaning them of whatever is in her ear, dogs gain other information from this as well, though it is up to you to find out and help her. If you rubbed her ear with your finger and showed it to her, she would smell and lick your finger too. Dogs that scratch their ears constantly definitely have something wrong, whether it be ear mites or grass allergies. Unfortunately, this scratching can lead to a type of hematoma - the scratching can break a blood vessel, which fills the lining between the skin and the cartilage w blood. This will cause the ear to balloon up, requiring surgery which often doesn't work, and the ear will re-fill with blood. Eventually the blood will re-absorb, but this takes a long time, while the ear remains extremely painful. Once the blood does reabsorb, the dog is left permanently disfigured with what is referred to as "Boxer's ear" or "cauliflower ear", where it becomes shriveled and misshapen, which often leads to further problems since fresh air and proper cleaning become more difficult. Please find the resources to have your puppy properly diagnosed. Once done don't be afraid to ask your vet if there is an over the counter option for treatment-if there is, a good vet will tell you - most are in their profession because they love animals. If there is an alternative option a good Vet will tell you -theyd rather the animal be cared for than make an extra buck off everyone. Please have your pup seen immediately. God bless

Read More Answers...

August 28, 2013 Flag

My dog has had ear problems since I got her. I have taken her to the vet and they gave me a wash and a solution (oil based) for after the wash. What can I use instead of going to the vet since she seems to get this every six months and it is very costly? What can I use or buy? I have white vinegar/water mixture 50/50. Isn't mineral oil also good and what do I mix that with? I'd like to prevent this from happening. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

By Jeannette

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The infection could be either bacterial or fungal. The Zymox may work and it is over the counter so it is not as expensive as the vet. Another alternative that worked for my dog is a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and rubbing alcohol. The vinegar targets fungus and the alcohol targets bacteria. Since you don't know which is causing the problem, use the 50/50 solution. Use it as a gentle wash or with a fluffy cotton ball to gently wipe away in the ear. Afterwards, I coat inside the ears with coconut oil...just pure coconut oil (which is solid at room temperature and looks more like shortening). I use a make-up pad to apply the coconut oil. Incidentally, the coconut oil is also good to put a thin film on their noses to prevent drying and cracking in the winter from dry heat and I also put a bit in their food for a healthy coat and to moisturize their skin. Hope this will work for you. It does wonders for my Jacks and Chihuahua.

It could be the food you are feeding it. My dog always ended up with yeast infections and was going to the vet all the time then I changed his food from aims to from and I never went back to vets for that again.

I have a year 1/2 old mix.. Poodle and Norfolk Terrier. I treat the fleas every month with Frontline, but she is constantly scratching her ears, then lick her paws! I have used equal parts water,Viniger & Tea Tree Oil (from a health food store)

Read More Answers...

January 26, 2015 Flag

I have a Boxer and his ears are really red and he is always scratching them. We took him to the vet and they said he doesn't have ear mites. We have tried some ear drops, but nothing seems to be helping. He also shakes his head and rubs it up against the furniture. What are some things we could do to help this redness and itching stop?

Thanks.

By Destiney D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may try a home remedy solution like the one suggested. But, in the meantime, get another vet. This one is not even trying.

All of the other posters are right - your vet isn't trying and needs replacing!

I raised AKC Boxers 40+years in the US before my permanent relocation to the UK. Without seeing the dog in person or a photo of the affected ears, it sounds to me as though the dog is suffering an allergy or a yeast-like fungal infection. A fungal infection isn't easy to diagnose - different fungi can have different symptoms and not many have a visible discharge or odour.

The home remedy recommended below may work, another thing to try is a very light and carefully sponged on apple cider vinegar wash - dampen the sponge and be prepared for the possibility of an unhappy reaction if the wash irritates any tiny open wounds.

But the very best solution is to find another vet ASAP - if an allergy there are excellent treatments, if a fungal infection left untreated your Boxer could go on to develop more serious problems.

I hope you'll update once a cure or treatment has been found.

We have a lab with constant ear infections. 3 vets before we got the right answer it's yeast. The ears smell a little bit like stinky feet. Lots of scratching and head shaking. Mono stat helps as does the cleaner from the vet. If it's real bad they give us a Perscription. I can usually fix it with the ear clean and Monostat.

Read More Answers...

May 3, 2011 Flag

My dog has been licking my younger dog's ears. Now they are itchy and my younger dog keeps shaking his head. Is the licking causing a problem?

By Annie from Brunswick, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ear mites could be the problem but from what you have said it could also be due to your dog having a reaction to your other dog licking his ears, making them itch, scratching them and they could have become infected from the scratching. You could try bathing them with warm water and a clean tissue then applying an antiseptic cream (suitable for dogs). If this doesn't help, don't waste time, visit your vet as eardrops may be needed to clear it up. Itching ears can make life very miserable for your dog. Hope this helps, good luck to both of you. P.s. My dog suffers with her ears itching and I have to keep a close eye on them at all times and act as soon as I notice her shaking her head.

The older dog has been trying to help the younger one. Please talk to your veterinarian about this.

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2009 Flag

I am looking for a home remedy for allergies in a dog's ear. His ear tends to itch and get red. Is there something I can do other than the panalog that the vet prescribed?

Karen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

hey try ecualyptyse oil> spelling prob. wrong or use tee tree oil swap w/ cotton ball!

I recently started my dog on omega-3 fatty acids for this same condition. The omega-3's decrease inflammation. I do believe it is allergies in my dog. So far so good, she hasn't had any more problems for a few months now. This is a powder that I get at petsmart and sprinkle on her food. It was expensive about $20.00 for the bag but I only use 1/2 tsp. each day so it will last a long time. It needs to be kept in the frig because it will get rancid if left out.

TC in MO

My 12 year old chihuahua had a bad smell in his ear. After spending money at the local vet, nothing was helping. I tried oral antibiotics, creams, yogurt (temporarily helped) and ointments. I decided to change his food supply to a brand called 'Nutro Natural Choice Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Small Bites Dog Food'. After a week, the smell was completely gone and his yeast ear infection is gone!

I wanted to share this with many of you. Please Please, try this dog food. It is a bit more costly but you will see a difference in your dogs overall smell, appearance, energy, skin and shedding.

Also, my 7 year old German Shepherd eats the same formula and he doesn't stink even after coming in from the rain. He's not itching and his shedding has stopped. Let me note that I do brush him once a week with a furminator which helps out as well.

The Dog Food contains: *Glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints

*Antioxidant protection for a healthy immune system

*All natural fortified with vitamins and minerals

Don't give up and don't let your dog suffer the effects of smelly itchy ears anymore! I try to share this bit of information with as many dog lovers as I can. . The few extra dollars a month is so well worth it!!

Thanks, Donna

Read More Answers...

May 12, 2013 Flag

I have a Shih tzu Pug mix who has one ear that is red and scaly. She scratches it quite often. I am looking for a home remedy. Her ears have been cleaned. There are no mites. Please help as this looks quite painful and uncomfortable.

Closeup of dog.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 12, 2014 Flag

I have read all of the questions here and none of them quite fit our situation. My 8 year old Lab has itchy ears. The difference is they are clean and not smelly. He shakes his head and does all of the behaviors associated with an infection, but there is no redness or scaly skin.

Black Lab with blue collar.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs HealthJuly 15, 2013
A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes
Arm With Hives
Remedies for Hives
🎉
🎄