Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears

Category Health
Itchy ears can drive your dog crazy. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with itchy ears.

My Westie has had ear problems in the past and still does, but not as bad! We are still treating them with what the vets have given us, but he has quite dry ears and I was wondering if there's anything I can put on the ears to keep them from cracking and getting dry? Something that doesn't irritate them?

Best Answer

Hello,

My Cocker was having issues with dry flaky skin and scabs. I started rubbing coconut oil on the affected areas one a day or every other day, and the scabs went away.

Coconut oil works real good for my boxer u can get a big bottle at Costco a big bottle is only 10 dollars it usually works after 2 treatment u massage it in their ears it works real good I live by that treatment with all my dogs it's all natural so won't hurt them

We have a Lab/Husky mix. Our baby is 1 and half years old and recently has started scratching her left ear. We just thought it was the seasons, our Pit/mix does the same. The other day we noticed that the hair on the outer ear was getting thin.

Since she was raised with our other one she has developed her character and does attack people, so the vet is out. We have read about using vinegar and water 50/50. My youngest son does this 4× a day, but with a large syringe not a dropper. Now since we are using the syringe are we using too much each time. Is that harming her? Should we change to the dropper? We appreciate all of you who prefer home remedies for your pets when possible. I had a Rot who we raised that developed a bad reaction to a vet's treatment and a male also we lost the male quite quickly, but the female lasted a month. It was a horrible time, so thanks again.

It would be best if you carry your pet to the vet and maybe determine what the underlying problem might be. The vet should be able to help with information about a home remedy to try as well as prescription meds.

There are some good meds to try if you think the problem could be allergies.

You can at least read some comments from vets about solutions:

Zymox is one med sometimes recommended.

http://www.vete  aritin-for-dogs/

http://www.vall  -pet-allergy.pdf

It needs to go to the vet. Lots of things cause scratching such as mites, allergies, yeast infection....

And each is treated differently

My dog is a Dachshund mix and her ears are horrid. They are red and inflamed, very scaly, and very sore. They have raw spots that are bleeding all over the inside flap of her ear. We bought her ear drops made by Sentry for ear mites, ticks, and itch relief. We give her 5 drops, two times a day, but it is still not working! Please tell me what's wrong.

By Haley. C

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Anonymous

Consider getting your dog on a natural diet of raw meat and bones. That should solve the majority of your health problems. You'll see miraculous results within days. In the meantime, treat the ears topically. Just remember that the dog's body will heal itself of any ailment when you start to put in the right foods. Stop buying commercial pet foods and save money as well as the life of your pet.

Try using coconut oil. I have been using it on my dogs ears and it seems to be working.

Her puppy had some scabs from itching and they were gone within days.

My dog has had ear problems since I got her. I have taken her to the vet and they gave me a wash and a solution (oil based) for after the wash. What can I use instead of going to the vet since she seems to get this every six months and it is very costly? What can I use or buy? I have white vinegar/water mixture 50/50. Isn't mineral oil also good and what do I mix that with? I'd like to prevent this from happening. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

By Jeannette

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

The infection could be either bacterial or fungal. The Zymox may work and it is over the counter so it is not as expensive as the vet. Another alternative that worked for my dog is a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and rubbing alcohol. The vinegar targets fungus and the alcohol targets bacteria. Since you don't know which is causing the problem, use the 50/50 solution. Use it as a gentle wash or with a fluffy cotton ball to gently wipe away in the ear. Afterwards, I coat inside the ears with coconut oil...just pure coconut oil (which is solid at room temperature and looks more like shortening). I use a make-up pad to apply the coconut oil. Incidentally, the coconut oil is also good to put a thin film on their noses to prevent drying and cracking in the winter from dry heat and I also put a bit in their food for a healthy coat and to moisturize their skin. Hope this will work for you. It does wonders for my Jacks and Chihuahua.

It could be the food you are feeding it. My dog always ended up with yeast infections and was going to the vet all the time then I changed his food from aims to from and I never went back to vets for that again.

My dog has been licking my younger dog's ears. Now they are itchy and my younger dog keeps shaking his head. Is the licking causing a problem?

By Annie from Brunswick, GA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Ear mites could be the problem but from what you have said it could also be due to your dog having a reaction to your other dog licking his ears, making them itch, scratching them and they could have become infected from the scratching. You could try bathing them with warm water and a clean tissue then applying an antiseptic cream (suitable for dogs). If this doesn't help, don't waste time, visit your vet as eardrops may be needed to clear it up. Itching ears can make life very miserable for your dog. Hope this helps, good luck to both of you. P.s. My dog suffers with her ears itching and I have to keep a close eye on them at all times and act as soon as I notice her shaking her head.

I have a pitbull that is a year and a couple months old. Lately I've noticed that she has been shaking her head quite often. She also rubs her paws against her face. When I look in her ear I notice that it is red and feels dry. I would like a home remedy to help treat this.

By Luna

Coconut oil 100 percent works

I have a am staffordshire n his one ear has dry skin we just notice lastnight how can I stop it

I have a Chihuahua puppy that will be 7 months old in a couple of weeks. Recently she started constantly scratching her left ear and then licking her toes and going right back to scratching. Is there anything, other than taking her to the vet, that I can do to help her?

GO TO THE VET!! Your puppy must depend on you for proper care for LIFE and the highest quality life. Would you ask untrained people on any web site how to treat your human child? Your Fur children deserve the same loving compassion as your human child deserves. Please take your puppy to the vet.

Anonymous

I have been to 7 different vets and my dog has suffered for years and still does. Nothing cures, but what helps is raw organic apple cider vinegar (Bragg's) on a cotton ball. She puts her head on my leg a certain way when she wants it so i know it helps her.

I have a Boxer and his ears are really red and he is always scratching them. We took him to the vet and they said he doesn't have ear mites. We have tried some ear drops, but nothing seems to be helping. He also shakes his head and rubs it up against the furniture. What are some things we could do to help this redness and itching stop?

Thanks.

By Destiney D

You may try a home remedy solution like the one suggested. But, in the meantime, get another vet. This one is not even trying.

All of the other posters are right - your vet isn't trying and needs replacing!

I raised AKC Boxers 40+years in the US before my permanent relocation to the UK. Without seeing the dog in person or a photo of the affected ears, it sounds to me as though the dog is suffering an allergy or a yeast-like fungal infection. A fungal infection isn't easy to diagnose - different fungi can have different symptoms and not many have a visible discharge or odour.

The home remedy recommended below may work, another thing to try is a very light and carefully sponged on apple cider vinegar wash - dampen the sponge and be prepared for the possibility of an unhappy reaction if the wash irritates any tiny open wounds.

But the very best solution is to find another vet ASAP - if an allergy there are excellent treatments, if a fungal infection left untreated your Boxer could go on to develop more serious problems.

I hope you'll update once a cure or treatment has been found.

I have a Shih tzu Pug mix who has one ear that is red and scaly. She scratches it quite often. I am looking for a home remedy. Her ears have been cleaned. There are no mites. Please help as this looks quite painful and uncomfortable.

By Kim

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I would suggest two things:

First, change her diet to another food without wheat or corn or soy. The feed supply stores have food that is free of these items.

Also get some Vetricyn. It is in a blue bottle and it is a spray medication that is wonderful. It does all sorts of things. Here is what it looks like and where you can order it online.

Vetricyn: (not the ear wash)

http://www.amaz  2Cp_4%3AVetricyn

It costs about 15 or so dollars at Tractor Supply which is the feed supply store where we live.

It could be a yeast infection, so I am providing a link which discusses this as well. I am never without Vetricyn since I learned about it from a wildlife rehabber several years back. If it is a yeast infection this will help it to, the Vetricyn.

Yeast infections:

http://www.grea  _mini_course.htm

Blessings,

Robyn

Your dog possibly has a yeast infection. Swab the area with a solution of vinegar diluted with a bit with water if it is inflamed. Continue doing this until it is cleared up. Vinegar kills yeast infections.

I am looking for a home remedy for allergies in a dog's ear. His ear tends to itch and get red. Is there something I can do other than the panalog that the vet prescribed?

Karen

hey try ecualyptyse oil> spelling prob. wrong or use tee tree oil swap w/ cotton ball!

I recently started my dog on omega-3 fatty acids for this same condition. The omega-3's decrease inflammation. I do believe it is allergies in my dog. So far so good, she hasn't had any more problems for a few months now. This is a powder that I get at petsmart and sprinkle on her food. It was expensive about $20.00 for the bag but I only use 1/2 tsp. each day so it will last a long time. It needs to be kept in the frig because it will get rancid if left out.

TC in MO

I have read all of the questions here and none of them quite fit our situation. My 8 year old Lab has itchy ears. The difference is they are clean and not smelly. He shakes his head and does all of the behaviors associated with an infection, but there is no redness or scaly skin. Poor guy needs some relief.

By Ginger R from TX

The answer to your Dog's "on-going" problem is simple. Consult your VETERINARIAN before this poor boy shakes his ears into a Hematoma.

The solution to your Dog's "on-going" ear problem is simple. Contact your veterinarian.

I have a Beagle puppy that is constantly scratching his ear. It seems to bother him a lot. What could be causing it?

By Adriana R

Could be ear mites or an ear infection. Please take the sweet baby to the vet.

Try hydrogen peroxide or witch hazel in his ear. My dog, a beagle, does not tolerate either of those being put into his ear. He growls etc. I have taken him to the vet many, many times. Finally a new vet suggested a better diet with limited ingredients. I have gradually taken him off all Purina products and put him on the Nutro diet. Nutro is more expensive, but he needs less of it. His ear has been improving and it is almost fully healed.

Good luck.

How can I keep my dog's ears from itching?

By Tom K

Blue Power Ear Wash works great on my long ear pets.

Ingredients are inexpensive and can be purchased at Walmart pharmacy: 16 drops gentian violet, 4 level tablespoons boric acid powder and 1 bottle isopropyl rubbing alcohol. (I like the green as it smells great) Shake all into the bottle before each use and with cotton ball, absorb it full and wash inner ears allowing solution to go into dog's ears. Massage ears for a minute or more. You can learn more about how to use on thrify fun if you do a search for Blue Power Ear Wash.

Could he possibly have ear mites? My cat was scratching her ears and when I took her to the vet, I found out she had ear mites. They gave me drops for her.

How do you relieve dry skin in a dog's ears? His ears are dry inside and out. I clean them all the time because he scratches the side of his face until it bleeds! Any suggestions would be great.

When his ears start to bother him, what can I use to relieve the pain? We can't get to his vet right away.

Load More