Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears

Itchy ears can drive your dog crazy. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with itchy ears.

December 27, 2015 Flag

My Westie has had ear problems in the past and still does, but not as bad! We are still treating them with what the vets have given us, but he has quite dry ears and I was wondering if there's anything I can put on the ears to keep them from cracking and getting dry? Something that doesn't irritate them?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hello,

My Cocker was having issues with dry flaky skin and scabs. I started rubbing coconut oil on the affected areas one a day or every other day, and the scabs went away.

My dog has scabs on the flap of her ears. Should she be tested for heart worm?

April 16, 2015 Flag

I have a pitbull that is a year and a couple months old. Lately I've noticed that she has been shaking her head quite often. She also rubs her paws against her face. When I look in her ear I notice that it is red and feels dry. I would like a home remedy to help treat this.

By Luna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes you are right, but what's also true is that the compassionate vet cost money and without money compassion is lost,and it's unfortunate that in humans aswell as animals money is the true way to diagnos and treat anyone. So for us pet owners if at the time we can't afford to tear our arm or leg off to feed the vet believe we,ll try to seek a means of possible relief if not cure to comfort their discomfort this is why we seek answers with questions,.......For the LOVE OF OUR PETS!....R.I.P DUDE

My old dog had terrible problems with ear infections. I spent a fortune on vet bills. Medications would help a little, but the infections would immediately come back. The vet was talking to me about surgery, which was beyond my means. I looked for an alternative and found that mixing a solution of half water and half vinegar, and using an eye dropper to put a few drops in her ears morning and night put an end to the problem. It works best if you start after the infection has been treated. But I also found that since what the vet gave me did not work well, there are some alternative ear medications I found on Amazon. They worked better, but you may not need that. My current dog was acting similarly lately, shaking his head and pawing at his ear. I used some of the vinegar solution right away and he stopped. For my old dog I had to make this a daily routine, but for my current dog it only took a couple of treatments, so I guess it depends on how advanced it is and how susceptible the dog is to ear infections. The older dog was a Crocker Spaniel and they are prone to these problems. Give it a try. It can do no harm. Hope it helps.

September 7, 2013 Flag

My dog is a Dachshund mix and her ears are horrid. They are red and inflamed, very scaly, and very sore. They have raw spots that are bleeding all over the inside flap of her ear. We bought her ear drops made by Sentry for ear mites, ticks, and itch relief. We give her 5 drops, two times a day, but it is still not working! Please tell me what's wrong.

By Haley. C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get zymox ear treatment. You can order online at www.entirelypets.com and you won't be disappointed! It works and it is great. Begins to work immediately.

I agree! ZYMOX IS OVER THE COUNTER AND JUST FLUSHES AND CLEANS THE EARS GENTLY, MY VET SAYS THIS IS THE BEST THING TO DO BEFORE WASTING MONEY ON A VISIT OR ZYMAX IF U THINK THERE ARE MITES OR INFECTION. THE VET IS NOT ALWAYS THE ANSWER YOUR LOCAL PET STORE CAN BE PERFECTLY FINE FOR ADVICE AND LIKE HERE! The internet savedmy dogs life not her vet..

April 28, 2015 Flag

I have a Chihuahua puppy that will be 7 months old in a couple of weeks. Recently she started constantly scratching her left ear and then licking her toes and going right back to scratching. Is there anything, other than taking her to the vet, that I can do to help her?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

GO TO THE VET!! Your puppy must depend on you for proper care for LIFE and the highest quality life. Would you ask untrained people on any web site how to treat your human child? Your Fur children deserve the same loving compassion as your human child deserves. Please take your puppy to the vet.

I have been to 7 different vets and my dog has suffered for years and still does. Nothing cures, but what helps is raw organic apple cider vinegar (Bragg's) on a cotton ball. She puts her head on my leg a certain way when she wants it so i know it helps her.

August 28, 2013 Flag

My dog has had ear problems since I got her. I have taken her to the vet and they gave me a wash and a solution (oil based) for after the wash. What can I use instead of going to the vet since she seems to get this every six months and it is very costly? What can I use or buy? I have white vinegar/water mixture 50/50. Isn't mineral oil also good and what do I mix that with? I'd like to prevent this from happening. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

By Jeannette

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The infection could be either bacterial or fungal. The Zymox may work and it is over the counter so it is not as expensive as the vet. Another alternative that worked for my dog is a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and rubbing alcohol. The vinegar targets fungus and the alcohol targets bacteria. Since you don't know which is causing the problem, use the 50/50 solution. Use it as a gentle wash or with a fluffy cotton ball to gently wipe away in the ear. Afterwards, I coat inside the ears with coconut oil...just pure coconut oil (which is solid at room temperature and looks more like shortening). I use a make-up pad to apply the coconut oil. Incidentally, the coconut oil is also good to put a thin film on their noses to prevent drying and cracking in the winter from dry heat and I also put a bit in their food for a healthy coat and to moisturize their skin. Hope this will work for you. It does wonders for my Jacks and Chihuahua.

It could be the food you are feeding it. My dog always ended up with yeast infections and was going to the vet all the time then I changed his food from aims to from and I never went back to vets for that again.

January 26, 2015 Flag

I have a Boxer and his ears are really red and he is always scratching them. We took him to the vet and they said he doesn't have ear mites. We have tried some ear drops, but nothing seems to be helping. He also shakes his head and rubs it up against the furniture. What are some things we could do to help this redness and itching stop?

Thanks.

By Destiney D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may try a home remedy solution like the one suggested. But, in the meantime, get another vet. This one is not even trying.

All of the other posters are right - your vet isn't trying and needs replacing!

I raised AKC Boxers 40+years in the US before my permanent relocation to the UK. Without seeing the dog in person or a photo of the affected ears, it sounds to me as though the dog is suffering an allergy or a yeast-like fungal infection. A fungal infection isn't easy to diagnose - different fungi can have different symptoms and not many have a visible discharge or odour.

The home remedy recommended below may work, another thing to try is a very light and carefully sponged on apple cider vinegar wash - dampen the sponge and be prepared for the possibility of an unhappy reaction if the wash irritates any tiny open wounds.

But the very best solution is to find another vet ASAP - if an allergy there are excellent treatments, if a fungal infection left untreated your Boxer could go on to develop more serious problems.

I hope you'll update once a cure or treatment has been found.

May 3, 2011 Flag

My dog has been licking my younger dog's ears. Now they are itchy and my younger dog keeps shaking his head. Is the licking causing a problem?

By Annie from Brunswick, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ear mites could be the problem but from what you have said it could also be due to your dog having a reaction to your other dog licking his ears, making them itch, scratching them and they could have become infected from the scratching. You could try bathing them with warm water and a clean tissue then applying an antiseptic cream (suitable for dogs). If this doesn't help, don't waste time, visit your vet as eardrops may be needed to clear it up. Itching ears can make life very miserable for your dog. Hope this helps, good luck to both of you. P.s. My dog suffers with her ears itching and I have to keep a close eye on them at all times and act as soon as I notice her shaking her head.

February 27, 2009 Flag

I am looking for a home remedy for allergies in a dog's ear. His ear tends to itch and get red. Is there something I can do other than the panalog that the vet prescribed?

Karen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

hey try ecualyptyse oil> spelling prob. wrong or use tee tree oil swap w/ cotton ball!

I recently started my dog on omega-3 fatty acids for this same condition. The omega-3's decrease inflammation. I do believe it is allergies in my dog. So far so good, she hasn't had any more problems for a few months now. This is a powder that I get at petsmart and sprinkle on her food. It was expensive about $20.00 for the bag but I only use 1/2 tsp. each day so it will last a long time. It needs to be kept in the frig because it will get rancid if left out.

TC in MO

May 12, 2013 Flag

I have a Shih tzu Pug mix who has one ear that is red and scaly. She scratches it quite often. I am looking for a home remedy. Her ears have been cleaned. There are no mites. Please help as this looks quite painful and uncomfortable.

By Kim

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would suggest two things:

First, change her diet to another food without wheat or corn or soy. The feed supply stores have food that is free of these items.

Also get some Vetricyn. It is in a blue bottle and it is a spray medication that is wonderful. It does all sorts of things. Here is what it looks like and where you can order it online.

Vetricyn: (not the ear wash)

http://www.amaz … 2Cp_4%3AVetricyn

It costs about 15 or so dollars at Tractor Supply which is the feed supply store where we live.

It could be a yeast infection, so I am providing a link which discusses this as well. I am never without Vetricyn since I learned about it from a wildlife rehabber several years back. If it is a yeast infection this will help it to, the Vetricyn.

Yeast infections:

http://www.grea … _mini_course.htm

Blessings,

Robyn

Your dog possibly has a yeast infection. Swab the area with a solution of vinegar diluted with a bit with water if it is inflamed. Continue doing this until it is cleared up. Vinegar kills yeast infections.

March 12, 2014 Flag

I have read all of the questions here and none of them quite fit our situation. My 8 year old Lab has itchy ears. The difference is they are clean and not smelly. He shakes his head and does all of the behaviors associated with an infection, but there is no redness or scaly skin. Poor guy needs some relief.

By Ginger R from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The answer to your Dog's "on-going" problem is simple. Consult your VETERINARIAN before this poor boy shakes his ears into a Hematoma.

The solution to your Dog's "on-going" ear problem is simple. Contact your veterinarian.

February 3, 2014 Flag

I have a Beagle puppy that is constantly scratching his ear. It seems to bother him a lot. What could be causing it?

By Adriana R

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Could be ear mites or an ear infection. Please take the sweet baby to the vet.

Try hydrogen peroxide or witch hazel in his ear. My dog, a beagle, does not tolerate either of those being put into his ear. He growls etc. I have taken him to the vet many, many times. Finally a new vet suggested a better diet with limited ingredients. I have gradually taken him off all Purina products and put him on the Nutro diet. Nutro is more expensive, but he needs less of it. His ear has been improving and it is almost fully healed.

Good luck.

September 28, 2014 Flag

How can I keep my dog's ears from itching?

By Tom K

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Blue Power Ear Wash works great on my long ear pets.

Ingredients are inexpensive and can be purchased at Walmart pharmacy: 16 drops gentian violet, 4 level tablespoons boric acid powder and 1 bottle isopropyl rubbing alcohol. (I like the green as it smells great) Shake all into the bottle before each use and with cotton ball, absorb it full and wash inner ears allowing solution to go into dog's ears. Massage ears for a minute or more. You can learn more about how to use on thrify fun if you do a search for Blue Power Ear Wash.

Could he possibly have ear mites? My cat was scratching her ears and when I took her to the vet, I found out she had ear mites. They gave me drops for her.

August 24, 2011 Flag

How do you relieve dry skin in a dog's ears? His ears are dry inside and out. I clean them all the time because he scratches the side of his face until it bleeds! Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

By Stephanie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You keep saying the same thing. Most people come on these sites because vets are so expensive. Also vet medicine like people medicine can often by replaced by inexpensive, gentle, home treatments.

Um, no disrespect, but this is where people come to ask for guidance from other pet owners. If they all wanted to call a damn vet, they'd not be asking.

April 9, 2014 Flag

When his ears start to bother him, what can I use to relieve the pain? We can't get to his vet right away.

By Sarah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you considered asking the Vet to make a "house call"?

You people answering these questions are just plain hateful. This is supposed to be a place pet owners can ask questions, not to be told they aren't taking care of their animals bc they have questions. The only help to be had here, minus a precious few helpful folks, is to take your dog to the vet. It is not always an immediate option,and house call vets? If you can find one who will actually come to you, for a small pet, you'll have to take out a loan to pay the fees. If you can only tell people to go to the vet, what good is a site that makes people feel bad for asking a simple question?! All you hateful meanies, you know who you are, should be ashamed of yourselves.

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthJuly 15, 2013
A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes
Arm With Hives
Remedies for Hives
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 8:59:02 AM on 10.0.2.240 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.