Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Recipes Using Zucchini

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Zucchini on White Background

Summertime can bring an abundance of this summer squash. This page contains recipes using zucchini.

Solutions: Recipes Using Zucchini

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recipe: Summer Squash

Love vegetables from the garden!

• 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 cups yellow squash or zucchini (or mixed) unpeeled
  • 1/2 cup sliced onion
  • 1 medium tomato (cut in 1/2 inch cubes)
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and/or 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. basil
  • 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper

Directions:

Melt butter in a 2 quart dish. Stir in squash, onion, basil, salt and pepper. Cover with a paper towel and cook on high for about 5 minutes or until the tenderness you like, stirring every two minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cover with paper towel and cook about 1 more minute.

Sprinkle with the cheese and let stand or put in microwave for a few seconds to melt cheese. This can also be done on stove top in frying pan, either way it's good.

A great way to use up your garden vegetables and really yummy!

Source: Recipe from a friend.

By Dorothy W. from New Creek, WV

Recipe: Zucchini Patties

Zucchini growing next to a brick wall.This is my "mystery" plant. Every year, I save seeds from last year's fruit. I had my tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers all marked as such, but I had one lot of seeds I did not know what they were. I planted them anyway and they turned out to be zucchini. I do not even remember saving them.

• 1 cup biscuit mix
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped onion
  • dash of salt
  • 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Directions:

Mix all together except for butter or margarine. Melt butter or margarine in large skillet. Drop spoonfuls of mix into hot skillet. Fry 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Serve hot.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes

By Eileen from Yorktown VA

Tip: Make Use of Whatever Comes My Way

Zucchini

Yes, it is the time of year we long for during long, dark winter nights, the time of warmth and plenty. Trouble for some of us is that plenty can quickly become a bit too much as the glut of produce arrives more and more zucchini and vegetable marrows are pressed upon us by harassed harvesters who put a few too many plants in 'just in case'.

I never turn anything down; even when my husband, eyebrows raised, gently hisses 'what are you going to do with more of this stuff' as our hostess joyfully fills another bag with zucchini (or their awkwardly overgrown siblings, big, green, teenaged vegetable marrows) I don't know about you, but seeing the relief in the eyes of the gardener with a glut when someone will willingly take even just a little of their irresponsible over-production out of their sight, is worth a bit of puzzling over what on earth to do with it all once you get it home!

The secret of my survival is that I was blessed to be brought up in a family with its head in a book and its feet planted firmly in the land. I learned to dream and imagine, but I was also taught to cook and create usefully with my hands. There is a family story still dutifully told to our groaning children about how my brother, sister and I once fashioned a game from acorns and an egg carton, but we really did; not because we had to, but because it was fun and it made us laugh together. So as their eyes roll and they return to whatever electronic pacifier they are ruining their thumbs on, ours meet and we smile again at the binding memory.

Now we all have that miracle of the modern age, the cornucopia busting font of all knowledge the internet. I still think it is so amazing to be able to have half a dozen recipes for summer squash disposal literally at my fingertips and, thank my lucky stars, I have the skills to fearlessly use them, even to change them to suit our own tastes and use whatever is in the store cupboard.

So when I return to my beleaguered friends, wild eyed with the guilt of those who have had to compost something someone, anyone, should have eaten, I smile and serenely place a jar of my prized Marrow Ginger and Cardamom Jam, or Marrow Pickle on their table and anticipate the grateful gold rush that is bound to ensue!

By

Recipe: Oven "Fried" Zucchini Parmesan

This might even convince some anti-vegie eaters to try them!

Approximate Time: maybe 15 minutes, total

• 3 zucchini, sliced
  • olive oil
  • parmesan cheese

1. Per-heat your oven broiler. Spray PAM (or equivalent) or lightly coat cookie sheet with oil.
  2. Slice 3 normal size zucchini (or other summer squash types) crosswise at about 1/4 inch thickness and spread on cookie sheet. Do not overlap slices.
  3. Drizzle olive oil (or spray with olive oil PAM) over top of slices, then sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
  4. Put cookie sheet under broiler for 8 to 10 minutes, watching carefully! Remove from broiler when tops are golden brown and parmesan cheese is bubbly.
  5. If desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.

Enjoy!

Source: My friend Bobbi and her neighbor Teddi.

By

Recipe: Hot Zucchini Sauce

This is a great sauce on beef!

• 4-5 cloves garlic
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 green chili peppers, chopped
  • 2 lbs. zucchini, sliced and unpeeled
  • 2 cans creamed corn

Directions:

Saute' garlic in butter. Add chopped peppers, zucchini and corn. Use as a sauce on steaks or good as a side dish. Good any time. Freezes well for about 1 year.

Servings: varies
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: varies - just long enough to heat through. Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Elegant Zucchini

• zucchini, amount desired
  • 1 beaten egg
  • milk
  • salt and pepper
  • cornmeal
  • flour
Lemon Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 well beaten egg
  • 3 Tbsp. lemon juice

Directions:

Dip sliced zucchini in egg and milk; then in a mixture of salt and pepper, cornmeal and flour. Fry until golden brown. Pour lemon sauce over zucchini and serve.

For lemon sauce, Combine ingredients together and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture comes to a boil.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Herbed Zucchini Soup

• 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 lbs. zucchini (about 3 medium), cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon or dill or 1 tsp. dried
  • 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (3 oz.)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Directions:

Place broth, zucchini, and tarragon (or dill) in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the zucchini is tender, 7-10 minutes.

Puree in a blender, in batches if necessary, until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and heat over medium-high, slowly stirring in cheese until it is incorporated.

Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or chilled.

Servings: 4
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time

Source: http://www.Lifescript.com

By LRP from LWL, MA

Recipe: Parmesan Zucchini Spears

Ingredients

• 3 small zucchini (1 pound)
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese

Directions

Cut zucchini lengthwise into quarters, then cut in half crosswise. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and stir zucchini in oil over medium heat for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon peel, salt and pepper. Cook and stir 4-5 minutes longer or until zucchini is crisp tender. Remove from the heat; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Source: A friend, Maureen

By Raymonde from North Bay, Ontario

Recipe: Oven Zucchini

Super easy to make and very tasty!

• 4 sm. zucchini
  • 2 Tbsp. margarine or 2 chopped strips bacon
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • paprika

Directions:

1. Wash zucchini and drain; do not pare. Cut in halves, lengthwise.
  2. Arrange in greased shallow baking dish; dot with margarine or sprinkle with bacon pieces.
  3. Season with salt, pepper, and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
  4. Add 1 tablespoon water in bottom of baking dish, cover and bake 15 minutes in 400 degree F oven.
  5. Uncover and continue baking another 10 minutes, until tender.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Zucchini, Corn, and Tomato Dish

This is a great combination of ingredients and it's also a great way to use some of the zucchini we are growing in our gardens.

• 2lbs. zucchini
  • 1 med. onion
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 3/4 tsp. salt
  • dash pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 1 can whole kernel corn

Directions:

Cut zucchini into 1/2 inch thick slices. Saute onion in the butter for about 5 minutes. Cut tomatoes into eighths. Add zucchini, spices, and tomatoes; mix well. Bring to boil and then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes. Add drained corn and cook until corn is heated through.

Servings: 6-8
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Zucchini Tostados

• 1 medium zucchini
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 (4 oz) can mushrooms, not drained
  • 1/4 cup celery, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. green pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • salt to season
  • 5 1/2oz tortilla chips

Directions:

In 1 quart microwavable casserole, combine zucchini, onion, mushrooms, celery, and green pepper. Microwave on high 7-8 minutes until veggies are tender-crisp. Drain.

Place tostados on 12 inch glass dish, top with veggie mixture, sprinkle with cheese and salt. Microwave on high 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Put sour cream on top and then top with tomatoes. Microwave 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until heated. Serves 2-3.

By Sandy from Graettinger, IA

Recipe: Zucchini Corn Saute'

A good meatless side dish.

Ingredients

• 4 1/2 cups sliced zucchini (1/4-inch slices)
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil or canola oil
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn thawed
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper

Directions

In a nonstick skillet, saute zucchini and onion in oil for 4-5 minutes. Stir in corn, and saute 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with salt, cumin and pepper. Serve.

Source: Barbara L.

By Raymonde G. from North Bay, Ontario

Recipe: Tangy Zucchini Saute

This is a quick side dish for zucchini lovers.

• 4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp. of Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 - 2 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar

Directions:

In a large skillet, saute zucchini and onion in oil until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; saute 1 minute longer. Add vinegar and saute for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated and zucchini is evenly coated. Happy tasting.

By Raymonde from North Bay, Ontario

Recipe: Zucchini Fritters

Zucchini Fritters I

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 package Hidden Valley Ranch mix
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini

Directions

Fill a deep fat fryer or skillet with oil to a 2 inch depth. Heat to 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, combine milk and egg in a mixing bowl. Stir together dry ingredients and add to egg mixture; blend well. Fold in zucchini. Drop mixture by teaspoonful into hot oil. Fry until a deep golden brown, turning at least once. Drain off oil on paper towel. Enjoy with salad dressing or salsa or sour cream dip. Note: Adding salt to the batter or salting the fritters after they are fried is delicious!

By Robin from Washington, IA

Zucchini Fritters II

Ingredients

• 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Mix all ingredients. Drop a spoonful in hot oil; press to a pancake; brown; drain on paper towel. Serve with sour cream and chives.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Parmesan Zucchini Strips

As we all know, if you grow zucchini you are likely to have an overabundance. This is a great recipe to use them up.

• 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup nonfat Parmesan cheese topping
  • 4 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise
  • 1/4 cup egg substitute

Directions:

In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs and cheese topping. Dip zucchini in egg substitute, then in crumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and tender.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Zucchini Cookies

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. soda
  • 1 tsp. cloves or allspice
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • 2 cups chopped nuts
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini

Directions

Cream together sugar, butter and eggs until fluffy. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with zucchini. Add chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by teaspoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-15 minutes. Do not overbake.

Note: If your zucchini has a dry texture, use less flour. You can also add 4 slightly rounded Tbsp. cocoa and use nutmeg instead of cloves.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Parmesan Zucchini Patties

Ingredients

• 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 3 cups shredded zucchini
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • butter

Directions

In a bowl combine flour, cheese, oregano, pepper and salt. Beat eggs. Add zucchini, onion and mayonnaise. Add flour mixture and mix well. In a large skillet, melt butter and fry pancakes until golden on both sides. Serve with sour cream, ketchup, tomatoes or mayonnaise. This is a main supper sandwich for us during the summer months.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Zucchini Patties

Ingredients

• 4 cups shredded zucchini
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Beat eggs and then add all other ingredients and mix well. Fry in oil over medium high heat until golden brown. Serve with mayonnaise and tomatoes on buns or bread.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Zucchini and Carrots

Ingredients

• 1 lb. carrots, peeled
  • 1 lb. zucchini, trimmed
  • 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Cut the carrots and zucchini into julienne strips. Steam carrots, covered, over boiling water for about 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer the carrots to a bowl. Steam the zucchini, covered, for about 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Saute' the veggies, lemon juice and seasoning in the butter over moderate heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until veggies are heated through. Serves 8.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Grilled or Broiled Zucchini

Ingredients

• 4 small zucchini
  • 4 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 tsp. Lemon-pepper seasoning
  • dash garlic salt
  • 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Wash, dry and halve lengthwise the zucchini and arrange in a single layer on a greased broiler pan or hinged grill. Score zucchini diagonally.

Melt butter and add lemon-pepper seasoning and garlic salt. Brush on cut side of zucchini. Sprinkle with cheese.

Broil 8 minutes or grill until tender and cheese browns. No need to turn.

Yield: 4 Servings

Anna

Recipe: Zucchini Dressing

• 1 cup grated carrots
  • 1/4 cup chopped onions
  • 1 box chicken Stove Top Stuffing mix
  • 1 small carton sour cream
  • 6 cups zucchini (unpeeled)
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup

Directions:

Mix carrots, zucchini & onions together. Cook for 6 minutes. Drain. Melt butter, adding stuffing mix & mixing well. Add this to zucchini mixture. Mix soup & sour cream. Layer, starting with zucchini mixture & ending with chicken mixture. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

By Terri H.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Recipes Using Zucchini.

Question: Deep Fried Zucchini Chips

I would like to have the recipe that "In and Out" drive thru's in California has for deep fried Zucchini Chips.

Cookieone from Arizona

Most Recent Answer

By Dixie (Guest Post)05/24/2008

I am looking for the recipe for the fried zuccini that they serve at the Vortex on Morland Ave, Atlanta

Question: Yellow Zucchini

I had a huge Yellow Zucchini given to me. Do I wait for it to get green? If so, how do I green it up?

Poopsey

Most Recent Answer

By johnny618 (Guest Post)07/26/2007

zucchini comes in both yellow and green , but to me they taste the same. however, i grow both and if they are planted too close to each other, they all seem to turn yellow.

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Reta Fletcher (Guest Post)08/04/2008

Thank you all for the great recipes. There were some that realy sounded good, and I know that I will use most before the summer is over. It's fun to see how many changes I can make with your ideas, and still enjoy the taste.

By susan [5]07/18/2007

Here's a couple of things I do that no one has mentioned:

**When you miss some Zucchini and they are larger than you usually pick, they are perfect for making zucchini in Italian tomato sauce. Cut them up and remove seeds if too mature; put in a large pan. Add a couple of diced onions and green peppers. Add some thick tomato sauce from tomato paste (the water in the zucchini will thin it) and some Italian herbs. Heat to a boil, pour into canning jars, and pressure can. The pressure canning softens the zucchini if it was getting tough, as the larger ones do. This is a tasty side dish to any meal.

**Peel the zucchini and pulverize it in the blender. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, remove cubes to a large zip-lock bag. When baking/cooking, substitute as many cubes of "zucchini milk" as you need to replace some or all of the amount of milk/water in the recipe. A great way to incorporate some hidden veggies into any recipe. Can also throw a couple of cubes into spaghetti sauce, any casserole you make, cake mixes, sauces/gravies, etc.

**I chop up some zucchini (or the peels from my zucchini milk) and dehydrate them. Once dried, they can be added to any soup or stew I make throughout the year. This takes little room in my cupboard.

**If I'm really swamped with zucchini, after drying, I whiz in the blender to make a powder--a flour. I add a tablespoon or two anytime I make pancakes, waffles, bread, stews, muffins, etc. This takes little to no room in the cupboard, and adds fiber to homemade goods.

By Marta (Guest Post)07/18/2007

75 zucchini recipes

http://lifestyle.msn.com/foodandent ... ecipesearch.aspx?q=zucchini&st=k

By irishmcfly (Guest Post)07/18/2007

this is a great one you can serve morning or in the evening.

*depending on the size of the zucchini shred one or two (like you would for hashbrowns) place in a bowl
*add a egg or two
*flour
*your choice of seasong I like Johnny's

you then mix every thing together till you have a pancake texture. when it comes to the flour use your judgment because it depends on mixture. remember zucchini is full of water so the longer it sets the more flour you will have to add.
heat a griddle or pan w/ a little oil or butter (yes this is not a fat free recipe). spoon a fair amout (like a pancake) in your pan and turn. cook till nice and crispy, or brown.
Toppings: I like to add a little butter with salsa or you can go with jams, sryup pretty much what every you like.
this is a great recipe that everyone likes at any meal and u can store it in the fridge for the next day and like i said if it looks to runny then add more flour. I hope you like it as much as my family does.

By Diana (Guest Post)07/17/2007

Grate one zucchini and one summer squash
saute with one diced onion and garlic (to taste)
mix in 1 28-oz can of dinced or crushed tomatoes (or fresh if you have!)
mayneed to add a small can of tomato sauce
season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano if desired
Simmer until slightly thincked and serve over pasts
WE also grill a chicken breast nd slice for a DELICIOUS healthy meal-my kids love ot too!

By Jo. (Guest Post)07/14/2007

The recipe earlier calls zucchhinis courgettes> they are the same>

By Jo. (Guest Post)07/14/2007

This is a lovely recipe I came across in Greece. Coarsely grate 4 medium courgettes. Sprinkle with salt and leave to drain. Meanwhile crumble 40z of fetta cheese in a bowl, and add a handful of fresh chopped mint.Rinse courgettes and squeeze out moisture then add to the cheese mix.Mix in an egg,then enough breadcrumbs to make a mix that will hold together when moulded into balls. Mould into golf ball sized balls by sqeezing and rolling in your hands. Coat in more breadcrums then fry til golden. The Greeks call them Colokithaki kefteras(Courgette balls)Serve as a starter, or main dish with salad.DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Marta (Guest Post)07/13/2007

ZUCCHINI CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
FROM: Diana S. at www.allrecipes.com
Yield: 7 servings

4 cups shredded zucchini
1 onion, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1 (8.5 oz) package dry corn muffin mix
0.50 teaspoon salt
0.25 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2 quart casserole dish. In a large bowl mix together the zucchini, onion, eggs, muffin mix, salt and pepper. Stir in 4 ounces of the cheese. Spread this mixture into the casserole dish; top with remaining 4 ounces of cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes.

By Marta (Guest Post)07/13/2007

Zucchini Crescent Pie
http://www.recipezaar.com/13252

By Harlean from Arkansas [125]07/13/2007

Sorry for the double post. (Editors Note: We removed it :0)

We are eating lots of fresh veggies from the garden and I have a variety of dishes using my zucchini and yellow squash. Many are similar to those already posted, but I do have a few different ones.
My daughter gave me this one a couple years ago.

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened & 1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups shredded zucchini (use small, firm squash)
1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350º.
Grease and flour 9x13-inch cake pan. In large bowl, combine sugar, butter, oil, vanilla
& eggs. Beat until light and creamy. Combine dry ingredients and add to mixture along
with the buttermilk. Blend well. Fold in Zucchini, chocolate chips and nuts. Spread in pan.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool completely and frost, if desired, but this is good without frosting.
***********************************
Zucchini Pizzas

Number of Servings: 10
Serving Size: 3 slices
Ingredients
Name Measure Weight
zucchini, about 2 inches in diameter, cut into 1/4-inch slices 2 ---
pizza sauce 1 tbsp ---
pitted black olives, sliced 1 tsp ---
green onion minced 1 tsp ---
fat-free mozzarella, grated 2 tbsp ---
Preparation Instructions
1. On each slice of zucchini place ingredients in order.
2. Place on a baking sheet and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 3-5 minutes. Zucchini should be crisp.

*****************************

Crockpot Zucchini and Brown Rice.

There are no precise measurements to this recipe. Just a few suggestions for ingredients and amounts, but you can be creative with this and include veggies that you like and have on hand.
2-4 medium Zucchini squash, unpeeled and sliced into thick rounds. I mixed in some yellow squash here, also.
large red onion or any type onion you like, coarsely chopped
large Bell pepper, I had a yellow one in the freezer, so used that
1/2 pound sausage...fry this stirring to crumble it as it fries. To cut fat, I then drain the grease, place the cooked sausage in the colander and rinse it well with boiling water.
1-2 cups uncooked Minute Brown Rice
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
large can of tomatoes.

Prepare all ingredients and place them in the slow cooker.
Stir well, and cook on high for about 30 minutes (until well heated through)
Stir again, and set the slow cooker to low, and let cook another hour or until
rice is tender. Serve with French Bread spread with garlic butter, and toasted or grilled.

Harlean from Arkansas

By Michawn [16]07/12/2007

Take vegie peeler and peel down until the seeds, then saute in a little olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. My sister adds poppy seeds from the original recipe she got (I assume it's for color and show), makes a great pasta and kids seem to love it. I serve it plain or sauce over it, works with those zukes that have been hiding and get big (funny how they do that!).

I know you can also grate fine and add to cake recipes or even make a zuke/chocolate cake, you can't even tell you are eating vegies!

By Barbara Grow [2]07/12/2007

My familys favorite zucchini recipe is Fried Zucchini. I slice the zucchini, in rounds with skin on, and dip it in egg and milk then shake it in flour and then fry in pan with 1/4 inch oil of your choice...when they are browned put on paper towels to drain and shake a little salt on them....they are yummy and when my 3 sons were home I would fry at least 3 large ones for a meal....They were right behind me getting them as they came out of the pan.....Boys....

By Shera [4]07/12/2007

Maybe you have a bumper crop of zucchini. If so, congratulations.

I discovered a great way to use zucchini and quite a bit at a time as I made the best of my rapidly growing zucchinis.

This is provided you have a juicer tho.

I juiced zucchinis, added some canned tomato sauce from the store and heated it with some herbs, dill was my favorite but you can experiment with anything you like.

You can even experiment with other garden vegetables like celery, onions etc. Or try a vegetable based spaghetti sauce in stead of the plain tomato sauce. If it's a drink you may choose to puree the sauce tho so you dont have chunks of anything.

Basically I was making my own vegetable cocktail like V8. I thought it was better than V8 and was enormously pleased that I had discovered this.

By the end of the season I had stacks and stacks of frozen vegetable cocktail in my freezer.

By Roxanne Kaufhold07/12/2007

Really simple one--if you like to make stir frys, they are awesome sliced--with peeling--right into it. They pick up the flavors so nicely :)

By Karen (Guest Post)07/11/2007

Layer raw sliced zucchini on bottom of greased 9x13 pan. Layer slices of swiss cheese, slices of onion, salt & pepper & a few pats of butter. Repeat layer and bake covered with foil for 1/2 hour . Remove foil and bake until lightly browned.

By Tracie, Missouri (Guest Post)07/11/2007

This is a wonderfully tasty way to cook your zucchini. Just cut them into approx. 1/2" rounds. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top. Season lightly with salt and pepper (remember, you can always add more salt or pepper later after it's cooked). Place on a flat grilling pan with holes small enough the squash cannot drop through. Grill appx. 5 mins on each side. I love to grill yellow squash, onions, peppers and even mushrooms along with this. Makes a great side dish to those outdoor BBQ's! My fiance doesn't care for squash, but he can eat just this by its self!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Recipes Using Zucchini

I am looking for lots of tasty recipes using zucchini. I was given one that we like from my neighbour. It is as follows:

Saute onions and when partially cooked add sliced zucchini, and a little water and finish cooking. Then Add Cheez Whiz, or cheese sauce, salt and pepper. Heat through. I thought it was a side dish, but we eat it as a soup and really do like this. (I used 2 large onions, and 2 small zucchini, about 1/2 cup of water and 3/4 cup of Cheez Whiz.)

Pat in Kitchener, B.C.

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

Outside of the basic zucchini bread, there are 2 other ways we enjoy it:

Zucchini Pancakes

(much like a potato pancake and used as a side dish)

• Grate 1 zucchini (skin and seeds included)
  • Grate washed white potatoes equalling about half the amount of zucchini used
  • Grate 1 onion and 1 green pepper.
Mix all the above with 2 beaten eggs, 1/2 cup bisquick and garlic salt and pepper to taste. Fry as you would a potato pancake.

Zucchini Spaghetti Sauce

Saute a cut up onion in small amount of oil, add chucks of zucchini (can be peeled and seeded or not), sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper, cover and cook about 15 minutes-stirring occasionally. Add 1 jar/can your favorite spaghetti sauce (or use puree and favorite spices), cover and simmer until fork-tender. (08/03/2004)

By Betty

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

Zuchinni and Pasta Greek Style:

Saute some shallot and garlic in a skillet with just a little bit of olive oil. Add a zuchinni, cut into bite size chunks, and skinless chicken breast, also cut into small pieces. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through. The Zuchinni should still be a bit firm - not mushy. If the zuchinni gets overcooked, add the chicken to start it, then add the zuchinni.

Cook angel hair pasta, and toss with the zuchinni and chicken. Top with some feta cheese and fresh basil (If you don't like feta, coarse grated romano is also very good).

This is a nice lite summer meal,and since angel hair pasta cooks in 4 minutes, it keeps the kitchen from getting too hot.

Enjoy (08/03/2004)

By QueenBeeCrafts

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

My favorite Zucchini recipe is, when I Slice about four zucchini and I saute them in about three table spoons of olive oil until tender. Add some garlic (I like a lot) and some fresh parsley and continue cooking until zucchini turns a bit brown. Salt and pepper to taste (08/03/2004)

By Renee Bowman

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

Zucchini Boats

Cut and hollow out lengthwise a zucchini. Fill with spaghetti sauce, with or without meat. Top with grated or thinly sliced cheddar cheese. Bake 1 hour at 350F. (10/13/2004)

By valleyrimgirl

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

Roast Beef with carrots, onions and zucchini. I season with garlic, salt, pepper and a package of dry onion soup mix; pour either V8 or tomato juice in bottom for your liquid, cover with foil and bake or crock as usual. (10/14/2004)

By mom2kaitie

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

My favorite zucchini recipe is fried "Southern style". Wash zucchini (do not peel) and slice (rounds or wedges, try both, as each has a different flavor/texture). Mix corn meal and salt to taste in one bowl (also try Tony's Cajun seasoning instead of salt). Dunk slices or rounds into a bowl of milk, bread in corn meal, and deep fry in vegetable oil until lightly brown. Drain on paper towels and enjoy.

Also love them raw. This time of year I always have veggies trays fresh from the garden with yellow squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers. Peel zucchini, slice in long thin strips, and serve on a veggie tray or all by themselves with ranch dip. (06/03/2005)

By Marie2005

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

I have a bumper crop this year! I like the zucchini broiled with a light spread of butter or margarine when almost tender, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and broil till lightly browned. Another way is to saute sliced young summer squash and zucchini with onions. Just before serving, grate Parmesan or Romano cheese over the top and serve. (07/12/2006)

By Maureen

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

Slice zucchini in thin rounds along with yellow summer squash and thin onion rings, separated. Sautee in butter or margarine or olive oil along with minced fresh garlic and freshly ground pepper and finely diced fresh basil. Just before serving, add large-dice fresh tomato to heat through. Grated locatelli cheese may be sprinkled over the top. This can be used as a side dish, a pasta sauce, or a pizza topping. Vary the proportions as desired by taste. (07/13/2006)

By Cate K

Archive: Zucchini Soup

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 lb. zucchini
  • 1/2 cup sliced shallots or green onions
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vinegar
  • 3/4 tsp. dried dill weed or tarragon
  • 4 Tbsp. quick cooking farina or Cream of Wheat
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

Directions

Wash zucchini; cut off tips of both ends; then cut into 1/2 inch chunks. Cook sliced shallots or onions slowly in butter about 5 minutes until tender, but not brown. Add zucchini, chicken broth, vinegar and dill weed. Bring to a boil. Stir in farina or Cream of Wheat. Simmer partially covered for 20-25 minutes. puree in blender and return soup to pan. Thin with more liquid if necessary. Season carefully with salt and pepper. Beat in sour cream just before serving.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Archive: Zucchini Soup

Ingredients

• 5-7 zucchini
  • 1 large white onion
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 cups homemade chicken stock
  • 2-3 cups buttermilk
  • cilantro, to taste
  • salt

Directions

Dice onion and saute in butter. Add sliced zucchini and chicken stock; simmer all in kettle until tender. Cool slightly. Puree in blender, alternating between liquid from chicken stock in kettle and buttermilk. Add cilantro to taste. I use lots and either fresh of dried will work fine. Add more or less buttermilk according to the consistency you prefer. I like my soup with body. Add salt to taste. Serve warm or chilled.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Archive: Zucchini Soup

This is a very different recipe I've tried and thought it was good. Zucchini is a great green vegetable for someone on a high fiber diet.

Archive: Zucchini Soup

Dice onion and saute in butter. Add sliced zucchini and chicken stock; simmer all in kettle until tender. Cool slightly.

Archive: Zucchini Soup

Combined water and bouillon cubes in a saucepan. Add sliced zucchini to saucepan mixture. Heat until the zucchini is tender.