Recipes Using Zucchini

Summertime can bring an abundance of this summer squash. This page contains recipes using zucchini.

Filter Sort

Recipe: Zucchini Patties

By Eileen Hays 34 20

Zucchini growing next to a brick wall.This is my "mystery" plant. Every year, I save seeds from last year's fruit. I had my tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers all marked as such, but I had one lot of seeds I did not know what they were. I planted them anyway and they turned out to be zucchini. I do not even remember saving them.

• 1 cup biscuit mix
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped onion
  • dash of salt
  • 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Directions:

Mix all together except for butter or margarine. Melt butter or margarine in large skillet. Drop spoonfuls of mix into hot skillet. Fry 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Serve hot.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes

By Eileen from Yorktown VA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Summer Squash

By dorothy wedenoja 170 111

Love vegetables from the garden!

• 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 cups yellow squash or zucchini (or mixed) unpeeled
  • 1/2 cup sliced onion
  • 1 medium tomato (cut in 1/2 inch cubes)
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and/or 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. basil
  • 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper

Directions:

Melt butter in a 2 quart dish. Stir in squash, onion, basil, salt and pepper. Cover with a paper towel and cook on high for about 5 minutes or until the tenderness you like, stirring every two minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cover with paper towel and cook about 1 more minute.

Sprinkle with the cheese and let stand or put in microwave for a few seconds to melt cheese. This can also be done on stove top in frying pan, either way it's good.

A great way to use up your garden vegetables and really yummy!

Source: Recipe from a friend.

By Dorothy W. from New Creek, WV

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Make Use of Whatever Comes My Way

By ayesha christmas 38 130

Yes, it is the time of year we long for during long, dark winter nights, the time of warmth and plenty. Trouble for some of us is that plenty can quickly become a bit too much as the glut of produce arrives more and more zucchini and vegetable marrows are pressed upon us by harassed harvesters who put a few too many plants in 'just in case'.

I never turn anything down; even when my husband, eyebrows raised, gently hisses 'what are you going to do with more of this stuff' as our hostess joyfully fills another bag with zucchini (or their awkwardly overgrown siblings, big, green, teenaged vegetable marrows) I don't know about you, but seeing the relief in the eyes of the gardener with a glut when someone will willingly take even just a little of their irresponsible over-production out of their sight, is worth a bit of puzzling over what on earth to do with it all once you get it home!

The secret of my survival is that I was blessed to be brought up in a family with its head in a book and its feet planted firmly in the land. I learned to dream and imagine, but I was also taught to cook and create usefully with my hands. There is a family story still dutifully told to our groaning children about how my brother, sister and I once fashioned a game from acorns and an egg carton, but we really did; not because we had to, but because it was fun and it made us laugh together. So as their eyes roll and they return to whatever electronic pacifier they are ruining their thumbs on, ours meet and we smile again at the binding memory.

Now we all have that miracle of the modern age, the cornucopia busting font of all knowledge the internet. I still think it is so amazing to be able to have half a dozen recipes for summer squash disposal literally at my fingertips and, thank my lucky stars, I have the skills to fearlessly use them, even to change them to suit our own tastes and use whatever is in the store cupboard.

So when I return to my beleaguered friends, wild eyed with the guilt of those who have had to compost something someone, anyone, should have eaten, I smile and serenely place a jar of my prized Marrow Ginger and Cardamom Jam, or Marrow Pickle on their table and anticipate the grateful gold rush that is bound to ensue!

Zucchini

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Yellow Zucchini

By olly 6

I had a huge Yellow Zucchini given to me. Do I wait for it to get green? If so, how do I green it up?

Poopsey

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

zucchini comes in both yellow and green , but to me they taste the same. however, i grow both and if they are planted too close to each other, they all seem to turn yellow.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Zucchini Boats

By Donna 309 325

A delicious recipe using some of that garden zucchini you might have in abundance right now. Savory beef stuffed zucchini shells made in the microwave and stove, instead of the hot oven for a great summer dinner!

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

• 4 medium zucchini
    • 1 lb ground meat
    • 1/2 cup chopped onion
    • 1 egg
    • 1 cup pizza or spaghetti sauce
    • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp pepper
    • 1 cup (4 oz.) grated cheese Monterey Jack or Cheddar (or your favorite)
    ingredients

1. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. I also cut a slice off the bottom so it stands on it's own to sit flat. Scoop out the zucchini centers.*
    2. cut zucchinizucchini shells
    3. Place zucchini shells in a microwavable dish, cover it and place it in the microwave for 3 minutes on high.
    4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook ground meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from heat and stir in egg, sauce, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and one half of the cheese.
    5. beef and onion in panbeef, sauce and cheese in pan
    6. Spoon into zucchini shells and microwave, uncovered on high for 4 minutes.
    7. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and microwave 3 to 4 minutes longer. If you have a thermometer, filling should be around 160 degrees and zucchini is tender.
    8. Serve with any additional sauce.
    9. filled boats
    10. Yum!

*I use them in another recipe Zucchini Fritters, that I will be entering on Thrifty Fun after this one. Look for it!

Source: Taste of Home

boats in baking pan

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Deep Fried Zucchini Chips

I would like to have the recipe that "In and Out" drive thru's in California has for deep fried Zucchini Chips.

Cookieone from Arizona

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I am looking for the recipe for the fried zuccini that they serve at the Vortex on Morland Ave, Atlanta

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Zucchini Lasagne

By Judy Pariser S. 85 71

A good low carb recipe that uses up your extra zucchini. I made this in the toaster oven in a 9 x 13-inch pan, so as not to heat up the kitchen.

Parmesan on top of casserole

Approximate Time: 1 hour to bake, 15 minutes to prepare

Yield: 6

Zucchini releases water. You may want to slice your zucchini thinly and sprinkle with salt, then drain in a colander for about 10 minutes to reduce the water in the sauce.

• 2 large zucchini, yellow or green
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • olive or vegetable oil for sautéing
    • 1 lb ground beef
    • 1 container spagetti sauce
    • 1 container 16 oz. cottage cheese or ricotta
    • 4 oz mozzarella cheese
    • 1 handful Parmesan cheese

1. Slice zucchini thinly. Divide into three portions.
    2. Saute the onion in oil until golden.
    3. chopped onions in pan
    4. Add the garlic and saute a minute or two. Set aside.
    5. garlic added to pan
    6. Add the ground beef. Break it up and saute until no longer pink. Drain the fat if necessary.
    7. ground beef in pan
    8. Add the onions, garlic and enough spaghetti sauce to make a thick mixture to the ground beef. Simmer 5 minutes.
    9. Line a pan with foil. Cover the bottom with spaghetti sauce.
    10. sauce in baking pan
    11. Put a layer of zucchini on the bottom.
    12. zucchini on sauce in baking pan
    13. Put half of the beef mixture on top of that.
    14. Put half the cottage cheese and half the mozzarella cheese on top of that.
    15. cheese added to baking pan
    16. Put the next layer of zucchini on top.
    17. Repeat with beef mixture and the rest of the cottage cheese and mozzarella.
    18. Finish off with the last layer of zucchini.
    19. zucchini added to baking pan
    20. Top with spaghetti sauce and a handful of Parmesan cheese.
    21. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
    22. Take off the foil, and bake another 10 minutes, or until bubbly.
    23. Let rest a few minutes before serving.
    24. sauce and cheese added to pan

Source: a combination of a few recipes

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Oven "Fried" Zucchini Parmesan

By Eileen M. 56 240

This might even convince some anti-vegie eaters to try them!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Hot Zucchini Sauce

By Robin 5,893 29

This is a great sauce on beef!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Elegant Zucchini

By Robin 5,893 29

Dip sliced zucchini in egg and milk; then in a mixture of salt and pepper, cornmeal and flour. Fry until golden brown. Pour lemon sauce over zucchini and serve.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Herbed Zucchini Soup

By linda 203 1

Place broth, zucchini, and tarragon (or dill) in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the zucchini is tender, 7-10 minutes.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Parmesan Zucchini Spears

By Raymonde C. Gauthier 231 9

Cut zucchini lengthwise into quarters, then cut in half crosswise. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and stir zucchini in oil over medium heat for 4 minutes.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Tangy Zucchini Saute

By Raymonde C. Gauthier 231 9

In a large skillet, saute zucchini and onion in oil until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; saute 1 minute longer. Add vinegar and saute for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated and zucchini is evenly coated. Happy tasting.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Parmesan Zucchini Strips

By Robin 5,893 29

As we all know, if you grow zucchini you are likely to have an overabundance. This is a great recipe to use them up.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Parmesan Zucchini Patties

By Robin 5,893 29

In a bowl combine flour, cheese, oregano, pepper and salt. Beat eggs. Add zucchini, onion and mayonnaise. Add flour mixture and mix well. In a large skillet, melt butter and fry pancakes until golden on both sides.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Skillet Zucchini Dish

Cook and stir veggies in oil over medium heat 6-8 minutes until tender crisp. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Let stand 5 minutes. Makes: 4 cups.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Grilled or Broiled Zucchini

Wash, dry, and halve lengthwise the zucchini and arrange in a single layer on a greased broiler pan or hinged grill. Score zucchini diagonally. Melt butter and add lemon-pepper seasoning and garlic salt.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Zucchini Dressing

Mix carrots, zucchini & onions together. Cook for 6 minutes. Drain. Melt butter, adding stuffing mix & mixing well. Add this to zucchini mixture. Mix soup & sour cream. Layer, starting with zucchini mixture & ending with chicken mixture. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Oven Zucchini

By Robin 5,893 29

Super easy to make and very tasty!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Zucchini, Corn, and Tomato Dish

By Robin 5,893 29

This is a great combination of ingredients and it's also a great way to use some of the zucchini we are growing in our gardens.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Zucchini Tostados

By Sandy 135

In 1 quart microwavable casserole, combine zucchini, onion, mushrooms, celery, and green pepper. Microwave on high 7-8 minutes until veggies are tender-crisp. Drain.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Zucchini Corn Saute'

By Raymonde C. Gauthier 231 9

A good meatless side dish. In a nonstick skillet, saute zucchini and onion in oil for 4-5 minutes. Stir in corn, and saute 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Zucchini Fritters

By Robin 5,893 29

Fill a deep fat fryer or skillet with oil to a 2 inch depth. Heat to 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, combine milk and egg in a mixing bowl. Stir together dry ingredients and add to egg mixture; blend well. Fold in zucchini.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Zucchini Cookies

By Robin 5,893 29

Cream together sugar, butter and eggs until fluffy. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with zucchini. Add chocolate chips and nuts.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Zucchini Patties

By Robin 5,893 29

Beat eggs and then add all other ingredients and mix well. Fry in oil over medium high heat until golden brown. Serve with mayonnaise and tomatoes on buns or bread.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Zucchini and Carrots

Cut the carrots and zucchini into julienne strips. Steam carrots, covered, over boiling water for about 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer the carrots to a bowl.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Recipes Using Zucchini

I am looking for lots of tasty recipes using zucchini. I was given one that we like from my neighbour. It is as follows:

Saute onions and when partially cooked add sliced zucchini, and a little water and finish cooking. Then Add Cheez Whiz, or cheese sauce, salt and pepper. Heat through. I thought it was a side dish, but we eat it as a soup and really do like this. (I used 2 large onions, and 2 small zucchini, about 1/2 cup of water and 3/4 cup of Cheez Whiz.)

Pat in Kitchener, B.C.

Answers:

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

Outside of the basic zucchini bread, there are 2 other ways we enjoy it:

Zucchini Pancakes

(much like a potato pancake and used as a side dish)

• Grate 1 zucchini (skin and seeds included)
    • Grate washed white potatoes equalling about half the amount of zucchini used
    • Grate 1 onion and 1 green pepper.
    Mix all the above with 2 beaten eggs, 1/2 cup bisquick and garlic salt and pepper to taste. Fry as you would a potato pancake.

Zucchini Spaghetti Sauce

Saute a cut up onion in small amount of oil, add chucks of zucchini (can be peeled and seeded or not), sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper, cover and cook about 15 minutes-stirring occasionally. Add 1 jar/can your favorite spaghetti sauce (or use puree and favorite spices), cover and simmer until fork-tender. (08/03/2004)

By Betty

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

Zuchinni and Pasta Greek Style:

Saute some shallot and garlic in a skillet with just a little bit of olive oil. Add a zuchinni, cut into bite size chunks, and skinless chicken breast, also cut into small pieces. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through. The Zuchinni should still be a bit firm - not mushy. If the zuchinni gets overcooked, add the chicken to start it, then add the zuchinni.

Cook angel hair pasta, and toss with the zuchinni and chicken. Top with some feta cheese and fresh basil (If you don't like feta, coarse grated romano is also very good).

This is a nice lite summer meal,and since angel hair pasta cooks in 4 minutes, it keeps the kitchen from getting too hot.

Enjoy (08/03/2004)

By QueenBeeCrafts

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

My favorite Zucchini recipe is, when I Slice about four zucchini and I saute them in about three table spoons of olive oil until tender. Add some garlic (I like a lot) and some fresh parsley and continue cooking until zucchini turns a bit brown. Salt and pepper to taste (08/03/2004)

By Renee Bowman

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

Zucchini Boats

Cut and hollow out lengthwise a zucchini. Fill with spaghetti sauce, with or without meat. Top with grated or thinly sliced cheddar cheese. Bake 1 hour at 350F. (10/13/2004)

By valleyrimgirl

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

Roast Beef with carrots, onions and zucchini. I season with garlic, salt, pepper and a package of dry onion soup mix; pour either V8 or tomato juice in bottom for your liquid, cover with foil and bake or crock as usual. (10/14/2004)

By mom2kaitie

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

My favorite zucchini recipe is fried "Southern style". Wash zucchini (do not peel) and slice (rounds or wedges, try both, as each has a different flavor/texture). Mix corn meal and salt to taste in one bowl (also try Tony's Cajun seasoning instead of salt). Dunk slices or rounds into a bowl of milk, bread in corn meal, and deep fry in vegetable oil until lightly brown. Drain on paper towels and enjoy.

Also love them raw. This time of year I always have veggies trays fresh from the garden with yellow squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers. Peel zucchini, slice in long thin strips, and serve on a veggie tray or all by themselves with ranch dip. (06/03/2005)

By Marie2005

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

I have a bumper crop this year! I like the zucchini broiled with a light spread of butter or margarine when almost tender, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and broil till lightly browned. Another way is to saute sliced young summer squash and zucchini with onions. Just before serving, grate Parmesan or Romano cheese over the top and serve. (07/12/2006)

By Maureen

RE: Recipes Using Zucchini

Slice zucchini in thin rounds along with yellow summer squash and thin onion rings, separated. Sautee in butter or margarine or olive oil along with minced fresh garlic and freshly ground pepper and finely diced fresh basil. Just before serving, add large-dice fresh tomato to heat through. Grated locatelli cheese may be sprinkled over the top. This can be used as a side dish, a pasta sauce, or a pizza topping. Vary the proportions as desired by taste. (07/13/2006)

By Cate K

Archive: Zucchini Soup

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 lb. zucchini
    • 1/2 cup sliced shallots or green onions
    • 3 Tbsp. butter
    • 6 cups chicken broth
    • 1 1/2 tsp. vinegar
    • 3/4 tsp. dried dill weed or tarragon
    • 4 Tbsp. quick cooking farina or Cream of Wheat
    • 1/2 cup sour cream

Directions

Wash zucchini; cut off tips of both ends; then cut into 1/2 inch chunks. Cook sliced shallots or onions slowly in butter about 5 minutes until tender, but not brown. Add zucchini, chicken broth, vinegar and dill weed. Bring to a boil. Stir in farina or Cream of Wheat. Simmer partially covered for 20-25 minutes. puree in blender and return soup to pan. Thin with more liquid if necessary. Season carefully with salt and pepper. Beat in sour cream just before serving.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Archive: Zucchini Soup

Ingredients

• 5-7 zucchini
    • 1 large white onion
    • 1 stick butter
    • 2 cups homemade chicken stock
    • 2-3 cups buttermilk
    • cilantro, to taste
    • salt

Directions

Dice onion and saute in butter. Add sliced zucchini and chicken stock; simmer all in kettle until tender. Cool slightly. Puree in blender, alternating between liquid from chicken stock in kettle and buttermilk. Add cilantro to taste. I use lots and either fresh of dried will work fine. Add more or less buttermilk according to the consistency you prefer. I like my soup with body. Add salt to taste. Serve warm or chilled.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Archive: Zucchini Soup

This is a very different recipe I've tried and thought it was good. Zucchini is a great green vegetable for someone on a high fiber diet.

• 1 medium onion, chopped
    • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
    • 4 to 6 medium zucchini, sliced
    • 1 large potato, peeled and diced
    • 1/4 tsp. thyme
    • 1/4 tsp. rosemary
    • 1/4 tsp. basil
    • 1/4 tsp. salt
    • 1/8 tsp.pepper
    • 6 cups chicken broth
    • 1 cup skim milk

Directions:

In a large fry pan saute onion in hot butter. Add zucchini, potato, herbs, salt and pepper. After mixture is hot, cook 3 minutes; stir occasionally. Add broth; simmer for 15 minutes. Puree in blender. Return mixture to saucepan. Add milk; heat slightly. Serve hot or cold.

Source: A friend Judy

By Raymonde Gauthier from Norh Bay, Ontario

Archive: Zucchini Soup

Ingredients

• 5-7 zucchini
    • 1 large white onion
    • 1 stick butter
    • 2 cups homemade chicken stock
    • 2-3 cups buttermilk
    • cilantro, to taste
    • salt

Directions

By Robin from Washington, IA

Archive: Zucchini Soup

• 2 cups sliced zucchini
    • 2 cups water
    • 3 chicken bouillon cubes
    • 1 cup milk

Directions:

Combined water and bouillon cubes in a saucepan. Add sliced zucchini to saucepan mixture. Heat until the zucchini is tender. Pour mixture into blender and puree. Return pureed mixture to pan and add milk. Heat to serving temperature. Serves 4.

By Sandy from Graettinger, IA

Archive: Zucchini Soup

• 1 lb. zucchini, thickly sliced
    • 1 med. onion, chopped
    • 1 can chicken broth (14oz.)
    • 1 tsp. curry powder

Directions:

Cook zucchini and onion in chicken broth in medium saucepan until tender. Puree' in blender container. Combine with curry powder in saucepan. Cook just until heated through. 4 servings.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Zucchini on White Background
    Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesMay 8, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Zucchini Bread
    Freezing Zucchini Bread
    Chocolate Zucchini Cake
    Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipes
    Zucchini Bread Recipes
    Zucchini Bread Recipes
    Zucchini Salad Recipes
    Zucchini Salad Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 12:59:30 AM on 10.0.0.90 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsCommentsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings