Recipes Using Zucchini

Category Vegetables
Zucchini on White Background
Summertime can bring an abundance of this summer squash. This page contains recipes using zucchini.

Yes, it is the time of year we long for during long, dark winter nights, the time of warmth and plenty. Trouble for some of us is that plenty can quickly become a bit too much as the glut of produce arrives more and more zucchini and vegetable marrows are pressed upon us by harassed harvesters who put a few too many plants in 'just in case'.

I never turn anything down; even when my husband, eyebrows raised, gently hisses 'what are you going to do with more of this stuff' as our hostess joyfully fills another bag with zucchini (or their awkwardly overgrown siblings, big, green, teenaged vegetable marrows) I don't know about you, but seeing the relief in the eyes of the gardener with a glut when someone will willingly take even just a little of their irresponsible over-production out of their sight, is worth a bit of puzzling over what on earth to do with it all once you get it home!

The secret of my survival is that I was blessed to be brought up in a family with its head in a book and its feet planted firmly in the land. I learned to dream and imagine, but I was also taught to cook and create usefully with my hands. There is a family story still dutifully told to our groaning children about how my brother, sister and I once fashioned a game from acorns and an egg carton, but we really did; not because we had to, but because it was fun and it made us laugh together. So as their eyes roll and they return to whatever electronic pacifier they are ruining their thumbs on, ours meet and we smile again at the binding memory.

Now we all have that miracle of the modern age, the cornucopia busting font of all knowledge the internet. I still think it is so amazing to be able to have half a dozen recipes for summer squash disposal literally at my fingertips and, thank my lucky stars, I have the skills to fearlessly use them, even to change them to suit our own tastes and use whatever is in the store cupboard.

So when I return to my beleaguered friends, wild eyed with the guilt of those who have had to compost something someone, anyone, should have eaten, I smile and serenely place a jar of my prized Marrow Ginger and Cardamom Jam, or Marrow Pickle on their table and anticipate the grateful gold rush that is bound to ensue!

Read 4 Comments

This is my "mystery" plant. Every year, I save seeds from last year's fruit. I had my tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers all marked as such, but I had one lot of seeds I did not know what they were. I planted them anyway and they turned out to be zucchini. I do not even remember saving them.

• 1 cup biscuit mix
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped onion
  • dash of salt
  • 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Directions:

Mix all together except for butter or margarine. Melt butter or margarine in large skillet. Drop spoonfuls of mix into hot skillet. Fry 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Serve hot.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes

By Eileen from Yorktown VA

Read 3 Comments

Love vegetables from the garden!

• 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 cups yellow squash or zucchini (or mixed) unpeeled
  • 1/2 cup sliced onion
  • Ad
  • 1 medium tomato (cut in 1/2 inch cubes)
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and/or 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. basil
  • 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper

Directions:

Melt butter in a 2 quart dish. Stir in squash, onion, basil, salt and pepper. Cover with a paper towel and cook on high for about 5 minutes or until the tenderness you like, stirring every two minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cover with paper towel and cook about 1 more minute.

Sprinkle with the cheese and let stand or put in microwave for a few seconds to melt cheese. This can also be done on stove top in frying pan, either way it's good.

A great way to use up your garden vegetables and really yummy!

Source: Recipe from a friend.

By Dorothy W. from New Creek, WV

Read 1 Comment

A delicious recipe using some of that garden zucchini you might have in abundance right now. Savory beef stuffed zucchini shells made in the microwave and stove, instead of the hot oven for a great summer dinner!

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

Source: Taste of Home

• 4 medium zucchini
  • 1 lb ground meat
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup pizza or spaghetti sauce
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 cup (4 oz.) grated cheese Monterey Jack or Cheddar (or your favorite)

1. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. I also cut a slice off the bottom so it stands on it's own to sit flat. Scoop out the zucchini centers.*
  2. Place zucchini shells in a microwavable dish, cover it and place it in the microwave for 3 minutes on high.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook ground meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from heat and stir in egg, sauce, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and one half of the cheese.
  4. Spoon into zucchini shells and microwave, uncovered on high for 4 minutes.
  5. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and microwave 3 to 4 minutes longer. If you have a thermometer, filling should be around 160 degrees and zucchini is tender.
  6. Serve with any additional sauce.
  7. Yum!

*I use them in another recipe Zucchini Fritters, that I will be entering on Thrifty Fun after this one. Look for it!

A good low carb recipe that uses up your extra zucchini. I made this in the toaster oven in a 9 x 13 inch pan, so as not to heat up the kitchen.

Parmesan on top of casserole

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This page contains zucchini cookie recipes. This tasty summer squash is delicious in baking recipes. Try one of these healthy cookie recipes with your family.

Zucchini Cookies

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This might even convince some anti-vegie eaters to try them!

This is a great combination of ingredients and it's also a great way to use some of the zucchini we are growing in our gardens.

This is a great sauce on beef!

Dip sliced zucchini in egg and milk; then in a mixture of salt and pepper, cornmeal and flour. Fry until golden brown. Pour lemon sauce over zucchini and serve.

Place broth, zucchini, and tarragon (or dill) in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the zucchini is tender, 7-10 minutes.

Cut zucchini lengthwise into quarters, then cut in half crosswise. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and stir zucchini in oil over medium heat for 4 minutes.

Mix carrots, zucchini & onions together. Cook for 6 minutes. Drain. Melt butter, adding stuffing mix & mixing well. Add this to zucchini mixture. Mix soup & sour cream. Layer, starting with zucchini mixture & ending with chicken mixture. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

In a large skillet, saute zucchini and onion in oil until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; saute 1 minute longer. Add vinegar and saute for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated and zucchini is evenly coated. Happy tasting.

As we all know, if you grow zucchini you are likely to have an overabundance. This is a great recipe to use them up.

In a bowl combine flour, cheese, oregano, pepper and salt. Beat eggs. Add zucchini, onion and mayonnaise. Add flour mixture and mix well. In a large skillet, melt butter and fry pancakes until golden on both sides.

Cook and stir veggies in oil over medium heat 6-8 minutes until tender crisp. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Let stand 5 minutes. Makes: 4 cups.

Wash, dry, and halve lengthwise the zucchini and arrange in a single layer on a greased broiler pan or hinged grill. Score zucchini diagonally. Melt butter and add lemon-pepper seasoning and garlic salt.

This is a guide about using zucchini instead of apple or pineapple when baking. Try using this versatile squash instead of fruit in your next baking.

Cut up zucchini to use in place of fruit.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains zucchini squash pancake recipes. Summer squash, such as zucchini, can be prepared in a way similar to a potato pancake.

Zucchini Squash Pancake Recipes

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about zucchini pie recipes. An excellent way to use up excess garden zucchini is a sweet or savory pie.

Zucchini Pie

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains zucchini dessert recipes. In addition to its use in quick bread recipes, zucchini can be used to make moist, delicious cakes and other desserts.

zucchini cake

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains breaded zucchini recipes. A great way to prepare this vegetable is by adding a coating and frying.

Breaded Zucchini

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains zucchini cobbler recipes. We know that zucchini can be used to make a sweet quick bread, but a cobbler?

Zucchini

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Super easy to make and very tasty!

This page contains zucchini brownie recipes. Zucchini can be used to make some wonderful healthy treats with chocolate.

Zucchini Brownies

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains zucchini bread recipes. Zucchini seems to triple in size overnight, making bread with some of your crop may keep you ahead of this prolific squash.

Zucchini Bread Recipes

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

In 1 quart microwavable casserole, combine zucchini, onion, mushrooms, celery, and green pepper. Microwave on high 7-8 minutes until veggies are tender-crisp. Drain.

A good meatless side dish. In a nonstick skillet, saute zucchini and onion in oil for 4-5 minutes. Stir in corn, and saute 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.

Wash vegetables. Peel tomatoes, if desired. Slice vegetables about 1/4 inch thick. Layer all ingredients in flat oven dish with 2 inch sides, ending with cheese. Bake 325 degrees F for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Fill a deep fat fryer or skillet with oil to a 2 inch depth. Heat to 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, combine milk and egg in a mixing bowl. Stir together dry ingredients and add to egg mixture; blend well. Fold in zucchini.

Beat eggs and then add all other ingredients and mix well. Fry in oil over medium high heat until golden brown. Serve with mayonnaise and tomatoes on buns or bread.

Cut the carrots and zucchini into julienne strips. Steam carrots, covered, over boiling water for about 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer the carrots to a bowl.

I had a huge Yellow Zucchini given to me. Do I wait for it to get green? If so, how do I green it up?

Poopsey

zucchini comes in both yellow and green , but to me they taste the same. however, i grow both and if they are planted too close to each other, they all seem to turn yellow.

• 1 lb. zucchini, thickly sliced
  • 1 med. onion, chopped
  • 1 can chicken broth (14oz.)
  • 1 tsp. curry powder

Directions:

Cook zucchini and onion in chicken broth in medium saucepan until tender. Puree' in blender container. Combine with curry powder in saucepan. Cook just until heated through. 4 servings.

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 2 cups sliced zucchini
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 chicken bouillon cubes
  • 1 cup milk

Directions:

Combined water and bouillon cubes in a saucepan. Add sliced zucchini to saucepan mixture. Heat until the zucchini is tender. Pour mixture into blender and puree. Return pureed mixture to pan and add milk. Heat to serving temperature. Serves 4.

By Sandy from Graettinger, IA

Ingredients

• 5-7 zucchini
  • 1 large white onion
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 cups homemade chicken stock
  • 2-3 cups buttermilk
  • cilantro, to taste
  • salt

Directions

Dice onion and saute in butter. Add sliced zucchini and chicken stock; simmer all in kettle until tender. Cool slightly. Puree in blender, alternating between liquid from chicken stock in kettle and buttermilk. Add cilantro to taste. I use lots and either fresh of dried will work fine. Add more or less buttermilk according to the consistency you prefer. I like my soup with body. Add salt to taste. Serve warm or chilled.

By Robin from Washington, IA

This is a very different recipe I've tried and thought it was good. Zucchini is a great green vegetable for someone on a high fiber diet.

• 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
  • 4 to 6 medium zucchini, sliced
  • 1 large potato, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 tsp. thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. rosemary
  • 1/4 tsp. basil
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp.pepper
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup skim milk

Directions:

In a large fry pan saute onion in hot butter. Add zucchini, potato, herbs, salt and pepper. After mixture is hot, cook 3 minutes; stir occasionally. Add broth; simmer for 15 minutes. Puree in blender. Return mixture to saucepan. Add milk; heat slightly. Serve hot or cold.

Source: A friend Judy

By Raymonde Gauthier from Norh Bay, Ontario

Ingredients

• 5-7 zucchini
  • 1 large white onion
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 cups homemade chicken stock
  • 2-3 cups buttermilk
  • cilantro, to taste
  • salt

Directions

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 lb. zucchini
  • 1/2 cup sliced shallots or green onions
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vinegar
  • 3/4 tsp. dried dill weed or tarragon
  • 4 Tbsp. quick cooking farina or Cream of Wheat
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

Directions

Wash zucchini; cut off tips of both ends; then cut into 1/2 inch chunks. Cook sliced shallots or onions slowly in butter about 5 minutes until tender, but not brown. Add zucchini, chicken broth, vinegar and dill weed. Bring to a boil. Stir in farina or Cream of Wheat. Simmer partially covered for 20-25 minutes. puree in blender and return soup to pan. Thin with more liquid if necessary. Season carefully with salt and pepper. Beat in sour cream just before serving.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.