Keeping Pigeons Off Your Balcony

Pigeons can be very messy visitors to your porch or balcony. This is a guide about keeping pigeons off your balcony.

July 1, 2008 Flag

Please help me get rid of pigeons on a my balcony. I have tied foil pie plates, wind chimes, and colored plastic bags to try to deter them and nothing is working. I live in an apartment building so am not allowed to put up any kind of netting or permanent structures.

abbycat1950

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I also got suckered into the egg-laying and watching and hatching rubbish but was disgusted by the mess that the pigeons left. Was horrified when they returned the following year but still could not being myself to ditch the eggs. I was absolutely determined not to repeat the whole nasty business this year so when they started their regular gatherings on the balcony i strung up about a dozen cd's and I can't believe it! I haven't seen a pigeon since! Don't know how it works, maybe when they fly towards the cd's the holographic effect disrupts their homing radar or something - but whatever, I am absolutely delighted!

Best Answer

You don't really need to hang up a lot of CD's in order for it to work. All I did was stick 2 CD's on the railing of my balcony and I haven't seen a single pigeon on my balcony since! I could have just gotten lucky though.

Best Answer

I too came home from vacation to find two pigeon eggs on my balcony and didn't have the heart to get rid of them. I have to say that was the biggest mistake i have ever made because now they just won't leave! So finally they are old enough to fly, so I invested in a plastic Owl and let me tell you it was a waste of money. They now just hang out with the owl. The amount of pigeone poop on my belcony is overwhelming! I have cleaned it with beach and water. I am going to try the CD's and see if they work, but I have also heard the moth balls also work. Apparently they don't like the smell of it. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

Best Answer

I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex and have a balcony garden. The balcony has wide grills. The pigeon menace was crazy, with them dirtying my balcony and most of all destroying my plants!

Considering I live in a rented place, I did not want to spend too much money on netting, so tried the scarecrow, hung CDs, stuck aluminium foil flags in the pots and none of them worked for more than a week. I finally decided to mimic the netted mesh balconies using a ball of twine and a cut up mosquito net and it has worked wonders! Its been a month and my balcony has been pigeon free.

Here is how I did it:

The top 3 quarters of the balcony grill has horizontal metal bars running parallel to each other at a distance of about 1ft with parallel vertical bars at a distance of 1ft. The lower part of the balcony grill has only horizontal bars parallel to each other. So this would allow the pigeons to freely move in and out and pretty much destroy all my plants.

So I started with my ball of twine at one end of the balcony and criss-crossed the twine across the grills. For the lower part I bought a cheap light coloured mosquito net (so that light would not be blocked) and cut it up to open into one long piece which I then tied across the lower part of the balcony.

I discarded an egg and nest when it appeared on my balcony and I am pleased to say that the pigeon problem disappeared after that.

I have 2 loving pigeons keep coming back to my balcony. I have some pots with soil because the plants we dead from last summer. I tried putting curry powder, aluminum foils and now I am out of ideas. I will try the tomatoes if it works for you. Hopefully it works for me too.

I want them gone

They were living in my bbq next to the propane tank. I tried and tried to chase them away. Removed a nest with 2 eggs and threw it out, they kept coming back. I sprayed the inside of my bbq with oven cleaner and haven't seen them since.

Pigeons are not rats. And you may bear in mind that you or your family may be alive today because of a brave and determined pigeon. My uncle handed over six of his prize pigeons to be blown to bits for the survival of people like you. It takes all sorts, doesn't it?

Read More Answers...

May 10, 2012 Flag

I live in a apartment with my 2 year old boy. We have two pigeons who are trying to build a nest in the corner of my balcony. Now for the last 2 weeks it has been a battle, they bring twigs and branches every two minutes and I sweep it all away every two hours. I can't very well be using chemicals with my kid around so I am at my wits end. I need help! Please how do I stop them from building a nest in the corner of my balcony?

By Heather

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Pigeons can really be a nuisance. Many of the apartments around here have netting rigged up over their balconies to keep them away. If you rent talk to your landlord and see if he'd be willing to help set some up. A plastic owl figure set up out there might scare them away. You could also try the old gardening trick of setting up some aluminum pans or CD's on strings so they will blow about in the wind and scare the birds. Your little boy might find them very interesting though!

Best Answer

Get a plastic realistic looking owl and place it on the balcony. We use to use one on the boom on our cranes to keep the ospry from building nests on the booms,works like a charm. We bought ours at Ace Hardware but have seen them other home stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

You don't say exactly where there are building. Is it on the floor or on a rail or in the eaves? Maybe you could move some boxes of a piece of furniture to the corner to take up some space. Also, maybe some netting strung over the nesting area to deter the birds with some ribbon attached.

You could continue to sweep up the nests. Eventually the mating season will be over and they will move on. Fake owls are useless. I recall once when I was on jury duty there was an long alcove outside the window with maybe 20 fake owls standing guard. Sitting among the owls were twice as many pigeons.

I would let them nest. Your son could enjoy the nature process and see baby birds. Otherwise, hang some ribbons or something that will flutter.

I spray some WD-40 into a paper towel and lightly apply this to the rails around my deck. The birds have stopped roosting there and leaving a mess on my deck.

They hate getting any sort of stickiness on their feet and won't land on it so try putting any kind of lotion or gel where you are having the problem. I live in an apartment and they are always trying to roast on the window sills. Ever since I put suntan lotion down they haven't been around

March 12, 2015 Flag

They love my balcony. They nest there and are there constantly. No fences can be built because of the structure of the balcony. I've tried everything! Where do I get the spikes? Maybe I can line the balcony ledge.

By Teri

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try tying brightly coloured, long plastic strips to the roof of your balcony, so they flap and make noise. The noise and the motion should scare them away...if not, get one of those big fake owls from the gardening store and hang it out there... that usually scares them off. Good luck.

You can buy a very affordable product that wards off pigeons. Go to a hardware store and ask for Pigeon Off or a similar product. You paint it on the surface that they land on and when they land it starts to burn their feet. End of problem they don't like it of course.

June 30, 2008 Flag

Pigeons won't leave my balcony and they are making nests and laying eggs. At times they first lay the eggs and then gather the sticks around. What is the best way to get rid of them without hurting them or hurting the eggs?

Nirad

Answers:

Pigeons on my Balcony

I did jury duty at the my local courthouse.Looking out the window I counted 22 plastic owls on the ledges ans even more pigeons nestled among the plastic owls. (05/06/2008)

By Harry

Pigeons on My Balcony

We live on Maui. A pair of pigeons kept trying to make a nest on our lanai. Finally we decided to let them. They did... a few dried palm fronds in a little circle in the corner. A few days later, 2 eggs. A couple weeks later, 2 chicks. The parents, whom we named Marguerita and Jorge (for why? we're not Latino and Maui pigeons are probably not either!). They were devoted parents, Jorge sat on the eggs by day, Marg by night. They both then fed the babies, providing a milk-like substance from their own mouths. In less than 3 weeks Minnie and Marmaduke were nearly full grown, and one day took off on their own.

We've since read up and learned that pigeons are much-loved pets, for many people; that they mate for life, are devoted to their young, and, we've found, confine their droppings mainly to the nest area, which is now a box in the corner of the lanai. A little extra vacuuming isn't a big deal for us. It's fun watching them come and go, hearing the baby chicks peep when food arrives, seeing them venture out, flap their wings, and finally learn how to fly.

To date, these are our only pigeons, and we would discourage more camping out here. But perhaps they're territorial and no extras would be permitted, or would even want to nest here.

For us, it was a peaceful and interesting solution to an otherwise annoying problem. of course, we're in the tropics, and the lanai is an extension of the living room. Might not be so much fun if we were inside for the winter and unable to clean up regularly...

If we decide to relocate our birds, we'll try some of the listed suggestions on discouraging more boarders.

Aloha! (05/06/2008)

By Felicity

Pigeons on My Balcony

I have a friend who had pigeons on his balcony... what they left was NOT eggs. Someone told him to paint the balcony; he did and they were gone the rest of the season. When they came back the next year, he painted, they left. I don't know if it is the smell or that odd rubbery texture paint keeps for so long even after it is dry, but they stayed away. Good luck. (05/08/2008)

By purrplekat

Pigeons on My Balcony

I have pigeons in my balcony in Bombay. I had 2 rounds of litters with 2 eggs each time hatch successfully. They made their nest behind my wash and dryer. Now i am sick of having them. earlier i felt bad and let them do their work.

Reading the suggestion here. I figured placing a thorny cactus like plant behind the washer, in the spot were they always made the nest might work. I have done that.

Plus I have hung 3 ft long AL foil aluminum or aluminum foil hanging from the roof or ledge of the balcony. Let me see what happens.

I cleared the nest, but that thing never worked. Tried the washing the bird poop it never worked. Did a scare crow thing, these birds are too smart.I also threw some naphthalene balls or moth balls. Just in case, though I have read here pigeons can't smell? If this does not work, I will revert. (05/13/2008)

By UK

Pigeons on My Balcony

I live on the penthouse floor, so pigeons are always trying to land on my balcony. Across the street there are new condos that never have birds on their balcony. That's because they have tomato plants (just the plant, not the fruit/veggie). It really works. There's something about the chemical on the plant that they hate! (05/21/2008)

By Jazzel

Pigeons on My Balcony

If you have eggs, get rid of them now! I wish I had. I have had a family of pigeons living on my porch for 2 months now, and I cannot enjoy it because there is bird poop and a horrible smell. The babies take about a month to get big enough to leave. We removed their nest this week, but now they keep coming back, and another one tried to lay more eggs. aaah! I don't know how I'm going to get rid of them. (06/12/2008)

By Bess

Pigeons on My Balcony

Pigeons have an EXTREMELY advanced sense of smell.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1718108.htm (06/12/2008)

By West Texasn

Pigeons on My Balcony

I purchased a wind chime about 1 and 1/2 feet long that is shiny and the 'clanking' pitch is quite high. I hung it from an extended bracket off the side balcony wall. I have found the pigeons don't like the sound or movement. It's a fairly large chime and I sometimes take it down if there is a rain/wind storm, which I did the other night. Well, the next day I saw a pigeon sitting on my rail. I immediately put back the chime. I have a couple of flower pots and I am going to get a small Shepard's hook and dangle a miniature chime on it, centered in the flower pots as well. That way there will be a couple of chimes around all areas. Hope the neighbors don't kill me! (06/20/2008)

By Joanne

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 5, 2008 Flag

I have a pigeon problem! They are invading my balcony. I live on the 4th floor of my building. They are hiding under my BBQ grill and leaving droppings all over the place. Is there a way to get rid of these pesty birds without taking up space on my balcony?

-Josephine

Answers:

Pigeons on my Balcony

I'm not sure this will work, but it's worth a try. How about hanging something out on your balcony that would twist & turn, maybe reflect light. Mail order catalogs have these types of items for sale. Or maybe a colorful windsock that has streamers that will blow in the wind. Perhaps these items would scare the pigeons. Best of Luck! (05/10/2004)

By Terri H.

Pigeons on my Balcony

We use to go to Maui and stay in the same condo; one year we had a pigeon that nested on the balcony ... hubby kept throwing him off the balcony only to see him return.

Finally, we bought a bottle of ammonia and splashed that around his "habitat" and that seemed to take care of the problem while we were there the month.

(05/10/2004)

By Syd

Pigeons on my Balcony

Hang things from the roof of your balcony. I've used those CDs you get free, Things that move generally will scare them away. (05/11/2004)

By Jeannie

Pigeons on my Balcony

If the above ideas don't work, I would recommend installing a net curtain style. That would for sure keep them out! When you're using your balcony, you can always tie it up out of the way. It may be a hassle, but I'm sure it will work if nothing else will! I've seen nets placed around trees to keep the birds from nesting in the branches even. (05/14/2004)

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have the same problem with the pigeons. I live on the 3rd floor, and I just can't take these nasty birds anymore! I like the ideas, and I'm going to try hanging something. If anyone has any other ideas PLEASE let me know! (05/27/2004)

By Stacy

Pigeons on my Balcony

A plastic owl should do the trick. (06/06/2004)

By Lee-Ann

Pigeons on my Balcony

There are several options to scare pigeons away. Visual scare devices such as Terror-Eyes, has a lenticular eyes that simulate the eyes of a predator. Also you might want to try a cheap way to approach the problem like other people had suggested already. Use holographic paper, the patterns produced by its design gets rid of the birds effectively. Another deterrent woul be to use bird spikes and affix them with bird-proof gel.

Try the following link and see how other people with pigeon problems got a solution to their bird problems

http://www.bird-x.com/casestudies/repelbirdpests.pdf

http://www.bird-x.com/casestudies/birdcontrol.pdf

If after reviewing how other people solve their pigeon problems you still have some doubts. You are welcome to contact us at 1 800 662 5021
http://www.bird-x.com(b)(/b) (11/15/2004)

By Edgar Sanchez

Pigeons on my Balcony

I read on another site they don't like the smell of the
shop lubricant -wd40. I haven't tried yet.

Send out the same energy that you wish to receive in life. (03/24/2005)

Pigeons on my Balcony

Will these methods scare away other birds? I want to keep the pigeons away too because they eat everything & then the other birds & squirrels don't have anything to eat. (04/04/2005)

By Vicki

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have a pigeon problem too. I tried WD-40 it didn't work and it's hard to reach the place they are at. I'm gonna buy a bee-bee gun cause I'm sick of them. Someone please call Mother Nature and tell her to please contact me or it's bye bye birdie or fried pigeon tonight! Note: To the activist riding up and down my street: I was just kidding, please don't hurt me or call the Humane Society. (04/28/2005)

By Tina

Pigeons on my Balcony

I use moth balls - they built a nest in the eves of the house in Maryland. We removed the nest but they kept coming back. So I threw a handful of mothballs on all of the eves, and no more pigeons.

Also works in the garden to keep stray cats away, and hanging near the porch to keep bees and wasps away. (06/05/2005)

By Gski6

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have the same problem. The pigeons haven't even bothered with a nest. They just lay their egg right on the concrete on my balcony (twice this week). Bird droppings everywhere. I have tried a plastic owl and hanging strips of a long plastic bag to blow in the wind. Nothing works. (10/12/2005)

By SLW

Pigeons on my Balcony

Using a fishing swivel and some clear fishing line, loop the fishing line through the middle of a cd (compact disc) and tie a knot. I like using those AOL Free 5 gazillion minute CD's you always get in the snail mail from AOL trying you to use them as your internet browser. They work the best because it was free and sent to your front door! Then tie it to the fishing swivel. (the swivel is used to keep the fishing line from tangling when the disc is blowing circles in the wind).Then tie the other end around the opposite side of the swivel and attach it to something that keeps the cd suspended within a few inches where the pigeons like to roost. Use a nail or something. The pigeons are afraid of the flashing from the light reflecting off the cd. (12/31/2005)

By Terry

Pigeon proofing

My name is trevor with all clean gutters in the bay area of California. We do pigeon proofing. screen the eve off and they cant get in but they will try to get back in but a little tanglefoot or hotfoot makes them leave preety quick. if you want any other ideas besides owls because they don't work. email trevor at allcleangutters @ sbcglobal.net (remove spaces) (01/15/2006)

By trevor

Pigeons on my Balcony

I hate pigeons.. they wont go away!.... Please someone help us - (04/08/2006)

By Kate

Pigeons on my Balcony

These pigeons are starting to get on my nerves. I had no
idea they would nest there for so long. I'm waiting for the babies to fly off so I can get rid of the nest and try some of the suggestions I've read to keep them out. What a mess! How soon from the time they hatch till they fly off? (04/25/2006)

By JOHN

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have tried pinwheels, those twirly things, I have a flag on my balcony ... I heard that foil pie plates would work but I have not tried that yet. I also heard that Bounce sheets work just tie a few on the balcony they apparently don't like the smell of that either. I guess the pigeons will eventually get used to it anyways. I think I might have to try making a dummy & sticking it on the balcony. (05/08/2006)

By Tammy

Pigeons on my Balcony

I got rid of pigeons on our balcony easily, I bought chicken wire and cut it into strips and then pointed the frayed wire edges upward. I wired this down to the edges or anywhere that they use as a landing pad. This was way cheaper than buying special "bird spikes" is was been 100% effective. This is a great solution for city dwellers with balconies, I think it would work just as well on houses. The pigeons now avoid our balcony completely. (05/21/2006)

Pigeons on my Balcony

They lay 2 eggs that will hatch in 2wks,than the babies stay another 2 weeks until they can fly.but they return because they feel at home.it may take 1/2 mos to deal with them,you have to be real persistence.i keep spray bottles w/water to squirt at them. I tried to swirly things, didn't work, plus the WD40 didn't work too well, you have to keep spraying. I now have moth balls out,but they still seem to appear, I will try hanging out the bounce to see how it works,any suggestions welcomed (06/02/2006)

By Kay

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have just been informed that pigeons do not have a sense of smell or at least very little, so this is why anything with a scent doesn't work. More than likely it is the movement of something that will deter them. I have just been looking for ideas for my mom, I am going to get her to try the chicken wire, it seems like the best idea so far. Thanks (08/19/2006)

By melanie.

Pigeons on my Balcony

I'm a building manager and have a huge pigeon problem. I will try moth balls and ammonia and let you know if either of these work for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. (03/27/2007)

By Darlene T.

Pigeons on my Balcony

First and most importantly, you MUST stop feeding all critters (birds squirrels, stray cats, etc) Pigeons will eat ANYTHING that is out. Allow them to do what they are naturally born for and go find their food in nature.

Second anything with a "smell" will NOT work. You have only about a 10% chance that it will. Pigeons are persistent and will always return where there is a place to nest or roost. You will HAVE to "enclose" any nesting or roosting area that pigeons are present.

A couple of ideas are to buy vinyl netting and use string to tie the tops and bottoms around these areas. This may require you to buy a couple of dowels to make a frame. Another good option is chicken wire, which is a little more obvious at a glance than the vinyl. Of course there are spikes and electronic devices which you can find online or at a local feed supply store.

A simple "fix" that may help but probably won't complete work, is to hang something that is mirrored or flashy that can easily move with the breeze. If you live in an area that isn't breezy, consider setting a small fan out aimed toward these hangers.

Hope these help. (04/10/2007)

By Chris

Pigeons on my Balcony

I went and bought a plastic owl and put on my balcony. It worked for about 3 days - those darn pigeons are smart! You have to keep moving the owl and after awhile, the pigeons no longer are afraid of the owl soooo unfortunately don't waste your money on buying a plastic owl! I'm still looking for a way to get rid of these pesty guys too! (04/12/2007)

By Katherine

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have the pigeons terrorizing me too lol. I hate them! Finally my husband is putting up screens all around our balcony to keep them out. In our apartments we're not supposed to hang anything like that but I don't care, it's the only thing I've decided will work. (05/11/2007)

By lisa

Pigeons on my Balcony

I just posted, actually I need to know now that I'm all screened in, how do I clean their poop! It's everywhere! I'm about to get out the old rubber gloves and scrub with a bleach/water solution. Email me ideas to safely clean their poop up! elisaanne82 AT yahoo.com (05/11/2007)

By lisa

Pigeons on my Balcony

I'll have you know that two weeks ago, I had not just a baby pigeon living on my balcony, but both the mother and father constantly! what a mess! however, after doing a little research, I put cd's up tied with dental floss (as it pretty much will never break...) and hung up, the pigeons don't like the reflection....and I placed finishing nails and bobby pins(Facing up) on duct tape, and placed that along the railing so that they can't sit down...I've recarpeted my balcony...and no pigeons back for two weeks! Hope this helps! (05/12/2007)

By Jesspiwo

Pigeons on my Balcony

Pigeons are such a pain, I've tried moth balls around my balcony and its done nothing. From what i've heard, the plastic owl doesn't work unless you move it around everyday. I'm going to try cutting chicken wire and placing it straight up to stab them in the feet. I'm also going to buy a shiny metallic wind chime to hang up because I've heard they don't like shiny things (something to do with blinding them when they try to land) I'll let you know it any of the above works. (05/18/2007)

By Lala

Pigeons on my Balcony

I thought I was the only person going through this!! LOL. About a month ago, a pigeon laid her eggs in a nest on my balcony. My fiance thought it was cute and he told me not to get rid of the nest because of the trouble they went through individually bringing up each twig. I felt bad, so I let them stay. BIG mistake. In about a week, my balcony looked like the county jail bathroom floor. It was disgusting! Poop everywhere... I mean everywhere. Now our late night hang out spot with a lake view, wasn't so appealing anymore! So after the two babies hatched, I thought they would be gone in about two weeks, but it wasn't going to be that easy. The babies were growing rapidly, but one month later, and they still weren't flying away. Then I woke up one day to notice they were getting close to the edge and I knew they would go away soon enough. Still not that easy! The next day the pigeon laid yet another egg!! Then the morning after that, two more eggs!!! I was definitely not having it! I had no choice but to remove the eggs. PLEASE do the same if it happens to you. They won't stop coming. The parents still try coming to my balcony, but I just read the articles below and I am going to try some of the tactics. Tried the plastic owl, and no it does not work. They are not dumb creatures... they are street smart... and they catch on. I think the shiny things might work and the chicken wire. Good Luck to all and remember: exterminate them when you get the chance. (05/18/2007)

By Carmen

Pigeons on my Balcony

I feel your pain people! I've not had a problem with the neighborhood pigeons until this winter, when I tied up my charcoal grill "with a cover on it=big mistake" on my third floor balcony, and guess what! Yup, as I went out to open up the deck this April, a pigeon family had built a big nest under the grill and two newborn babies were under there...I had to wait 4 weeks until they could fly, but the first time I saw them fly off the deck, I quickly swept the nest right off the roof and used hot, hot water to wash away all the debris, poop, etc! Now they have no place to hide over here, they always will look for something to hide under, so if you can keep your deck or patio more open, and no 'hiding' spots, they will move on eventually, you'll just have to scare them off the first few times if they come back to stand around from habit. As far as the hanging "CD" idea, I will try that too, for future prevention, thanks! (05/19/2007)

By Eric

Pigeons on my Balcony

I had a pigeon lay two eggs on the balcony, then the next week one egg went missing. The other egg hatched and the baby pigeon started to grow. Which I thought was a little cute. Then I came home yesterday and saw that it had been killed and its head was missing. So gross. So I want no more pigeons on my balcon!! I think I am going to try the tanglefoot bird repellent. Hopefully its not too toxic. Has anyone tried it? (05/28/2007)

By Tracey

Pigeons on my Balcony

Folks, I found the cure! Just dangle a cd from the outside side of the railing on your balcony and you're done - honest. The light reflecting off of the cd scares them off. I hung mine about a foot from the railing and it did the trick. The cd kept hitting the vertical poles in the railing (from the wind) which made noise, so I wrapped some wool around the poles near the cd and presto - no noise, and no pigeons. It's amazing. (05/31/2007)

By Jerry G

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have the same problem. The management says we can have a net, but I can't find one so far. (06/11/2007)

By moqi.

Pigeons on my Balcony

I found a cheap way to keep them off. You'll need the following

1) 2-3 spring loaded shower curtain rods (About $10 Cdn each)
2) bird netting for gardens, I bought 25x7ft for ($7 Cdn)
3) Plastic Ties (10 for $1.50)

I put up the shower curtain rods at either end of my balcony and one in the middle

Then I pulled the netting between them and attached is using the plastic ties. This kept the birds off and didn't damage my rental property in any way. In the picture you'll also see 2 slinkies stretched across the railing (the birds started landing there) - they don't like landing on slinkys so now I have no birds at all!

notaworkaholic AT hotmail DOT com
(06/16/2007)

By Carmen M.

Pigeons on my Balcony

I've just found the answer to all your problems. If you want the pigeons to leave your balcony forever just get a bucket full of water and try your best to hit straight on. They will be terrified and will never come back. And if they do just get another bucket of water. BELIEVE ME...IT WILL WORK! (06/18/2007)

By Solution

Pigeons on my Balcony

All these suggestions were very good, thank you. I thought the CDs were the quickest and most inexpensive solution to try so I duct taped about a dozen CDs to the railings of the balcony and I watched the pigeons head towards our unit but then go to the lower unit and then to the upper unit (I hope my neighbors forgive me but we just had our balcony recarpeted because we have a newborn). We have been pigeon free for two days now where previously they were coming everyday and we were constantly chasing them off. If they come back, I'll retract my post! :) (06/25/2007)

By Lisa C.

Pigeons on my roof

I have pigeons on my roof. The problem is that my house is built tall and it is very difficult to get on top of the roof. Do you guys have any idea what I can do. (07/01/2007)

By Shawn

Pigeons on my Balcony

Best solution. Get a cat. Our condo is swarming with pigeons but they don't come onto our balcony. Our 2 cats are out there constantly and the pigeons are afraid of them. Meanwhile, the neighbour next door has a balcony that is blanketed with pigeon poop. It's really horrible. (07/01/2007)

By

Pigeons on my Balcony

Has anyone tried fishing wire? If so, what's the best way to rig it? I live on the top floor of an apartment building so I have no overhangs, and it's mostly cement and I'm not sure my Association will let us drill into it.

Let me just say, "my" pigeons are smart buggers! I've tried plants (didn't work), tried spikes (they seem to find their way around), tried chicken wire (they still land on it despite it poking upwards), and tried netting on the plants (they still land). Short of hiring someone to come and take them away (although I know that they would just come back), I am trying the fishing wire. But I would love some tips on rigging a system since I'm sick of wasting money on these pigeons (I swear they are laughing at me).

Thank you. (07/12/2007)

By CubsFan

Pigeons on my Balcony

Pigeons have been roosting on our porch - no nest, but they hang out there and leave shize everywhere! So our battle began. With a bit of creative thought, we did a little project that is meant to replace the expensive commercial wires.

Birdy Barbwire on a Budget

Materials Needed

• Bobby Pins
  • String
  • Sticky packing tape

Directions

• Measure area that needs to be covered
  • Cut string slightly longer
  • Fold open bobby pins
  • Tie to the string about 1-2 inches apart
  • Place tape, sticky side up (same length as string) on flat surface
  • Put the string directly down the middle of the tape (ensure that the pins lay flat.
  • Fold over the tape to match the other side, enclosing the pins within it.
  • Voila, a strip of pigeon barbwire
  • Fasten to the area that needs to be covered.

For extra measure, we tied gift ribbon - nice sparkly silver - we cut it long to hang in the breeze. At least it looks festive, unlike a metal pie plate.

(07/14/2007)

By Amanda & Margareth.

Pigeons on my Balcony

I live on the top floor of an apartment and over a month ago a pigeon couple arrived on my balcony, nested and the female laid two eggs. I was told to sweep the whole nest off the balcony, but my conscience wouldn't let me do it. I thought they'd leave soon after the births. Oh no! They're still there. What's worse is now the proud new parents are receiving guests to view their newborns. There were 8 pigeons on my balcony this morning. I'm assuming they're the aunts, uncles and cousins. Anyway, it's time for the group to leave. I've asked around for ways to evict them. Some of the suggestions were to lay rubber snakes out, display an Owl and lastly to place moth balls in the nest and around the balcony. I don't want to kill them ... I want them to just go live somewhere else. (07/24/2007)

By Steve

Pigeons on my Balcony

I've put out all kinds of different plants on our balcony and less pigeons are coming. I'm trying the CD thing 1st thing tomorrow. but theres a piece of wood missing from the outside part of our roof and these pigeons have crawled inside and set up camp. I hear them walking and scratching all day. Someone give me an idea to get them out of there. Please...thanks

itzmizz AT gmail.com
(09/30/2007)

By meli mel

Pigeons on my Balcony

Could someone please post a picture or broader description of how to hang the Cds? I don't think hanging from the ceiling is an option (Rental). (01/09/2008)

By HR

Pigeons on my Balcony

Yes, I have pigeons too! At first my boyfriend who just moved here from Holland loved them, calling them doves, but some time has passed and they have become a big problem. I finally brought a plastic owl and it has basically done nothing! I don't know what to do, let alone how to clean it? (01/10/2008)

By Laura

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have two pigeons on my balcony. I am sick n tired of those flying rats. I've thrown about 4 nests over the balcony (no eggs involved) and they keep coming back! I just put up cd's and they flew away! Haven't been back yet! Thank gawd! (03/06/2008)

By ANDREA

Pigeons on my Balcony

The best thing to do is to make a string hold up about half way down your balcony and the string colour should be blue.
Recommended for Pigeons on a balcony.
TRY it.

99.9% (04/07/2008)

Pigeons on my Balcony

Just take a long strip of aluminum foil and tape it to the back wall or balcony rail (SHINEY SIDE OUT!) and your problem is solved. And it doesn't look as bad as hanging CDs does. It's a great idea the CDs but for the interior design conscious it's not the best idea. (04/09/2008)

By Harrison

Pigeons on my Balcony

These birds are diving me crazy! I've lived in my place for 12 years and last year this problem began. This season it's out of control. I can't get a good night's sleep, they're out there coo-ing at 5:00am and are now laying eggs on the surface of my balcony, no nest at all. I built a hanging thing with sharp nails hanging off of it and they've figured it out already. I am compassionate and was going to leave the eggs there because I felt bad, but after reading all the similar posts, the eggs are being relocated tomorrow and there will be some CD's swinging from the balcony by tomorrow evening! Thanks for the insight, I seriously hope it works! (04/20/2008)

By John S.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control BirdsSeptember 21, 2016
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Five Pigeons
Getting Rid of Pigeons
Patio and Balcony Gardening
Patio and Balcony Gardening
🎉
🎄