Pigeons on My Balcony

Please help me get rid of pigeons on a my balcony. I have tied foil pie plates, wind chimes, and colored plastic bags to try to deter them and nothing is working. I live in an apartment building so am not allowed to put up any kind of netting or permanent structures.

abbycat1950

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I am having major problems with the pigeons on my balcony. I am trying the cd method, wish me luck. So far the cd method is not working for me. I will try it for a few days. Hopefully it will work. If not I will be trying something else as the birds aka flying rats will not win this war. So far the flying rats have the upper hand but I am determined not to give up. As Clint Eastwood says. "GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY."

I am so glad that I found this site. I will be trying all your ideas until something works. My problem is worse though because the nest was not on my balcony it is on my nextdoor neighbors. And they have no problem with it. Like others I have read when I first saw some eggs on their balcony I thought it was cool. I watched them hatch and get bigger, but the problem is they are like their own community and all the other freakin' pigeons sit on my balcony to watch them. I am trying an owl first because I saw one across the way, but anything to remove these birds will be ok. thanks to everyone who sent ideas if I find something new I will share it. Good luck everyone.

Thanks to everyone who's posted here. I had no idea this was such a common problem. My wife and I live in a top-floor apt. and came home after a vacation to find a nest with an egg. Cute at first, but I'm sure glad I found this site. Got rid of it immediately this morning and just hung a CD after chasing the persistent flying rats away from the balcony all day. If this works, I'll be letting y'all know. Good luck to everyone else who's having urban problem.

The owl DID NOT work! Even the type that moves and makes noise. Am trying W-D40 and Aluminum Tins. Will let you know. At least I am not the only one and yes, sure I thought they were cute to begin with (animal lover and all) but now?

I don't mind pigeon around my balcony but one thing that bother me is that every time they stopped by pay me a visit they POOED! Even more they're worst than random active car theft alarm would go off once every 20 mins! I will try the cd thing but I'm a bit interior conscious person and I don't have any other choice. Will let you guys know the result.

Seems like everyone has a problem with these sky rats. How about Bleach? Like, spraying your balcony with bleach? I'm going to try it. Hopefully it works!

I had the same problem with pigeons on my balcony. I read somewhere that the smell of tomatoes might keep them off and guess what? I planted tomatoes on my balcony a month ago and have not seen a single pigeon since! Hope this will help you too.

I tried the bucket of water and it actually did work, for today. But this is the longest that they have stayed off my balcony and if they come back I will splash them again. It's harmless so I really don't feel bad. Who new something so simple would work.

Those pigeons are the worst thing in the world. But after visiting this site, I have a lots of ideas and I'm gonna try that. I hope it works. Please guys, wish me luck!

Pigeon excrement is toxic and can harm pets and small children Also they will eat that black tar paper on your roof, I think it is called flash paper. The only thing that worked for me was a professional service, nothing else.

I also have pigeons on my roof. I live in a three story house in Washington, DC. The pigeons nest on the roof, and their droppings fall on the porch below. It's not easy to get on the roof. Does anyone have a solution?

My pigeon laid 2 eggs on my balcony and 2 chicks came out. It started learning how to fly after 5 months only 1 chick came home but not the other I was worried. So can you guys help me, please? Thank you!

It is very important that you remove pigeons immediately. I had pigeons nest in my balcony for a while (my kids thought is was cute). One day all three of us noticed bites. I found very small insects everywhere in the apartment (they are smaller that fleas). I called a company and they had to fumigate the entire house. They told me they came from the pigeons. Do yourselves a favour get rid of pigeons before you have an infestation.

Ok spring is back and those little birds are looking for a spot to nest. In the past hour I've chased them off 4 times. So I sprayed all my balcony panels with wd40. Lets see what happens.

Pump action Pellet gun, from about 5 feet= No more Pigeons.

I also got suckered into the egg-laying and watching and hatching rubbish but was disgusted by the mess that the pigeons left. Was horrified when they returned the following year but still could not being myself to ditch the eggs. I was absolutely determined not to repeat the whole nasty business this year so when they started their regular gatherings on the balcony i strung up about a dozen cd's and I can't believe it! I haven't seen a pigeon since! Don't know how it works, maybe when they fly towards the cd's the holographic effect disrupts their homing radar or something - but whatever, I am absolutely delighted!

The Owl thing sometimes works, and yet sometimes the pigeons will perch on it as if to say, "Ha ha! Didn't work!"

I thought to have a prettier reflective item, I would use the mini 'disco ball' It worked for about a week. I had several wind chimes etc. which also only worked long enough for the birds to get used to them. I have been away for a couple of weeks, and today, I found a nest with 2 eggs in it. Before reading any of these posts, I discarded it. I spent the whole of last summer waiting for it to rain hard enough to be 'allowed' to use the power washer to clean it so I could enjoy the balcony with my daughter (this rarely happened). I bought a net last year but couldn't figure out how to hang it. Today I am going to buy some shower curtain rods and slinkys.I'll keep you posted on how well it works. Wish me luck!

You don't really need to hang up a lot of CD's in order for it to work. All I did was stick 2 CD's on the railing of my balcony and I haven't seen a single pigeon on my balcony since! I could have just gotten lucky though.

The CD thing does not work! I have my CD's more than 20 feet away from the pidgeons and they are not phazed.

I discarded an egg and nest when it appeared on my balcony and I am pleased to say that the pigeon problem disappeared after that.

I too came home from vacation to find two pigeon eggs on my balcony and didn't have the heart to get rid of them. I have to say that was the biggest mistake i have ever made because now they just won't leave! So finally they are old enough to fly, so I invested in a plastic Owl and let me tell you it was a waste of money. They now just hang out with the owl. The amount of pigeone poop on my belcony is overwhelming! I have cleaned it with beach and water. I am going to try the CD's and see if they work, but I have also heard the moth balls also work. Apparently they don't like the smell of it. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

I have 2 loving pigeons keep coming back to my balcony. I have some pots with soil because the plants we dead from last summer. I tried putting curry powder, aluminum foils and now I am out of ideas. I will try the tomatoes if it works for you. Hopefully it works for me too.

I want them gone

They were living in my bbq next to the propane tank. I tried and tried to chase them away. Removed a nest with 2 eggs and threw it out, they kept coming back. I sprayed the inside of my bbq with oven cleaner and haven't seen them since.

I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex and have a balcony garden. The balcony has wide grills. The pigeon menace was crazy, with them dirtying my balcony and most of all destroying my plants!

Considering I live in a rented place, I did not want to spend too much money on netting, so tried the scarecrow, hung CDs, stuck aluminium foil flags in the pots and none of them worked for more than a week. I finally decided to mimic the netted mesh balconies using a ball of twine and a cut up mosquito net and it has worked wonders! Its been a month and my balcony has been pigeon free.

Here is how I did it:

The top 3 quarters of the balcony grill has horizontal metal bars running parallel to each other at a distance of about 1ft with parallel vertical bars at a distance of 1ft. The lower part of the balcony grill has only horizontal bars parallel to each other. So this would allow the pigeons to freely move in and out and pretty much destroy all my plants.

So I started with my ball of twine at one end of the balcony and criss-crossed the twine across the grills. For the lower part I bought a cheap light coloured mosquito net (so that light would not be blocked) and cut it up to open into one long piece which I then tied across the lower part of the balcony.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

June 30, 2008 Flag

Pigeons won't leave my balcony and they are making nests and laying eggs. At times they first lay the eggs and then gather the sticks around. What is the best way to get rid of them without hurting them or hurting the eggs?

Nirad

Answers:

Pigeons on my Balcony

I did jury duty at the my local courthouse.Looking out the window I counted 22 plastic owls on the ledges ans even more pigeons nestled among the plastic owls. (05/06/2008)

By Harry

Pigeons on My Balcony

We live on Maui. A pair of pigeons kept trying to make a nest on our lanai. Finally we decided to let them. They did... a few dried palm fronds in a little circle in the corner. A few days later, 2 eggs. A couple weeks later, 2 chicks. The parents, whom we named Marguerita and Jorge (for why? we're not Latino and Maui pigeons are probably not either!). They were devoted parents, Jorge sat on the eggs by day, Marg by night. They both then fed the babies, providing a milk-like substance from their own mouths. In less than 3 weeks Minnie and Marmaduke were nearly full grown, and one day took off on their own.

We've since read up and learned that pigeons are much-loved pets, for many people; that they mate for life, are devoted to their young, and, we've found, confine their droppings mainly to the nest area, which is now a box in the corner of the lanai. A little extra vacuuming isn't a big deal for us. It's fun watching them come and go, hearing the baby chicks peep when food arrives, seeing them venture out, flap their wings, and finally learn how to fly.

To date, these are our only pigeons, and we would discourage more camping out here. But perhaps they're territorial and no extras would be permitted, or would even want to nest here.

For us, it was a peaceful and interesting solution to an otherwise annoying problem. of course, we're in the tropics, and the lanai is an extension of the living room. Might not be so much fun if we were inside for the winter and unable to clean up regularly...

If we decide to relocate our birds, we'll try some of the listed suggestions on discouraging more boarders.

Aloha! (05/06/2008)

By Felicity

Pigeons on My Balcony

I have a friend who had pigeons on his balcony... what they left was NOT eggs. Someone told him to paint the balcony; he did and they were gone the rest of the season. When they came back the next year, he painted, they left. I don't know if it is the smell or that odd rubbery texture paint keeps for so long even after it is dry, but they stayed away. Good luck. (05/08/2008)

By purrplekat

Pigeons on My Balcony

I have pigeons in my balcony in Bombay. I had 2 rounds of litters with 2 eggs each time hatch successfully. They made their nest behind my wash and dryer. Now i am sick of having them. earlier i felt bad and let them do their work.

Reading the suggestion here. I figured placing a thorny cactus like plant behind the washer, in the spot were they always made the nest might work. I have done that.

Plus I have hung 3 ft long AL foil aluminum or aluminum foil hanging from the roof or ledge of the balcony. Let me see what happens.

I cleared the nest, but that thing never worked. Tried the washing the bird poop it never worked. Did a scare crow thing, these birds are too smart.I also threw some naphthalene balls or moth balls. Just in case, though I have read here pigeons can't smell? If this does not work, I will revert. (05/13/2008)

By UK

Pigeons on My Balcony

I live on the penthouse floor, so pigeons are always trying to land on my balcony. Across the street there are new condos that never have birds on their balcony. That's because they have tomato plants (just the plant, not the fruit/veggie). It really works. There's something about the chemical on the plant that they hate! (05/21/2008)

By Jazzel

Pigeons on My Balcony

If you have eggs, get rid of them now! I wish I had. I have had a family of pigeons living on my porch for 2 months now, and I cannot enjoy it because there is bird poop and a horrible smell. The babies take about a month to get big enough to leave. We removed their nest this week, but now they keep coming back, and another one tried to lay more eggs. aaah! I don't know how I'm going to get rid of them. (06/12/2008)

By Bess

Pigeons on My Balcony

Pigeons have an EXTREMELY advanced sense of smell.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1718108.htm (06/12/2008)

By West Texasn

Pigeons on My Balcony

I purchased a wind chime about 1 and 1/2 feet long that is shiny and the 'clanking' pitch is quite high. I hung it from an extended bracket off the side balcony wall. I have found the pigeons don't like the sound or movement. It's a fairly large chime and I sometimes take it down if there is a rain/wind storm, which I did the other night. Well, the next day I saw a pigeon sitting on my rail. I immediately put back the chime. I have a couple of flower pots and I am going to get a small Shepard's hook and dangle a miniature chime on it, centered in the flower pots as well. That way there will be a couple of chimes around all areas. Hope the neighbors don't kill me! (06/20/2008)

By Joanne

May 5, 2008 Flag

I have a pigeon problem! They are invading my balcony. I live on the 4th floor of my building. They are hiding under my BBQ grill and leaving droppings all over the place. Is there a way to get rid of these pesty birds without taking up space on my balcony?

-Josephine

Answers:

Pigeons on my Balcony

I'm not sure this will work, but it's worth a try. How about hanging something out on your balcony that would twist & turn, maybe reflect light. Mail order catalogs have these types of items for sale. Or maybe a colorful windsock that has streamers that will blow in the wind. Perhaps these items would scare the pigeons. Best of Luck! (05/10/2004)

By Terri H.

Pigeons on my Balcony

We use to go to Maui and stay in the same condo; one year we had a pigeon that nested on the balcony ... hubby kept throwing him off the balcony only to see him return.

Finally, we bought a bottle of ammonia and splashed that around his "habitat" and that seemed to take care of the problem while we were there the month.

(05/10/2004)

By Syd

Pigeons on my Balcony

Hang things from the roof of your balcony. I've used those CDs you get free, Things that move generally will scare them away. (05/11/2004)

By Jeannie

Pigeons on my Balcony

If the above ideas don't work, I would recommend installing a net curtain style. That would for sure keep them out! When you're using your balcony, you can always tie it up out of the way. It may be a hassle, but I'm sure it will work if nothing else will! I've seen nets placed around trees to keep the birds from nesting in the branches even. (05/14/2004)

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have the same problem with the pigeons. I live on the 3rd floor, and I just can't take these nasty birds anymore! I like the ideas, and I'm going to try hanging something. If anyone has any other ideas PLEASE let me know! (05/27/2004)

By Stacy

Pigeons on my Balcony

A plastic owl should do the trick. (06/06/2004)

By Lee-Ann

Pigeons on my Balcony

There are several options to scare pigeons away. Visual scare devices such as Terror-Eyes, has a lenticular eyes that simulate the eyes of a predator. Also you might want to try a cheap way to approach the problem like other people had suggested already. Use holographic paper, the patterns produced by its design gets rid of the birds effectively. Another deterrent woul be to use bird spikes and affix them with bird-proof gel.

Try the following link and see how other people with pigeon problems got a solution to their bird problems

http://www.bird-x.com/casestudies/repelbirdpests.pdf

http://www.bird-x.com/casestudies/birdcontrol.pdf

If after reviewing how other people solve their pigeon problems you still have some doubts. You are welcome to contact us at 1 800 662 5021
http://www.bird-x.com(b)(/b) (11/15/2004)

By Edgar Sanchez

Pigeons on my Balcony

I read on another site they don't like the smell of the
shop lubricant -wd40. I haven't tried yet.

Send out the same energy that you wish to receive in life. (03/24/2005)

Pigeons on my Balcony

Will these methods scare away other birds? I want to keep the pigeons away too because they eat everything & then the other birds & squirrels don't have anything to eat. (04/04/2005)

By Vicki

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have a pigeon problem too. I tried WD-40 it didn't work and it's hard to reach the place they are at. I'm gonna buy a bee-bee gun cause I'm sick of them. Someone please call Mother Nature and tell her to please contact me or it's bye bye birdie or fried pigeon tonight! Note: To the activist riding up and down my street: I was just kidding, please don't hurt me or call the Humane Society. (04/28/2005)

By Tina

Pigeons on my Balcony

I use moth balls - they built a nest in the eves of the house in Maryland. We removed the nest but they kept coming back. So I threw a handful of mothballs on all of the eves, and no more pigeons.

Also works in the garden to keep stray cats away, and hanging near the porch to keep bees and wasps away. (06/05/2005)

By Gski6

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have the same problem. The pigeons haven't even bothered with a nest. They just lay their egg right on the concrete on my balcony (twice this week). Bird droppings everywhere. I have tried a plastic owl and hanging strips of a long plastic bag to blow in the wind. Nothing works. (10/12/2005)

By SLW

Pigeons on my Balcony

Using a fishing swivel and some clear fishing line, loop the fishing line through the middle of a cd (compact disc) and tie a knot. I like using those AOL Free 5 gazillion minute CD's you always get in the snail mail from AOL trying you to use them as your internet browser. They work the best because it was free and sent to your front door! Then tie it to the fishing swivel. (the swivel is used to keep the fishing line from tangling when the disc is blowing circles in the wind).Then tie the other end around the opposite side of the swivel and attach it to something that keeps the cd suspended within a few inches where the pigeons like to roost. Use a nail or something. The pigeons are afraid of the flashing from the light reflecting off the cd. (12/31/2005)

By Terry

Pigeon proofing

My name is trevor with all clean gutters in the bay area of California. We do pigeon proofing. screen the eve off and they cant get in but they will try to get back in but a little tanglefoot or hotfoot makes them leave preety quick. if you want any other ideas besides owls because they don't work. email trevor at allcleangutters @ sbcglobal.net (remove spaces) (01/15/2006)

By trevor

Pigeons on my Balcony

I hate pigeons.. they wont go away!.... Please someone help us - (04/08/2006)

By Kate

Pigeons on my Balcony

These pigeons are starting to get on my nerves. I had no
idea they would nest there for so long. I'm waiting for the babies to fly off so I can get rid of the nest and try some of the suggestions I've read to keep them out. What a mess! How soon from the time they hatch till they fly off? (04/25/2006)

By JOHN

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have tried pinwheels, those twirly things, I have a flag on my balcony ... I heard that foil pie plates would work but I have not tried that yet. I also heard that Bounce sheets work just tie a few on the balcony they apparently don't like the smell of that either. I guess the pigeons will eventually get used to it anyways. I think I might have to try making a dummy & sticking it on the balcony. (05/08/2006)

By Tammy

Pigeons on my Balcony

I got rid of pigeons on our balcony easily, I bought chicken wire and cut it into strips and then pointed the frayed wire edges upward. I wired this down to the edges or anywhere that they use as a landing pad. This was way cheaper than buying special "bird spikes" is was been 100% effective. This is a great solution for city dwellers with balconies, I think it would work just as well on houses. The pigeons now avoid our balcony completely. (05/21/2006)

Pigeons on my Balcony

They lay 2 eggs that will hatch in 2wks,than the babies stay another 2 weeks until they can fly.but they return because they feel at home.it may take 1/2 mos to deal with them,you have to be real persistence.i keep spray bottles w/water to squirt at them. I tried to swirly things, didn't work, plus the WD40 didn't work too well, you have to keep spraying. I now have moth balls out,but they still seem to appear, I will try hanging out the bounce to see how it works,any suggestions welcomed (06/02/2006)

By Kay

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have just been informed that pigeons do not have a sense of smell or at least very little, so this is why anything with a scent doesn't work. More than likely it is the movement of something that will deter them. I have just been looking for ideas for my mom, I am going to get her to try the chicken wire, it seems like the best idea so far. Thanks (08/19/2006)

By melanie.

Pigeons on my Balcony

I'm a building manager and have a huge pigeon problem. I will try moth balls and ammonia and let you know if either of these work for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. (03/27/2007)

By Darlene T.

Pigeons on my Balcony

First and most importantly, you MUST stop feeding all critters (birds squirrels, stray cats, etc) Pigeons will eat ANYTHING that is out. Allow them to do what they are naturally born for and go find their food in nature.

Second anything with a "smell" will NOT work. You have only about a 10% chance that it will. Pigeons are persistent and will always return where there is a place to nest or roost. You will HAVE to "enclose" any nesting or roosting area that pigeons are present.

A couple of ideas are to buy vinyl netting and use string to tie the tops and bottoms around these areas. This may require you to buy a couple of dowels to make a frame. Another good option is chicken wire, which is a little more obvious at a glance than the vinyl. Of course there are spikes and electronic devices which you can find online or at a local feed supply store.

A simple "fix" that may help but probably won't complete work, is to hang something that is mirrored or flashy that can easily move with the breeze. If you live in an area that isn't breezy, consider setting a small fan out aimed toward these hangers.

Hope these help. (04/10/2007)

By Chris

Pigeons on my Balcony

I went and bought a plastic owl and put on my balcony. It worked for about 3 days - those darn pigeons are smart! You have to keep moving the owl and after awhile, the pigeons no longer are afraid of the owl soooo unfortunately don't waste your money on buying a plastic owl! I'm still looking for a way to get rid of these pesty guys too! (04/12/2007)

By Katherine

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have the pigeons terrorizing me too lol. I hate them! Finally my husband is putting up screens all around our balcony to keep them out. In our apartments we're not supposed to hang anything like that but I don't care, it's the only thing I've decided will work. (05/11/2007)

By lisa

Pigeons on my Balcony

I just posted, actually I need to know now that I'm all screened in, how do I clean their poop! It's everywhere! I'm about to get out the old rubber gloves and scrub with a bleach/water solution. Email me ideas to safely clean their poop up! elisaanne82 AT yahoo.com (05/11/2007)

By lisa

Pigeons on my Balcony

I'll have you know that two weeks ago, I had not just a baby pigeon living on my balcony, but both the mother and father constantly! what a mess! however, after doing a little research, I put cd's up tied with dental floss (as it pretty much will never break...) and hung up, the pigeons don't like the reflection....and I placed finishing nails and bobby pins(Facing up) on duct tape, and placed that along the railing so that they can't sit down...I've recarpeted my balcony...and no pigeons back for two weeks! Hope this helps! (05/12/2007)

By Jesspiwo

Pigeons on my Balcony

Pigeons are such a pain, I've tried moth balls around my balcony and its done nothing. From what i've heard, the plastic owl doesn't work unless you move it around everyday. I'm going to try cutting chicken wire and placing it straight up to stab them in the feet. I'm also going to buy a shiny metallic wind chime to hang up because I've heard they don't like shiny things (something to do with blinding them when they try to land) I'll let you know it any of the above works. (05/18/2007)

By Lala

Pigeons on my Balcony

I thought I was the only person going through this!! LOL. About a month ago, a pigeon laid her eggs in a nest on my balcony. My fiance thought it was cute and he told me not to get rid of the nest because of the trouble they went through individually bringing up each twig. I felt bad, so I let them stay. BIG mistake. In about a week, my balcony looked like the county jail bathroom floor. It was disgusting! Poop everywhere... I mean everywhere. Now our late night hang out spot with a lake view, wasn't so appealing anymore! So after the two babies hatched, I thought they would be gone in about two weeks, but it wasn't going to be that easy. The babies were growing rapidly, but one month later, and they still weren't flying away. Then I woke up one day to notice they were getting close to the edge and I knew they would go away soon enough. Still not that easy! The next day the pigeon laid yet another egg!! Then the morning after that, two more eggs!!! I was definitely not having it! I had no choice but to remove the eggs. PLEASE do the same if it happens to you. They won't stop coming. The parents still try coming to my balcony, but I just read the articles below and I am going to try some of the tactics. Tried the plastic owl, and no it does not work. They are not dumb creatures... they are street smart... and they catch on. I think the shiny things might work and the chicken wire. Good Luck to all and remember: exterminate them when you get the chance. (05/18/2007)

By Carmen

Pigeons on my Balcony

I feel your pain people! I've not had a problem with the neighborhood pigeons until this winter, when I tied up my charcoal grill "with a cover on it=big mistake" on my third floor balcony, and guess what! Yup, as I went out to open up the deck this April, a pigeon family had built a big nest under the grill and two newborn babies were under there...I had to wait 4 weeks until they could fly, but the first time I saw them fly off the deck, I quickly swept the nest right off the roof and used hot, hot water to wash away all the debris, poop, etc! Now they have no place to hide over here, they always will look for something to hide under, so if you can keep your deck or patio more open, and no 'hiding' spots, they will move on eventually, you'll just have to scare them off the first few times if they come back to stand around from habit. As far as the hanging "CD" idea, I will try that too, for future prevention, thanks! (05/19/2007)

By Eric

Pigeons on my Balcony

I had a pigeon lay two eggs on the balcony, then the next week one egg went missing. The other egg hatched and the baby pigeon started to grow. Which I thought was a little cute. Then I came home yesterday and saw that it had been killed and its head was missing. So gross. So I want no more pigeons on my balcon!! I think I am going to try the tanglefoot bird repellent. Hopefully its not too toxic. Has anyone tried it? (05/28/2007)

By Tracey

Pigeons on my Balcony

Folks, I found the cure! Just dangle a cd from the outside side of the railing on your balcony and you're done - honest. The light reflecting off of the cd scares them off. I hung mine about a foot from the railing and it did the trick. The cd kept hitting the vertical poles in the railing (from the wind) which made noise, so I wrapped some wool around the poles near the cd and presto - no noise, and no pigeons. It's amazing. (05/31/2007)

By Jerry G

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have the same problem. The management says we can have a net, but I can't find one so far. (06/11/2007)

By moqi.

Pigeons on my Balcony

I found a cheap way to keep them off. You'll need the following

1) 2-3 spring loaded shower curtain rods (About $10 Cdn each)
2) bird netting for gardens, I bought 25x7ft for ($7 Cdn)
3) Plastic Ties (10 for $1.50)

I put up the shower curtain rods at either end of my balcony and one in the middle

Then I pulled the netting between them and attached is using the plastic ties. This kept the birds off and didn't damage my rental property in any way. In the picture you'll also see 2 slinkies stretched across the railing (the birds started landing there) - they don't like landing on slinkys so now I have no birds at all!

notaworkaholic AT hotmail DOT com
(06/16/2007)

By Carmen M.

RE: Pigeons on my Balcony

Pigeons on my Balcony

I've just found the answer to all your problems. If you want the pigeons to leave your balcony forever just get a bucket full of water and try your best to hit straight on. They will be terrified and will never come back. And if they do just get another bucket of water. BELIEVE ME...IT WILL WORK! (06/18/2007)

By Solution

Pigeons on my Balcony

All these suggestions were very good, thank you. I thought the CDs were the quickest and most inexpensive solution to try so I duct taped about a dozen CDs to the railings of the balcony and I watched the pigeons head towards our unit but then go to the lower unit and then to the upper unit (I hope my neighbors forgive me but we just had our balcony recarpeted because we have a newborn). We have been pigeon free for two days now where previously they were coming everyday and we were constantly chasing them off. If they come back, I'll retract my post! :) (06/25/2007)

By Lisa C.

Pigeons on my roof

I have pigeons on my roof. The problem is that my house is built tall and it is very difficult to get on top of the roof. Do you guys have any idea what I can do. (07/01/2007)

By Shawn

Pigeons on my Balcony

Best solution. Get a cat. Our condo is swarming with pigeons but they don't come onto our balcony. Our 2 cats are out there constantly and the pigeons are afraid of them. Meanwhile, the neighbour next door has a balcony that is blanketed with pigeon poop. It's really horrible. (07/01/2007)

By

Pigeons on my Balcony

Has anyone tried fishing wire? If so, what's the best way to rig it? I live on the top floor of an apartment building so I have no overhangs, and it's mostly cement and I'm not sure my Association will let us drill into it.

Let me just say, "my" pigeons are smart buggers! I've tried plants (didn't work), tried spikes (they seem to find their way around), tried chicken wire (they still land on it despite it poking upwards), and tried netting on the plants (they still land). Short of hiring someone to come and take them away (although I know that they would just come back), I am trying the fishing wire. But I would love some tips on rigging a system since I'm sick of wasting money on these pigeons (I swear they are laughing at me).

Thank you. (07/12/2007)

By CubsFan

Pigeons on my Balcony

Pigeons have been roosting on our porch - no nest, but they hang out there and leave shize everywhere! So our battle began. With a bit of creative thought, we did a little project that is meant to replace the expensive commercial wires.

Birdy Barbwire on a Budget

Materials Needed

• Bobby Pins
  • String
  • Sticky packing tape

Directions

• Measure area that needs to be covered
  • Cut string slightly longer
  • Fold open bobby pins
  • Tie to the string about 1-2 inches apart
  • Place tape, sticky side up (same length as string) on flat surface
  • Put the string directly down the middle of the tape (ensure that the pins lay flat.
  • Fold over the tape to match the other side, enclosing the pins within it.
  • Voila, a strip of pigeon barbwire
  • Fasten to the area that needs to be covered.

For extra measure, we tied gift ribbon - nice sparkly silver - we cut it long to hang in the breeze. At least it looks festive, unlike a metal pie plate.

(07/14/2007)

By Amanda & Margareth.

Pigeons on my Balcony

I live on the top floor of an apartment and over a month ago a pigeon couple arrived on my balcony, nested and the female laid two eggs. I was told to sweep the whole nest off the balcony, but my conscience wouldn't let me do it. I thought they'd leave soon after the births. Oh no! They're still there. What's worse is now the proud new parents are receiving guests to view their newborns. There were 8 pigeons on my balcony this morning. I'm assuming they're the aunts, uncles and cousins. Anyway, it's time for the group to leave. I've asked around for ways to evict them. Some of the suggestions were to lay rubber snakes out, display an Owl and lastly to place moth balls in the nest and around the balcony. I don't want to kill them ... I want them to just go live somewhere else. (07/24/2007)

By Steve

Pigeons on my Balcony

I've put out all kinds of different plants on our balcony and less pigeons are coming. I'm trying the CD thing 1st thing tomorrow. but theres a piece of wood missing from the outside part of our roof and these pigeons have crawled inside and set up camp. I hear them walking and scratching all day. Someone give me an idea to get them out of there. Please...thanks

itzmizz AT gmail.com
(09/30/2007)

By meli mel

Pigeons on my Balcony

Could someone please post a picture or broader description of how to hang the Cds? I don't think hanging from the ceiling is an option (Rental). (01/09/2008)

By HR

Pigeons on my Balcony

Yes, I have pigeons too! At first my boyfriend who just moved here from Holland loved them, calling them doves, but some time has passed and they have become a big problem. I finally brought a plastic owl and it has basically done nothing! I don't know what to do, let alone how to clean it? (01/10/2008)

By Laura

Pigeons on my Balcony

I have two pigeons on my balcony. I am sick n tired of those flying rats. I've thrown about 4 nests over the balcony (no eggs involved) and they keep coming back! I just put up cd's and they flew away! Haven't been back yet! Thank gawd! (03/06/2008)

By ANDREA

Pigeons on my Balcony

The best thing to do is to make a string hold up about half way down your balcony and the string colour should be blue.
Recommended for Pigeons on a balcony.
TRY it.

99.9% (04/07/2008)

Pigeons on my Balcony

Just take a long strip of aluminum foil and tape it to the back wall or balcony rail (SHINEY SIDE OUT!) and your problem is solved. And it doesn't look as bad as hanging CDs does. It's a great idea the CDs but for the interior design conscious it's not the best idea. (04/09/2008)

By Harrison

Pigeons on my Balcony

These birds are diving me crazy! I've lived in my place for 12 years and last year this problem began. This season it's out of control. I can't get a good night's sleep, they're out there coo-ing at 5:00am and are now laying eggs on the surface of my balcony, no nest at all. I built a hanging thing with sharp nails hanging off of it and they've figured it out already. I am compassionate and was going to leave the eggs there because I felt bad, but after reading all the similar posts, the eggs are being relocated tomorrow and there will be some CD's swinging from the balcony by tomorrow evening! Thanks for the insight, I seriously hope it works! (04/20/2008)

By John S.

Five Pigeons
Getting Rid of Pigeons
Home and Garden Home Improvement Pest ControlJuly 1, 2008
Related Guide
Patio and Balcony Gardening
Patio and Balcony Gardening
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 12:59:26 PM on 10.0.2.180 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.