Freezing Bell Peppers

Freezing bell peppers is a great way to preserve their freshness and color. Don't let your bell peppers go bad before you can use them, freeze them for use later. This is a guide about freezing bell peppers.

June 10, 2006 Flag

Selecting High-Quality Bell & Sweet Peppers:

Select crisp, thick-fleshed peppers that are free from blemishes and have a bright color. Pick home grown peppers when they have fully matured.

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Cut into halves, 1/2 inch strips or rings or mince them depending on later use.

Blanching Time:

For a crisper texture, peppers that will be used in uncooked foods can be frozen without being blanched beforehand. For peppers that will be heated, water-blanch halves for 3 minutes and strips or rings 2 minutes.

Best Freezing Method(s):

Boilable Bags:

Place desired amounts into boiling bags, add desired seasoning, press out air and seal. Blanch bags of pepper halves for 3 minutes and strips or rings for 2 minutes. Cool bags in ice water, pat dry and freeze. Peppers can also be frozen in boilable bags without blanching. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Tray Packs:

Clean and prepare peppers but do not blanch them. Lay whole or half peppers in a single layer on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Dry Packs:

Blanched or unblanched peppers can be transferred directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Freeze peppers in rigid containers made from plastic or glass, or in freezer-grade plastic bags or heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Sliced or diced sweet and bell peppers lose their crispness when frozen, however they can still be used for cooking. Add them to dishes directly from the freezer without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Raw peppers (unblanched) can be packaged and frozen without leaving any headspace. Tray packs using whole or half peppers are quick and easy and allow you to stuff, slice, dice or ground peppers as you need them.

Refrigerating Bell or Sweet Peppers:

Do not wash peppers until you use them. Wrap them in paper towels for storage in the refrigerator-do not put them in perforated plastic bags. Peppers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

April 18, 2013 Flag

Where I live, bell peppers can be rather expensive. I buy them only when they are on sale. I wash them, chop them, then spread them on a cookie sheet. I let a little fan blow on them for about half an hour. This reduces the surface moisture a bit, thereby reducing the formation of ice crystals when I freeze them. I still get enough ice crystals to cause the peppers to stick together.

I found that if after doing the above, I place a coffee filter in the freezer bag and squeeze all air out before sealing, the peppers will have very little ice crystals on them, and all the little pieces will remain separate and even pourable.

Directions:

After washing/pat dry, I chop & spread out (not touching each other) on aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Stick baking sheet in freezer a couple hours (even overnight is fine), until all are frozen. Bag them up still frozen. They won't stick to each other. Loose and separate retrieval.

Try drying them. Chop them small pieces and spread on a cookie sheet. For electric ovens turn the oven on to the lowest setting. Place pan in oven and turn off the oven leaving the light bulb on. Stir the peppers every couple hours until they've dried completely. This can take several hours depending on the peppers and the size you cut them. If not drying quickly enough turn the oven back on until it reaches 175 and turn it off again.

If you have a gas oven with a pilot light inside you just need to turn on the light bulb and let the heat from the pilot do the job. Store dried peppers in glass jars and use as is in soups, stews, etc. Re-hydrate by soaking in water for recipes like omelets. I dry both sweet peppers and hot peppers from my garden and save a bundle in the winter when peppers are so expensive.

June 30, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze or can bell peppers?

By Joi from Knoxville, TN

I freeze them all the time, use in cooked recipe as they get soft.

I freeze bell peppers. Just seed them and chop them. I put mine up in quart bags and just take out the amount I need when I'm cooking.

Hugs, Paula

December 12, 2012 Flag

Can I refreeze bell pepper?

By Johanne

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If the bell pepper has been frozen and then thawed, it probably won't freeze well a second time. I have frozen soups that were made from some frozen ingredients but they are usually mushier than the original soup.

Yes and I store them for up to a year. They still taste great Because I don't use them very often I freeze the red, yellow, and orange. But the green will freeze just as well. Enjoy!

BTW- You can freeze just about anything that fits in the freezer, preserves items much longer, really!

November 12, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to prepare green bell peppers for freezing. I would like to prepare whole peppers for stuffing. Do I have to blanche first, thaw then cook or can I just freeze, stuff and cook while frozen.

By Rovindell from Ellicott City, MD

I stuff my bell peppers with minute rice, pasta sauce, diced chicken breast, and shredded cheese.

September 4, 2011 Flag

How do you freeze bell peppers?

By Maria F

If you like stuffed peppers: Cut the tops off and clean them as you would for stuffing and parboil for about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well, place upside down on a cookie sheet, flash freeze then bag them. When you get ready to make stuffed pepper just make up mixture while peppers are thawing. Fill and bake as you would for fresh. You can't tell the difference in taste and you have a lovely dish for much less cost than buying the peppers in the wintertime when they are so expensive. Yum! Yum!

I clean and cut them up in 1" size pieces. Put in plastic bags and freeze. They only freeze well if used for cooking. I use them for my recipe "Stuffed Pepper soup" I have stuffed whole peppers and froze them also.

December 20, 2011 Flag

I do not know how to dry bell peppers, but I will tell you what I do. If I purchased more than I need at the time I just cut them up (red, yellow, and green), cut up an onion, and fry them with a little olive oil.

October 1, 2011 Flag

I need to freeze some bell peppers so they don't go bad. Can I cook them after cutting them julienne style or do they need to be cooked first? I like to use them for fajitas and soups. Thanks.

By Janice E from Centerville, TN

I was and chop them and then freeze them. Mostly I use the frozen ones for cooking because they do get soft when frozen but the taste is the same.

No need to blanch any type of pepper; just cut and freeze. Be sure to pat dry and remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible to reduce freezer burn. It's the same for all types of onions too :-)

June 27, 2010 Flag

Can you freeze green peppers once you have cleaned and sliced them? If so, how long can you keep them?

Thank you.

By Jennifer from SC

I usually blanche mine first, then chop, dry off, and freeze using my foodsaver in half cup portions for use in recipes all winter. And I always parboil fresh ones before making stuffed peppers - if you don't, they will have a bitter flavor.

About a month ago, I bought a bag of sliced red peppers for $1.00 from a local restaurant food supply fruit market. I think it was about 3 pounds. I could not believe my luck. I rinsed them and put them in a bag in the freezer. I have been using them in my cooking with great results. If I ever see them again, I will buy them up!

January 7, 2012 Flag

How do I store bell peppers in the freezer? Thank you.

Load More
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesNovember 27, 2011
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Peeling Bell Peppers
Freezing Hot Peppers
Freezing Hot Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers
Storing Bell Peppers
🎉
🎄