Freezing Bell Peppers

Selecting High-Quality Bell & Sweet Peppers:

Select crisp, thick-fleshed peppers that are free from blemishes and have a bright color. Pick home grown peppers when they have fully matured.

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Cut into halves, 1/2 inch strips or rings or mince them depending on later use.

Blanching Time:

For a crisper texture, peppers that will be used in uncooked foods can be frozen without being blanched beforehand. For peppers that will be heated, water-blanch halves for 3 minutes and strips or rings 2 minutes.

Best Freezing Method(s):

Boilable Bags:

Place desired amounts into boiling bags, add desired seasoning, press out air and seal. Blanch bags of pepper halves for 3 minutes and strips or rings for 2 minutes. Cool bags in ice water, pat dry and freeze. Peppers can also be frozen in boilable bags without blanching. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Tray Packs:

Clean and prepare peppers but do not blanch them. Lay whole or half peppers in a single layer on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Dry Packs:

Blanched or unblanched peppers can be transferred directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Freeze peppers in rigid containers made from plastic or glass, or in freezer-grade plastic bags or heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Sliced or diced sweet and bell peppers lose their crispness when frozen, however they can still be used for cooking. Add them to dishes directly from the freezer without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Raw peppers (unblanched) can be packaged and frozen without leaving any headspace. Tray packs using whole or half peppers are quick and easy and allow you to stuff, slice, dice or ground peppers as you need them.

Refrigerating Bell or Sweet Peppers:

Do not wash peppers until you use them. Wrap them in paper towels for storage in the refrigerator-do not put them in perforated plastic bags. Peppers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

April 18, 2013 Flag

Where I live, bell peppers can be rather expensive. I buy them only when they are on sale. I wash them, chop them, then spread them on a cookie sheet. I let a little fan blow on them for about half an hour. This reduces the surface moisture a bit, thereby reducing the formation of ice crystals when I freeze them. I still get enough ice crystals to cause the peppers to stick together.

I found that if after doing the above, I place a coffee filter in the freezer bag and squeeze all air out before sealing, the peppers will have very little ice crystals on them, and all the little pieces will remain separate and even pourable.

Directions:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

December 20, 2011 Flag

I do not know how to dry bell peppers, but I will tell you what I do. If I purchased more than I need at the time I just cut them up (red, yellow, and green), cut up an onion, and fry them with a little olive oil. Then I put them in freezer bag and freeze them. When I make an omelet I use them I also use them when I make chopped eggs.

By Macie4 from Walnut Creek, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

January 15, 2012 Flag

I slice peppers in half, remove the seeds and then freeze peppers on a cookie sheet. After they are frozen, I place in a freezer bag. Using a straw, I suck all the air out of the bag. I've found if I do this, the peppers will not get any freezer burn and keep up to a year in the freezer.

After each time opening the bag, make sure to remove as much air as possible. I also save the seeds, let them dry then grind them and use the powder in recipes to add a little pepper taste and fiber.

By Mary from Demorest, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 30, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze or can bell peppers?

By Joi from Knoxville, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I freeze them all the time, use in cooked recipe as they get soft.

I freeze bell peppers. Just seed them and chop them. I put mine up in quart bags and just take out the amount I need when I'm cooking.

Hugs, Paula

December 12, 2012 Flag

Can I refreeze bell pepper?

By Johanne

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If the bell pepper has been frozen and then thawed, it probably won't freeze well a second time. I have frozen soups that were made from some frozen ingredients but they are usually mushier than the original soup.

Yes and I store them for up to a year. They still taste great Because I don't use them very often I freeze the red, yellow, and orange. But the green will freeze just as well. Enjoy!

BTW- You can freeze just about anything that fits in the freezer, preserves items much longer, really!

November 12, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to prepare green bell peppers for freezing. I would like to prepare whole peppers for stuffing. Do I have to blanche first, thaw then cook or can I just freeze, stuff and cook while frozen.

By Rovindell from Ellicott City, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I stuff my bell peppers with minute rice, pasta sauce, diced chicken breast, and shredded cheese.

May I have your recipe? Thanks

September 4, 2011 Flag

How do you freeze bell peppers?

By Maria F

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you like stuffed peppers: Cut the tops off and clean them as you would for stuffing and parboil for about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well, place upside down on a cookie sheet, flash freeze then bag them. When you get ready to make stuffed pepper just make up mixture while peppers are thawing. Fill and bake as you would for fresh. You can't tell the difference in taste and you have a lovely dish for much less cost than buying the peppers in the wintertime when they are so expensive. Yum! Yum!

I clean and cut them up in 1" size pieces. Put in plastic bags and freeze. They only freeze well if used for cooking. I use them for my recipe "Stuffed Pepper soup" I have stuffed whole peppers and froze them also.

August 21, 2016 Flag

I want to make vegetarian stuffed yellow peppers. I want to know if I can freeze them after I cook them? Will they taste the same? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 1, 2011 Flag

I need to freeze some bell peppers so they don't go bad. Can I cook them after cutting them julienne style or do they need to be cooked first? I like to use them for fajitas and soups. Thanks.

By Janice E from Centerville, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was and chop them and then freeze them. Mostly I use the frozen ones for cooking because they do get soft when frozen but the taste is the same.

No need to blanch any type of pepper; just cut and freeze. Be sure to pat dry and remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible to reduce freezer burn. It's the same for all types of onions too :-)

June 27, 2010 Flag

Can you freeze green peppers once you have cleaned and sliced them? If so, how long can you keep them?

Thank you.

By Jennifer from SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I usually blanche mine first, then chop, dry off, and freeze using my foodsaver in half cup portions for use in recipes all winter. And I always parboil fresh ones before making stuffed peppers - if you don't, they will have a bitter flavor.

About a month ago, I bought a bag of sliced red peppers for $1.00 from a local restaurant food supply fruit market. I think it was about 3 pounds. I could not believe my luck. I rinsed them and put them in a bag in the freezer. I have been using them in my cooking with great results. If I ever see them again, I will buy them up!

January 7, 2012 Flag

How do I store bell peppers in the freezer?
Thank you.

By S H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never froze whole bell peppers, but what I do, is prepare them like I would to use in various casseroles, salads, etc. I wash them, and then cut them, remove the seeds, then proceed to dice them, and put something like 1/2 cup of the diced pepper in baggies and pop them in the freezer, then when I need some to put in a casserole, I pull oneor two baggies out of the freezer.

Bell Peppers are an exotic rarity; a vegetable that can be frozen successfully without blanching. Just cut them up and put them in a plastic bag and in the freezer.

August 25, 2012 Flag

How do I freeze red and green bell sweet peppers?

By Don P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mother cuts them in half, cores them, puts them in a ziplock bag and tosses them in the freezer. As simple as that. We grow our own peppers and have them all year long with the freezing process. When you thaw them out they can be a bit soft but the still have their flavor.

You can also make stuffed peppers and freeze them pretty much the same way. Just cook you "stuffing", and after cutting and coring the pepper, stuff the fresh pepper and put the different halves in a box or some other container to keep them up right while they freeze. When you want stuffed peppers for dinner, bring them out, let them thaw and bake them.

I just throw them in a freezer bag. Cutting is super easy when they are frozen :-)

July 15, 2012 Flag

How do I freeze green peppers?

By Dean

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do this all summer long, for a year long supply for pizza, chili and other dishes.

First, I wash my peppers. Then I dice them up into the size I like for my recipes. (the seeds and pulp go into the compost bin).

Next, I blanch them - which means I place them inside a strainer and dip it into boiling water for about 1 minute. This stops the ripening process, but isn't long enough to cook the pieces. After 1 minute, remove from the boiling water and plunge it into ice water. When cool, remove from the water and drain.

Drain well, and pat dry. I then place on a cookie sheet and freeze for about 2 hours. Then I take them off of the cookie sheet and put them into a ziplock freezer bag and place back into the freezer. By doing it this way, they don't all stick together in a large clump.

I just remove from the bag however much I need when cooking.

We just slice them and throw them in a freezer bag. When you need some just pull out what you want. You can run them under some warm water briefly to make dicing easier or throw them directly in your pan if slices are what you need.

July 26, 2011 Flag

How should I freeze green peppers to stuff later?

By Linda from Carlisle, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I freeze my peppers already stuffed. I prepare the stuffed peppers the way I usually do, but I don't cook them. Then I put them on a foam plate and cover them with plastic wrap or a freezer bag, and put them in the freezer. When I'm ready to eat them I let them thaw in the refrigerator and then cook them as usual. If you just want to freeze the peppers, just clean all the seeds out and put them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer raw.

Hi Linda

I just clean out the seeds and rinse them and let the peppers drain turned up side down on a towel. Then put in zip lock freezer bags. I freeze some chopped and some in slices that way I have some to use during the winter, no paying sky high prices for me to cook with.

September 27, 2012 Flag

I have just bought some farm fresh green peppers and want to cut and freeze them. Can I? And how do I do that?

By Mary A.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

All I do is simply wash the peppers, remove the seeds and membranes and slice or chop the peppers to the desired size. Spread out on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid. Then I put the frozen peppers in a ZipLock bag and store in the freezer. You don't even have to defrost the peppers, just toss into what ever you're making. I have heard of freezing pepper halves to use for stuffed peppers, but I've never tried that. The peppers will be mushy when defrosted, so using them as a fresh pepper probably wouldn't be very good, but cooked is just fine.

May 23, 2012 Flag

Do frozen peppers always go soft after thawing no matter how you froze them?

By E. Davis

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, they probably will.

March 18, 2012 Flag

Can mini sweet peppers be frozen? I bought a 2 1/2 lb bag and am unsure how long they will keep in the refrigerator. Can I freeze a portion and use later?

By Joan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Absolutely! I would recommend cutting them up first, then freezing. The texture will be a little different after freezing, but you won't be able to tell if you cook them. They won't be much good for eating raw after being frozen, though.

July 31, 2010 Flag

What is a good simple way to stuff banana peppers and freeze them?

By Nadine

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do you mean you need a recipe for them? If so, I can send you a couple. If you already have your own recipe just stuff them and place in airtight freezer bags without cooking them first.

June 27, 2010 Flag

Should I (or can I) blanch green peppers before freezing them?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesNovember 27, 2011
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Peeling Bell Peppers
Freezing Hot Peppers
Freezing Hot Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers
Storing Bell Peppers
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 23, 2017 at 9:30:04 AM on 10.0.0.71 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.