Freezing Bell Peppers

Freezing bell peppers is a great way to preserve their freshness and color. Don't let your bell peppers go bad before you can use them, freeze them for use later. This is a guide about freezing bell peppers.

Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 18, 2013 Flag

Where I live, bell peppers can be rather expensive. I buy them only when they are on sale. I wash them, chop them, then spread them on a cookie sheet. I let a little fan blow on them for about half an hour. This reduces the surface moisture a bit, thereby reducing the formation of ice crystals when I freeze them. I still get enough ice crystals to cause the peppers to stick together.

Free Flowing Frozen Peppers

I found that if after doing the above, I place a coffee filter in the freezer bag and squeeze all air out before sealing, the peppers will have very little ice crystals on them, and all the little pieces will remain separate and even pourable.

Directions:

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 30, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze or can bell peppers?

By Joi from Knoxville, TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I freeze bell peppers. Just seed them and chop them. I put mine up in quart bags and just take out the amount I need when I'm cooking.

Hugs, Paula

I wash and remove the seeds. Dry the peppers with paper towel. I chop my excess bell peppers into small pieces and place in freezer bag, being sure I lay them flat in the freezer until frozen. I can then remove what I need for meatloaf or anything else I can add them to while cooking.

Read More Answers...

December 12, 2012 Flag

Can I refreeze bell pepper?

By Johanne

Best Answer

If the bell pepper has been frozen and then thawed, it probably won't freeze well a second time. I have frozen soups that were made from some frozen ingredients but they are usually mushier than the original soup.

Yes and I store them for up to a year. They still taste great Because I don't use them very often I freeze the red, yellow, and orange. But the green will freeze just as well. Enjoy!

BTW- You can freeze just about anything that fits in the freezer, preserves items much longer, really!

September 4, 2011 Flag

How do you freeze bell peppers?

By Maria F

I clean and cut them up in 1" size pieces. Put in plastic bags and freeze. They only freeze well if used for cooking. I use them for my recipe "Stuffed Pepper soup" I have stuffed whole peppers and froze them also.

I wash them, chop them after removing the seeds and spread them out on a cutting board. I put them in the freezer then when they are frozen I put them in a zip lock bag. I have been doing this for years and also with celery.

Read More Answers...

November 12, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to prepare green bell peppers for freezing. I would like to prepare whole peppers for stuffing. Do I have to blanche first, thaw then cook or can I just freeze, stuff and cook while frozen.

By Rovindell from Ellicott City, MD

I pre-stuff my bell peppers with the mixture below and when ready to use, take out and place in 2-3 inches of water with a lid and steam all til done. My stuffing is ground beef, minute rice, stewed tomatoes, and diced onions mixed together and spooned into each pepper. Put caps back on the peppers, but remove the stem and store in freezer bags.

I wash, core and chop my bell peppers then put them in a freezer bag. I can take out what I need that way. Celery can also be frozen. For bananas I peel and slice in rounds and freeze on a flat surface then put in bags. I think you can freeze the whole banana too if you are going to use them for bread.

Read More Answers...

October 1, 2011 Flag

I need to freeze some bell peppers so they don't go bad. Can I cook them after cutting them julienne style or do they need to be cooked first? I like to use them for fajitas and soups. Thanks.

By Janice E from Centerville, TN

No need to blanch any type of pepper; just cut and freeze. Be sure to pat dry and remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible to reduce freezer burn. It's the same for all types of onions too :-)

When freezing bell peppers, I usually clean, cut in strips, put in freezer bags and always chop while frozen. They are good for cooking only, as get too soft for anything else.

Read More Answers...

January 7, 2012 Flag

How do I store bell peppers in the freezer?
Thank you.

By S H

Bell Peppers are an exotic rarity; a vegetable that can be frozen successfully without blanching. Just cut them up and put them in a plastic bag and in the freezer.

I freeze the raw peppers as others have suggested, with the exception that I lay them out on a cookie sheet, freeze them solid (at least a couple of hours or overnight) and then bag in freezer weight bags. They can be removed from the bag in any amount needed without disturbing the rest of the peppers.

I like stuffed peppers, so I freeze for this also. Cut the top from the peppers and remove the seeds and veins. Then blanch them in boiling water for approximately 2 minutes, chill in ice water, drain well and again place on a cookie sheet, open side down, freeze and then bag. When ready to use just proceed with your stuffing recipe as usual.

Read More Answers...

August 25, 2012 Flag

How do I freeze red and green bell sweet peppers?

By Don P.

My mother cuts them in half, cores them, puts them in a ziplock bag and tosses them in the freezer. As simple as that. We grow our own peppers and have them all year long with the freezing process. When you thaw them out they can be a bit soft but the still have their flavor.

You can also make stuffed peppers and freeze them pretty much the same way. Just cook you "stuffing", and after cutting and coring the pepper, stuff the fresh pepper and put the different halves in a box or some other container to keep them up right while they freeze. When you want stuffed peppers for dinner, bring them out, let them thaw and bake them.

I just throw them in a freezer bag. Cutting is super easy when they are frozen :-)

July 15, 2012 Flag

How do I freeze green peppers?

By Dean

I do this all summer long, for a year long supply for pizza, chili and other dishes.

First, I wash my peppers. Then I dice them up into the size I like for my recipes. (the seeds and pulp go into the compost bin).

Next, I blanch them - which means I place them inside a strainer and dip it into boiling water for about 1 minute. This stops the ripening process, but isn't long enough to cook the pieces. After 1 minute, remove from the boiling water and plunge it into ice water. When cool, remove from the water and drain.

Drain well, and pat dry. I then place on a cookie sheet and freeze for about 2 hours. Then I take them off of the cookie sheet and put them into a ziplock freezer bag and place back into the freezer. By doing it this way, they don't all stick together in a large clump.

I just remove from the bag however much I need when cooking.

We just slice them and throw them in a freezer bag. When you need some just pull out what you want. You can run them under some warm water briefly to make dicing easier or throw them directly in your pan if slices are what you need.

September 27, 2012 Flag

I have just bought some farm fresh green peppers and want to cut and freeze them. Can I? And how do I do that?

By Mary A.

All I do is simply wash the peppers, remove the seeds and membranes and slice or chop the peppers to the desired size. Spread out on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid. Then I put the frozen peppers in a ZipLock bag and store in the freezer. You don't even have to defrost the peppers, just toss into what ever you're making. I have heard of freezing pepper halves to use for stuffed peppers, but I've never tried that. The peppers will be mushy when defrosted, so using them as a fresh pepper probably wouldn't be very good, but cooked is just fine.

May 23, 2012 Flag

Do frozen peppers always go soft after thawing no matter how you froze them?

By E. Davis

Yes, they probably will.

March 18, 2012 Flag

Can mini sweet peppers be frozen? I bought a 2 1/2 lb bag and am unsure how long they will keep in the refrigerator. Can I freeze a portion and use later?

By Joan

Absolutely! I would recommend cutting them up first, then freezing. The texture will be a little different after freezing, but you won't be able to tell if you cook them. They won't be much good for eating raw after being frozen, though.

December 20, 2011 Flag

I do not know how to dry bell peppers, but I will tell you what I do. If I purchased more than I need at the time I just cut them up (red, yellow, and green), cut up an onion, and fry them with a little olive oil. Then I put them in freezer bag and freeze them. When I make an omelet I use them I also use them when I make chopped eggs.

By Macie4 from Walnut Creek, CA

July 31, 2010 Flag

What is a good simple way to stuff banana peppers and freeze them?

By Nadine

Do you mean you need a recipe for them? If so, I can send you a couple. If you already have your own recipe just stuff them and place in airtight freezer bags without cooking them first.

January 15, 2012 Flag

I slice peppers in half, remove the seeds and then freeze peppers on a cookie sheet. After they are frozen, I place in a freezer bag. Using a straw, I suck all the air out of the bag. I've found if I do this, the peppers will not get any freezer burn and keep up to a year in the freezer.

After each time opening the bag, make sure to remove as much air as possible. I also save the seeds, let them dry then grind them and use the powder in recipes to add a little pepper taste and fiber.

By Mary from Demorest, GA

Load More
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesNovember 27, 2011
Peeling Bell Peppers
Freezing Hot Peppers
Freezing Hot Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers
Storing Bell Peppers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 21, 2016 at 12:05:04 PM on 10.0.2.232 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.