Freezing Bell Peppers

Selecting High-Quality Bell & Sweet Peppers:

Select crisp, thick-fleshed peppers that are free from blemishes and have a bright color. Pick home grown peppers when they have fully matured.

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Cut into halves, 1/2 inch strips or rings or mince them depending on later use.

Blanching Time:

For a crisper texture, peppers that will be used in uncooked foods can be frozen without being blanched beforehand. For peppers that will be heated, water-blanch halves for 3 minutes and strips or rings 2 minutes.

Best Freezing Method(s):

Boilable Bags:

Place desired amounts into boiling bags, add desired seasoning, press out air and seal. Blanch bags of pepper halves for 3 minutes and strips or rings for 2 minutes. Cool bags in ice water, pat dry and freeze. Peppers can also be frozen in boilable bags without blanching. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Tray Packs:

Clean and prepare peppers but do not blanch them. Lay whole or half peppers in a single layer on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Dry Packs:

Blanched or unblanched peppers can be transferred directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Freeze peppers in rigid containers made from plastic or glass, or in freezer-grade plastic bags or heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Sliced or diced sweet and bell peppers lose their crispness when frozen, however they can still be used for cooking. Add them to dishes directly from the freezer without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Raw peppers (unblanched) can be packaged and frozen without leaving any headspace. Tray packs using whole or half peppers are quick and easy and allow you to stuff, slice, dice or ground peppers as you need them.

Refrigerating Bell or Sweet Peppers:

Do not wash peppers until you use them. Wrap them in paper towels for storage in the refrigerator-do not put them in perforated plastic bags. Peppers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Read More or Comment...

Where I live, bell peppers can be rather expensive. I buy them only when they are on sale. I wash them, chop them, then spread them on a cookie sheet. I let a little fan blow on them for about half an hour. This reduces the surface moisture a bit, thereby reducing the formation of ice crystals when I freeze them. I still get enough ice crystals to cause the peppers to stick together.

I found that if after doing the above, I place a coffee filter in the freezer bag and squeeze all air out before sealing, the peppers will have very little ice crystals on them, and all the little pieces will remain separate and even pourable.

Directions:

Try drying them. Chop them small pieces and spread on a cookie sheet. For electric ovens turn the oven on to the lowest setting. Place pan in oven and turn off the oven leaving the light bulb on. Stir the peppers every couple hours until they've dried completely. This can take several hours depending on the peppers and the size you cut them. If not drying quickly enough turn the oven back on until it reaches 175 and turn it off again.

If you have a gas oven with a pilot light inside you just need to turn on the light bulb and let the heat from the pilot do the job. Store dried peppers in glass jars and use as is in soups, stews, etc. Re-hydrate by soaking in water for recipes like omelets. I dry both sweet peppers and hot peppers from my garden and save a bundle in the winter when peppers are so expensive.

I do not know how to dry bell peppers, but I will tell you what I do. If I purchased more than I need at the time I just cut them up (red, yellow, and green), cut up an onion, and fry them with a little olive oil. Then I put them in freezer bag and freeze them. When I make an omelet I use them I also use them when I make chopped eggs.

By Macie4 from Walnut Creek, CA

I like to make stuffed peppers and then freeze them in a plastic container in the freezer. When I want to eat them I remove them from the frozen container and put them in a microwave dish but don't thaw them out. Microwave them for a great meal!

For peppers I won't use right away I just wash them, remove the seeds - chop them up and put them in a zip lock bag and pop them in the freezer. That's all - no blanching, etc. They go right from the freezer into the food I'm cooking - perfect.

I slice peppers in half, remove the seeds and then freeze peppers on a cookie sheet. After they are frozen, I place in a freezer bag. Using a straw, I suck all the air out of the bag. I've found if I do this, the peppers will not get any freezer burn and keep up to a year in the freezer.

After each time opening the bag, make sure to remove as much air as possible. I also save the seeds, let them dry then grind them and use the powder in recipes to add a little pepper taste and fiber.

By Mary from Demorest, GA

Does anyone know if it is OK to freeze sweet bell peppers with the seeds? Some one told me that I could become very 'sick', is this true?

No, it won't hurt you. But freezing them whole doesn't work so well-they get mushy when thawed. I dice mine and freeze. I use it in soups, pizza, chili. Once in awhile I blanch them first, but not always.

I don't think you would want the seed anyway, right? I'd cut them in half and remove the seeds and freeze. It's best to chop into bits, though.

Can you freeze or can bell peppers?

By Joi from Knoxville, TN

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I freeze them all the time, use in cooked recipe as they get soft.

I freeze bell peppers. Just seed them and chop them. I put mine up in quart bags and just take out the amount I need when I'm cooking.

Hugs, Paula

I would like to know how to prepare green bell peppers for freezing. I would like to prepare whole peppers for stuffing. Do I have to blanche first, thaw then cook or can I just freeze, stuff and cook while frozen.

By Rovindell from Ellicott City, MD

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I stuff my bell peppers with minute rice, pasta sauce, diced chicken breast, and shredded cheese.

May I have your recipe? Thanks

I want to make vegetarian stuffed yellow peppers. I want to know if I can freeze them after I cook them? Will they taste the same? Thank you.

they will taste the same, though sometimes freezing is not a great thing to do with veggies due to the water content that crystalizes in the freezer and that deforms or makes the fruit mushy. STill, it may be not as good but still edible.

They will freeze fine. I have done this. Pack them tightly so they don't get freezer burn.

Can I refreeze bell pepper?

By Johanne

Best Answer

If the bell pepper has been frozen and then thawed, it probably won't freeze well a second time. I have frozen soups that were made from some frozen ingredients but they are usually mushier than the original soup.

Yes and I store them for up to a year. They still taste great Because I don't use them very often I freeze the red, yellow, and orange. But the green will freeze just as well. Enjoy!

BTW- You can freeze just about anything that fits in the freezer, preserves items much longer, really!

How do you freeze bell peppers?

By Maria F

If you like stuffed peppers: Cut the tops off and clean them as you would for stuffing and parboil for about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well, place upside down on a cookie sheet, flash freeze then bag them. When you get ready to make stuffed pepper just make up mixture while peppers are thawing. Fill and bake as you would for fresh. You can't tell the difference in taste and you have a lovely dish for much less cost than buying the peppers in the wintertime when they are so expensive. Yum! Yum!

I clean and cut them up in 1" size pieces. Put in plastic bags and freeze. They only freeze well if used for cooking. I use them for my recipe "Stuffed Pepper soup" I have stuffed whole peppers and froze them also.

I need to freeze some bell peppers so they don't go bad. Can I cook them after cutting them julienne style or do they need to be cooked first? I like to use them for fajitas and soups. Thanks.

By Janice E from Centerville, TN

I was and chop them and then freeze them. Mostly I use the frozen ones for cooking because they do get soft when frozen but the taste is the same.

Anonymous

No need to blanch any type of pepper; just cut and freeze. Be sure to pat dry and remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible to reduce freezer burn. It's the same for all types of onions too :-)

Can you freeze green peppers once you have cleaned and sliced them? If so, how long can you keep them?

Thank you.

By Jennifer from SC

I usually blanche mine first, then chop, dry off, and freeze using my foodsaver in half cup portions for use in recipes all winter. And I always parboil fresh ones before making stuffed peppers - if you don't, they will have a bitter flavor.

About a month ago, I bought a bag of sliced red peppers for $1.00 from a local restaurant food supply fruit market. I think it was about 3 pounds. I could not believe my luck. I rinsed them and put them in a bag in the freezer. I have been using them in my cooking with great results. If I ever see them again, I will buy them up!

How do I store bell peppers in the freezer?
Thank you.

By S H

I have never froze whole bell peppers, but what I do, is prepare them like I would to use in various casseroles, salads, etc. I wash them, and then cut them, remove the seeds, then proceed to dice them, and put something like 1/2 cup of the diced pepper in baggies and pop them in the freezer, then when I need some to put in a casserole, I pull oneor two baggies out of the freezer.

Bell Peppers are an exotic rarity; a vegetable that can be frozen successfully without blanching. Just cut them up and put them in a plastic bag and in the freezer.

How do I freeze red and green bell sweet peppers?

By Don P.

My mother cuts them in half, cores them, puts them in a ziplock bag and tosses them in the freezer. As simple as that. We grow our own peppers and have them all year long with the freezing process. When you thaw them out they can be a bit soft but the still have their flavor.

You can also make stuffed peppers and freeze them pretty much the same way. Just cook you "stuffing", and after cutting and coring the pepper, stuff the fresh pepper and put the different halves in a box or some other container to keep them up right while they freeze. When you want stuffed peppers for dinner, bring them out, let them thaw and bake them.

I just throw them in a freezer bag. Cutting is super easy when they are frozen :-)

How do I freeze green peppers?

By Dean

I do this all summer long, for a year long supply for pizza, chili and other dishes.

First, I wash my peppers. Then I dice them up into the size I like for my recipes. (the seeds and pulp go into the compost bin).

Next, I blanch them - which means I place them inside a strainer and dip it into boiling water for about 1 minute. This stops the ripening process, but isn't long enough to cook the pieces. After 1 minute, remove from the boiling water and plunge it into ice water. When cool, remove from the water and drain.

Drain well, and pat dry. I then place on a cookie sheet and freeze for about 2 hours. Then I take them off of the cookie sheet and put them into a ziplock freezer bag and place back into the freezer. By doing it this way, they don't all stick together in a large clump.

I just remove from the bag however much I need when cooking.

We just slice them and throw them in a freezer bag. When you need some just pull out what you want. You can run them under some warm water briefly to make dicing easier or throw them directly in your pan if slices are what you need.

How should I freeze green peppers to stuff later?

By Linda from Carlisle, PA

I freeze my peppers already stuffed. I prepare the stuffed peppers the way I usually do, but I don't cook them. Then I put them on a foam plate and cover them with plastic wrap or a freezer bag, and put them in the freezer. When I'm ready to eat them I let them thaw in the refrigerator and then cook them as usual. If you just want to freeze the peppers, just clean all the seeds out and put them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer raw.

Hi Linda

I just clean out the seeds and rinse them and let the peppers drain turned up side down on a towel. Then put in zip lock freezer bags. I freeze some chopped and some in slices that way I have some to use during the winter, no paying sky high prices for me to cook with.

I have just bought some farm fresh green peppers and want to cut and freeze them. Can I? And how do I do that?

By Mary A.

All I do is simply wash the peppers, remove the seeds and membranes and slice or chop the peppers to the desired size. Spread out on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid. Then I put the frozen peppers in a ZipLock bag and store in the freezer. You don't even have to defrost the peppers, just toss into what ever you're making. I have heard of freezing pepper halves to use for stuffed peppers, but I've never tried that. The peppers will be mushy when defrosted, so using them as a fresh pepper probably wouldn't be very good, but cooked is just fine.

Do frozen peppers always go soft after thawing no matter how you froze them?

By E. Davis

Yes, they probably will.

Can mini sweet peppers be frozen? I bought a 2 1/2 lb bag and am unsure how long they will keep in the refrigerator. Can I freeze a portion and use later?

By Joan

Absolutely! I would recommend cutting them up first, then freezing. The texture will be a little different after freezing, but you won't be able to tell if you cook them. They won't be much good for eating raw after being frozen, though.

What is a good simple way to stuff banana peppers and freeze them?

By Nadine

Anonymous

Do you mean you need a recipe for them? If so, I can send you a couple. If you already have your own recipe just stuff them and place in airtight freezer bags without cooking them first.

Should I (or can I) blanch green peppers before freezing them?

By willow23 from Wakefield, MA

Answers:

Freezing Green Peppers

I'm going to assume you're talking about bell peppers. For years all I have done is take all the seeds out and the stem, cut them into slices then put them in a freezer bag and pop them in the freezer.

I like to put bell pepper and onion in my tomatoes when I put tomatoes up in the freezer. So last week while my tomatoes were blanching, I chopped the bell pepper up and what I didn't use in the tomatoes, I put in the freezer.
I hear you can freeze onion, too. (07/01/2009)

By SusanLee

Freezing Green Peppers

You can blanch them. Probably about 3-5 minutes. If you are going to use them as halves for stuffing, I'd blanch for appearance and texture. If chopped, maybe not bother. (07/01/2009)

By PIKKA

Freezing Green Peppers

I freeze my own seasoning mix for soups and stews by chopping onion, pepper, and celery and mixing it all together on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and freeze for about an hour or so. When it's frozen just lift up the wax paper off the cookie sheet and slide the veggies into my freezer containers for future use. It's a great time saver for me. (07/01/2009)

By binkylou

Freezing Green Peppers

You do not have to blanch green peppers, onions, or celery. I've frozen them for years. If you chop the peppers, celery, and onions they are ready to use when you want them. They do not have to be defrosted when put in something being cooked. I cut some peppers in half for stuffed peppers. (07/01/2009)

By dajavooi

Freezing Green Peppers

I've made stuffed raw bell peppers mixing the rice, ground beef, onions, and garden tomatoes and placed the mixture inside the raw bell peppers and put in one gallon freezer bags. They kept well in the freezer until ready to use. Just put what you need in a covered pan with a little water in the bottom to help steam them done and the taste was the same as when made fresh.

Also, I've cut up raw bell peppers from the garden that didn't grow very large to use as additional pizza topping and just took what I needed from the freezer bag and resealed and put back into the freezer til the next time. It's a good way to salvage smaller peppers besides adding to a salad.

(07/01/2009)

By Lorelei

When I buy red or green peppers, I only use a little bit. Can I chop them up and freeze them for later? I do this with onions, but I'm not sure how peppers would turn out.

Jessi from WI

Answers:

Freezing Green Peppers

I freeze green peppers all the time, too. They are good to use in cooked dishes, but not to thaw and try to use fresh again. I simply chop them up how I like and put in a zipper type bag and remove all the air I can. If you have time it is handy to spread them on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer until frozen, then place in a zipper bag. It is so handy to have chopped onions and peppers in the freezer for a quick meal ingredient.

Cheryl
(02/02/2006)

By hvnlyhills