Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Freezing Bell Peppers

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers

Freezing bell peppers is a great way to preserve their freshness and color. Don't let your bell peppers go bad before you can use them, freeze them for use later. This is a guide about freezing bell peppers.

Solutions: Freezing Bell Peppers

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Coffee Filter for Freezing Chopped Bell Peppers

Free Flowing Frozen Peppers

Where I live, bell peppers can be rather expensive. I buy them only when they are on sale. I wash them, chop them, then spread them on a cookie sheet. I let a little fan blow on them for about half an hour. This reduces the surface moisture a bit, thereby reducing the formation of ice crystals when I freeze them. I still get enough ice crystals to cause the peppers to stick together.

I found that if after doing the above, I place a coffee filter in the freezer bag and squeeze all air out before sealing, the peppers will have very little ice crystals on them, and all the little pieces will remain separate and even pourable.

By

Tip: Freeze Bell Peppers Halves

I slice peppers in half, remove the seeds and then freeze peppers on a cookie sheet. After they are frozen, I place in a freezer bag. Using a straw, I suck all the air out of the bag. I've found if I do this, the peppers will not get any freezer burn and keep up to a year in the freezer.

After each time opening the bag, make sure to remove as much air as possible. I also save the seeds, let them dry then grind them and use the powder in recipes to add a little pepper taste and fiber.

By Mary from Demorest, GA

Tip: Freezing Bell Peppers

I do not know how to dry bell peppers, but I will tell you what I do. If I purchased more than I need at the time I just cut them up (red, yellow, and green), cut up an onion, and fry them with a little olive oil. Then I put them in freezer bag and freeze them. When I make an omelet I use them I also use them when I make chopped eggs.

By Macie4 from Walnut Creek, CA

Article: Freezing Bell or Sweet Peppers

Red, Yellow and Green Bell Peppers

Selecting High-Quality Bell & Sweet Peppers:

Select crisp, thick-fleshed peppers that are free from blemishes and have a bright color. Pick home grown peppers when they have fully matured.

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Cut into halves, 1/2 inch strips or rings or mince them depending on later use.

Blanching Time:

For a crisper texture, peppers that will be used in uncooked foods can be frozen without being blanched beforehand. For peppers that will be heated, water-blanch halves for 3 minutes and strips or rings 2 minutes.

Best Freezing Method(s):

Boilable Bags:

Place desired amounts into boiling bags, add desired seasoning, press out air and seal. Blanch bags of pepper halves for 3 minutes and strips or rings for 2 minutes. Cool bags in ice water, pat dry and freeze. Peppers can also be frozen in boilable bags without blanching. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Tray Packs:

Clean and prepare peppers but do not blanch them. Lay whole or half peppers in a single layer on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Dry Packs:

Blanched or unblanched peppers can be transferred directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Freeze peppers in rigid containers made from plastic or glass, or in freezer-grade plastic bags or heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Sliced or diced sweet and bell peppers lose their crispness when frozen, however they can still be used for cooking. Add them to dishes directly from the freezer without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Raw peppers (unblanched) can be packaged and frozen without leaving any headspace. Tray packs using whole or half peppers are quick and easy and allow you to stuff, slice, dice or ground peppers as you need them.

Refrigerating Bell or Sweet Peppers:

Do not wash peppers until you use them. Wrap them in paper towels for storage in the refrigerator-do not put them in perforated plastic bags. Peppers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

By Ellen Brown

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Freezing Bell Peppers.

Question: Freezing or Canning Bell Peppers

Can you freeze or can bell peppers?

By Joi from Knoxville, TN

Most Recent Answer

By marie [1]07/07/2011

I wash and remove the seeds. Dry the peppers with paper towel. I chop my excess bell peppers into small pieces and place in freezer bag, being sure I lay them flat in the freezer until frozen. I can then remove what I need for meatloaf or anything else I can add them to while cooking.

Question: Freezing Bell Peppers

I would like to know how to prepare green bell peppers for freezing. I would like to prepare whole peppers for stuffing. Do I have to blanche first, thaw then cook or can I just freeze, stuff and cook while frozen.

By Rovindell from Ellicott City, MD

Most Recent Answer

By Lilac [18]11/13/2010

I wash, core and chop my bell peppers then put them in a freezer bag. I can take out what I need that way. Celery can also be frozen. For bananas I peel and slice in rounds and freeze on a flat surface then put in bags. I think you can freeze the whole banana too if you are going to use them for bread.

Question: Refreezing Bell Peppers

Can I refreeze bell pepper?

By Johanne

Most Recent Answer

By Diana Sue M. [5]12/17/2012

Yes and I store them for up to a year. They still taste great Because I don't use them very often I freeze the red, yellow, and orange. But the green will freeze just as well. Enjoy!
BTW- You can freeze just about anything that fits in the freezer, preserves items much longer, really!

Question: Freezing Peppers

I have just bought some farm fresh green peppers and want to cut and freeze them. Can I? And how do I do that?

By Mary A.

Most Recent Answer

By LeeAnne67 [3]10/01/2012

All I do is simply wash the peppers, remove the seeds and membranes and slice or chop the peppers to the desired size. Spread out on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid. Then I put the frozen peppers in a ZipLock bag and store in the freezer. You don't even have to defrost the peppers, just toss into what ever you're making. I have heard of freezing pepper halves to use for stuffed peppers, but I've never tried that. The peppers will be mushy when defrosted, so using them as a fresh pepper probably wouldn't be very good, but cooked is just fine.

Question: Freezing Bell Peppers

How do I freeze red and green bell sweet peppers?

By Don P.

Most Recent Answer

By liz Mickey [2]08/27/2012

I just throw them in a freezer bag. Cutting is super easy when they are frozen :-)

Question: Freezing Green Peppers

How do I freeze green peppers?

By Dean

Most Recent Answer

By joycemarie07/17/2012

We just slice them and throw them in a freezer bag. When you need some just pull out what you want. You can run them under some warm water briefly to make dicing easier or throw them directly in your pan if slices are what you need.

Question: Freezing Peppers

Do frozen peppers always go soft after thawing no matter how you froze them?

By E. Davis

Most Recent Answer

By hiphophood [1]05/23/2012

Yes, they probably will.

Question: Freezing Peppers

Can mini sweet peppers be frozen? I bought a 2 1/2 lb bag and am unsure how long they will keep in the refrigerator. Can I freeze a portion and use later?

By Joan

Most Recent Answer

By TheFrugalTownie [1]03/20/2012

Absolutely! I would recommend cutting them up first, then freezing. The texture will be a little different after freezing, but you won't be able to tell if you cook them. They won't be much good for eating raw after being frozen, though.

Question: Freezing Sweet Bell Peppers

How do I store bell peppers in the freezer?
Thank you.

By S H

Most Recent Answer

By Jonnie Shambarger [2]01/09/2012

I freeze the raw peppers as others have suggested, with the exception that I lay them out on a cookie sheet, freeze them solid (at least a couple of hours or overnight) and then bag in freezer weight bags. They can be removed from the bag in any amount needed without disturbing the rest of the peppers.

I like stuffed peppers, so I freeze for this also. Cut the top from the peppers and remove the seeds and veins. Then blanch them in boiling water for approximately 2 minutes, chill in ice water, drain well and again place on a cookie sheet, open side down, freeze and then bag. When ready to use just proceed with your stuffing recipe as usual.

Question: Freezing Bell Peppers

I need to freeze some bell peppers so they don't go bad. Can I cook them after cutting them julienne style or do they need to be cooked first? I like to use them for fajitas and soups. Thanks.

By Janice E from Centerville, TN

Most Recent Answer

By Judy10/18/2011

When freezing bell peppers, I usually clean, cut in strips, put in freezer bags and always chop while frozen. They are good for cooking only, as get too soft for anything else.

Question: Freezing Bell Peppers

How do you freeze bell peppers?

By Maria F

Most Recent Answer

By Lilac [18]09/10/2011

I wash them, chop them after removing the seeds and spread them out on a cutting board. I put them in the freezer then when they are frozen I put them in a zip lock bag. I have been doing this for years and also with celery.

Question: Freezing Stuffed Banana Peppers

What is a good simple way to stuff banana peppers and freeze them?

By Nadine

Most Recent Answer

08/03/2010

Do you mean you need a recipe for them? If so, I can send you a couple. If you already have your own recipe just stuff them and place in airtight freezer bags without cooking them first.