How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Is my dog a full Pit Bull or a Pit Bull mix?

Janessa

He looks just like my chopper only in this pic chopper was only 1 month old. Chopper is a American Pitbull/ Boxer Mix. Looks like that is what your dog is. Don't listen to what everyone says about them they are a great breed and very loyal to the owners.

Pit bulls are great dogs, any dog can be mean, but people often raise put bulls in such a manner that they are given a bad rep. One reason people breed pit bulls for fighting isn't because they are ferocious killers, or fighters, but because of how loyal they are and because they are less likely to attack thier owners despite all the abuse they endure (it's sad, but true). German Shepard's, chows and dalmatians are actually some of the most unpredictable, dogs as far as temperament goes. Boxers are supposed to be the best dogs to have around kids, when my mother did daycare they told her all dogs had to be locked away from the kids, unless the dog was a boxer or golden. Pit bulls, American bull dogs, and boxers are great dogs and great pets, very loyal, mellow but also playful I have a boxer, and an American bulldog/Staffordshire terrier mix, the first day we brought the bulldog/Staffordshire terrier mix home, the two dogs didn't get along at all, so we did a 1 week shutdown, alternating them in and out of the cage to get use to one another, in a safe manner and after just a few days they are now you can't pull them apart, they couldn't get along better. I guess my point is that the way you raise, treat or train your dog is what really matters, and you can't really judge a whole breed based on a few wild cases. Both of our dogs were rescues in this case you need to give the dogs time to get Comfortable, and if you have another dog they need time to become acquainted. This issue with rescues is you don't know how the dog was raised or treated before hand. For instance our bulldog/terrier mix is weird around older men, and puts it's head down anytime you raise your hand, which leads me to believe he was possibly abused before, he's also very protective of my nephew and follows him everywhere, after getting him my girlfriend and I fell in love with this dog, he is so laid back, yet loves to play, and is great around our nephew. Don't believe the one sided stories projected by the media, as this is completely subjective to how the dog was raised not the breed. Pitbulls are the most abused dog, followed by greyhounds, for this reason some have developed a violent nature, but in no way are they naturally violent dogs, actually quite the opposite.

We just rescued Maeby and they look very similar. Trying to find out her breed as well. Going to the vet today but looks like a pit/boxer mix to me.

looks like a cane corso mastiff or preso canario mastiff

Seems to me like you have an American Staffordshire terrier. Great dogs my neighbour and I have them and they are the complete opposite of what the media describes pitbulls as. They are always trying to give you attention and always acting like clowns. Hope it helped.

I am wondering the same thing about my puppy.

This dog absolutely looks like a Pit mix. Usually they have almond -shaped eyes and very large muscles inside their cheeks, unmistakable. A good vet can give you a very educated guess, and there are also dna tests that you can swab their cheek with & sent to a laboratory. Unless this pup shows unusual signs of aggression -and remember, occasionally there are disturbed dogs just like there are disturbed people- you have nothing to fear from a Pit Bull that is raised kindly & w love. It is very important for any dog owner to become familiar with dog psychology -their language is different than ours & often our body language sends a completely different message to the dog. For instance, it's important to learn to be the pack leader. One step would be to put the pups food down, let him eat for a min, & then stir your hand in his food or take it away for 30 seconds, this is one way to show your dominance & it is crucial to maintain that position at all times. This doesn't mean harsh or cruel, it simply teaches him his place in the pack, and that leads to a healthier, happier dog and family. I've been a dog trainer for most of my life. Try looking up Ceasar Milan, you will find invaluable information through him. Your pup is a beautiful baby and I wish you years of happiness!!!

I also wanna know if my dog is pit plz help

Is this a pit bull?

no, a staffordshire terrier

December 5, 2010 Flag

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Janessa

Answers:

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

If you want to find out if your dog is a Pit Bull check out some of the canine DNA sites. Your vet can do the blood draw and send it to the laboratory of your choice. (03/30/2008)

By mmclift

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Looks like a pit mix to me. (03/31/2008)

By sandy63

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Could have boxer in it too! (05/27/2008)

By Courtney

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Take your dog to the vet and ask his/her opinion. (07/13/2008)

By VirtualCherub

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

I have a puppy that's 1/3 Bull Mastiff and 2/3 Pit Bull and your little guy looks almost like mine did when he was that small.

Can't really say for sure, but with the markings I'd guess he's possibly a cross with something. So adorable! (11/21/2008)

By Mal

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

PetCo sells a DNA kit. You swab the dogs mouth and mail it to a lab. Results seem to come around 4-6 weeks and I've seen as many as 6 breed DNA's from a single dog.

Also, the locking of the jaw is a myth. PBT's have incredible bite strength and the will to hold on to whatever they have in their mouth. There is no biological mechanism that "locks" the jaw. It's just pure power and determination to not let go. (12/31/2008)

By Pitty Pro

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

My puppy is 5 mo. old. She is a German Shepherd x Pit Bull Terrier. She looked almost exactly like the ones on here! We have a Staffy and my parents own a GSD. My baby mentally, so far, is like a GSD, with a calm temperament and likes to test my dominance! Very, very smart and loves to jump fences and wander. I wouldn't change her for the world! (09/08/2009)

By Victoria54664

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Here is Baby as a puppy at 5 weeks. (09/08/2009)

By Victoria54664

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

This is my dog Rocky at 6 weeks, 1/2 Boxer and 1/2 Australian Shepherd. Great dog! Very smart. He looks a lot like many of the pups on this page. Great mix. (09/10/2010)

By Rocky7

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Rocky, again at 7 months, 1/2 Boxer, 1/2 Australian Shepherd.
(09/10/2010)

By Rocky7

March 28, 2008 Flag

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?
I recently got a dog that I thought was a lab mix. Now she (Mocha) looks more like a pit every day. How can I tell if she is a pit?

Darnell from Lithonia, Ga

Answers:

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

If her fur is VERY short, unlike labs and if her jaws are more pronounced as she gets older. Labs are large breed dogs and Pits are medium sized so that should help you as she matures. To me she looks like a Pit mix. You can never really tell until she reaches about 6 to 7 months old. (01/11/2008)

By Flattopgrl

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Well, this probably isn't frugal, but I read that you can now have DNA testing done on your dog to determine what it's ancestry is. There was an article and photographs of different dogs. In the captions it explained what was discovered, Australian shepherd, border collie, chow mix, for example. I can't remember where I saw the article, but it appeared recently in a magazine. (01/11/2008)

By SusannL

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Some breeds can lock their jaws. Our Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Kuma) holds on to rope (locks his jaw on) so well that you can lift him 1m off the ground.

Here is a picture of him at around 6 months old.

Your vet will most likely be able to tell you too. (01/12/2008)

By moncarroll

RE: How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

I would sign up for obedience classes; a reputable trainer should be able to assist you both with breed recognition and assisting with any breed specific challenges or issues you might have. http://www.dogpro.org/ is a good place to locate a good trainer in your area. There are also many bull breed Yahoo groups that would be happy to look at photos and help you out. Good luck! Your dog is a cutie; please do not give up on her just because you think she might be a pit bull mix. (01/12/2008)

By DonnaDW

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Depending on the way her head and body shapes as she gets older will help you determine whether or not she has pit in her. My pit/lab looked just like a pit until he was about 8 months then you could see the lab in him because of his longer legs. (01/12/2008)

By Boomer_Squirt

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

My daughter has a "lab mix" 5 year old that started out looking like a lab puppy until the ears gave her away, lab ears lie flat against the head. Abby's ears go every which way depending on what's going on. She's the best, most loving friendly dog ever. It's all in the training. (01/13/2008)

By Chris B

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

To me you puppy looks like it has Pit bull in it. I am a Vet but, you can't always tell from pictures. Not all pit bulls ears stick up, you get there ears cut if you want the ears up, they're originally flapped down. But, look at the paws, and if it is about over 2 and 1/2 inches. It is most likely a pit.

(01/14/2008)

By BREANNA

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

What a cutie!
And she does look *exactly* like our Lab-Pit ... Our dog was completely black with big paws and was a great family pet for over 15 yrs!

She was very strong.. but never a problem to our family or to anyone else or to any other animal in fact she was a VERY friendly animal!

We miss her! :( (01/15/2008)

By Simply Joyful

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

A mature lab has a blocky head, and a Pit has a more triangular head. You need the opinion of a person who can see your dog in real life, not from a little picture. Sorry, but ask your vet whom to ask. Good looking dog! (01/16/2008)

By kimhis

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

Well she looks a lot like my pit mix did, he`s almost 2 years old now very strong big and about the sweetest dog you can ever meet.
If she is, don`t just give up on her with the right training from the start a pit is harmless mine plays with neighbor hood kids as well as my own kids and grandkids (01/23/2008)

By gaby

How Can I Tell if My Dog is a Pit Bull?

The ears are very like pit bulls ears. (02/28/2008)

By eggy.

Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 28, 2008
curbside trash can
Tricks to Tell When the Trash Has Been Picked Up
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Pit Bull
Is My Pit Bull Full Blooded?
Friendly Pit Bull
Raising a Friendly Pit Bull
🎉
🎄