Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Separating Pots, Pans, and Dishes That are Stuck Together

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
pots and pans stuck together

Lids can become stuck to pots and dishes in the sink, such as two glass bowls, can stick one inside the other. This is a frustrating situation and seemingly difficult to resolve. This is a guide about separating pot, pans, and dishes that are stuck together.

Solutions: Separating Pots, Pans, and Dishes That are Stuck Together

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Pots Stuck Together

I had 2 pans that were stuck together. After trying everything I've heard of, I finally sprayed WD-40 into the sides of bottom pan, put them in freezer over-night, dropped them on concrete this morning, and VOILA! I have 2 pans again.

Wahoo! I had earlier tried putting ice in the top one and putting them on the stove on low, but it didn't work. So glad I have my favorite pans back again.

By Patsy from Hadley, MA

Tip: Two Pots Stuck Together

Separating 2 pans that have become stuck together can seem like a daunting problem. But it's not.

Using either heat or cold on both pans is a total waste of time.

To separate them use the heat = expand/cold = contract theory in simple physics.

Put the plug in your kitchen sink and fill it with water you have heated on the stove to not quite boiling and only deep enough to come close to the rim of the lower pan. Then put ice water in the upper pan. The hot water will expand the lower pan and the ice water will contract the upper pan allowing them to separate easily and safely with no damage to either one.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Separating Pots, Pans, and Dishes That are Stuck Together.

Question: Glass Cups Stuck Together

Two cups stuck together.I was doing the dishes and when I pulled out two of them they where stuck together one facing the other, the openings together. I don't what to break either. We tried everything. Help.

By SR

Most Recent Answer

By Denise03/06/2014

Try putting them in the freezer for a while and see if that helps.

Question: Removing a Plate Stuck in an Aluminium Vessel

I stuck my steel plate in the aluminium vessel, now how do I remove it?

By Shinu

Best Answer

By Louise B.02/16/2014

Put ice on the steel plate; heat the outer vessel in hot running water. Outer aluminum vessel should expand enough to let you remove the cold steel plate.

Question: Pot Stuck in China Casserole Dish

How do I remove an aluminum saucepan stuck in a china casserole dish?

By VLF

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.11/07/2012

I would set the china dish in a sink with hot water - not enough to cover - but HOT - you want to heat up the china dish a bit. That might just do the trick on its own. And then add some ice cubes to the aluminum pot, and it should contract enough and the dish expand enough to come apart.

Question: Removing a Plate Stuck in Frying Pan

How do you get a plate unstuck from the inside of a frying pan?

By Shasta B.

Most Recent Answer

By shasta braack10/13/2009

Thank you all for the ideas, my daughter and I tilted the pan and ran hot water over the bottom and eventually the plate slid right out :) Thanks everybody!

Question: Bowl Stuck Inside Glass Pot

I was warming up some food in a large bowl by putting water in a glass pot and putting the plastic bow on top. Now the bowl is stuck inside my glass pot and I can't remove it. There is still a small amount of water in the pot but the bowl is embedded.

Staffney from Baltimore, MD

Best Answers

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD (Guest Post)01/14/2009

Hot water expands fibres in certain materials. You need to shrink them instead. Try popping it in the fridge for a while or fill with icy cold water, and try separating them again.

Best Answers

By Sharon (Guest Post)12/02/2008

I had something similar happen with 2 pyrex baking dishes. I tried the hot/cold water method to no avail. Finally, on a whim, I sprayed both dishes with WD-40 and they slid apart like a charm.

Question: Glass Lids Stuck Together

I have two glass casserole dish lids that are stuck together like glue on paper. I have tried soaking them in hot and cold water, banging them apart, dish soap, oil, and a knife to try and separate the two. I have been unsuccessful so far. Does anyone have the magic solution to this odd and inconvenient problem?

Nita from Michigan

Best Answers

By Denise Roche09/24/2005

Cold will contract (shrink) glass and heat will cause it to expand. It isn't visible, but it is enough to help get stuck glass items apart.

Cool the inner lid (ice sound like a great idea) and warm the outer one at the same time. This should help. It is the preferred method for separating 2 glasses stuck together, there's no reason it can't work for lids.

Denise

Best Answers

By Holly [350]09/23/2005

Put ice in the top one (that will make it contract) and when it gets good and cold, try separating them.

Best Answers

By rosa (Guest Post)09/22/2005

Have you tried cooking oil to try to get them apart ? or the bakeing spray , like pam ,ect . maybe if you spray the lids with that in the area where they are stuck together you can work the apart .

Question: Dish Stuck Inside Pot

Any advice on how to remove a dish that fell inside an aluminum pot? Would freezing or just cooling both cause them to shrink and separate?

Thanks

Mike

Most Recent Answer

By Guy (Guest Post)01/02/2005

Well just cool the dish that fell in and heat the aluminum pot that should separate them.