Separating Dishes that are Stuck Together

Lids can become stuck to pots and dishes in the sink, such as two glass bowls, can stick one inside the other. This is a frustrating situation and seemingly difficult to resolve. This is a guide about separating dishes that are stuck together.

pots and pans stuck together
Filter Sort

Tip: Separating Stuck Pots and Pans

By Vasudha P. 1

This is foolproof technique.

1) Immerse the stuck vessels in water by adding weight into vessel, anything heavy.

2) After water goes into the lower vessel, heat it on a flame, dry heating.

3) The water in the lower vessel evaporates. The steam pushes the upper vessel.

4) The vessels are thus separated effortlessly without causing any damage to the dishes.

menage photo of process

Source: Mother's experience.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Glass Lids Stuck Together

By Nita 1

I have two glass casserole dish lids that are stuck together like glue on paper. I have tried soaking them in hot and cold water, banging them apart, dish soap, oil, and a knife to try and separate the two. I have been unsuccessful so far. Does anyone have the magic solution to this odd and inconvenient problem?

Nita from Michigan

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Have you tried cooking oil to try to get them apart ? or the bakeing spray , like pam ,ect . maybe if you spray the lids with that in the area where they are stuck together you can work the apart .

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Holly 367 1,263 Flag

Put ice in the top one, that will make it contract. When it gets good and cold, try separating them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Denise Roche 12 Flag

Cold will contract (shrink) glass and heat will cause it to expand. It isn't visible, but it is enough to help get stuck glass items apart.

Cool the inner lid (ice sound like a great idea) and warm the outer one at the same time. This should help. It is the preferred method for separating 2 glasses stuck together, there's no reason it can't work for lids.

Denise

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bowl Stuck Inside Glass Pot

By STAFFNEY 1

I was warming up some food in a large bowl by putting water in a glass pot and putting the plastic bow on top. Now the bowl is stuck inside my glass pot and I can't remove it. There is still a small amount of water in the pot but the bowl is embedded.

Staffney from Baltimore, MD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I had something similar happen with 2 pyrex baking dishes. I tried the hot/cold water method to no avail. Finally, on a whim, I sprayed both dishes with WD-40 and they slid apart like a charm.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Hot water expands fibres in certain materials. You need to shrink them instead. Try popping it in the fridge for a while or fill with icy cold water, and try separating them again.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dish Stuck Inside Pot

Any advice on how to remove a dish that fell inside an aluminum pot? Would freezing or just cooling both cause them to shrink and separate?

Thanks

Mike

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Well just cool the dish that fell in and heat the aluminum pot that should separate them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Pots Stuck Together

By patsy 1 1

I had 2 pans that were stuck together. After trying everything I've heard of, I finally sprayed WD-40 into the sides of bottom pan, put them in freezer over-night, dropped them on concrete this morning, and VOILA! I have 2 pans again.

Wahoo! I had earlier tried putting ice in the top one and putting them on the stove on low, but it didn't work. So glad I have my favorite pans back again.

By Patsy from Hadley, MA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fiestaware Stuck Together

By Lewissan 40 230

I have a Fiestaware coffee cup stuck in a cup. Any advice on how to remove it without breaking it?

coffee cup stuck in small bowl or cup

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lewissan 40 230 Flag

The trick was a combination of hot water and dishsoap. Will post the solution as a tip. Thanks for the feedback!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Steel Lid Stuck into a Steel Box

By Kusuma 1

I have a steel box lid stuck into another steel box tightly. I tried different ways, but have not been successful. Can someone help me with how to separate these two without any damage to both box and lid?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

You can try putting ice in the smaller box and running very hot water over the outside of the larger box at the same time. May need several tries to have the large one expand and the small one shrink at the same time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing a Plate Stuck in Frying Pan

By shasta braack 3 5

How do you get a plate unstuck from the inside of a frying pan?

By Shasta B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By shasta braack 3 5 Flag

Thank you all for the ideas, my daughter and I tilted the pan and ran hot water over the bottom and eventually the plate slid right out :) Thanks everybody!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Glass Cups Stuck Together

Two cups stuck together.I was doing the dishes and when I pulled out two of them they where stuck together one facing the other, the openings together. I don't what to break either. We tried everything. Help.

By SR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Denise 22 Flag

Try putting them in the freezer for a while and see if that helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing a Plate Stuck in an Aluminium Vessel

I stuck my steel plate in the aluminium vessel, now how do I remove it?

By Shinu

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Put ice on the steel plate; heat the outer vessel in hot running water. Outer aluminum vessel should expand enough to let you remove the cold steel plate.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Springform Pan Bottom Stuck in Cake Pan

By vatech90 1

I have a 9" springform pan bottom that got wedged down into my round 9" Wilton cake pan. Since they're the same size the springform pan bottom fell to the bottom of the cake pan and is so tightly wedged in I cannot get it out. I have tried putting the bottom in hot water and ice in the top...nope. I tried freezing them...nope. They are so snug on the bottom I can't get water under the springform pan and I don't think there's any room under it anyway to try and steam it off. There is absolutely no wiggle room between the two. I don't want to ruin either pan, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to sacrifice one to save the other. Any ideas?

Springform Pan Bottom Stuck in Cake Pan

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Pixiedust7 7 897 Flag

I would try pouring in some vegetable oil and let it seep in between the two pieces for a while, then invert them in the sink and see if the pan bottom will drop out. With a little tapping on the cake pan bottom, or tapping the rim on the sink, maybe the two will separate.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pot Stuck in China Casserole Dish

How do I remove an aluminum saucepan stuck in a china casserole dish?

By VLF

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I would set the china dish in a sink with hot water - not enough to cover - but HOT - you want to heat up the china dish a bit. That might just do the trick on its own. And then add some ice cubes to the aluminum pot, and it should contract enough and the dish expand enough to come apart.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Two Pots Stuck Together

By Cricket 205 896

Separating 2 pans that have become stuck together can seem like a daunting problem. But it's not.

Using either heat or cold on both pans is a total waste of time.

To separate them use the heat = expand/cold = contract theory in simple physics.

Put the plug in your kitchen sink and fill it with water you have heated on the stove to not quite boiling and only deep enough to come close to the rim of the lower pan. Then put ice water in the upper pan. The hot water will expand the lower pan and the ice water will contract the upper pan allowing them to separate easily and safely with no damage to either one.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lid Stuck in Blender

I have a Bella Rocket blender. The hard plastic lid is stuck in the bullet hard plastic lined blender portion. I can not remove it. I tried boiling water and have tried using a small putty knife. I don't know if I can put it into the freezer as the motor portion is in the bottom.

By June D

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Separating Metal Pot Lid from Glass Stove Top

I left my steaming hot metal pot cover (lid) on my glass top and it got stuck. How do I separate them?

By Coco

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Repair Other DishesJune 29, 2013
          ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
          Cooking with cast iron pans.
          Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
          Dirty Pots and Pans
          Cleaning Pots and Pans
          Dirty drip pan and stove top.
          Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
          Pots and pans.
          Organizing Pots and Pans
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:26:24 AM on 10.0.2.221 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
          NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
          Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
          BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
          CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings