Repairing a Glider Chair

Category Chairs
Repairing a Glider Chair
Repairing a glider is generally more cost effective than replacing it, besides it may be your favorite chair and well broken in. This is a guide about repairing a glider chair.

When I lean back in the chair while rocking it makes a thunking noise. It seems to be on my right on the bottom part back of the chair. If I sit up straight or lean ahead a bit it glides smoothly. I am just wondering if maybe it's the ball bearings. I tightened any parts that were loose.

The nuts and bolts need to be tightened. Put the glider on a levelled surface and when u sit on it try not to put all Ur weight on one side.

You probably do have a problem with the bearings. They may need lubrication or replacing. I found a very informative article with photos here: http://tomstek.  ing-chairs-tips/

If your glider is relatively new, I'd contact the manufactures and ask them.

Otherwise, it may need to be tighten or oiled up.

We have the same problem. Found that the "thunking noise" is a broken spring that hits against a cross wooden support. Currently trying to find replacement parts; can anyone help with this?

I was given a rather old wooden glider. It has been in my family for many years and recently a part broke. How can I find this part or fix this chair?

Go to a furniture repair shop that specializes in restoring antiques. They can order the part for you. You could then have them fix it, or do the repair yourself.

to me it looks fairly straightfoward. You look for that particular piece, either at a furniture repair shop or woodworking shop, unscrew it and then screw the new one back in.

here's an eBay search that could have the parts http://www.ebay  /glider-bearings

and here's one from home depot: http://www.home  rts/N-5yc1vZc7ns

Check with a furniture store, or see if someone has a 3D printer that could make a new one. Or, have a metal one made by an iron or welding shop or if you have an iron forge. We have a blacksmith who comes to our antique club who makes replacement parts for various things, you may have one in your area who will do the same.

Do you have more details about the chair? Manufacturer, year, model number, etc. The first thing I would try to do is find the part on eBay. There are some reclaimed furniture parts for sale or you may be able to find another chair that you can use for parts. And do you still have all the pieces, maybe it can be welded together.

We have 2 oak Best Chairs, Inc. glider rockers. As we are living at the beach and opening our sliding glass doors frequently, the snake coils under the glider rocker seat have rusted and one of the coils is broken. They need to be replaced. Does any one know where I could purchase these or have them replaced?

Thanks for any suggestions.

By Joyce from Holden Beach, NC

Answers

The chair maker's website may sell parts, that would be my first place to check if this is something you feel you can do yourself. Also a check of the Yellow Pages or an online search for upholstery supplies should yield several potential parts sources.

You could try your local adult education centre to see if the current upholstery class would take on the repair job if you feel you need a low-cost repair solution. They will likely only charge you the cost of parts in exchange for using your chair as a teaching moment.

And there are loads of local craftsmen who do upholstery and repair in your community. Try the off or online community bulletin board to find one reasonably priced with a good reputation for trustworthy work and service times.

No matter who does the work, make sure the part is coated with something like Rust-Oleum to prevent this repeating. Rust weakens metal but if coated with a protectant, you can expect years of service from the repair even in your coastal situation.

http://www.diyu  ery-springs.html

I need to replace the 12" X 12" fabric under the glider seat cushion and hardware which is 4 short springs and 4 bolts to hold fabric at back of glider

Did you get an answer to your question about replacing the burlap? I have the same problem...

I recently won a Stork Craft glider with ottoman at an auction. When I opened the box, the arms were missing and the upholstery covering the seat is trashed. The upholstery is an easy fix, I'm not worried about that. I plan on calling Stork Craft in the morning to price replacement arms, but does anyone else know where to possibly find them? I've been on Amazon, eBay, Target, and various other websites looking for the parts.

You are on the right track. Stork Craft is the best source. Look for the model number underneath the chair. You must get arms that fit that model.

Was this brand new or used? Did you ask the auction if they had the arms somewhere - perhaps in another box since they opened it and couldn't fit it back into the original box? But I would go with the company for a replacement.

Stork Craft is a good brand - parts would be difficult to find on line as they would be difficult and expensive to ship - and would probably not be in good condition. You may not care about the condition but a seller would not want to show something that was maybe very torn/worn.

I do not know how much time you have before you will be needing this chair but you could try placing ads (free) on Craigslist and Freecycle asking for used chairs, particularly the arms. I believe a large number of the parts/arms will be interchangeable but you could always check one out.

It looks like the Storkcraft company is requiring a LOT of information about parts for orders on their email site.

So you may have to try calling them but be sure to have the model number.

Just for information as to the amount of information required for on-line parts order:

http://www.stor  /PartsOrder.aspx

But - here is a site that you can send just an email without all of the other information.

https://storkcr  /resources/faqs/

I inherited a glider rocker, but it scrapes when any weight is put on it and rocked. When I explored underneath, there is an ugly scraping path in the back where the connecting leg attaches to the base. Ideas?

Look for any loose screws and tighten them.

Lubricate the glider track.

If that doesn't help, you may need to replace a bearing.

your chair probably needs a good cleaning along with repairs.

here are a couple of really good sites that show how to clean and repair and also good maintenance.

http://homeguid  chair-35123.html

https://www.hun  -bearing-repairs

I have a glider and my lovely dog decided to chew on the arm when he was a puppy. I would like to know how I can order a new arm piece.

1. Contact the company that manufactured the product. You'll have to look for a tag. Do a google search for a company email.

2. Find a craftsman in your area that can make a new one and stain it the same color.

Where do I find springs that go in the bottom of a glider rocker? There are four long springs that are bent on the ends that go in the wood. I only need two. The chair is too good to throw away.

By Bernice

Did you try your local hardware store?

What is wrong if the chair going back too far, as if to turn over?

By Deborah

Wrap a bungee cord underneath to prevent it from going too far back and set your mind at ease. Did this with a porch glider and it worked great.

Where can I get the spring which is a 3/16 inch diameter coated spring and formed in a loop 12 inches in diameter?

By Gary W.

Any upholstery shop should have the part. You could also look online using a search term that includes the words upholstery supplies.

The manufacturer might sell parts as well, find their website either on paperwork from time of purchase or by doing a search with the company name, the type of item you bought, and the words repair parts.

I have a glider rocker where the chair has shifted to one side therefore making a knocking sound and scratching the platform. Any ideas on how to correct this, as the chair has a lot of life left?

By Sandy W.

Put a piece of carpet on the side the chair has lifted on. It will lift it up and off of the platform.

I have a glider rocking chair and under the cushion are straps, not spring coils. Do you know where I can get replacement straps?

Where can I get the black rocker arm for under the chair?

By Jill

Our gliders have a grid like metal base under the seat held on by clips and four wide rubber "bands" holding all to the frame. One of the bands is broken, where do I find replacements?

By Patty G

Just wondering where I can find the plastic insert that the metal glides in.

By Kyle

I need the metal part for the glider under the seat of a rocker. Where can I find one?

By Becky

Two springs for my glider rocker have broken. I need to know where I can purchase them.

By Margie

Where can I get a liner that goes over the coils in a glider? I bought a glider at a thrift store, but I threw the liner away because it was dirty/smelly. Is there an alternative for a liner?

By Sam

On the glider there's a piece that sits within the wood of the glider side that has come out - the screws are worn and need to be reinserted. How do I figure out how to take that one piece off without having to disassemble the entire glider? Is there a step by step guide to how to take the glider apart to fix (or correct terminology of the pieces)?

By Cheryl from Chicago, IL

How do I change the metal mechanism on the glider part because the bearings are coming out?

By Mary R.

I have a glider bearing of 7/8, with 1 in. shoulder, and 1/4 in thick with total length of 1 1/2 in and bolt 3/8 in diameter.
Where can I find this?

By TK

Our glider is not in alignment-rubbing on one side. How do we take the bottom of the rocker apart so we can straighten the chair rung or replace it?

By Dwayne S

When in the glide position the mechanism keeps jumping into the stationary position.
Can I adjust or repair that or is the mechanism gone altogether?

By Jean J.

The back and seat of my glider goes back too far, almost like a regular rocker. The chair does not sit up straight.

By JT

I have a glider and the back rest doesn't stay up. It has a metal bracket on each side and I can't find replacement parts. Any answers?

By Kevin B

I have 2 oak glider chairs. The glider mechanism is pretty much gone.
Where can I get these gliders repaired?
Thank you.

By Tussing Darlene from Tempe, AZ

Where can I find a replacement arm for a Pine Bassett Baby Cape Cod glider rocker?

By KatsKats from NV

Repairing a Glider Chair

I picked up a lovely glider chair from the street, but the seat support is broken. There are 3 curved springs with a square of white cloth (looks like linen) on top. They are stapled into the wood, but some of the staples fell off and so did the springs. Any idea about how to fix it will help. Thanks.

yyhuang from LA, CA

Answers:

Repairing a Glider Chair

I have a chair similar to this. In our town there is antique furniture shop. I asked what it would cost to repair, he said not much, under $30. He does repair in back of the shop. I think most shops do like that. It might be worth checking into. (01/03/2009)

By Ariela

Repairing a Glider Chair

I would go to an upholstery shop and see if you can buy some springs to replace the missing springs. If not, maybe they have something else to repair it. I have some old furniture that has what looks like strong elastic that is about 3 inch wide. You stretch it from one side of the frame to the other and staple it in place. (01/05/2009)

By Loretta B.

Repairing a Glider Chair

I have a chair just like that. My problem was that whatever cushion I put on it I could feel the springs through. Within a few short days I solved the problem by going to the lumber yard and getting a board that fit the seat and placed it on. No problems now and I have had the chair for over 5 years. Lumber stores usually have a scrap bin or they sometimes cut the wood for you. They cut mine for $0.50 a cut. (01/06/2009)

By soyzicks

Repairing a Glider Chair

I make and/or repair various types of furniture. It looks like you may be able to just re-attach the springs with new clips (if your going to take it apart and redo the seat). Or you could use some zig-zag repair kit parts to reattach the springs from underneath.

However, it looks like the only fabric you have left is the liner for the bottom of the seat. If so, you will want to get a piece of foam and some material to cover the same. (that shouldn't be too expensive either).

Once you set-up the springs correctly and position the foam just neatly staple the material underneath one side of the seat and carefully pull the material across and under the other side stapling there as well. Take care to NOT pull the material too hard or too little (this can give you crease lines or sagging bumps). Repeat the process with the two other opposite sides (neatly trimming out the material however you want it to lay near the corners).

l can sell you some of my extra supplies at cost (I think the basic manufacturing clips were like 4/$1 (the heavy duty spring brackets are like 2/$3). Anyway this can be an easy fix, it just depends on what you want to do with it. (06/10/2009)

By purpledama