Repairing a Glider Chair

Repairing a glider is generally more cost effective than replacing it, besides it may be your favorite chair and well broken in. This is a guide about repairing a glider chair.

July 8, 2015 Flag

I have a glider and my lovely dog decided to chew on the arm when he was a puppy. I would like to know how I can order a new arm piece.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

1. Contact the company that manufactured the product. You'll have to look for a tag. Do a google search for a company email.

2. Find a craftsman in your area that can make a new one and stain it the same color.

May 3, 2013 Flag

We have 2 oak Best Chairs, Inc. glider rockers. As we are living at the beach and opening our sliding glass doors frequently, the snake coils under the glider rocker seat have rusted and one of the coils is broken. They need to be replaced. Does any one know where I could purchase these or have them replaced?

Thanks for any suggestions.

By Joyce from Holden Beach, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The chair maker's website may sell parts, that would be my first place to check if this is something you feel you can do yourself. Also a check of the Yellow Pages or an online search for upholstery supplies should yield several potential parts sources.

You could try your local adult education centre to see if the current upholstery class would take on the repair job if you feel you need a low-cost repair solution. They will likely only charge you the cost of parts in exchange for using your chair as a teaching moment.

And there are loads of local craftsmen who do upholstery and repair in your community. Try the off or online community bulletin board to find one reasonably priced with a good reputation for trustworthy work and service times.

No matter who does the work, make sure the part is coated with something like Rust-Oleum to prevent this repeating. Rust weakens metal but if coated with a protectant, you can expect years of service from the repair even in your coastal situation.

http://www.diyu  ery-springs.html

January 8, 2015 Flag

Where do I find springs that go in the bottom of a glider rocker? There are four long springs that are bent on the ends that go in the wood. I only need two. The chair is too good to throw away.

By Bernice

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Did you try your local hardware store?

September 2, 2013 Flag

What is wrong if the chair going back too far, as if to turn over?

By Deborah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wrap a bungee cord underneath to prevent it from going too far back and set your mind at ease. Did this with a porch glider and it worked great.

March 25, 2013 Flag

Where can I get the spring which is a 3/16 inch diameter coated spring and formed in a loop 12 inches in diameter?

By Gary W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Any upholstery shop should have the part. You could also look online using a search term that includes the words upholstery supplies.

The manufacturer might sell parts as well, find their website either on paperwork from time of purchase or by doing a search with the company name, the type of item you bought, and the words repair parts.

April 19, 2015 Flag

Where can I get the black rocker arm for under the chair?

By Jill

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 14, 2015 Flag

Our gliders have a grid like metal base under the seat held on by clips and four wide rubber "bands" holding all to the frame. One of the bands is broken, where do I find replacements?

By Patty G

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 7, 2011 Flag

I have a glider rocker where the chair has shifted to one side therefore making a knocking sound and scratching the platform. Any ideas on how to correct this, as the chair has a lot of life left?

By Sandy W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put a piece of carpet on the side the chair has lifted on. It will lift it up and off of the platform.

February 8, 2015 Flag

Just wondering where I can find the plastic insert that the metal glides in.

By Kyle

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 26, 2015 Flag

I need the metal part for the glider under the seat of a rocker. Where can I find one?

By Becky

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 25, 2015 Flag

Two springs for my glider rocker have broken. I need to know where I can purchase them.

By Margie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 17, 2014 Flag

Where can I get a liner that goes over the coils in a glider? I bought a glider at a thrift store, but I threw the liner away because it was dirty/smelly. Is there an alternative for a liner?

By Sam

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 4, 2014 Flag

On the glider there's a piece that sits within the wood of the glider side that has come out - the screws are worn and need to be reinserted. How do I figure out how to take that one piece off without having to disassemble the entire glider? Is there a step by step guide to how to take the glider apart to fix (or correct terminology of the pieces)?

By Cheryl from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 7, 2014 Flag

How do I change the metal mechanism on the glider part because the bearings are coming out?

By Mary R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 26, 2014 Flag

I have a glider bearing of 7/8, with 1 in. shoulder, and 1/4 in thick with total length of 1 1/2 in and bolt 3/8 in diameter.
Where can I find this?

By TK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 22, 2014 Flag

Our glider is not in alignment-rubbing on one side. How do we take the bottom of the rocker apart so we can straighten the chair rung or replace it?

By Dwayne S

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 19, 2013 Flag

When in the glide position the mechanism keeps jumping into the stationary position.
Can I adjust or repair that or is the mechanism gone altogether?

By Jean J.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 28, 2013 Flag

The back and seat of my glider goes back too far, almost like a regular rocker. The chair does not sit up straight.

By JT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 23, 2012 Flag

I have a glider and the back rest doesn't stay up. It has a metal bracket on each side and I can't find replacement parts. Any answers?

By Kevin B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 15, 2010 Flag

I have 2 oak glider chairs. The glider mechanism is pretty much gone.
Where can I get these gliders repaired?
Thank you.

By Tussing Darlene from Tempe, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 21, 2009 Flag

Where can I find a replacement arm for a Pine Bassett Baby Cape Cod glider rocker?

By KatsKats from NV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 15, 2010 Flag

Repairing a Glider Chair

I picked up a lovely glider chair from the street, but the seat support is broken. There are 3 curved springs with a square of white cloth (looks like linen) on top. They are stapled into the wood, but some of the staples fell off and so did the springs. Any idea about how to fix it will help. Thanks.

yyhuang from LA, CA

Answers:

Repairing a Glider Chair

I have a chair similar to this. In our town there is antique furniture shop. I asked what it would cost to repair, he said not much, under $30. He does repair in back of the shop. I think most shops do like that. It might be worth checking into. (01/03/2009)

By Ariela

Repairing a Glider Chair

I would go to an upholstery shop and see if you can buy some springs to replace the missing springs. If not, maybe they have something else to repair it. I have some old furniture that has what looks like strong elastic that is about 3 inch wide. You stretch it from one side of the frame to the other and staple it in place. (01/05/2009)

By Loretta B.

Repairing a Glider Chair

I have a chair just like that. My problem was that whatever cushion I put on it I could feel the springs through. Within a few short days I solved the problem by going to the lumber yard and getting a board that fit the seat and placed it on. No problems now and I have had the chair for over 5 years. Lumber stores usually have a scrap bin or they sometimes cut the wood for you. They cut mine for $0.50 a cut. (01/06/2009)

By soyzicks

Repairing a Glider Chair

I make and/or repair various types of furniture. It looks like you may be able to just re-attach the springs with new clips (if your going to take it apart and redo the seat). Or you could use some zig-zag repair kit parts to reattach the springs from underneath.

However, it looks like the only fabric you have left is the liner for the bottom of the seat. If so, you will want to get a piece of foam and some material to cover the same. (that shouldn't be too expensive either).

Once you set-up the springs correctly and position the foam just neatly staple the material underneath one side of the seat and carefully pull the material across and under the other side stapling there as well. Take care to NOT pull the material too hard or too little (this can give you crease lines or sagging bumps). Repeat the process with the two other opposite sides (neatly trimming out the material however you want it to lay near the corners).

l can sell you some of my extra supplies at cost (I think the basic manufacturing clips were like 4/$1 (the heavy duty spring brackets are like 2/$3). Anyway this can be an easy fix, it just depends on what you want to do with it. (06/10/2009)

By purpledama

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get gliders to quit squeaking! My husband has tried several things but nothing lasts. It is so bad I can't rock while watching tv or visiting with someone or talking on the phone!!

Home and Garden Repair Furniture ChairsFebruary 13, 2013
Chairback Caddy
Making a Chair Caddy
mesh backed pneumatic office chair
Repairing a Pneumatic Chair
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
Glider Chair
Finding Glider Chair Replacement Cushions
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 8:14:49 AM on 10.0.2.237 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.