Broccoli Soup Recipes
Here's a hearty vegetarian soup that is perfect for fall. It is a great place to hide any vegetables or herbs you may need to use up; like basil, carrots or zucchini.
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 10 cups
- 2 heads broccoli
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 leeks, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 2 red potatoes, chopped
- 1 qt vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel and chop broccoli stems. Reserve broccoli florets (about 2 cups, bite sized or smaller) to add later in the recipe. Prepare the other vegetables in advance so they are ready to go into the pot. I added a zucchini because I have a surplus right now so feel free to add in any other veggies you have on hand.
- Heat heavy bottomed stock pot over medium heat. Add oil then onions. Cook onions for a couple of minutes, then add garlic. Cook for another minute then add celery and zucchini.
- Being sure that the cut leeks have been well rinsed or soaked, add them to the soup pot. Add broccoli and potatoes and 1 qt. of broth or stock. I used vegetable broth because I'm making a vegetarian meal, but chicken or beef broth would be also delicious.
- Bring soup to a boil and then turn to low. Add in Italian parsley, salt pepper and spices, to taste. I used Italian seasoning but any favorite herb blends would work here.
- When veggies are all soft, turn heat off and use an immersion blender to the pot to make it a nice consistency. You can store it now if you are not planning on eating soon.
- Before serving, bring to a simmer and add broccoli florets and additional water or some milk, if desired. Shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream or some bacon would be a nice addition to this soup. I tried crumbled feta in one bowl and it was delicious.
15 More Solutions
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Broccoli and cheese soup made with chicken broth or boullion and Minute Rice.Read More...
This soup is very tasty and makes a great broth!Read More...
This is a soup recipe from one of my first zines that I wrote. Really tasty and nice for a cold day or evening!Read More...
This makes a pretty large amount, so it is pretty economical if you need to feed a big family!Read More...
Different, but very good soup! If you like salmon, you'll like this soup.Read More...
Cook broccoli in one can of broth until tender. Remove and chop broccoli. Add remaining broth, milk salt, and pepper. Bring to just boiling.Read More...
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
Cook broccoli and onion in chicken broth till tender. Melt margarine. Stir in flour and seasonings. Slowly add 2 cups milk.Read More...
Boil water, broccoli, chicken bouillon and onions. Turn heat down and simmer until tender. Add the remaining ingredients; heat until the cheese and margarine are melted.Read More...
Heat the stock mixture over medium heat, add the onion, broccoli, and salt, and cook about ten minutes or until tender.Read More...
On medium heat cook the onion and broccoli, in a larger pan combine the soups, water and milk.Read More...
Cook broccoli as directed on package and do not drain. Add first salt and pepper. Saute' onion in butter. Add flour and stir.Read More...
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.