Finding Fabric Donations for Shelter Pet Toys

I'm looking for leftover fabric scraps or clippings to create animal shelter toys with my students. Where can I start? Where can we go to find those donations?

Thank you!

Check out neighborhood thrift stores for fabric! They all get tons of clothing donations, way more than they have room to display and some that are spotted or not saleable for whatever reason. Ask if you can pick up their discards. You might be able to do this weekly or monthly. You might have to dig through some unusable stuff but you're probably going to have a lot more usable fabric than you need. Besides clothing, don't forget to ask for towels, blankets, old pillows and curtains! You'll be helping the store get rid of things they can't sell and helping the fur babies at your local shelter. Now that's a win-win! Happy hunting and thank you on behalf of all those fur babies you'll comfort with your kindness.

Thank you so much! What a great idea!

Start with friends and family as so many things can be cut into scraps; old sheets, table cloths, pillow cases, clothing (buttons?), etc.

Craigslist and Freecycle both have places to request free items.

Here is an excellent site for thinking outside the box.

www.sixfiguresunder.com/.../

Great idea! Thank you!

I needed fabric to make little shelter blankets a few years ago. I couldn't believe what I found on freecycle.org. I don't know where you live, but you can always check and see if there's a group locally. You can post your "need" - MAKE SURE TO SAY IT'S FOR A SHELTER - and you'll probably find folks who are sitting of stashes of fabric and never even thought someone might want them!! Good Luck!

Thank you!

I would post what you want and your intentions on Craigslist.org in the wanted section.

Try a local thrift shop, I am sure if you tell what you want scrap materiel for they will be glad to donate them to you.

Freecycle and Craigslist. You can also ask fabric stores