Getting Fabric Donations for Charity Projects

Whether you are working on making quilts for sick children or teaching poor members of the community to sew, donated fabric will help move your project along. This is a guide about getting fabric donations for charity projects.

I am looking for fabric donations to make pillow cases for children with cancer. Where do I begin?

Answers

You can often ask thrift stores and craft supply stores for donations. Thrift stores have a wealth of unused fabric at rock bottom prices. You can also set up a "gofundme" account and see about people donating money. Lastly, advertise on Craigslist and you would be surprised at the responses. I did a fundraiser where I needed yarn and the response was amazing!! Good luck and please let us know how you did?

I have a huge collection of fabric and am looking for an organization that could make use of it. I would be willing to drive it to the location if it is not too far.

By Lynn O.

Answers

Call your local high school or theatre organization - they'll be happy to take it.

Where are you located? I'm looking for donations of fabric suitable for kids' pajamas for an orphanage in Haiti my church works with.

With my students we will be making sundresses and boys britches for a school in Kenya. We need cotton type fabric, thread, ribbon, elastic and trims. Thank you in advance for your help.

Do you still have the donations, I am looking for fabrics to make vestments for Priest and childrens clothes for Africa. Also any kind of material for sewing. thank you.

Where can I get donations of fabric and thread for a youth group? I teach them dance and help them stay off the street and teach them self respect. I need fabric for their dance costumes and I cannot cover the cost alone.

By Vicki L.

Answers

I am cleaning out my house to sell and used to make dresses for my daughter when she was small and quilts. I have 4 huge plastic containers full of scraps that I would love to donate. Please let me know how to contact you.

Anonymous

I am making quilts for sick children and can give you a tax deduction for fabric donated. Please contact me.

My name is Jessica and I am working on my Silver Award for Girl Scouts and I am wanting to make fleece blankets for Children's hospital. I was wondering how to get some fleece donations for my project?

I'm making stylish head wraps for cancer patients and looking for fabric donations. Any suggestions?

I am in need of free fabric. As part of this years Project Graduation decorating committee, I need to transform the school into a magical place. Project Graduation is an all night party which is hosted by parents of graduating seniors.

This party provides a safe, drug and alcohol free environment full of fun activities on the night of graduation. This years theme will take seniors on a tour of the world. My area is Asia. Where can I find fabric donations?

Kathleen from North Branford, CT

Answers

I used to work at a sewing factory, and they throw away lots. Check your local phone book to locate sewing factories and just ask, you'll be surprised.

Got to www.freecycle.com and join the one for your state/city. You can post a wanted on there and you will probably get some answers. This is also great to get rid of unwanted stuff cluttering your home or possibly receiving something you might need for it. Good Luck.

Or put an ad on CraigsList for your area; they have a "wanted" section where you can post for things that you are looking for. People are usually pretty good about donating for a school project; you might even get lucky and find some crafty person who could help with any sewing that might need to be done. Good luck!

If you can not find free fabric, scout local businesses for cash donations and buy the fabric. Most places are more than willing to donate for a chem and alchohol free graduation. Our local organizers get everything donated .

JOIN FREECYCLE! www.freecycle.org

It is a national network and they should have an online group in your area. It is basically an online community where people post things they want to give away for free (absolutely no selling allowed!). You can also make requests for specific things you are looking for for yourself, someone you know, or for organizations you work with.

I have found it to be very useful, and feel great that less stuff is ending up in landfills. good luck.

A local lady sews for charity. She had heard about a company that carried fabric, that was going out of business. She wrote them about her cause. They were VERY generous with her. Hope you're able to find some, too. Good Luck!!

Join freecycle :) Besides belonging to my local freecycle I am also a member of one in N.D. and NEB. (for the times when I go on vacation)
They have things that my city doesn't, like antiques and souviners :)

When I volunteered to do quilt making for heritage days at my local elementary school, I took a letter from the school with the schools letter head and went to my local wal-mart and other fabric stores. Everyone was kind enough to donate all sorts of supplies. I just made sure I made a big "thank you" with poster board with all their business names and placed it in full view in my working area.

I took photos of several of the children around the poster board, working on their quilt samples. I took each business that donated copies of the photos with thank you cards. The kids loved it and all the business's displayed the photos. It was a great success. You just don't know till you ask and make sure to thank them. All of them were very interested as to how it worked out.

Freecycle and Craig's list are great resources, but also go to your local fabric store, and decorator stores ask if they have any discontinued fabrics that you could buy for a discount or if they would be willing to donate some. Also, try to contact local interior designers, they often have sources of sample fabrics that can get donated. Ask EVERYONE you know, it's amazing what some people have in their homes, you might even find someone who would lend you something for the weekend.

I'm looking for leftover fabric scraps or clippings to create animal shelter toys with my students. Where can I start? Where can we go to find those donations?

Thank you!

I am looking for any quilting material donations. I am sewing quilts for sick kids that have cancer or autism and lap blankets for the vets and elderly as well. Where can I get donations? Any suggestions?
Please help!
Thanks.

I'm the Recruitment Chair and Co-Founder of a local sorority called Kappa Rho Delta at CSU Channel Islands in Camarillo, CA!

I am currently looking for locations to receive donated fabric or discounted fabric to use for charity projects such as the Snuggles Project where we create no-sew fleece blankets for animal shelters, Project Linus where we create those same blankets for children in crisis around the country, and Capes for Kids where we create capes to donate to children in shelters and hospitals to help remind them they are strong!

As a nonprofit organization, our sorority likes to partner with different companies where we can receive donations or discounts for projects and we promote their company on our website and around campus as well as receiving tax information from the charities we work with to provide them with if it is available.

"The mission of Kappa Rho Delta is to inspire, motivate, and empower women to create an inclusive and diverse environment through philanthropy and promoting awareness. Our focus is to help all forms of life that cannot help themselves such as children, animals, and the environment."

I am disabled and sew quilts. I am on limited income and in need of fabric. I make baby blankets and take them to the children's hospital and also make them for the army reserve. Does anyone know where I can get fabric donations?

I am looking to find free fabric scraps does anyone know where I could find them? I will be making quilts for my church for Christmas.

By Drea

Answers

Many churches or food pantries have free clothing that can be cut into quilting squares.

I go to consignment shops. You can ask what they do with clothes that don't sell. Some will give them away or charge small amount for a bag. I have got cool patterned fabrics from clothing I cut up for scrap quilts.

Start with other church members. A note in the bulletin will net you a lot of goodies. Most cities have a little ad sheet which will post things for free or nearly free.

I almost forgot something.... I used to go to freestyle.com
If it is still around it's a great place to find good stuff.

I am looking for donations of black velvet fabric to make award pillows for MN Special Olympics. Any suggestions?

Where can I get quilting fabric donations for pillow cases I am making for charity? I need bright colors and prints. I live in Elba, New York.

By Paula

Where can I find fabric remnants or scraps to be used to make various items to be sold at craft stalls at dog shows and fetes, with all proceeds going to FOSS (Friends of South Glos. Strays). The money raised is used to care for dogs until they find new homes and to pay for neutering/spaying and other veterinary costs. I am based in Bristol, UK.

The Islamabad Women's Center is a violence prevention program that uses entrepreneurship and education to empower women in the slums. We are just starting to get up and going. We have enough money to buy sewing machines and pay to rent for our center, however we would greatly benefit from any fabric anyone is willing to donate. I live in Atlanta and am a doctoral candidate in, violence against women prevention, at GSU. I am working with a colleague who lives in Islamabad and currently works with children in the slums. Donations sent to me (since it may be cheaper) is fine and I can pay for the shipping overseas. Included are the websites if you would like to check us out!
Go Fund Me: https://www.gofundme.com/IWCPakistan
Website: https://vawppakistan.com
Thank you so much!
Becky Wilson and Asma Naz

My church is planning on making a mock tabernacle and we are in need of fabric. Does anyone know how we can get donated fabric? The colors for a tabernacle are purple, blue, and scarlet. I would love any feedback. Thank you and God bless.

I was wondering where I can post to get donations of fabric sent to me? I make quilts for the local Police dept., Sheriff's dept., and church. I work and my paycheck goes to mostly materials needed to make them.

I live in Medford with my family. We are on a very tight budget, but want to do a family community service project. We are making small swaddlers and bib-burpee cloths for the youngest clients of Maslow project, a grass roots organization that helps homeless and at risk youth.

We will be in need of fabric and thread for our items. I am messaging local stores and store owners for deeply discounted or maybe even free fabric. Right now I am working on getting a machine and supplies. Any ideas for getting help on this project would be greatly appreciated!

I need to find out where I can get some fabric to make lap blankets for my school. I am doing a service project and I am making lap blankets for a care center. I need about 150. I can use any color or design. Any suggestions for where to ask?

Answers

Fabric stores may give you old and unsold yardage if you can provide some documentation of the project from your teacher.

I am beginning a church group to supply a local hospital with clothes for parents to choose from who have had a stillborn child. These can be used to dress the child for viewing and even burial. We are a small congregation so we do not have a lot of funding for this. We hope to include the NICU unit and their needs for sewn items they will need in bringing comfort for the parents and families. Any suggestions?

By Debra M.

Answers

This would be a good place to start. If you have those in your church who crochet/knit, you can also find a lot of patterns and sizes on google, too. I wish you well.

http://starlega  on.org/patterns/

I am looking for a place I can request a fabric donation for our senior center. I work with not only the elders, but with the whole community who we are teaching to sew. I would appreciate it very much if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thank you very much.

By A. Kewenvoyouma

Answers

Try local fabric stores or used clothing places.

I wondered if anyone had free fabric or knows where I can get donations to use to teach the homeless women.

By Donna

Answers

Where are you located? I have mostly polyester in blouse, skirt and pant weight that is available.

I am with a local AmeriCorps program called Project YES!. We are putting together an event for Make a Difference Day which promotes bringing members of the community together. It is the most encompassing national day of helping others. Held annually on the fourth Saturday of October, millions of Americans are rallied into a single day of action to help change the world.

This year for Make a Difference day, we are trying to put together a clothing drive and bringing in volunteers to make fleece blankets to donate to a local homeless shelter, children's hospital, etc. I have been contacting local fabric stores, but there has been no luck so far. I'm just wondering if there are any other resources that may be available to get in contact with. Thanks!

By Brittany S.

Answers

Check out your local Senior Centers and Assisted Living centers as well as any other Senior Only facilities. You will find many who not only can sew, but who have lots of time to do it.

I go to school at a post secondary school. It is for troubled youth and a lot of the people here don't have the money or the resources to learn to sew. I was hoping to start a sewing club and I am looking for places that have very low cost sewing items and fabric or that would be willing to donate sewing items and fabric to our school.

I work with the Neighborhood Youth Association (NYA), a non-profit organization serving underprivileged youth in the Mid-City, Downtown L.A., South Central, Mar Vista, and Venice areas. We are currently working on a few community-building projects requiring fabric.

One of the projects we are working on is making an NYA quilt, made by the hands of our youth (1st-12th graders) along with our volunteers, family, and alumni.

List of materials needed:
77 fabric squares measuring 5" x 5" each (or scrap pieces of fabric, larger pieces of fabric)
extra fabric for making designs
fabric glue
batting (61" x 40")
quilt backing (70" x 50")
thread

Does anyone have suggestions as to where I could reach out to get some of our materials filled?

Thank you!

By Ashley