Finding Free Laptops for Students

Although there are definitely active scams regarding free laptops, there are some legitimate programs through which students and others may qualify for a free laptop. This is a guide about finding free laptops for students.

I read on here about going through free cycle. That doesn't work so well here in Indiana. One place we were able to find a free laptop is through the college classifieds online. It wasn't perfect and it was in Chinese, but it had a good system. I enjoyed learning enough Chinese to learn what control panel was.

Another place you could try is the for sale/free or the computer/electronics sections on craigslist. Definitely be careful, but sometimes you can find someone who just wants to get rid of an old computer.

Overseas, they had a program for students where they could get a solar powered laptop. There was a promotion where the company was raising funds to donate them. Also, as far as special needs, Easter Seals has a program for kids who, after evaluation, can get what they need.

One last note, research writing a grant proposal. I know this sounds bad, but if you can afford a smart phone, you can afford a computer.

Hope this helps.

I just read about a computer grant you can apply to. I saw it on interconection.org, they also have discount on computers. You all should go check it out and, no, I don't work for them. Thank you!

Link: http://interconnection.org/low-cost-laptops.php

I'm trying to go to college online for teaching and early childhood education. I don't have any money to buy a laptop. How can I go about getting one?

Answers

yes

First you.look online but thwn try tolook for the cheapist one

I have no money for getting laptop but I am studying in accounting field I want work to studying in computarized accounting must I want a laptoo

I need a free laptop.

By brentwood

Answers

Don't we all.

I'll second that motion! Free anything is difficult to come by.
We have no idea where you live, your age, why you feel you should have a "free laptop", so either improve on your question or try for help in your local community.

I need a brand new car and the balance of my mortgage paid off.

I need one for school I do classes online to get my high school diploma anyone know of any programs that can help me I live in Stockton ca

village khauli p.o. khauli disst raipur (c.g.)

I need a free laptop computer for me to go to school on line thank you and God bless you

I am trying to find my daughter a laptop for school and it is hard for me some people for one at this time

I need a laptop to go back to school to get my high school diploma and to find a job I have a disability I do not have a lot of money I don't know if you guys can help me

I'm from Jordan and am studying computer science. I really need laptop and I don't have money to buy it. Is there any organization that can help me plz? Thank you.

I am looking for a organization that could assist me in getting a free laptop, for school. The library only gives me two hours a day, that is not giving me enough time. Also the library is closed on the weekend. Please help. Thank you for your time and consideration.

By Candi

Answers

Try the website freecycle.org. I got one for free through them.

I need a laptop for on line schooling. I go to the library and go to this program with mother. It's called the pic office to use the laptop they give you 15 minutes to use it. My or dad can't get me one after they pay bills there's not enough money to get one. I don't know what to do. I love school and don't want to mess it up.

I need a laptop for my studies.

hello right now i need a laptop because am going to study computer science and my family cant get me one cause we are so poor to buy it thats why am finding a free laptop i am sure i will get someone to offer me i will not give up until then. THANK YOU FOR READING IT

Is there anybody or organisation that could and would help me with a free Laptop PC? I'm a student of a Nigerian university and as such I need a laptop PC for a computer program in school. I'm from a poor home and as such my parents are not able to get me a laptop PC for school. Please I really need help from anybody. Thanks a lot!

By Queenex O.

Answers

Try the website freecycle.org ...they have branches all over the world. I got a free laptop from them in Canada.

I am student from nigeria. I need used laptops, to help for my school's program needs. As good student you need laptop to ease your school loads. Thank you. I will be so delighted, if some one can extend this kind gesture to me.

I need a free laptop for school. Where can I find help?

I am a single mother with a 6 year old boy. His father passed away 2 years ago and I need a laptop to further my education. I have not been able to find a source. Any advice?

I'm a college student at San Diego State University and my laptop was stolen yesterday. All my homework is online and I can't afford a new one. Can anyone help me out?

By Jetta B

Answers

Borrow a laptop from a friend :) and go to freecycle.com where people in your area give away all kinds of stuff FREE, including laptops.

I can't afford a new laptop at all and I need one that I can get for free. I need it for school.

By Rebecca

Answers

Try freecycle.org

I need a laptop for school and can't get one on my on. Can someone help me find out where to get a laptop?

By Cody

Answers

I would try a rent to own place and you could try joining freecycle.org, http://www.freecycle.org/ or you could try trading something for it, at a computer store and putting it on layaway to pay off the rest of it. Also the libraries usually have computers for their patrons to use and there are internet cafes that charge a small fee for using them. Believe me you save money because if you own a computer you know how expensive it is to keep working properly.

I would like to know where to find information (if available) on agencies that give out free laptops to underpriviledged veterans or students. I'm an Iraq Freedom veteran. I'm also currently studying for my RN license.

By Phil from San Juan, PR

Answers

Have you checked with the VFW? I haven't actually heard of any organization that does anything like that, but the VFW might know of something like that. I guess I don't understand what you mean by underprivileged veterans, because there are a whole lot of other people that are underprivileged, that don't get help with anything. Saying you are underprivileged is just like if I was saying I am an underprivileged elderly woman who is in poor health. If you are underprivileged you must be getting help with housing and some food stamps, and you should be able to work at least part time, a lot of students do. I went to a tech school in the late 80s when I was almost 50 years old and I used part of my school loans to buy an electric typewriter. Back then typewriters were still in use quite a bit. Basically I qualified for grants for my tuition and the school loans were to cover living expenses. The tech school I attended also had a computer lab that students from all of the categories could use to do their resume's but I think they used them for other things too.

If you have a computer club in your area, you might ask someone there. Or a computer repair shop might have items (computers) that you can get free or reasonable. Good luck. :-)

Hello, Phil. I'm not sure what you mean by "under privileged", either. Regardless, as you are a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom who served in the U.S. military it seems likely that you could be eligible for some amount of government assistance via the Post 9/11/2001 G.I. Bill which supports higher education.

You need to directly contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to apply for these benefits, determine your eligibility and begin the paperwork process of receiving any such benefits. Benefits are based on a tiered schedule, depending upon how long you served and can (but don't always) help pay for things from housing to tuition and the costs of books and supplies up to a certain amount.

I wish I could help more, but this is pretty much the extent of my knowledge on the G.I. Bill. Perhaps a person you are still in contact with in the military may be able to offer more assistance. I hope this info gives you at least a starting point for further research.

Good luck, Phil, and thank you for your patriotic service to the U.S.A.

The Veteran's Hospital in Boston mentioned my husband qualified for a free computer. We see the V.A. Hospital for severe eye problems, and that department keeps a social worker on staff.Could you call and ask to speak with the ombudsman or a social worker for your particular problems? Good luck.

Thank you Phil!

I am a college student, and really need a laptop for my thesis. I am a 3rd year college student working on a bachelor degree in elementary education.

By Rodel

Answers

Are you receiving financial aid?
That is usually used for things like this.

In my experience, people do not write a thesis for a bachelor degree, especially in elementary education. Seems strange to me. How have you gotten into third year without a computer? If you truly do need a laptop, now is the time to get an extra job, and earn the money for it, as stores must need all sorts of extra staff during the holiday season.

I can't be of much help with money for a laptop. But I do recommend that you continue your education :)

I am Hadijja from Uganda. I am a poor graphics student who needs a laptop. Therefore I am requesting names of any organisation that can help me get one. Thank you.

I am starting school soon and don't have money for a lap top and need help getting. Where can I find help?

I am stundent doing accounting and finance. Where can I find an organization offered free laptops? I will be pleased to hear from you soon.

How can a homeless student can get a free laptop? My names is Christopher and I am a homeless student and I need a laptop for my college studies. The library is not always open.

By Christopher

Answers

check out www.freecycle.com you ask for stuff and people give it to you for free...no strings....good luck with your studies!!

Try calling the local churches in your area. Explain your situation. The catholic church in our area has an organization - St. Vincent's DePaul that helps people in need. Good luck!

I am a university student. I have to do lot of academic work so definitely I want a laptop for doing that work well. Can you help me find an organization that provides free laptops?

By pemarathana

Answers

Hi, I'm in the same boat! I couldn't find an organization that donates laptops to college students, but I do know that some grants and scholarships cover school supplies as well as tuition. Have you heard of Fastweb? Check it out. You might qualify for more than you think.

Anyways, I would suggest trading with other students. A semester's worth of textbooks you purchase with financial aid can easily exceed the amount of money you would pay for a laptop. So, a student who wants to upgrade his/her laptop has to carve out room in her budget for textbooks first, right? Colleges often have programs available for students who want to make a direct trade. You might look into putting up a note at the student union that specifies your conditions of the trade and includes basic contact information.

You can trade them in for cash at your college or through Amazon if you can't/ don't want to trade with another student. You will not get a full refund for the books. They also have to be in good condition. BUT, if you have a big stack of textbooks hanging around, you might get enough back for them to cover half or more of the cost of a laptop. Save up that money!

I am a student; I need to finish Thsylm. Where can I find an organization that provides a laptop to students?

By Fatemeh from Iran

I am an unemployed college student at Stone Academy in West Haven. I looking for a laptop because they do not give you one and I am on disability. How do I get a free laptop because financially I can not buy one; so what do I do?

By Michael from New Haven, CT

Answers

I, too, am a full time college student that is not working. At the college that I attend, I am allowed to request funds from my financial aid in order to purchase things for my education. I have done so twice in the past 3 months: once to buy a monitor and once to buy a desktop tower. You might look into that aspect.

I am kindly writing to ask if there is an organisation that can offer me one for free. It doesn't matter even if it's second hand, but it must be a laptop because I really need one for school. I need it so I can finish MU schooling. My parents kicked me out and I barely have enough for rent so I definitely can't afford a laptop.

By Victoria

Answers

Hi - glad you are in school. One of my friend's sons could not afford a laptop but applied for student loans and bought it with some of these funds. Of course you have to pay back the money later but that is the only option many people have.

I have no idea where you live (US or?) but you should go to your school bulletin boards and check with the school office for help and suggestions. Your local churches may also have some suggestions.

I am in nurses training college in Ghana and I need a free laptop from either an individual or an organization with which I can improve my research work, since I cannot afford one.
Thank you very much for your precious time.

By Daniel from Accra, Ghana

I am student at Uganda Christian University currently undertaking a bachelors degree in divinity and I am in need of a laptop which will help me to go about with my course work and research work. Even after the courses are complete it will help me to carry on the ministry of God. Which organizations or individuals can provide free laptops to a Bachelor of Divinity student?

By Gideon M. from Mukono, Uganda

I am in one of the institution circle in the country and I have financial problems. I need a laptop to help me study and improve my performance. I would like to be an accountant in the future, but money is my problem. Can someone tell me where I can get a free laptop?

By Christopher A. from Accra, Ghana

I'm a student who needs to get a laptop to finish school and to go to college to get her chef's degree.

By Maegan

I am a student of Addis Ababa University in my 1st year in the economics department. I haven't got a lap-top and I can't buy one because of a lack of money. Please help me. It is necessary for my subject.

By Meti

I'm in need of a new laptop for high school. I'm home schooled. Where can I find help?

By Taylor from Kansas City, KS

I am a university student looking for a laptop for my school work, please help.

By Steve Steve from Nairobi

I'm a university student from Sri Lanka. I need a laptop for my studies. It will be a big help for me. I'm not on a stable enough income to buy a laptop. Does anyone know where I might find help getting one?

By Suranga

I need a laptop for my kids to do their homework. Any suggestions?

By Suleika S. from Philadelphia, PA

Can you please help me out? I need a laptop. I cannot afford one that I need for work and school. I am using my little cell phone. Can you tell me of an organization I can contact for assistance? Thank you.

By Ruth

I am a very poor student. I want to find a way to get a free laptop. Please help. I know mobile, computer hardware, and software. I will go next step in very use with a laptop. Please help me find an organization that might assist me.

By vijaiyalayan

I am unemployed college leaver from UK currently in Kenya. I am in desperate need of a free working laptop. My financial aide is not adequate to provide me with money to buy. I am kindly writing to ask if there is anybody or organisation that can offer me one for free. It doesn't matter even if it's second hand.

By Charles from Embu, eastern Kenya

I am a new college student at Bay college in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I am in desperate need of a free working lap top. My financial aide is not enough to provide me with one and I spoke with financial aide to find out if they can help and was told no.

I am a single mother trying to obtain my LPN I have no income. Are there any charities or organizations that can help with this?

By dragonwings

Answers:

Organizations to Help Low Income Students Get Free Laptops

I would check to see if you can buy a used laptop. They are much cheaper and you won't need bells and whistles to use it for school. We just bought one from a friend for $100. There might be students at your school who are upgrading who will sell one to you. Or check around to see what computer stores or even thrift shops sell used equipment. You would be surprised to see what good stuff people donate. (12/21/2010)

By pamphyila

P.S. Pawn shops might be another source for a cheap used laptop! (12/21/2010)

By pamphyila

Dragonwings, try your local free-cycle, there may be someone who will or did get a new computer for Christmas. I would also see if there is any kind of foundation that assists single mothers with items for college, or just for nursing students. (12/22/2010)

By JMRoss

Check out freecycle.org and ask for stuff. They have rules for using their site. You can only ask for one item per week. Your first post must be a give away, but you can give anything. I have offered boxes of Kraft dinner, a non working computer tower, some shoes and t-shirts, etc. and everything has been snapped up quickly. Especially the food items! It's a great way to help others in the same situation you are in. Good luck with your education and good for you for trying to save money. (12/22/2010)

By catastrofy

Dragonwings, you could also check craigslist for a cheap or possibly free one. I for one, am glad to see that you are going to school to better yourself and take care of your child! Good for you! Good luck in your pursuits. :) (12/22/2010)

By dellajo

Maybe you could babysit for someone while they shop or whatever to earn enough money for a laptop. I got mine last year for $219 after Christmas. It is a 10 inch small one, but I use it everyday and I love it. You could advertise at the school, not full time babysitting, but for whenever. Congrats on Nursing school! I went 15 years ago and I had 4 kids, all in school and a husband. I was 38 and finished 2nd in my class! Good Luck. (12/23/2010)

By HAPPYINHARNED

Check with your university's library to see if they have a lending program for computers. You might be pleasantly surprised. Ask if they have any recommendations. (12/27/2010)

By cookwie