Finding Free Laptops for Students

Although there are definitely active scams regarding free laptops, there are some legitimate programs through which students and others may qualify for a free laptop. This is a guide about finding free laptops for students.

I read on here about going through free cycle. That doesn't work so well here in Indiana. One place we were able to find a free laptop is through the college classifieds online. It wasn't perfect and it was in Chinese, but it had a good system. I enjoyed learning enough Chinese to learn what control panel was.

Another place you could try is the for sale/free or the computer/electronics sections on craigslist. Definitely be careful, but sometimes you can find someone who just wants to get rid of an old computer.

Overseas, they had a program for students where they could get a solar powered laptop. There was a promotion where the company was raising funds to donate them. Also, as far as special needs, Easter Seals has a program for kids who, after evaluation, can get what they need.

One last note, research writing a grant proposal. I know this sounds bad, but if you can afford a smart phone, you can afford a computer.

Hope this helps.

I just read about a computer grant you can apply to. I saw it on interconection.org, they also have discount on computers. You all should go check it out and, no, I don't work for them. Thank you!

Link: http://interconnection.org/low-cost-laptops.php

I'm trying to go to college online for teaching and early childhood education. I don't have any money to buy a laptop. How can I go about getting one?

I need a free laptop.

By brentwood

I am looking for a free laptop for my engineering studies. Can you give me any advice please?

Answers

Best Answer

There are some universities that will help students get a free laptop for school. You'll need to apply for the grant and check the universities in your are if they offer this type of program or not.

You can also visit this website and find out about all the government programs they have for students and see if you can qualify for one. www.benefits.gov/

Best Answer

There is financial help to purchase laptops available through many universities and grants. You do not say where you live but most respondents will assume you live in the US.

• If you do not live in the US then most of the information listed may not apply to you.
  • Your first stop should be the finance/student aid office at the university you attend.
  • They should be able to tell you if there is money available to help you and if not through them then they will be able to tell you where and how to apply to other places.
  • There will always be certain qualifications for aid of this sort and they can also tell you if you qualify.
Best Answer

Ideas on how to get free laptop for students

• Apply for grants
  • Ad

• Apply for any contests that perhaps involve writing essays, short stories or something for money prize, or laptop
  • Try to enter giveaways on social media (Facebook/Instagram/Twitter) from the brands
  • If you're low income you can see if you qualify for any low income subsidy
  • Long shot but see if anyone is giving away a pre-owned used laptop on Craigslist, Freecycle (or post a wanted for inexpensive if you could afford it)

I'm from Jordan and am studying computer science. I really need laptop and I don't have money to buy it. Is there any organization that can help me plz? Thank you.

I am looking for a organization that could assist me in getting a free laptop, for school. The library only gives me two hours a day, that is not giving me enough time. Also the library is closed on the weekend. Please help. Thank you for your time and consideration.

By Candi

Answers

Try the website freecycle.org. I got one for free through them.

I am 17 and I plan on going to college to get my associates degree and more beyond that. The only problem is that I do not have a laptop that will allow me to do my college courses properly or sufficiently. Where can I get a free laptop? I cannot afford to buy one. Any help will be appreciated!

Answers

Best Answer

At one point Microsoft was helping out students with free laptop. Unfortunately, this program has long ago expired.

Today there are a few universities that help out students with a laptop. However, most of these are online. You can check with the college you'll be attending and see if they have this program available for you.

Otherwise, you can apply for a grant to receive a free laptop.

You'll need to check on Freecycle.org, On It Foundation, Computer with Cases is a website, and also Computer Technology Assistance Group.

Best Answer

Most definitely check with the school you are planning to attend. My sister-in-law attended nursing school and received at the beginning but had to finish to completion to receive her full waiver. As someone else said, there are grants available to help pay for schooling and necessary things like laptops. Ask at admissions and explore your options.

Is there anybody or organisation that could and would help me with a free Laptop PC? I'm a student of a Nigerian university and as such I need a laptop PC for a computer program in school. I'm from a poor home and as such my parents are not able to get me a laptop PC for school. Please I really need help from anybody. Thanks a lot!

By Queenex O.

Answers

Try the website freecycle.org ...they have branches all over the world. I got a free laptop from them in Canada.

I am student from nigeria. I need used laptops, to help for my school's program needs. As good student you need laptop to ease your school loads. Thank you. I will be so delighted, if some one can extend this kind gesture to me.

I am in desperate need of help and any assistance available. I have been living at a battered womens shelter with my three children. I have a very old laptop and have been using it for the past month with this new job. The only problem is that it's missing 3 keys and is extremely slow. I have patience, but my school requires deadlines and emails. It is very demanding and I can no longer use that laptop. With this new course, one of the requirements was for me to have my own computer, but this one has gone out of commission. Is there a place that will donate used or refurbished laptops? I am also disabled and I beg of you to please help me out. I don't know where else to go or ask. I pray you will be able to help and if not then God bless you and I would greatly appreciate it if you could refer me to someone that can.
I do have all necessary documents to prove my case above.

I need a free laptop for school. Where can I find help?

I am a single mother with a 6 year old boy. His father passed away 2 years ago and I need a laptop to further my education. I have not been able to find a source. Any advice?

I'm a college student at San Diego State University and my laptop was stolen yesterday. All my homework is online and I can't afford a new one. Can anyone help me out?

By Jetta B

Answers

Borrow a laptop from a friend :) and go to freecycle.com where people in your area give away all kinds of stuff FREE, including laptops.

I can't afford a new laptop at all and I need one that I can get for free. I need it for school.

By Rebecca

Answers

Try freecycle.org

I need a laptop for school and can't get one on my on. Can someone help me find out where to get a laptop?

By cody.huery

Answers

I would try a rent to own place and you could try joining freecycle.org, http://www.freecycle.org/ or you could try trading something for it, at a computer store and putting it on layaway to pay off the rest of it. Also the libraries usually have computers for their patrons to use and there are internet cafes that charge a small fee for using them. Believe me you save money because if you own a computer you know how expensive it is to keep working properly.

I would like to know where to find information (if available) on agencies that give out free laptops to underpriviledged veterans or students. I'm an Iraq Freedom veteran. I'm also currently studying for my RN license.

By phil from San Juan, PR

Answers

Have you checked with the VFW? I haven't actually heard of any organization that does anything like that, but the VFW might know of something like that. I guess I don't understand what you mean by underprivileged veterans, because there are a whole lot of other people that are underprivileged, that don't get help with anything. Saying you are underprivileged is just like if I was saying I am an underprivileged elderly woman who is in poor health. If you are underprivileged you must be getting help with housing and some food stamps, and you should be able to work at least part time, a lot of students do. I went to a tech school in the late 80s when I was almost 50 years old and I used part of my school loans to buy an electric typewriter. Back then typewriters were still in use quite a bit. Basically I qualified for grants for my tuition and the school loans were to cover living expenses. The tech school I attended also had a computer lab that students from all of the categories could use to do their resume's but I think they used them for other things too.

If you have a computer club in your area, you might ask someone there. Or a computer repair shop might have items (computers) that you can get free or reasonable. Good luck. :-)

Hello, Phil. I'm not sure what you mean by "under privileged", either. Regardless, as you are a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom who served in the U.S. military it seems likely that you could be eligible for some amount of government assistance via the Post 9/11/2001 G.I. Bill which supports higher education.

You need to directly contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to apply for these benefits, determine your eligibility and begin the paperwork process of receiving any such benefits. Benefits are based on a tiered schedule, depending upon how long you served and can (but don't always) help pay for things from housing to tuition and the costs of books and supplies up to a certain amount.

I wish I could help more, but this is pretty much the extent of my knowledge on the G.I. Bill. Perhaps a person you are still in contact with in the military may be able to offer more assistance. I hope this info gives you at least a starting point for further research.

Good luck, Phil, and thank you for your patriotic service to the U.S.A.

The Veteran's Hospital in Boston mentioned my husband qualified for a free computer. We see the V.A. Hospital for severe eye problems, and that department keeps a social worker on staff.Could you call and ask to speak with the ombudsman or a social worker for your particular problems? Good luck.

Thank you Phil!

I am a college student, and really need a laptop for my thesis. I am a 3rd year college student working on a bachelor degree in elementary education.

By Rodel

Answers

Are you receiving financial aid?
That is usually used for things like this.

In my experience, people do not write a thesis for a bachelor degree, especially in elementary education. Seems strange to me. How have you gotten into third year without a computer? If you truly do need a laptop, now is the time to get an extra job, and earn the money for it, as stores must need all sorts of extra staff during the holiday season.

I can't be of much help with money for a laptop. But I do recommend that you continue your education :)

I am Hadijja from Uganda. I am a poor graphics student who needs a laptop. Therefore I am requesting names of any organisation that can help me get one. Thank you.

I am starting school soon and don't have money for a lap top and need help getting. Where can I find help?

I am stundent doing accounting and finance. Where can I find an organization offered free laptops? I will be pleased to hear from you soon.

How can a homeless student can get a free laptop? My names is Christopher and I am a homeless student and I need a laptop for my college studies. The library is not always open.

By Christopher

I am a university student. I have to do lot of academic work so definitely I want a laptop for doing that work well. Can you help me find an organization that provides free laptops?

By pemarathana

I am a student; I need to finish Thsylm. Where can I find an organization that provides a laptop to students?

By Fatemeh from Iran

I am an unemployed college student at Stone Academy in West Haven. I looking for a laptop because they do not give you one and I am on disability. How do I get a free laptop because financially I can not buy one; so what do I do?

By Michael from New Haven, CT

Answers

I, too, am a full time college student that is not working. At the college that I attend, I am allowed to request funds from my financial aid in order to purchase things for my education. I have done so twice in the past 3 months: once to buy a monitor and once to buy a desktop tower. You might look into that aspect.

I am kindly writing to ask if there is an organisation that can offer me one for free. It doesn't matter even if it's second hand, but it must be a laptop because I really need one for school. I need it so I can finish MU schooling. My parents kicked me out and I barely have enough for rent so I definitely can't afford a laptop.

By Victoria

Answers

Hi - glad you are in school. One of my friend's sons could not afford a laptop but applied for student loans and bought it with some of these funds. Of course you have to pay back the money later but that is the only option many people have.

I have no idea where you live (US or?) but you should go to your school bulletin boards and check with the school office for help and suggestions. Your local churches may also have some suggestions.

Load More