Finding Sewing Machine Manuals

Manuals get misplaced or when you buy a previously owned machine it may come without its owners manual. This is a page about finding sewing machine manuals.

I just recently received an older zig-zag sewing machine, Kenmore model #158.3011. It has the needle in the left side position, I cannot find a lever, switch, or button to get it to the center position. I would love a manual but cannot find one online.

By Dee from NY

Answers

I found 2 sites that you may want to try. The first one tells where to find the right number. (The number behind motor is not the right number)

www.sewusa.com/.../kenmore_Sewing_Machines.htm

homeappliance.manualsonline.com/.../kenmore_sewing_machine_product_list...

I hope that this helps.

This site below is WONDERFUL! They have old & hard to get copies of manuals for sale PLUS they have free threading diagrams for lots & lots of old & new machines. Just click on the "MANUAL" button at the top left of their home page... I buy a lot of older machines at thrift shops & this site has helped me. Also, my son was left an older machine by his grandmother when she passed on & he found out how to thread it & use it from this web site:

www.sewusa.com/

PS. If you need info, here's some great sewing forums you can post your question on. I like the top site the best:

sewingforum.com/.../index.php
ths.gardenweb.com/.../
sewing.patternreview.com/.../30

* An idea just came to me... Is the needle on the left because the machine is in the "Zig-Zag" setting? I just looked at my (early 1980's) Kenmore & when I have the stitch width turned wide then the needle will stay on the left or right, no matter what setting & type of stitch it's set on. Make sure your stitch width is set at straight stitch. The key is: Does the zig-zag still work with the needle in that position? If so, then just use a zig-zag foot (large hole foot) to sew straight & you should still be able to sew most everything. My brand new Brother has a setting that places the needle on the left, but it's a computerized model & I'm sure yours is mechanical. I had another machine that the needle was moved with a sliding lever. Also, I've had great luck going into small "ma & pa" sewing repair stores & they have showed me simple things about my machine at no charge.

---> Also, I don't know if you know it but most Kenmore machines are "low shank" machines as are most Brother & White (as well as Euro-Pro) machines... This means you can inter-change attachments & feet from one brand to another... Most Singers have a high or a slanted shank so the older Singer feet usually won't swap... I have owned several older Kenmore machines & the older they are the better. I had an early 1950's model & that machine was built to LAST as were all of the machines that were built before the 1980's. They were built stronger & if you can find a machine that's made before the 1960's or 70's then you'll have a REAL gem! These older machines are super strong & durable because they were built before plastic was invented (Plastic started becoming popular in the late 50's). They may be strong, but you pay for that in weight! ... These older machines many not have all the "bells & whistles" but as long as you have zig-zag you can sew pretty much anything with them anyway... In fact I just gave my 6 year old granddaughter a "Vintage" black 1937 Singer for her birthday & every time I sew on it I marvel at how much better & smoother it runs than my brand new machine & any of my other 4 "newer-used" machines. It's super-easy to thread (only 3 slots) & runs like it's brand new... (& I paid only $25 for it at my favorite thrift store!) But, alas, it has no ziz-zag... But it's so easy a 6 year old can thread it! ...But, don't try & carry it! ...Or your back will go out! ...It's got to be made of cast iron, I've never lifted a heavier machine!

Did you check to see if there was a way to move the needle on the holder itself? I had an old machine once and you could unscrew the needle, pull it out, and reinsert it in one of 2 openings, then reclamp, and start sewing.

Thank you very much!

I spent a lot of time worrying myself to death over this problem. One day I changed feet on my machine, and guess what? The needle was in the middle! I got to looking at the foot I was using - comparing it to the new one - the old ones's needle slot was off to one side , with the side foot wider on one side - all that worrying for nothing, when I should have just been thankful that it worked.

Many vintage Kenmores and other machines from the 50s and early 60s are left-homing, meaning that is where the needle is supposed to be - on the left. It was considered the best position in the days when most machines were used for sewing garments and neat edgestitching was a priority.

Yes that particular machine has the needle set to the left there is no changing positions.

This particular machine comes from the factory so the needle is always on the left, theres no moving the position.

I need a manual for a Spiegel 805B buttonhole zig-zag machine, is there anywhere to find one? Really, I just need to find out how to thread the needle in it?

Answers

Have you tried the Spiegel website - use 'contact us' to see if they have one in their pdf archive.

Another place to try (for threading helps) is YouTube - use the search function and type in the machine maker and model number followed by the words 'threading'. You never know, something might come up.

Finally, try an image search for your machine make and model - pictures should come up with links you can follow - eventually one will lead you to threading tips and possibly even a source for a manual:)

Looking for a pdf version of the user manual for a Universal Deluxe Dressmaker midel#KAT. I'm trying to learn the controls.

Answers

This is not a PDF and it is the only one I found. It is $10 plus shipping. www.sewusa.com/.../Universal_Model_KAT_Instruction_Manual...

This is not a very well known machine so a free PDF manual may not be available. If a manual for this machine costs less than $15 it is probable a good deal.

The link Judy gave is $10 plus shipping so that may be a good choice.

• You can always join Ismacs and they have a free (just to join {email} - not free to become a member!) and ask your question about a manual or anything you are having problems with. They have a very good forum for this sort of thing.
  • ismacs.net/digest.html
  • This lady (Lisa Alexander-Griffin - writer) did have a pdf file at one time so you might try asking her if still has one.
  • Do not go her link on Pinterest as that goes to a web site for sale. Click on "message" and hopefully she or someone will answer.
  • www.pinterest.com/.../

I've looked everywhere and I can't find a manual or anything on this Dressmaker zig zag model#3692. My wife's aunt let me use it and I've never used a sewing machine before so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Answers

Did you ever find the manual

Hello! I have a Dressmaker #466, serial #4304 that was made in Japan. I'm searching for a manual. If anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

I need a manual for a Universal Deluxe ZigZag sewing machine, model msaz. Any help would be great.

By C. D. Edwards

Answers

Is this the manual you are looking for? www.ardethgear.com/.../universal-de-luxe-zig-zag-sewing...

There is a YouTube Video that may also be helpful

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWmBB6za9-s

This website has many manuals. www.manualsonline.com/.../i-need-a-user-manual-for-my-vintage...

I have a vintage De Luxe Precision sewing machine. it is turquoise in color, the name American Home is on the front. It was made in Japan. I'm looking for a manual or help to sew on it.

By Kathy from Hattiesburg, MS

Answers

If you will google "sewing machine manuals American Home" you will find several sites that have them.

I learned to sew on this exact machine. I started sewing at 7 and got in trouble so many times for messing up the tension. My sister still has it. It is close to being an antique. Did you find the manual?

I was given a very heavy Rotary sewing machine. It is vintage, I think. It seems to be able to embroider with 2 spools of thread. I have no manual and I can't figure how to use it. Any suggestion?

By Linda

Answers

You did not mention brand name of rotary sewing machine, so I would suggest you google search "online (brand name) rotary sewing machine manual and see what you can locate.

I have an Usha Flora sewing machine. I can't fit my needle in. Is there a video that will show me how to fit the needle?

By Begum

Answers

Look underneath to see the opening for the needle. Make sure that the screw pin is loose so that the needle will slide in.There is a flat and round side to needles adjust until it fits snuggly(do not force it)then tighten the screw so needle stays in place. Gently turn wheel towards you to see if needle is in straight and goes down between the feeddogs properly. If this doesn't work go to google and put in the name of your machine and see what comes up,or put in how to thread the machine and see what links you can find.

Does anyone have information (a manual) for a White sewing machine model 3009N?

By R.M.

I am looking for a Spiegel Vogue Stitch 752-1500l manual. Please e-mail me through this site, if you know where I can get a copy.

By Connie

How I do I insert a zigzag cam?

By Barbara M

Having a sewing machine is great as long as you can learn how to use it properly. Thanks to the internet it is easier to find old publications. This is a page about finding a manual for an Atlantis sewing machine.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

If you have lost the manual for your sewing machine, it may be useful pick up another one. Often they are available online or can be purchased from an individual selling the manual. This is a page about finding Good Housekeeper sewing machine user manuals.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about finding Coronado sewing machine manuals. Sewing machines purchased second hand or inherited often come without their manuals.

Consumer Advice Product FinderJuly 27, 2014
🎂
🌻
🎃