German Potato Salad Recipes

Category Potato
There are many variations for making this popular version of potato salad. This page contains German potato salad recipes.

• 6 med. potatoes, peeled
  • 1 Tbsp. margarine
  • 1 tsp. flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1 sm. onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. bacon bits
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley

Directions:

Cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Cook salted water for 10 minutes, or until almost tender. Drain. Arrange in 2 qt. casserole and keep warm. In small saucepan, heat margarine. Stir in flour and salt until smooth, then gradually add water, vinegar, chopped onions, and sugar. Bring to a boil, stir constantly until thickened. Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with bacon bits and parsley. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Great potato salad recipe

• 6 large potatoes
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 3-4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. celery seed
  • dash pepper
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 3/4 cup water

Directions:

Cook potatoes, cool and slice; fry bacon, drain. Brown onion in bacon fat until lightly browned. Blend in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper. Cook over low heat until smooth and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in vinegar and water. Heat to boiling, boil 1 minute. Stir in potatoes and crumbled bacon.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I'm looking for a recipe for hot german potato salad containing Angostura bitters, bacon, and cornstarch. I got it from a friend's cookbook years ago but lost it. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Alph from SC

Answers:

Hot German Potato Salad

I hope this helps. It may not be the recipe you had, but I think it's probably pretty close. This one calls for flour instead of corn starch. You can change that and use cornstarch in it's place. Enjoy!

Shelly in AL

Ingredients

How to make Hot German Potato Salad.

Boil potatoes in salted water to cover; peel and cube. Dice bacon; fry in large skillet until brown and crisp. Remove bacon bits; drain on absorbent paper. Saute onion in bacon drippings until soft. Stir flour into onion mixture.

Mix vinegar, 1 1/2 cup water, salt, pepper and sugar together. Add to flour mixture gradually, stirring constantly, over low heat until thickened. Add bitters; cook until sauce is smooth and glossy. Add potatoes; heat through. Add bacon bits; mix well. Serve warm.

Garnish with parsley. (06/25/2009)

By Bama_Jypsy1

I'm looking for a recipe for authentic German potato salad. Thanks!

Cadia from ME

Answers:

Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe

I use this recipe all the time everyone loves it.

Cook bacon and put on a paper towel to cool crumble up bacon, cut, or mince whatever you like.

In the drippings, stir fry 2/3 cup minced onion until golden.

Blend in 1 tablespoon flour, add 3/4 cup water and the vinegar, sugar, salt, and papper.

Heat and stir until mixture boils, keep warm. While potatoes are still warm slice or cube into a large bowl. scatter with bacon, pour the hot dressing over the potatoes toss gently to mix.

Great heated up in the microwave or even cold.

HINT: I cook my potatoes the day before and put them in the fridge much easier to peel.

(07/10/2007)

By dadstiger

Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe

The recipe that dadstiger gives is almost the same as the one I was taught to make by my PA Dutch grandmother. the difference is she did not use flour she used 1 beaten egg to thicken it. Every person I have ever asked in PA Dutch country tells me that's how they make it. So try it both ways and good eating. (07/11/2007)

By tupelo granmom

Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe

How to Make German Potato Salad

German potato salad is made with a vinaigrette and served warm though we find cold German potato salad to be just as good. The vinaigrette is usually made sauce-like by cooking it with potato starch, corn starch, or flour.

If you are not familiar with German potato salad, give it a try. This traditional potato salad is made with sliced potatoes and plenty of bacon mixed with the potato slices. It is a very good version of the original.

Ingredients

Directions

1. Cook the potatoes in salted water until they are tender but still firm. Cool them in cold water. Thinly slice the potatoes and set them aside.

2. Cook the bacon over medium heat until evenly brown. Let the bacon cool on paper towels to absorb the grease. Pour the grease from the skillet. With kitchen shears, cut the bacon into 1/4-inch pieces and set aside.

3. Melt the butter in the skillet. Add the corn starch, sugar, water and vinegar to skillet and cook over medium heat until dressing is thick.

4. Add the potatoes, bacon, and green onions to the skillet and stir to coat. Cook until just warmed through.
    (07/12/2007)

By diana1117

Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe

Thank you so much for the recipes! These sound just like what I had at the deli, but just could not figure out all of the flavors. We all love it so I cannot wait to have some of my own. The deli is 2 hours from where I live so making it myself is a much better idea! (07/22/2007)

By spinwool

Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe

According to Paula and Horst, from the Black Forrest in Germany, bacon is not used in authentic German potato salad. Also, my husband, a professional chef, says the same thing. I guess the bacon must be an American thing. However, I still put it in mine, lol. (08/05/2007)

By Sandra

Ingredients

• 12 medium potatoes
  • 14 slices bacon
  • 1-2 large onions, cut fine
  • 1/2 tsp. celery seed or 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3/4 cup sugar

Directions

Boil potatoes; remove skins and slice. Fry bacon crisp and break over potatoes. Add onions (and celery, if using chopped celery) to bacon drippings, and cook until light yellow. Add flour and stir well. Add mixture of sugar, vinegar, water and salt (celery seed) to mixture. Cook until thickened; pour over potatoes and mix well.

By Robin from Washington, IA

We all know that potatoes are healthy and there are many different potato recipes. The Germans are big fans of potatoes and are famous for their potato salads.

Fry bacon crisp and crumble. Reserve grease. Add vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to bacon grease.