Green Bean Casserole Recipes

Category Casseroles
Green bean casserole is a delicious dish that many families serve at Thanksgiving. It is a simple dish to make and there are a number of ways to enhance the traditional recipe too. This page contains green bean casserole tips and recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

This is a great variation on the traditional green bean casserole. I love the cheddar cheese soup and the onion rings.

• 2 cans green beans, drained
  • 1 can cheddar cheese soup
  • 1 can French fried onion rings
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Mix beans and soup well in casserole dish. Add 1/2 can onions and mix gently.

Bake at 350 degrees F about 25 minutes. Sprinkle the rest of the onion rings on top and bake a few minutes more.

Servings: 6-8
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 1 can mushroom pieces
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onions
  • 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup buttered cracker or bread crumbs
  • paprika
  • 2 pkg. frozen cut green beans (10oz. size)

Directions:

Cook beans according to recipe on package until barely tender. Drain and place on bottom of 2 qt. casserole. Pan fry mushrooms and onions in butter in skillet for 1 minute. Add flour and salt and stir to blend. Add sour cream. Heat just until hot. Pour over beans. Top with crumbs. Sprinkle paprika over top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Serves 6-8

By Robin from Washington, IA

I've never cared much for canned potatoes but I recently made this dish and it was good.

Ingredients

Directions

In a bowl, mix all ingredients except crushed onion rings. Prepare a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Pour bean mixture in baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes. Take dish from oven and top with crushed onion rings. Return dish to oven for 12 minutes or till onions are browned. Can serve immediately or later.

*The mushrooms can be omitted or lessened, if desired

By Terri from NV

I love the green bean bake,you know the one with the green beans and mushroom soup? Well I have found that I can have this recipe however many times I would like to have it and a lot less work.

Ingredients

Directions

Drain green beans, add to kettle, add mushroom soup and mix. You can use the whole can of soup or less depending on your taste. Mix together on med heat till hot. Spoon into bowl, You can then add the onions in the can (if you must have them) sprinkle over top of beans and you are done.

That is it that is all you have to do you can prepare this in a jiffy, it still tastes good and you only dirty the kettle to make it. Just throw the cans away and you are done. I really love it this way to and is the only way I make it anymore. Hope you like it! It is something to make life just a little easier especially when pressed for time or reading a good book and need a veggie for dinner. LOL

By Darlene from Fairview, PA

Super easy and inexpensive to make.

• 1 can cut green beans
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. horseradish
  • 1 tsp. mustard
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:

Drain liquid from beans into saucepan. Stir in cornstarch until dissolved. Add lemon juice, salt, horseradish and mustard. Cook and stir until sauce begins to thicken. Add drained beans, and simmer 5 minutes.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

This is a neat variation on the usual green bean casserole recipe.

A family favorite.

Mix sliced water chestnuts and all except the onion rings. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees F. Take out and put onion rings on top. Bake another 15 minutes.

Place beans in buttered baking dish. Add cubed cheese. Dilute soup with liquid; add salt.

Mix all ingredients and bake in a covered casserole at 275 degrees F for 3 hours.

Bring beans to a boil and drain. Place green beans in a casserole dish in layers, alternating with layers of soup.

Fry bacon and onion until done. Add ketchup, vinegar and sugar. Mix well and cook until bubbly and thickened. Add drained green beans to ketchup mixture.

Recently, I wanted to make a green bean casserole, but not wanting to bake it for the hour the recipe calls for. I made the casserole up like I'd normally do, but nuked it in the microwave till good & bubbly, while at the same time, I had my oven preheating.

After taking the casserole out of the microwave, all I had to do was sprinkle on my crushed french fried onions and place it in the hot oven, just long enough to brown. It was just as good, too! So next time, you're short on time, you don't have to rely on convenience foods!

By Terri H.

I am making green bean casserole, but have to make four times what the recipe calls for. How do I figure out how long it should cook?

By Jennifer from CA

I am making green bean casserole. I have to make four times what the recipe calls for. How do I figure out how long it should cook?

By Jennifer

Green Beans Tips and Recipes

Here are some ideas on how to spruce up the flavor of green beans.

Italian Green Beans

You may already know this recipe. Grandmom showed me how to do this and I got addicted! An old Italian way to serve green beans starts with fresh beans. (I don't know of anyone in my family who has ever tried it with canned, so you're on your own there.) Anyway, clean the beans (top and tail them), and cook to a crisp/tender stage. Toss them in olive oil, garlic powder (or chopped fresh garlic), salt, pepper and oregano, all to taste. Chill for several hours or overnight. Serve cold, or at room temperature, as a side dish or salad. The longer this sits, the better it gets.

By Judi in Orlando

Garlic Green Beans

Here is a recipe for Garlic Green Beans that I think is quite yummy.

Ingredients

• 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. garlic, minced
  • 4 cups fresh or frozen green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • Fresh ground pepper
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 vegetable bouillon cube (I usually use chicken bouillon instead)
  • squeeze of fresh lemon juice (but I've never done this)

Directions

In large heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add garlic and beans, and saute over high heat to sear beans, stirring frequently so they do not burn. Add thyme, salt, and pepper to taste. Add water and bouillon. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until beans are tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife. Add more water, if necessary. Frozen beans will take only half the time. Add squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and toss well.

By Debbie

Two Green Beans Ideas

I like to prepare green beans by draining off the water, adding some chopped onions, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add to that a can of cream of mushroom soup. Simmer a bit until onions are crisp tender and serve.

Another way, if you are allowed bacon or bacon grease, is to put the beans in a pan, add 1-2 tablespoons bacon grease or bacon cut up small. Add new red potatoes. Put in some pearl onions and cook until beans and potatoes are tender. Delicious!

By gizmo81795

Mother's Bean Salad

Try this recipe (good for wintertime when fresh green beans are scarce or too expensive):

Cook 20 oz. of frozen, french-cut green beans according to package directions. While beans are cooking, combine 3 tsp. sugar or Splenda, 2 tsp. vinegar, 1 tbsp. sour cream or plain nonfat yogurt, 4 snipped green onions (stems and all), 1 tbsp. veg. oil and finely cut fresh parsley to taste in a mixing bowl. Stop cooking beans when crisply tender and drain. Add hot beans to ingredients in bowl, tossing gently. Cool at room temperature then refrigerate. Serve chilled; keeps in refrigerator several days. Makes about 2 cups.

By Lynn from Calif.

Fry To Remove Canned Flavor

Here is something I do with canned green beans. I drain all the liquid from the cans, and put the beans in a frying pan. I use a little olive oil, and fry them on medium heat, turning them every few minutes. You can use onion, and some ham or bacon to flavor them. Gets rid of the "canned" taste.

By Mary

Microwave Green Beans

Add 2-3 Tablespoons of bacon bits (canned or fresh not bacos) to canned green beans (liquid included) and microwave. Easy & Yummy.

By Melissa

Green Beans And Almonds

Cook the green beans if fresh or frozen. Heat beans if using canned. Place a couple of Tbsp. of slivered almonds in a spray coated skillet. Brown until crunchy over med-low heat, stirring often. Add to the green beans. If your diet allows, a bit of sugar added to the almonds makes them even crunchier. Hope this helps.

By Marian

Spruce Up With Bacon Or Onions

We eat great beans often. One way I spruce them up is with real bacon bits. I also sometimes use dried onions or both.

By Carey

Brown Sugar Green Beans

I drain off all liquid and add 1/8 cup brown sugar (not packed), 2 Tablespoons garlic granules (or garlic powder) and black pepper. Bring to a boil without lid. Boil until beans darken in color.

By Debbie in MO

Caesar Green Beans

Ingredients

• 1 20-oz. pgk. frozen cut green beans (or fresh)
  • 2 Tbsp. salad oil
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. minced onion
  • 1 glove garlic, crushed
  • 2 Tbsp. bread crumbs
  • 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
  • 1 Tbsp. butter, melted

Directions

Cook beans as directed; drain. Toss with salad oil, vinegar, onion, and garlic. Pour into an ungreased casserole dish. Stir together bread crumbs, cheese, and melted butter. Sprinkle over beans. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

By Trudy

Green Bean Salad

I use the canned french style beans for a salad by draining off liquid and adding some thinly sliced onion. Toss together and add low-cal Italian dressing (the longer it sits, the better it is).

By Betty

Answers:

Green Beans Tips and Recipes

Hi Teresa! I use green beans in place of macaroni for casseroles. I make tuna casserole using green beans instead of macaroni. I also use spaghetti sauce on green beans and bake them with a cheese topping. I also do as Mary mentioned, drain the liquid from green beans and I often add sliced mushrooms and heat them in a frying pan until they just start to brown. Use any of the seasonings you enjoy. We like garlic powder and sometimes bacon added in.

We try to avoid "white carb" foods and my husband just told me that he didn't think he could stand not to have the pastas and potatoes but he loves the way we're eating and he says he can "eat this every day"lol Love it! (03/07/2007)

By Luvyabye

Green Beans Tips and Recipes

I like my green beans to stay nice and green for salads, etc. So what I do is add a titch of baking soda just after dropping the beans in the boiling water. (03/07/2007)

By Starchild in VT

Green Beans Tips and Recipes

Please post all the green bean recipes you can. We are going to be inundated with green beans (30 pole bean plants and 30 bush bean plants. OOPS!), so I need some ideas! Thanks oodles! (04/11/2009)

By figgi

I cook the green bean casserole in my crock pot. I mix in some of the french onions for flavor. I brown some of the onions in the toaster oven for a crispy garnish on the top; or place the crispy onions in a bowl for each person to sprinkle on their own serving.

By Gloria

Answers:

Green Bean Casserole Tip

I recently heard of someone that fancied up the green bean casserole by using red bell pepper and bacon. Sounded so good! (11/21/2004)

By Tawnda

Green Bean Casserole Tip

We usually use Italian Beans instead of green beans. They are also green but have an interesting flavor and makes a delicious dish. They can be purchased by the can or frozen. They are wider, flatter beans.
(11/21/2004)

By Susan from ThriftyFun

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 Tbsp butter
  • 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 cups milk (2% ok)
  • 3 to 4 tsps. dry ranch style salad dressing mix
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. white pepper
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1-1/4 pounds fresh green beans, cooked until crisp-tender
  • 1 cup fresh bread crumbs toasted

Directions

White Sauce: Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Using a wire whisk, stir in milk; bring to a boil. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in dressing mix and white pepper; set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Remove half of the onion mixture; set aside. Add the mushrooms to onion mixture remaining in skillet and cook about 6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Combine mushroom mixture, green beans and white sauce in a 1-1/2-quart casserole. Combine bread crumbs with reserved onion mixture; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, about 20 to 30 minutes.

Tip: Use this easy method for making bread crumbs. Using day or two old bread, remove crust, break bread into quarter pieces and put into a blender. Process the bread pieces by using the on-off pulsing method until bread is in fine crumbs.

By Connie from Cotter, AR