Growing Sprouts

Category Vegetables
Growing your own sprouts at home can be fun and will ensure that you always have fresh sprouts on hand. This is a page about growing sprouts.

Sprouting jars are about $20 in your local healthfood store.

Instead, pick up either a sheet or a pre-cut plastic needlepoint canvas from your local dollar or craft store and cut them to fit the top your Mason jar and screw on with the canning ring!

Ta-Da!

Now you can sprout your seeds for salads or to start seeds for your garden in it!

I made a seed sprouter to sprout my own seeds for my salads, plus I always sprout my seeds before I plant them in my garden. This reduces the need to wait to see if my seeds will start growing, then weeding out others. Less cost to only grow what you want instead of wasting money on seeds that either don't grow or are pulled to thin out the crop!

Use a small jelly jar for canning or any smaller jar. Get a plastic lid from some other container and punch holes with a hole punch around it. My seeds didn't come out since I used larger seeds, but I even used lentils and they didn't come out either. Only VERY SMALL seeds might and then you might want to put a layer of cheese cloth or a nylon on the top of the jar and screw the ringed lid on! If you use a solid jar top, punch some holes in the top with an awl.

You can pour water directly into the holes, shake, and pour back out. I keep mine on the window sill over my kitchen sink and do it daily. Depending on the seed, they will start sprouting between one and two weeks!

Great for salads, crunchy and fresh. Great to sprout your new garden seeds for planting too!

Growing vegetable sprouts is fun, economical, and easy to do yourself. Not only are sprouts delicious, but they are also packed full of nutrients like protein, fiber, and vitamin C.

A variety of sprouts.

I always sprout seeds, especially in the winter. I add them to sandwiches, salads, soups, or even eat as snacks! I normally just use a mason jar with a piece or cheese cloth or a little screen material under the jar ring/cap to allow me to rinse and drain daily until they sprout.

A plate containing different sprouted seeds.

Make your own sprouts with lentils or raw shelled sunflower seeds in 3 days. Put 1/4 cup of them in a jar and rubber-band a scrap of nylon net onto the top of the jar.

I searched online for directions on making bean sprouts and found that a gadget is sold that resembled my salad spinner, so I tried using what I had and it works very well.

Fashion an inexpensive grow jar from a clean plastic drink bottle, netting (or plastic canvas) and a rubber band. Take a strip of plastic canvas about an inch wide and place it around the top of the bottle, after the bottle neck is removed.

Frugal sprouting bin from free clear plastic food container, file clips, and gauze or netting.Start with a clean clear plastic container and a piece of gauze or netting to fit snuggly over the top of the container.

Growing Your Own Sprouts

I do well growing mung beans in a jar and get good bean sprouts, but when I have tried to grow tiny alfalfa and radish seeds in jars and trays I have problems.

Videos

A nice video about growing bean sprouts using a sprouting jar.

How do I grow bean sprouts from mung beans? One that is crisp and juicy like that purchased fresh from grocers. My own efforts, none-too-successful involving rinsing sprouted beans twice a day and keeping them in the dark in decent temperature until maturity inevitably produced stuff that were long, thin and chewy.

YT in London

Answers

Best Answer

Here's a link to a site for sprouts:

www.sproutpeople.com/.../mung.html

You might figure out what you are doing wrong or if it is the beans themselves that are too old. I used to make them years ago, but don't remember much about it.

Susan from ThriftyFun

How do you grow alfalfa sprouts in jars? They could be bean sprouts or any other kind of sprouts, too.

By Joan from Calgary, Alberta

Answers

Best Answer

Soak alfalfa seeds in water for several hours or overnight. (I usually use about 2 tablespoons which makes approximately 2 cups of sprouts for me). Then using a tea strainer with holes smaller than the alfalfa seeds, drain and add fresh water each day for several days, or until the sprouts are the size you want.

Put the sprouts in a large bowl of water and swirl them around with your hands in order to get some of the seeds to fall off before draining water off. (I use a colander or a large tea strainer.) If you want them to be a darker green, put them in a sunny window for several hours before storing them in a covered jar or bowl in the refrigerator.

You can easily add fresh veggies to your diet by growing various sprouts in a small space on your kitchen counter. This is a page about growing sprouts next to your kitchen sink.

Growing Sprouts In A Jar - Sprout Garden

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Growing Your Own Sprouts

Two wonderful ideas I happened across this month are: Window Farms and sprouting (please don't confuse "window farms" with "windowsill gardens"). Neither of the two are exactly new ideas, but having fresh homegrown veggies in the winter has a great deal of appeal to me and I am MUCH interested in doing both!

YouTube has a lot of videos about both of the two ideas above and I watched in awe to learn that in tiny apartments in crowded cities a whole fresh homegrown salad can be grown PER WEEK using the concept given in the videos!

Sprouting also has a lot of appeal to me. You don't really need all the commercial items available to sprout successfully! A bulk store near me carries several different sprouting seeds. I called a seed store and was told they can't sell their seeds as "sprouting seeds" without a special room to keep them and a separate scale on which to weigh them. So they don't advertise them as such. A person would have to be knowledgeable enough on their own to decide which are and which are not safe for this particular purpose. Also you "spend" 1 part seeds and "earn" 7 parts sprouts! So it is a good way to stretch food inexpensively.

The picture is of old flower seeds I wasn't sure about being too old or not. I am sprouting in a recycled plastic cookie box and dryer lint ! "Never say never!"

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Editor's Note: Buy sprouting seeds from a natural foods store or seed supplier that are untreated seeds for sprouting. You can also use your own seeds leftover from last year that you have collected, if they were grown without chemicals. Don't use the growing seeds right out of the packets because many have been treated with fungicides which wouldn't be good to eat.

Window Farms

I decided to further my little sprout experiment with the flower seeds with the expired shelf life and they are doing quite well! I sandwiched them between clear plastic wrap doubled over so I could tape them to the window. (using a try of some sort under the plastic wrap helps). Leave about 1/2 to fold over and a little at the top so you can get moisture to them)

It's fun to see the sprouts with the full blown winter scene in the background! I just placed an online order for a variety of seeds/beans so I will soon be eating much preferred RAW food and hopefully become the picture of youth! ;)

I won't leave them there in the night. We are under a windchill advisory for -22F and I wouldn't want my sprouts to take chill and die !

By melody_yesterday

RE: Growing Your Own Sprouts

Jars

Here are my lentils I wait eagerly for! It is day 2 for them. I started a few blackeyed peas too. It is so much fun!

The jar is on it's side because more seeds can get maximum light.

I secured a piece of netting on the jar mouth with a rubber band as shown in some videos I watched.It works fine and is tight enough that I can do the rinse/drains needed without removing the sprouts from the jar.

By melody_yesterday

RE: Growing Your Own Sprouts

How do I grow alfalfa sprouts without buying the growing kit? I bought organic seeds, but I am not sure how to grow them at home.

By Linda Lewis from OK

Sherbet Tub

I use a big opaque sherbet tub (45 oz) size or a larger to-go container (ones with a clear top). I mix alfalfa and radish seeds together. Leave them in water for 24 hrs, kept in the dark and rinsed several times that first day. I use a fine mesh colander to rinse. After 3-5 days and rinsed every day, when they look sprouted, I put in a sunny window to green, then keep in frig and enjoy.

By Dori

Mason Jars

I use wide mouth Mason canning jars with canning lid rims and plastic screen. I add 2 soup spoons of alfalfa seeds, a cup of water, and soak for 24 hours. Then rinse and store at an angle upside down. They are rinsed twice a day until ready to eat. The sprouts love growing at about 75 - 80 degrees F.

By Sally

Home and Garden Gardening Growing VegetablesFebruary 27, 2012
😷
📓
🌻
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Sprouts.html