Is My Dog a Purebred Belgian Malinois?

The Belgian Malinois originated in the Flemish city of Mechelen. They resemble the Belgian Shepherd. There are physical characteristics that might help make a rough guess, but determining if your pet is a purebred Malinois is best done via a DNA test.

Please help. We want to know if our pup is a pure breed Belgian Malinois or a cross breed. His small face/head looks like a German Shepherd. I saw a Belgian Malinois (same age) and the head is large that's why I wondering and thinking that our pup is not a pure breed Mal. He is already 5 months old at present, but he only weights 16lbs. Your answer is highly appreciated.:)

By Jhay M.

Answers

Best Answer

Your dog looks like a Belgian Malinois; I am not sure. I have a Belgian Malinois.

She is beautiful with a very dark face and mahogany coloring. She is approximately 21" at the withers and weighs 44lbs.

Best Answer

My guess is yes he does look like a pure bred Malinois. I say this because my son, a police officer, has a K-9 of the same type. he just retired this past year.(the dog) They are a very intelligent breed. I would highly advise some sort of training, they learn so well. They are a thin dog also. I hope I've helped, you have a very nice looking dog.

Best Answer

Thats a Malinois shepherd mix. You can clearly see the shepherd coming through. Most Malinois are very slender. The shepherds are more stocky. Plus a Malinois head is usually thinner. Shepherds have a more broader head. I would guess a definitely shepherd in the mix.

The picture is a 6 month old Malinois female. Females are no doubt smaller in the breed most times.

I have a female dog and just want to know if it is a Belgian Malinois or not?

Answers

Best Answer

I don't think your dog is a purebred Belgian Malinois but she definitely looks as if there's some of that breed in her background. Her nose and her coat don't appear consistent with the Malinois.

Best Answer

I see a lot of Malinois in your pup, but the tail looks off so maybe there are some other genes in him.

Has the vet weighed in? The vet can see things I can't like his teeth, jaw, hip and bone structure.

Post back with an update. Hugs to the sweet pup!!

Best Answer

It looks like your dog has a high percentage of Malenois. Otherwise there may be some doberman and/or GSD.

My neighbors recently gave me their 5 month old puppy claiming he's a Malinois so I got curious and searched how other dogs of the same breed look. Now after comparing him with a few others he's kinda different. Could anyone tell me if he's a Malinois mix? If yes, I would like to know what kind of crossbreed he is. Nothing against it, I love all dogs.

Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

What a handsome guy! So sweet! Our local police dog was a pure malinois and looked a little different from your fur baby. I am thinking he is a Shepherd mix.

He looks a lot like this sweetie:

www.nextdaypets.com/Belgian-Shepherd-Malinois.htm

Your vet can look at his teeth, jaws, hips and bone structure to give you a good guestimate!

Wishing you a list lovely life together!!

Best Answer

Your pup does look like malinois.

The only other bred similar is German shepherd, but yours does not look it.

Reference:

petgearlab.com/belgian-malinois-vs-german-shepherd

I bought a Malinois puppy and I just want to see if you think it's purebred. She is 11 weeks old.

Answers

Best Answer

It looks purebred from the photos if you want an opinion :)

Best Answer

It sure looks like one to me, but only a DNA test can tell for sure.

Does anyone think my new puppy is a jet black Belgian Malinois? I'm looking for a dog breeder who could tell if she is a pure Belgian Malinois.

Answers

Best Answer

I guess the first question would have to be - what were you told when you acquired your new puppy? Do you not trust the previous owners to be telling you the truth about the breed? Did you receive any papers stating the breed? I'm assuming you sere told this puppy is a pure bred Belgian Malinois but the only way to tell for sure is with a DNA test as a breeder would not be able to tell you the blood line for sure and they would want a lot of information to even discuss it with you.

Dog DNA test kits are available from many pet stores, on-line (Amazon, eBay and others) and from your vet. DNA test kits cost $65 - 200 dollars but your vet can tell you more about these testa.
Here is a link that explains about DNA tests and also a link of a kit for sale but shop around if buying on line as there are many to choose from.

www.caninejournal.com/.../

www.wisdompanel.com/.../

It seems you have not had your puppy for their first vet visit so I would like to encourage you to do this as soon as possible as there are so many things that can happen to a young puppy in their first year. This would also be a good time to discuss your puppy's breed. Here is a link to all the things you should discuss with your vet.

www.akc.org/.../

Is this a normal dog or a cross Belgian Malinois? I'm about to buy it.

Answers

Best Answer

It appears to be a Belgian Malinois cross.

Is my dog a pure bred Malinois? It is hard to tell because I've seen them small and compact and I've seen them larger.

Answers

My vote is Malinois, Beautiful !

I also vote yes for your dog being a pure bred Malinois. It's a very good looking dog.

Your dog looks purebred to me.

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 19, 2020
🐛
🌻
🎆
😎
😷