Making Homemade Mod Podge

Mod Podge is used for so many creative projects, often costing a little out of your price range. There is hope! Here is a simple way to make mod podge for just a little over $1. You can be creative and thrifty!

Yield: enough for approximately 8 to 10 projects

• Elmer's school glue (4fl. oz.)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • container with top (jar with lid)
  • glass containers
  • tissue paper or wrapping paper
  • sponge brush
  • scissors

1. Take your glue and pour the contents in a jar.
  2. Add 1/3 cup of water.
  3. Place lid on tightly. Shake well. Ready to use!
  4. Cut tissue paper into small squares.
  5. Apply glue with a sponge brush. Layer on your papers and let dry. A final coat of the homemade mod podge can be applied after the tissue paper layer is dry.
  6. You can also use wrapping paper and apply a base paper and then a fussy cut image from a different pattern and lay it over the main background paper. Follow the same process of applying mod podge as in the tissue paper process.

9 More Solutions

Make your own Mod Podge for decoupage. I just covered the lid of a jewelry box I got for $.50. The inside was a lovely red satin and velvet, but the top was down to the cardboard.

I want to decoupage a picture onto a piece of painted wood with puzzle glue or regular Elmer's glue. Can this be done?

Answers

You can do this (I used Elmer's), but when I did this it got all wonky after a few years (it got all bubbly and peely). It also attracted bugs (silver fish).

Sad because it looked really pretty! Wishing you much better luck with your project than I had with mine. Maybe the new puzzle glues are better than when I did this in the late 1980s.

I do not believe there is a glue made that will not attract bugs (of some kind) but if you do not have a bug problem then your project will probably be safe for a long time.

I still have decoupaged pictures (paper to wood) from the 70's but we did seal ours so that probably made a difference.

I believe that Elmer's and puzzle glue are low quality glues that work but do not have the staying power that better glues have. So you should think about how long you would like to have this masterpiece around (in good condition).

Here are some links that have a lot of information on gluing paper to wood and also information on types of glue. It never hurts to research something before you gather your tools.

www.wikihow.com/Adhere-Paper-to-Wood

www.strathmoreartist.com/.../how-to-mount-artwork-to-a-piece-of...

www.stylemepretty.com/.../

Yes, it is possible.

Example on the Elmer's site: elmers.com/.../diy-decoupage-wood-slice

Answer this Question

Can you use fabric glue for decoupage?

By Betty

Answers

They are different and personally I would not use a fabric glue for decoupage. I am not always one to experiment when there are tried and true products for a purpose. One of the experts here may have better advice! This is just me as I hate wasting money if things don't work out the way I want them to. This article sums it up:

www.quora.com/Is-mod-podge-the-same-as-fabric-glue

Modge Podge is the usual glue for this.

Answer this Question

How do I make Mod Podge with South African products?

By Anne Marie from South Africa

Answers

Take Ponal wood glue (NOT the water proof variety)and ad water, 3 parts Ponal to 1 part water.

Answer this Question

What is the water to glue ratio to make decoupage glue, and can I use this recipe on fabric to tin and plastic?

By Kathy Roszak from Frankfort, IL

Answers

I have used equal parts of water and regular white glue to decoupage paper to something else. For a recent project where I was adhering cloth letters to wood, I used the decoupage glue and did not water it down. I "painted" 2 layers to make sure they stuck!

Tin and plastic should work. I did cancelled stamps on tin plates once. I would be careful to wash the plastic in Dawn to be sure there is no grease on the surface.

Answer this Question

I want to place decals on a painted wood surface. Will the mod podge recipe work and be clear when dry so the decal will not show cloudiness?

By Tom C.

Answer this Question

I am looking for the best recipe to make Mod Podge that is clear when it hardens and is easy to rub down with a 220 grit sand paper. Thank you.

How do I make decoupage out of white glue?

Does anyone have a recipe for decoupage glue like mod podge? It is so expensive.

Crafts MiscellaneousDecember 26, 2012
🎉
😷
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Homemade-Mod-Podge.html