Reusing Refrigerator Baking Soda

Category Tips
This is a guide about reusing refrigerator baking soda. Once a box of soda has been used to absorb odors in the fridge, it can be useful for a variety of other things.

No need to throw away that box of baking soda from your refrigerator when it is time to replace it. While it is not good for cooking, there are a lot of ways to use it up.

I also use the baking soda in my bathwater. It's known to really pull out toxins in your body when paired with Epsom salts and a few drops of lavender essential oil. I use 1/2 to 1 cup of both Epsom salt and baking soda. If you don't believe me try it yourself. The color of the bath water shows you just how much it pulls out of you, it's relaxing too!

It also helps clean off residue left by other cleaners and soaps. A tablespoon or two tossed right in the clothes washer can help with extra smelly laundry. Especially men's gym socks and pet beds, it really gets the smell out and whitens whites, but doesn't hurt darks. It can also be used to de-funk a washing machine or dishwasher. A couple tablespoons is all you need for that.

I have used it to help remove bird poop from perches and cages. It is safe to use around them, which isn't true of most cleaners. Baking soda also works great for cleaning walls and grout as well.

So now once the baking soda is done keeping my refrigerator smelling fresh I use it for cleaning, bathing, and I even use some sprinkled in the garbage cans to absorb smells too.

Reusing baking soda from the fridge. When my boxes of baking soda from the fridge and freezer need replacing I dump the 'used' baking soda into a zip bag and use it for cleaning. It does double duty this way. No reason to throw it out just because it gotten fridge-y smelling. I label the bag 'for cleaning'. It's great for dumping in dishwater when you have a icky greasy pan. It really cuts the grease and helps get rid of it. I also use it to soak off stuck on foods and in the slow cooker. Fill your slow cooker with warm water a couple drops of dish soap and a 1/4 cup of soda. It really works!

By Joyann from Visalia CA