Saving Money on Tea

Category Beverages
cup of tea with bag in cup
Whether you use loose tea or bags, there are a number of ways to reduce the cost. This is a guide about saving money on tea.

Tips for saving money on tea from the ThriftyFun community. Post your ideas!

Travel Mug For Bigger Tea

If I go out in the evening, I often take chamomile tea in my travel mug rather than coffee. I know my travel mug holds two cups of coffee yet the herbal tea tasted great even with the extra water. It got me thinking. Now when I have chamomile tea at home, I either use my travel mug or another large mug and enjoy more tea without using a second bag. BTW, you can also refill your regular size mug at home, although this definitely tastes weaker than using a larger mug.

By Katie in NY

Use Large Teapot And Reheat As Needed

I find that buying a good quality tea is worth the cost. From one tea bag, you can get a full pot of tea. I use an old coffee carafe (melita), then I just reheat it during the day, much easier than boiling the kettle every time.

By cailifouhnofthemist

Buy Teas At Bargain Stores

I buy all my tea at Big Lots, they have almost every flavor from peppermint to lemon to earl gray organic tea for $1.50 for 25 bags, then I always use each bag twice. You can also get great teas at the dollar store too.

By bambi2003

Order Directly From Manufacturer

I enjoy a specific type of tea that Bigelow tea produces. I have found that I can order it from them directly for less dollars than it costs to purchase at the local grocery.

By Jess

Use Small Teapot Instead of Mug

While visiting my daughter, I found a tea shop that sold teapots that only hold about 2-2 1/2 cups. I've found that I only need one teabag and still have a flavorful cup of tea, and I have a second cupful to drink now or to heat up in the microwave later!

By Mary in Indiana

Grow Your Own Herbal Teas

About 10 years ago I planted some starts of tarragon in a small herb bed, along with some lemon balm and sage. About 20 years ago, I planted Italian flat leaf parsley in a flower bed. They re-seed themselves every year and I chop and dry the leaves to make tea. A little tea ball simplifies the task, but loose herbs in the tea just make it prettier, I think. So my tea costs are zero per year. In fact, I enter some of them in the fair, so they make me about $8 a year. I don't sweeten my tea, but you may wish to. I have collected odd teacups and saucers from the thrift store to have tea. Now if only I could grow some of those pretty little sandwiches...

By Coreen

Use A Coffee Maker Instead

For about 10 years we have made tea in our Mr. Coffee pot with one tea bag (Lipton) for 8 cups of tea. I never use this same pot for coffee but the tea is brewed with the very hot water steeping through the one tea bag and is perfect. Getting 8 cups from one tea bag stretches the caffeine also.

By Jeannie in Pa

Buy Bulk Teas

Buy loose teas instead of teabags. Most Co-ops and Natural Foods sections carry teas and spices in bulk for a fraction of the price of the packaged variety. Sometimes, they are even brand name teas. For example, I found The Republic Of Tea's Mango Celyon in bulk for over 50% off what I would pay for the pretty tin.

Jess in Portland

Use a Tea Bag Twice

I like to drink green tea, especially Zen Green Tea which can be purchased at Starbucks. It's fairly expensive, costing about $5 to $6 per box. Sometimes you can find it on sale for $4. I usually drink 3 or 4 cups a day and what I have found is that I can get two strong cups of tea using the same tea bag. That cuts the cost of tea in half. The key is removing the tea bag from your tea and not leaving it in the cup as you drink. It only takes a few minutes for the tea to be infused into the water. Then set the tea bag aside and use it for you next cup.

By Lewis

I love Celestial Seasoning's Chocolate Caramel Enchantment Chai tea, but it's so expensive. I found that if I used a medium sized pot of water, one Chai tea bag, and one regular black tea bag, I couldn't tell the difference. Tasted just like straight chai! You can get a box of regular black tea for about $1.00 at any grocery store.

By Amy from Great Falls, MT