String Pull Abstract Painting
This is a fun abstract painting technique using pieces of string to spread the paints around in lieu of just paintbrushes. This is a fantastic all-ages craft.
Make sure to put down newspapers on your work surface. You can place your painted strings on them between pulls.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 1 painting
- 1 canvas
- acrylic paints in several colours
- 1 paintbrush
- plastic containers (I used bases of water bottles)
- string or yarn
- gloves (optional)
- Spread the base colour of your painting down on the canvas.
- Make sure it's a nice thick layer and that you paint the sides of the canvas.
- Pour other colours of paint into their own plastic container.
- Submerge a piece of string into each colour of paint.
- Lay the pieces of string around the wet canvas.
- Gently tap down on the strings to make sure they stick to the canvas.
- Pick up the end of a string and pull down and outward so it slides off the painting, mixing with the other colours, creating a marbled effect.
- Keep submerging strings in paint and pulling across the canvas until you're satisfied with your work of art.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!