Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

Category Reusing
Give your cheese containers a second chance at life. This is a guide about uses for Parmesan cheese containers.

The lids from Parmesan cheese containers fit nicely onto mason jars. Once I learned this, I began to look for items that would work well in these new storage jars.

I recently discovered that Winco sells bulk rainbow sprinkles. Since they are one of my favorite things to eat on everything from ice cream to cupcakes, I bought an entire bag. I put them in one of the jars and it was perfectly for dispensing them.

I recently saw a suggestion that a lid from a Parmesan cheese container would fit on a mason jar. Honestly I was skeptical of it at first. We use Classico spaghetti sauce at our house and the the jars are actually mason jars so I decided to try it. Amazingly it fit!

There are so many ways to use these jars with lids now. The would be great for cheese, especially if you bulk Parmesan in bulk at Costco, these are more manageable to sprinkle. You could also use them for beads. The possibilities are endless! I would love to know what other people could use them for.

By lalala... from Port Orchard, WA

There are numerous dishes that I enjoy sprinkling powdered sugar on, so I filled one with powered sugar. It works great and since the lid had a large opening too, I can easily spoon out a bigger amount if needed.

NOTE: Sharpie markers work great for labeling these jars. It scrubs off easily with a sponge too.

Don't throw away your plastic Parmesan cheese containers. They are perfect for storing baking soda, flour, and powdered sugar. The two sides of the container make it convenient for using a spoon or just shaking it onto a surface.

I reuse empty Parmesan cheese containers for flour dusting, powdered sugar dusting, small amounts of sugar when needed, cornstarch, and even dried fruit.

Put shredded cheese into a cleaned and dried plastic Parmesan cheese container with a dual lid. This makes sprinkling the cheese so much easier, with little mess.

Great for salads, tacos, pizzas, etc.

Recycle! I emptied a grated cheese container and took the label off it. Hum, what to do with this? I was in the process of making my iced coffee to take with me on my daily walk.

I grow a lot of herbs, after I take and dry them I remove it from the branches and grind them. The jars are perfect to store it in until I want to put it in smaller jars or mix some together.

They keep the herbs fresh. I store then in a dark place.

Here is a way to recycle a Parmesan cheese shaker container. After washing it tonight, I filled it with powered sugar and it is now ready for my busy baking season! I can shake the powered sugar more evenly now. Hope other busy cooks find this tip a good one!

By kathy ashlock from Southern Illinois

Answers:

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

This is a great idea! :-)

I do have to mention though that someone posted in the archives below about people with food allergies and food residue remaining even after washing the plastic container. I just did a little research and it is indeed true :-o Here's one thing I found:

The cheaper plastic containers are very porous which means have alot of microscopic holes which hold odors and trace elements of whatever was previously stored in them.

Anyway, I still love your idea but make sure no one eating that powdered sugar has a severe dairy allergy :-)

(11/16/2009)

By Ann

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

I keep one of these containers full of baking soda for at my kitchen sink. It does an excellent job of cleaning, deodorizing and polishing my stainless steel sink and it's cheap and non-toxic. (11/16/2009)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

I use them for instant potato flakes for adding to cream soups that are too thin. (11/19/2009)

By susan winship

You can use baking soda as a toxin free cleaner. I fill an empty Parmesan cheese container with the baking soda. It's the one with the a lid and pouring holes. It's easier to use than trying to sprinkle from the baking soda box. Then I spray vinegar over the sprinkled baking soda. This gives more control over where these products will cover.

By EvieSav from Savannah, GA

Answers:

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

That's a great idea. I'll save my next cheese container. (04/30/2009)

By Janet

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

This and the tips that preceded it startled me because I hadn't thought about this possibility before. I have a SEVERE dairy allergy, and occasionally do food-allergy trainings for different groups. If you reuse Parmesan cheese containers for any purpose, please be sure that you think of that if you're ever taking food to a potluck, etc., where someone may ask you about ingredients. Even trace amounts of an allergen can cause serious reactions in sensitive people. So, definitely reuse containers whenever possible--I'm strongly in favor of that!--but also remember it if someone asks you about dairy products in your house or food. (The same would go for any other common allergen; if you store herbs in a peanut jar, for example, remember that the herbs may now contain trace amounts of peanuts.) (04/30/2009)

By Weavre Cooper

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

What a great tip! I had been struggling to shake out my baking soda when cleaning so this is a great idea that I will definitely be using.
(05/01/2009)

By LAQUINTA KNOWLES

Save those bottles that the Parmesan cheese comes in and reuse them for your own spice mixes and baking soda or whatever else you want. It has a great lid to get the spoon in and leveled off or just use the sprinkle side!

By Christine from Spanaway, WA

Answers:

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

I buy the Baking soda cat box deodorizer (some scent) and use half of that and half straight baking soda into an old Parmesan bottle (from Costco, with the holes on one side and open on the other), shake it up and wa la! A good smelling cat box deodorizer that lasts twice as long! (01/09/2008)

By Michawn

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

I'm amazed that so many people had thought of uses for these containers before. I really appreciate your tip because I always threw them away and now I'll re-use them as shakers. Thanks for sharing. (01/12/2008)

By Fionar Booker

I have a couple parmesan cheese containers laying around and thought they would be good to use for something, but I cannot think of anything.