Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

Category Reusing
Give your cheese containers a second chance at life. This is a page about uses for Parmesan cheese containers.

The lids from Parmesan cheese containers fit nicely onto mason jars. Once I learned this, I began to look for items that would work well in these new storage jars.

I recently discovered that Winco sells bulk rainbow sprinkles. Since they are one of my favorite things to eat on everything from ice cream to cupcakes, I bought an entire bag. I put them in one of the jars and it was perfectly for dispensing them.

I recently saw a suggestion that a lid from a Parmesan cheese container would fit on a mason jar. Honestly I was skeptical of it at first. We use Classico spaghetti sauce at our house and the the jars are actually mason jars so I decided to try it. Amazingly it fit!

There are so many ways to use these jars with lids now. The would be great for cheese, especially if you bulk Parmesan in bulk at Costco, these are more manageable to sprinkle. You could also use them for beads. The possibilities are endless! I would love to know what other people could use them for.

By lalala... from Port Orchard, WA

There are numerous dishes that I enjoy sprinkling powdered sugar on, so I filled one with powered sugar. It works great and since the lid had a large opening too, I can easily spoon out a bigger amount if needed.

NOTE: Sharpie markers work great for labeling these jars. It scrubs off easily with a sponge too.

Don't throw away your plastic Parmesan cheese containers. They are perfect for storing baking soda, flour, and powdered sugar. The two sides of the container make it convenient for using a spoon or just shaking it onto a surface.

I reuse empty Parmesan cheese containers for flour dusting, powdered sugar dusting, small amounts of sugar when needed, cornstarch, and even dried fruit.

Put shredded cheese into a cleaned and dried plastic Parmesan cheese container with a dual lid. This makes sprinkling the cheese so much easier, with little mess.

Great for salads, tacos, pizzas, etc.

Recycle! I emptied a grated cheese container and took the label off it. Hum, what to do with this? I was in the process of making my iced coffee to take with me on my daily walk.

I grow a lot of herbs, after I take and dry them I remove it from the branches and grind them. The jars are perfect to store it in until I want to put it in smaller jars or mix some together.

They keep the herbs fresh. I store then in a dark place.

Here is a way to recycle a Parmesan cheese shaker container. After washing it tonight, I filled it with powered sugar and it is now ready for my busy baking season! I can shake the powered sugar more evenly now. Hope other busy cooks find this tip a good one!

By kathy ashlock from Southern Illinois

Answers:

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

This is a great idea! :-)

I do have to mention though that someone posted in the archives below about people with food allergies and food residue remaining even after washing the plastic container. I just did a little research and it is indeed true :-o Here's one thing I found:

The cheaper plastic containers are very porous which means have alot of microscopic holes which hold odors and trace elements of whatever was previously stored in them.

Anyway, I still love your idea but make sure no one eating that powdered sugar has a severe dairy allergy :-)

(11/16/2009)

By Deeli

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

I keep one of these containers full of baking soda for at my kitchen sink. It does an excellent job of cleaning, deodorizing and polishing my stainless steel sink and it's cheap and non-toxic. (11/16/2009)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

I use them for instant potato flakes for adding to cream soups that are too thin. (11/19/2009)

By susan winship

I have a couple parmesan cheese containers laying around and thought they would be good to use for something, but I cannot think of anything. Anyone know of any good ideas?

jenjoejace

Answers:

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

If any of your family members like cinnamon toast, you could wash them well, let dry, then fill them with a sugar/cinnamon mixture; when sprinkling on toast, you'd probably have to be sure to use the side of the container with the smaller holes though, unless you REALLY like cinnamon and sugar! (08/05/2005)

By Lisa Kless

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

Tonight I served crispy coated chicken, done with seasoned bread crumbs. These crumbs came in a shaker container identical to the parmesean cheese ones. Bread crumbs could be stored in the freezer in the cheese shaker and would be quite useable when needed.
Also.......i used mayonnaise instead of egg to coat the chicken first! It all got eaten.
http://www.teapotcottage.com (08/05/2005)

By Anonymous

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

i use them in the yard for spreading grass seed, weed killer, fertilizer and red-ant killer in small locations. i fill them up and label each so it is ready to use when i have only a minute and notice a bare spot.
i have also used them to spread baking soda around my carpets overnight to absorb odors. make sure your carpets are dry first, then just vacuum in the morning. cheaper than store bought fresheners, no fake smells and safe for kids and pets. also can be used to put out small grease fires on the stove.

In the bathroom i keep one in my shower filled with baking soda and tightly closed from the humidity. once or twice a month i sprinkle some on my damp hair, massage and rinse to remove shampoo and styilng aid build up, especially before perming or coloring. got this idea from my hair dresser. also makes skin really soft and cleans soap residue out of the bath tub at the same time. (08/06/2005)

By debbie

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

how about glitter ?!
(08/06/2005)

By melody_yesterday

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

I hav e taken them and washed them out and then use them with my special blends of baking soda, cinnamon or whatever i feel up to as a carpet freshener. also have one with baking soda and borax in the bathrooms for cleaning (08/06/2005)

By Shari Truelove

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

I clean and dry and use for colored rice or salt for the childrens art projects. to color just mix rice or salt with a bit of food coloring and rubbing alcohol and let dry.

You can also use it to sprinkle plant fertilzer on your smaller areas. (08/07/2005)

By Lisa

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

I use them for storing odds and ends. I keep one in a kitchen drawer with twist ties in it. Another one holds rubber bands (and I always have one or two wrapped around the outside of it for when I'm in a hurry or don't want the kids tangling up the whole container). I also put a ball in one and let the cats chase the container around b/c it's two toys in one! (08/08/2005)

By Melissa in Charlotte, NC

Uses for Parmesan Cheese Containers

I go to the bulk store and buy parmesan cheese in bulk and refill my parmesan cheese container. It's a lot cheaper than buying a new container of parmesan cheese! Also there will be no more extra containers to throw out later. (08/12/2005)

By brenda newton

You can use baking soda as a toxin free cleaner. I fill an empty Parmesan cheese container with the baking soda.

Save those bottles that the Parmesan cheese comes in and reuse them for your own spice mixes and baking soda or whatever else you want.

Better Living Green Living ReusingFebruary 21, 2012
📓
🎂
🌻