Uses for Whey

Category Dairy
This is a guide about uses for whey. If you have whey leftovers after making homemade cheese or yogurt, don't throw it out. Whey has numerous uses, here are just a few ideas.

Now that I'm making yogurt, I always have whey leftover. It can be used to replace liquid in baking, diluted for watering plants, as a starter for yogurt, as an addition to pet food,and can be added to the compost pile.

This picture shows frozen whey. You can freeze whey and use as needed.

Source: Read online - various sources

Top Comment

I'm watching carbs and sugar. I was told whey has a lot of carbs. I could be wrong, though.

Top Comment

I agree, after looking at the nutritional contents. Lots of carbs and sugar, not much protein.

ndb.nal.usda.gov/.../102

This is something I learned from my late great-aunt Azizi. Besides using whey in your cooking, you can use whey as a face toner or on your hands to balance your pH and rejuvenate your skin. I like to dip towelettes in a cup of whey and rest it on my face, then rinse it off.

You can also pour a few cups of it into a warm bath for an all-over glow. For shiny hair, comb some into your hair after shampooing and rinsing. Let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse out.

These make really light and fluffy pancakes. I am going to freeze the rest for great breakfasts on busy mornings.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 14-16 pancakes

• 2 cups flour
  • 1 - 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups liquid whey
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 - 4 Tbsp oil

1. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
  3. Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
  4. Ad

5. Grease a griddle and heat up. It is hot enough when a few drops of oil dance on it.
  6. Drop 1/4 cups of batter on the griddle. They are ready to turn when bubbles begin to form, in about 2 minutes.
  7. Cook the other side about 2 minutes.
  8. Serve immediately, or freeze for future use.
  9. Ad

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes