Uses for Whey

Category Dairy
This is a page about uses for whey. When you have whey leftover after making homemade cheese or yogurt, don't throw it out. Whey has numerous uses, here are just a few ideas.

Now that I'm making yogurt, I always have whey leftover. It can be used to replace liquid in baking, diluted for watering plants, as a starter for yogurt, as an addition to pet food,and can be added to the compost pile.

This picture shows frozen whey. You can freeze whey and use as needed.

Source: Read online - various sources

This is something I learned from my late great-aunt Azizi. Besides using whey in your cooking, you can use whey as a face toner or on your hands to balance your pH and rejuvenate your skin. I like to dip towelettes in a cup of whey and rest it on my face, then rinse it off.

You can also pour a few cups of it into a warm bath for an all-over glow. For shiny hair, comb some into your hair after shampooing and rinsing. Let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse out.

In many countries where cheeses are made at home, thrifty cooks use the whey as a soup base. My mother was from Poland. She made a sauerkraut soup that reminds me of this because of the slight tang. This recipe can be doubled.

bowl of Whey Soup

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

These make really light and fluffy pancakes. I am going to freeze the rest for great breakfasts on busy mornings.

Whey Pancakes on plate

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Many gardener's use whey to fertilize their plants. It contains nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and other minerals that are beneficial in small amounts.

Too much has the inverse effect and can harm you plants.

Whey for Healthy Plants - miniature rose

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyJanuary 4, 2018
👒
🌻
😷
👔
🐛

Generated 2020-04-27 19:08:42 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️