Uses for Whey

Category Dairy
This is a guide about uses for whey. If you have whey leftovers after making homemade cheese or yogurt, don't throw it out. Whey has numerous uses, here are just a few ideas.

Now that I'm making yogurt, I always have whey leftover. It can be used to replace liquid in baking, diluted for watering plants, as a starter for yogurt, as an addition to pet food,and can be added to the compost pile.

This picture shows frozen whey. You can freeze whey and use as needed.

Source: Read online - various sources

Top Comment

I'm watching carbs and sugar. I was told whey has a lot of carbs. I could be wrong, though.

Top Comment

I agree, after looking at the nutritional contents. Lots of carbs and sugar, not much protein.

ndb.nal.usda.gov/.../102

This is something I learned from my late great-aunt Azizi. Besides using whey in your cooking, you can use whey as a face toner or on your hands to balance your pH and rejuvenate your skin. I like to dip towelettes in a cup of whey and rest it on my face, then rinse it off.

You can also pour a few cups of it into a warm bath for an all-over glow. For shiny hair, comb some into your hair after shampooing and rinsing. Let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse out.