Uses for Whey

Category Dairy
This is a guide about uses for whey. When you have whey leftover after making homemade cheese or yogurt, don't throw it out. Whey has numerous uses, here are just a few ideas.

Now that I'm making yogurt, I always have whey leftover. It can be used to replace liquid in baking, diluted for watering plants, as a starter for yogurt, as an addition to pet food,and can be added to the compost pile.

This picture shows frozen whey. You can freeze whey and use as needed.

Source: Read online - various sources

Top Comment

I'm watching carbs and sugar. I was told whey has a lot of carbs. I could be wrong, though.

Top Comment

I agree, after looking at the nutritional contents. Lots of carbs and sugar, not much protein.

ndb.nal.usda.gov/.../102

This is something I learned from my late great-aunt Azizi. Besides using whey in your cooking, you can use whey as a face toner or on your hands to balance your pH and rejuvenate your skin. I like to dip towelettes in a cup of whey and rest it on my face, then rinse it off.

You can also pour a few cups of it into a warm bath for an all-over glow. For shiny hair, comb some into your hair after shampooing and rinsing. Let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse out.

In many countries where cheeses are made at home, thrifty cooks use the whey as a soup base. My mother was from Poland. She made a sauerkraut soup that reminds me of this because of the slight tang. This recipe can be doubled.

You can use any vegetables you have, and add meat or chicken. I had potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and kale from my garden that was frozen. I made my soup in the instant pot on the soup setting. If I were making this conventionally, I would have simmered it about an hour and a half. It tastes even better the next day!

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: About 40 minutes in the instant pot

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

• 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 potatoes
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • oil for sautéing
  • 3 carrots, sliced thinly
  • 2 cups kale (I used half a quart sized bag of kale that I froze)
  • 3 cups whey
  • 2 chicken or beef bouillon cubes
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Cube potatoes.
  2. Save potato peelings and other vegetable scraps in a ziplock bag. When it is full use to make vegetable stock.
  3. Set Instant Pot to sauté. Coat bottom of liner with oil. Sauté onion and garlic until the onion is translucent.
  4. Add the carrots, potatoes and kale. Add the whey. If the whey doesn't cover the vegetables, add water until vegetables are barely covered.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Ad

7. Set the Instant Pot to the soup setting. Let the pot release the pressure naturally.
  8. You may serve the soup as is, use an immersion blender, or just mash up the vegetables a bit with the back of a spoon.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

These make really light and fluffy pancakes. I am going to freeze the rest for great breakfasts on busy mornings.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes