Vacuum Cleaner Product Reviews

Woman Using Vacuum Cleaner
There are a number of important considerations when purchasing a vacuum, and it helps to have other people's experienced opinions. This is a guide about vacuum cleaner product reviews.

Product: Dyson Canister Vacuum

Model: DC 23 Turbine Head

Manufacturer: Dyson

Cost: $234.50

I have bought the Upright Ball Animal Dyson vacuums for myself and as a gift for my daughter in the past. I love Dyson, that is until this fiasco.

The Dyson DC 23 Turbine Head was on sale - it's normally $399.00 and I got it for $234.50, which is about $234.00 overpriced. What a huge disappointment. No suction at all. I mean you have to go over a spot or cat hair (forget cat hair) several times and it still has no success.

After my other experience with Dyson vacuums this is a huge, huge letdown and would advise others not to believe the ads or waste their money.

By bakedbean from Amesbury, MA

Product: Vacuum Cleaner

Model: Bissell Cleanview 11 (Bagless)

Manufacturer: Bissell

Cost: $89 plus tax at K Mart

I love this vacuum. I have a Kirby that went out, and I got tired of repairing it each time because it always cost me $24.00 to repair. I am so proud of this vacuum. I have lots of animals and it gets all the hair up. I was worried it wouldn't be very good, but wow was I surprised! I give it a 5 star rating!

That with my Wondermop and Swiffer that I make my own Swiffer pads for and cleaner is all I need to keep my carpets and floors clean!

By Robyn from Hampton, TN

Model: Breeze Vision Canister

Manufacturer: Dirt Devil

Cost: $81.54

I have laminate floors, a cat, and grandchildren. I used to use a Swiffer and it did an OK job, but I got tired of washing the pads and buying new ones because I feel the pads don't get clean enough.

I bought the Dirt Devil Breeze Vision Canister and WOW what a difference. My laminate floor and kitchen floor are dirt and dust free. It has a HEPA filter that holds the dust. I'm allergic to the cat and I can tell a difference since I started using the Breeze. While I'm vacuuming the floor, I vacuum the couch and chairs also to remove the crumbs left by my grandchildren (I believe my husband contributes also).

I bought the Breeze at Walmart.com as it's not available in the store. Walmart has free shipping site to store. I paid about $85.00 pre-tax. I did a Bing comparison price search and it listed the price as $95.54. The Walmart site as of today is $81.54, so maybe it's on sale.

The Breeze is not good at all on my bedrooms' raised fiber carpet, but I have two large oriental type rugs and I've found that if you use a stroke coming towards you (not back and forth) it works great. The Breeze is worth every penny.

By Granny2889 from near Charlotte, NC

My tip is to go right out and buy the Hoover Z Bagless Upright! I just got it and I love it. I has a super long cord so I can go so much further without unplugging. Love the bagless deal! The clear canister that collects the dirt is great so you can really see what you are getting up. Actually makes this busy mother want to keep on vacuuming! Love it!

By Tracy from San Diego, CA

What is the best upright vacuum cleaner? One that uses bags and also bagless styles.

By beechiegirl1953 from Fair Oaks Ranch, TX

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

I bought a bagless Bissell at Walmart and it is the best one I have ever had. has the hose and attachments also and cost 47.something. I had one of the Kirbys and just too heavy to use but is good. I had one of the ones can't think of the name of it and they give you a iron with it cost over 300. and it was the worst one I have ever had. Sold it for 5.00; This Bissell is light weight goes over carpet easily picks up dog hairs and sand and grit from the outside. I have 3 dogs and live in the country. It is a great vacuum and doesn't cost an arm and leg either.

I am looking for a really dependable, sturdy vacuum. We have a baby and a pug (read heavy shedder). I hate to spend money on a a vacuum until I have some suggestions. Does anyone know how good a Dyson is? Is is worth the extra money to get the pet hair model? Thanks...

Sheila from Garland, TX

Hello,

I have plenty of experience with Dyson, and I can tell you they're extremely reliable. Expensive, but reliable. There's not too much difference from each model, and any of the DC or Animal line should do.

If you'relooking for cheap and effective, the Hoover Tempo Widepath retails for about 70 bucks online, and if you have pets and willing to spend a little more money you can go with a Bissell Pet Liftoff or a Hoover Windtunnel.

I have some reviews on my site, and think you might find it useful.

Sincerely,

http://vacuumsensei.com

I got so tired of spending money on vacuum cleaners that would break after a year or so. I went out and bought a sweeper. One that has a long handle like a broom and is flat and is not electrical. I am so happy with mine. I even use it on my laminate floors and it does not damage them since the brush is not automatic. Good luck!!

I vote for Dyson as well. I love mine. I swear if the house was on fire I'd go for it before my jewelry. There has not been a person that I am aware of that has been sorry they purchased one.

There is a built in filter that needs to be cleaned regularly (see instruction manual). The air is sweet smelling and it does GREAT to pick up the pet hair from my little dog. My house doesn't smell like a pet at all. I joke that we could make a clone from the amount of pet hair it picks up.

You will likely feel very dirty and filthy after using a Dyson. I believe it sucks up the core of the earth right through the foundation of the house. It is unbelieveable the amount of crud it can find. You'll love the super long electric cord and hose for wand cleaning. I think you have about an 18' reach with the wand and crevice tool extended.

I have seen loads of deals in the past month. Keep your eyes peeled for a deal now that the holidays are coming. You should find a great deal soon. So far both Target (pink model) and Best Buy have offered a $100 gift certificate back with the purchase of a Dyson.

Join the Dyson Divas. You won't be sorry.

Granny

I love my Dyson too! I got one off of ebay about 2 years ago and it is going strong. It is the best vacuum I have ever used. The best part about is that you can take the whole thing apart and run it through the dishwasher to really get it clean.

Jess

I do not have much space to store a big vacuum nor do I have the time to deal with one that needs a bag. Can someone tell me of a very good vacuum (not water) that picks up everything for an affordable price of under $70.00.

Erica

I bought a used Electrolux vac. It has a bag, but it's not like you have to change it all the time (disposable bag).

It's a small cigar shaped canister type, but a good vac repair shop should have several types to choose from for a very reasonable price. They are normally fully reconditioned and have a warranty.

Or... try ebay!

I bought a nice Dirt Devil, bagless at WalMart for 68.88. Works like a charm! Good Luck!

I highly highly recommend the dirt devil featherweight, i use my vacuum everyday and am extremely tough on it. i can't believe its lasted 5 years and still works great. i believe these are around $50 bucks. don't believe the hype about expensive models.

I would try a Bissell. We had the expensive Kirby and also an inexpensive Dirt Devil and our bagless Bissell is the best yet. Not sure if it's less than $70 but now would be a good time to find one on sale. I know ours was less than $100.

We used to have a bag-type electrolux vacuum cleaner. When it "kicked the bucket" I bought a bagless canister-type Dirt Devil. We figured that we could buy a new store bought vacuum cleaner once every 2 years for the next twenty or more years compared to buying a new electrolux. And by that time the electrolux would be needing major repairs. The dirt devil had so much suction that the rug changed color in one area that we always walked over. (No more dirt in the carpet). The electrolux bags were so expensive. With being in the country and having 3 kids tracking stuff in and a cat and a dog in the house I used a lot of bags. Now I just empty the canister.

If you do get a canister buy an extra filter so you can clean one while using the other one. Your suction will remain at its best then.

Any suggestions on canister vacs that work well on carpet or bare floors? I would like to purchase a dependable one at a good price! I prefer one that is light.

Thanks,
Lisa from Fayetteville, GA

We have birds, cats, and dogs as pets and a concrete floor in our house. Top that off with the fact that I keep horses in my back pasture and am constantly tracking in mud, hay, etc. Seed and pieces of wood from the the birds' toys richochete like crazy in most vacuum cleaners making double-duty on the cleaning! So I've tried QUITE a few! The one that I found worked the absolute best while being extraordinarily comfortable is the Magic Blue by Kenmore (Sears). The only reason I don't use one now is because I needed something with more bag capacity because we really do have an inordinate amount of stuff to vacuum daily. However, a house with a normal number of pets or even kid messes would be handled easily by the bag. To save money, buy the bags bulk on ebay or online.

The vacuum has adjustable suction power, an adjustable height handle (so no stooping over), awesome suction power that did NOT lose strength (unlike most other vacs I've tried), etc etc. Second best is the one I'm using now which is a Bissell Lift Off Revolution Deluxe. It's not a canister, but you can use it like one (and I always do). It's bagless, very filtered, hasn't lost suction power yet (amazing here as birds are very dusty). See, it comes with a hose that you unhook at the back and put the (included) canister vac-type stick and floor tool on. It really is a great vacuum.

I just realized that my Bissel that I just recommended has an additional feature that I'm thrilled about! You can push a button and the main vacuum motor totally separates from the body (which usually would vacuum floors) and you can wear it with a strap around you so you can freely walk around the house (within limits of the chord or course, which is remarkably long). I had NO idea! I was just moving the main part of the vacuum when I wanted to move. You could still do that if you want a very light vacuum, or wear it over your shoulder like i just did.

Also very easy to take apart (and the hoses are clear so you can find any clogs) in case you get anything caught up in there. I only just did that for the first time (which is another miracle around here) and very easily removed a big piece of something I vacuumed up without even having to sit down.

Nat

I have used for the last 5 or so years a shop vac. I love it. It cost about $40 with most of the attachments that I wanted. I also got a central vac head from Ebay for about $75. I can pick up any and everything with mine. Water, dirt you name it. I will always use the shop vac. Oh! I can even blow off the carport instead of sweeping. They are not very girly or pretty, but I love mine. I have tile throughout our house.

I had a canister vac which I loved, found it at Sears the day after Thanksgiving. It quit working but I kept the floor attachment so I can use it with my other vaccuum. I wouldn't buy another one, as I found that even though they are really great, the canister part bumps on the corners of the wall and the paint eventually chips off. Now I use my good vac with the canister attachment, I'm able to avoild those corners and still get good results on my floor. By the way, I only use this on my wood and tile areas. For carpet, I still like the upright.

I love my Sear's canister vacuum. I gave away a 1200.00 upright ( Kirby ) and got this one. It does a much better job and is so easy to use! It also came with a little upholstery attachment that is wonderful on getting up pet hair. 5 stars to Sear's!

PS: I have cement floors too. No carpet.

What vacuum cleaner would you recommend for hard surface floors?

Diane from Amity, AR

DYSON! It is the best vacume we have ever used. Plus, you can go right from vacuming the carpet to hardwood without having to adjust any setting. It does it automatically. Good luck!

You may laugh, but I use a shop vac on my tile floors and also on what carpet I have. I love it. It will pick up any and every thing. Best $39 I have ever spent.

http://www.amaz  /qid=1153950589/

I love my Dirt Devil Vac'n'Mop. It can dry vacuum and wet mop (not at the same time, of course). It uses swiffer or clorox ready-mom pads. I guess you could also use whatever frugal substitutes for these pads people have come up with on this site.

If you read the customer reviews on amazon.com, and read the product manual on the dirt devil website, you will see that most people who had complaints did not read the manual and were not using the vacuum the way it was meant to be used. The amazon customer reviews give it only 3 out of 5 stars but I would give it 5.

I bought a Dirt Devil Swivel Glide MVP a few years ago when I had carpet because it looked like it would be easy to push (I have a back problem). I love this vacuum, with the swivel rollers it is easy to manuever, doesn't clog and still does a great job on my tile floors. I don't recall I have ever had to replace a belt either. It's not expensive.

Most of my floors are hardwood and the only thing I do besides mop, is use a 24" wide dustmop sprayed with End Dust. I also use it on the tile in the bathrooms. That is what the professionals suggested I use and it works great. They always look shiny.

I am handicapped in a motorized chair. I have been thinking of getting the Dyson Digital Slim vacuum. It has been advertized on TV a lot recently. It is cordless and looks easier to handle. I cannot handle a standard vacuum. I would like to know if anyone has one of the "slim" ones or has used one. It is expensive, but I have money put aside for it. What do you think of this model?

By Linda

What is the best hand held vacuum for thick carpeted steps?

Donna

I need to buy a canister vacuum with cleaning attachments. I'd appreciate hearing about brands that you've had good results with. Thank you!

By Carly K.

Everyone seems to rave over the Dyson vacuum cleaners. I find it to be too expensive to ask for as a bridal shower gift. What light weight vacuums do you recommend for pet hair and steam? My floors are wood, carpet and tile. Please help!

Kayla

I'm looking for an easier way to clean my laminate wood floors. It's tiring bending over sweeping pet hairs, dust, and crumbs and collecting them in a dust pan. This is my first house with this type floor and it shows ever hair, crumb, and blade of grass walked in. I'm wanting a cordless, but some of the reviews on some of them say the battery only lasts 15 or 20 minutes. I'm 72 so it must be lighter than most vacuum cleaners. Please tell me about one you have; how long can you vacuum with it before recharging. Also do you vacuum area rugs with it? Your likes and dislikes please.

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

Any comments about the Shark Navigator vacuum? Good or bad? Rating? Thank you!

By HawkeyeBob from Phoenix