Clothing WashersAppliances

Washer is Dispensing Fabric Softener Too Early

I have an Amana washer, and of lately it hasn't been draining all of the fabric softener during the spin cycle. It is leaving some in the bottom of the drum which the clothes soak up and turn blue. I have cleaned the dispenser and inside the agitator with no luck. I have tried running the extra rinse cycle too with the same result. Any suggestions?

By Shane from Lincoln, NE

Best Answer

If you don't want to call a serviceman, quit using liquid fabric softener and see how the washer works without it. If you absolutely must use liquid softener, add it yourself without using the dispenser (when the rinse cycle starts to fill with water) and see how that works. It sounds like something is wrong with the automatic softener dispenser.

Best Answer

I no longer use fabric softener and have switched to using 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle.

When I remove the clothes from the dryer they are so soft.

How do you do this with a front loader?

Best Answer

I use white vinegar most of the time myself. But when I sue fabric softener (for my fleecy stuff) I add it once my wash has started then I mix it with water in the dispenser.

Before I had this machine, I used the Downy ball. Works great, never an issue. You might want to check out repairclinic.com to see if there might be an issue. Very helpful site.

I fill the softner compartment with softner and it dispenses right away while the washer is filling. So try adding softner with the detergent. Maybe this will work for you.

My front loader did this also; dispensed the softener with the detergent right at the start. I found that if I added some water to the liquid soap in the soap dispenser it raised the level of the liquid high enough to "register in machine's brain". Then when I added the softener into the softener dispenser it stayed in the dispenser until the rinse cycle (the dispensers are designed with siphon/gravity action).