Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Permed Hair Not Curly Enough

It can be confusing as to what to do to fix a perm that is not as curly as you wanted. This is a guide about permed hair not curly enough.

I went to a salon this morning for a perm. The goal was to get some curl for my long semi straight hair. I showed her pictures and we agreed to try with the knowledge that the perm may not turn out exactly how I want. When I left the salon I only had a mild curl. As my hair has dried throughout the day it has straightened more and more. Does this mean the perm didn't take or will I be suprised when I get to wash it and apply product to it in 3 days? This is my first perm so I am not sure what up expect. Thank you!

I already have a call into the salon. The women who did it is out until Monday. I'm meeting with another women tomorrow. They had me sign a waiver before they did it saying no refunds if the perm does not turn out exactly as I hoped for. I guess I'm hoping they will offer to do something to fix it. I didn't have the expectation it would look prefect but after paying $150 you would expect that I would get something out of the deal besides hair that stinks.

I'm not trying to win a contest, so I have a question for you. You said, 'as your hair dried throughout the day'. Does that mean you left the salon with wet hair? And if you did, and even if your hair is long, why would it take a period of 'throughout the day' for your hair to dry?

It is doubtful that your hair will be any curlier after a three day wait and a shampoo and the use of 'products'. The longer the hair, the thinner the sections must be when wrapping the hair. In some cases, it would not be uncommon for a successful perm to require twice as many perm wave rods as would be used on short hair. I'm sorry to say that many hairdresser will try to get by with far less. This may well be the root of your problem, under processed hair. If this is the case, the hair can be successfully re permed.

People make mistakes and should be given a chance to make them right. However, in this case, I'm not so sure I would want the same hairdresser to do the corrective work.

With many years in the profession, it was a rare occasion for me to ask that a waiver be signed. That was reserved for unusual cases. I take it that signing a waiver was commonplace at this salon. Unless it was a school, something is not quite right, here. It would be nice if you were given a refund and the corrective work done elsewhere.

That waiver sounds like a catch all to cover their derrieres regardless of the quality of work they do. I think it would be in your best interest to find another salon.

This means that your perm didn't take. I would go back there and get my money back or at least credit at that salon for future things done. I certainly wouldn't get a perm there in the future and you cannot get another perm for a few months as it will damage your hair too much most probably.

No matter what kind of wave are you signed your hair should not be the same way it was when you arrived there, that's no more cruel than you already had. That has nothing to do with the waiver they charge you a lot of money and gave you nothing. So demand that they give you credit in the same amount that you paid. If not I would go to Better Business Bureau or other places that are provided because you got ripped off. If anything your hair will straighten more it will not curl anymore than it already is. I do know a few people that have threatened to advertise their problem on Facebook of their lousy service there. That got the places to cooperate better. They do not want to get a bad rep.

I am sorry this happened to you. I hope that the salon came good for it and offered in some way to help you. Have your hair permed over again may be very damaging to your hair. If you haven't already done so you may want to wait a few weeks before you do it again. Wishing you the best of luck.

I used to have very very long hair. After it grew to a certain length, a perm would not work on it, as the weight of the hair pulled it straight. That might be your case as you stated your hair was long. Also, if your hair has conditioner in it, it won't take well, and sometimes if you are pregnant it won't take either.

I agree with likekinds that signing a waiver for just a "normal" perm seems suspicious.

I had very long thick hair for many years and my hairdresser used many, many curlers and only went 1/3rd to 1/2 of the length of my hair. This always turned out nice for me (but it took forever!).

Maybe you need to just move on and try to find another hairdresser that will work with you and maybe be honest about what to expect.

If the hair is healthy in all other respects, just under processed, there should be no problem in giving the perm over. A competent hairdresser would take many factors into consideration, including that the hair was previously processed to a limited degree.

If a perm is given to long hair (past shoulders), the weight of the hair can put tension on that hair near the scalp causing the perm to appear lax there. However, if the perm was given properly on healthy hair, there would be just as much curl near the scalp. It would not appear so because of the tension. Proof of this can be seen by cutting the hair short. This happens with naturally curly hair, as well.

Hairdressers are licensed by a state board of cosmetic art examiners. Being licensed by the state does not mean what it use to. A successful perm/ cold wave depends on several factors, the two most important being elasticity and tensile strength. When was the last time you saw a hairdresser test the hair for elasticity and tensile strength before proceeding with a perm?

Long hair takes much much longer to wrap. A lot of hairdressers will cut short the processing time because they know the perm solution has been on the first wrapped hair longer than usual. Hence, under processed hair and little curl. There is an easy way around this but most hairdressers wont do it. That is to wrap the hair using very dilute solution or even water. Only after the entire head is wrapped should full strength solution be applied, beginning with those areas most resistant, usually the nape and temples.

Give me a client with healthy hair, having proper elasticity and tensile strength; and I will give her a perm that will last til it's cut off. It doesn't matter if her hair is down to her kidneys.

I just got a perm 2 days ago, but I don't think my friend put the rollers tight enough. What can I use to get more curl in my hair?

It can be done over after about 2 weeks. In the meantime, give your hair deep-conditioning treatments.

It's not that it wasn't rolled right enough, it was done on rollers that were too big for the curl that you wanted. Next time, request smaller rollers.

there are products you can buy that enhance a natural curl, and I would assume that they also enhance the perm. I know for a fact that these work.

SOme of these are Ultra Defining Gel Strong Hold No-Crunch Styler http://www.ulta  lsImpprod4630083

Curvaceous Ringlet http://www.ulta  sImpprod13881031

Beyond the Zone Noodle Head Curling Creme

$5.99

Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream

$7.99

Nuance Salma Hayek Blue Agave Wave Enhancing Styling Swirl

$9.99

last 3 from http://www.allu  -creams-under-20

Go on Amazon there's a curly there that it's amazing. It'll cost 100 bux but it's worth it. It's a big ball looking thing and it sucks your hair in and you hold it for 15 seconds then your done you do that with each piece of hair and there's like three settings it's amazing. And for a quick one, after you get lot of the shower but your hair in braids leave it in over night then when you wake up take your hair out of the braids and voila it's curly.

Let your hair air dry after washing (i.e., leave yourself enough time you don't need to blow dry it before leaving for work). And while it's drying, dab a bit of gel on your hands, rub your palms together then scrunch the gel into your hair. I'm not sure that's an adequate word: scrunch. With gel-covered palms, grab handfuls of almost-dry hair and squeeze. Repeat. I've found it to be remarkably effective.

you can redo the perm ... check the box to see how soon ....and when you redo it... wait at least 48 hours before wasing hair... good luck

Perm rods should not be wound tightly, as this can cause hair breakage. If your friend proceeded to perm your hair without fully understanding the results you wanted, or without the knowledge to obtain those results, any corrective work you may choose to have done, should be done by a professional.

The two main reasons for permed hair not being as curly as desired are, the perm rods used were too large in diameter and produced a wave rather than a curl. The other is that the perm was under processed (assuming your hair had the proper elasticity to be permed). If too large rods were used but the perm was fully processed, you should accept what you have. Do not subject the hair to more processing.

If the correct size rods were used but the hair was under processed, then the perm can be given again.This could be considered a delicate procedure and should be carried out only by a well seasoned cosmetologist. (The hair probably should be wrapped with water, not wave solution. The solution should be applied after all hair is wound. The solution more than likely should be diluted by a third with water or a placenta conditioner such as Hask). See a professional.

I do not believe you can find better advice than that given by likekinds and - as is his usual thing - very simple clear instructions.

I was always told by my "beautician" to not shampoo my hair for at least 3 days, or longer if possible. Of course, I was always waiting for the minute the 3 days were up but my perms always did great. Maybe you could try this after you remedy your curls.

I used body wave perm all i had rollrd up in pink but not curly y

Home Perm
Perm Tips and Tricks
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips StylingJanuary 25, 2017
Girl with red curly hair.
Managing Curly Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Girl with permed hair.
Coloring Permed Hair
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 7:05:28 PM on 10.0.2.218 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.