Permed Hair Not Curly Enough

Category Styling
A woman in the middle of getting a perm at a salon.
It can be confusing as to what to do to fix a perm that is not as curly as you wanted. This is a guide about permed hair not curly enough.

I had a perm done yesterday, at a salon. When I got home I noticed that some bits at the back looked like it hadn't taken and a piece at the front of my hair. I thought I would ring the salon just to mention that. I was though in general happy with the perm, but when I woke this morning it looked like the perm has dropped out!

I have a bit of frizz at the front and the rest looks straight. Does anyone know what could have gone wrong? I'm going back to the salon on Thursday as that's the day the lady works. I've not added any products, combed it, or washed it. I haven't even run my fingers through it.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Make an appointment for them to fix it at no charge, or to refund your money.

I went to a salon this morning for a perm. The goal was to get some curl for my long semi straight hair. I showed her pictures and we agreed to try with the knowledge that the perm may not turn out exactly how I want. When I left the salon I only had a mild curl. As my hair has dried throughout the day it has straightened more and more. Does this mean the perm didn't take or will I be suprised when I get to wash it and apply product to it in 3 days? This is my first perm so I am not sure what up expect. Thank you!

Answers

Call the salon. The perm did not take. They should either redo it or refund your money.

I just got a perm 2 days ago, but I don't think my friend put the rollers tight enough. What can I use to get more curl in my hair?

Answers

It can be done over after about 2 weeks. In the meantime, give your hair deep-conditioning treatments.

It's not that it wasn't rolled right enough, it was done on rollers that were too big for the curl that you wanted. Next time, request smaller rollers.

there are products you can buy that enhance a natural curl, and I would assume that they also enhance the perm. I know for a fact that these work.

SOme of these are Ultra Defining Gel Strong Hold No-Crunch Styler http://www.ulta  lsImpprod4630083

Curvaceous Ringlet http://www.ulta  sImpprod13881031

Beyond the Zone Noodle Head Curling Creme

$5.99

Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream

$7.99

Nuance Salma Hayek Blue Agave Wave Enhancing Styling Swirl

$9.99

last 3 from http://www.allu  -creams-under-20

Go on Amazon there's a curly there that it's amazing. It'll cost 100 bux but it's worth it. It's a big ball looking thing and it sucks your hair in and you hold it for 15 seconds then your done you do that with each piece of hair and there's like three settings it's amazing. And for a quick one, after you get lot of the shower but your hair in braids leave it in over night then when you wake up take your hair out of the braids and voila it's curly.

Let your hair air dry after washing (i.e., leave yourself enough time you don't need to blow dry it before leaving for work). And while it's drying, dab a bit of gel on your hands, rub your palms together then scrunch the gel into your hair. I'm not sure that's an adequate word: scrunch. With gel-covered palms, grab handfuls of almost-dry hair and squeeze. Repeat. I've found it to be remarkably effective.

you can redo the perm ... check the box to see how soon ....and when you redo it... wait at least 48 hours before wasing hair... good luck

Perm rods should not be wound tightly, as this can cause hair breakage. If your friend proceeded to perm your hair without fully understanding the results you wanted, or without the knowledge to obtain those results, any corrective work you may choose to have done, should be done by a professional.

The two main reasons for permed hair not being as curly as desired are, the perm rods used were too large in diameter and produced a wave rather than a curl. The other is that the perm was under processed (assuming your hair had the proper elasticity to be permed). If too large rods were used but the perm was fully processed, you should accept what you have. Do not subject the hair to more processing.

If the correct size rods were used but the hair was under processed, then the perm can be given again.This could be considered a delicate procedure and should be carried out only by a well seasoned cosmetologist. (The hair probably should be wrapped with water, not wave solution. The solution should be applied after all hair is wound. The solution more than likely should be diluted by a third with water or a placenta conditioner such as Hask). See a professional.

I permed my hair last night. I have really long hair and used medium sized rollers. We followed all the directions as told. It didn't hold well though. I woke up to it being wavy and some parts even looking straight. My mom says she should've left it longer, but my grandmother thinks she should've used 2 boxes and left it on longer since my hair is so long. I'm wanting to redo it tonight. What do I do?

By Hali L

Answers

Maybe you should have spent the money and had a pro do it.

Personally, I would not re-do the perm right away. I'd live with it for awhile. But, I have no experience with perms. It is just my opinion from reading about other people's experiences. There are several ladies on here who are hair stylists. Hopefully, they will see your question.

Do not reperm your hair, it will fall out. buy another perm of the same brand but reverse the process, use your neutralizer first, comb it through, then rinse out. then use the perm solution, comb it through and rinse thoroughly. this will return your hair to being straight. wait 6 - 8 weeks and go to a reputable salon to have a perm done. (speaking from experience, tried to perm own hair and fried it thoroughly).

straightning with perm or curling with perm is still using the product so what youre saying is wrong ...her hair will break abit either way as shes still putting product on straight after a perm...

i recently went to get a perm professionally and i have the same results you have. it's a bad perm, i think you should try to find the best professionals

Your hair is just too long... cut it

Anonymous

If it's the ends that look straight, and your hair is particularly long length, you should try piggy-backing curlers. That's essentially using two rollers for each section to insure the bottoms get the same exposure to the treatment as the roots. I think this is what I need for my hair too, because my ends came out straight. You can look up videos of how to piggy-back and rolling long hair.

I got a perm yesterday and it seems like it just keeps getting straighter. My hair is long and layered. I was only at the salon for maybe two hours which surprised me. I just knew it was going to take much longer. The solution was on my hair for about 20 min. Was that long enough? And how do I know if she used enough rollers? It looked fine when she first took it down, but then she picked it to trim my ends which confused me too. Shouldn't she have done that first? I did tell her that it looks like its getting straight. She said to put leave in conditioner in and wait until I can wash it. She said that it should look better after that. Is that true? I'm so confused because the shorter hair seems straighter.

My stylist gave me a perm today and it looked cute after he diffused it a bit with some mousse. But then he curled it with a curling iron. No hair spray, no setting spray, but curled it. Now the curls are falling out, but my hair is straight. Should I be concerned, or will they come back with my wash on Saturday? He's an award winning stylist who has been doing perms since the 80s and it was hard to get an appointment in the first place because he's so popular. Not sure what to do, or whether this is normal. Thanks!

My hair was one length just below my shoulder blades. I showed the stylist a pic of a shag. I needed a perm as I had straight hair. She first cut the length off, then permed, and then cut style. The neck fringe is poker straight and the fringe in front of my ears is uneven and poker straight. I had this style years before and they cut the style then permed and it came out great. Should I let them know or let it grow out and then go back and ask that they do it the way that worked for 5 years?

After having the same hairdresser for years, I moved away and went to a new hairdresser for a perm. She left the neutralizer in for 25 minutes. Some hair was curled, some straight, and it didn't last very long. Does anyone know if it's because of the neutralizer being left on too long? I've asked my old hairdresser (she doesn't know) and even googled it. I can find no answer.

I got a flash wave perm yesterday and the hair dresser brushed my hair straight so she could trim it. It dried in the mean time. Will my hair not be as wavy as I wanted it since it will be like this until I can wash it?

Why not use a spray bottle filled with water, spray your hair and find out just how wavy it's going to be? And next time, perhaps ask your stylist to trim before perming?

If you are not happy with the result, you should return to your stylist. It is their responsibility to provide the result that you requested. If the stylist does not comply, take your complaint to the manager.

You paid for this service and should expect a good result.

I recently got my hair permed, like literally about 10 or so hours ago. When we finished I noticed my left side of the hair didn't take the curl shape as much, it looked more like a wavy curl. But I didn't mind I thought it's wet maybe in the morning it'll look curlier. The rest of my hair looked good to me. I left went home and fell asleep. When I woke up I wasn't sure what to feel about my hair. It looks like if I left it braided at night and woke up with frizzy poofy braided curls, if you guys know what I mean. This is the first time I have gotten a perm and I was a little nervous because my hair normally doesn't hold regular curls so I was hoping this would do the trick. Guess not. Now I don't know what to do.

By Emily A. from Los Angeles, CA

I had a perm like that once. They had used a "cold wave" on it. The cold wave also left my head with a bad rash. Now, for the past 20 years when I get a perm, I have gotten a "heat wave". They are much gentler on your hair and scalp and work great every time.

Go back to your hair stylist, they can reverse the perm and your hair will be straight again. Do not have another perm for a few weeks.