Permed Hair Not Curly Enough

Category Styling
It can be confusing as to what to do to fix a perm that is not as curly as you wanted. This is a guide about permed hair not curly enough.

I got a perm yesterday and it seems like it just keeps getting straighter. My hair is long and layered. I was only at the salon for maybe two hours which surprised me. I just knew it was going to take much longer. The solution was on my hair for about 20 min. Was that long enough? And how do I know if she used enough rollers? It looked fine when she first took it down, but then she picked it to trim my ends which confused me too. Shouldn't she have done that first? I did tell her that it looks like its getting straight. She said to put leave in conditioner in and wait until I can wash it. She said that it should look better after that. Is that true? I'm so confused because the shorter hair seems straighter.

You need to go back and they should fix it for you. Unfortunately, it didn't take.

If you just got this yesterday,go back to have it fixed. If they can't fix it you are entitled to a refund.

Two hours is the average time for a cut, perm, set and comb out. If your hair is quite long, it could have taken longer.

There is no way for the reader to tell if the 20 minute processing time was adequate. Perms come in different strengths and different types of hair would require different processing times with the same perm solution.

Again, there is no way for the reader to know if enough rods were used. If your hair is quite long, and depending on the size rods used, there probably should not have been a space anywhere on your scalp to lay your little finger. Many hairdressers skimp in this area and don't use enough rods.

The little ringlets at the end of the hair is the most sought after part of a perm. All cutting of the hair should be done prior to giving a perm so these are not cut off. If hair ends need to be cut after the perm, something was done incorrectly. Maybe the ends were overprocessed and burned. It could be that the hairdresser needs a refresher course in this area. I would never seek the services of a hairdresser who cut the hair after giving a perm.

A conditioner, leave in or otherwise, will have no effect on how much curl you have nor how much you keep. After expressing your concern, the hairdresser should have offered to make an appointment to examine your hair.

All hairdressers make mistakes. The better ones offer to correct their mistakes at no expense to the client. Trust is built this way.

I do not agree that you should go back to the same hairdresser to have any corrective work done. The fact that she cut your hair after the perm coupled with the fact that all she advised was the use of a conditioner upon learning your hair seemed to be getting straighter, tells me you need to find another hairdresser. If she does corrective work, the results might be worse than what you have now.

Until you can wash it? This is nonsense. If you got a good curl and then waited 48 hours, you could shampoo your hair 5 times in one day and it would have no effect on the curl.

Wet your hair now. It is the only way you can tell if you have a decent curl. A properly given perm does not get straighter. However, over the course of months, it can lose some of its spring and bounce.

If the shorter hair has less curl, I would guess there was uneven application of the perm wave solution. The hairdresser should have done no less than 5 test curls, two of them in areas where the hair is known to be more resistant.

Count your losses. Find another hairdresser, one who will be honest about whether they will be able to correct your hair to your satisfaction.

I'm betting she blunt cut your hair with scissors. If she did, this is in direct defiance of curly ends. Consider a paint brush. A new one is blunt. It does not curl. After many uses, it wears down to a taper. Then it begins to develop a curl. If your ends were blunt cut, they should not have been.

You said your hair was long and layered. If it was quite thick, it still may have had enough weight to pull against the new perm. If this is the case, your hair should have been thinned and slithered, preferably with a razor. Make no mistake, this should have been done prior to giving the perm.

If your hair was long and medium to thick, rod placement should have been as shown in this picture.

I had a perm done yesterday, at a salon. When I got home I noticed that some bits at the back looked like it hadn't taken and a piece at the front of my hair. I thought I would ring the salon just to mention that. I was though in general happy with the perm, but when I woke this morning it looked like the perm has dropped out!

I have a bit of frizz at the front and the rest looks straight. Does anyone know what could have gone wrong? I'm going back to the salon on Thursday as that's the day the lady works. I've not added any products, combed it, or washed it. I haven't even run my fingers through it.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Make an appointment for them to fix it at no charge, or to refund your money.

By all means, keep your appointment to go back. By any chance are you pregnant or on high hormones? I have been told by numerous hairdressers that if you are in either of these states, that perms don't take.

Have you gotten a perm before? I would go back to the salon to get it fixed. For the inconvenience they may even reimburse your money, or give you a discount in the future.

They will fix it for you, don't be afraid to go there and show them!!!

I went to a salon this morning for a perm. The goal was to get some curl for my long semi straight hair. I showed her pictures and we agreed to try with the knowledge that the perm may not turn out exactly how I want. When I left the salon I only had a mild curl. As my hair has dried throughout the day it has straightened more and more. Does this mean the perm didn't take or will I be suprised when I get to wash it and apply product to it in 3 days? This is my first perm so I am not sure what up expect. Thank you!

No matter what kind of wave are you signed your hair should not be the same way it was when you arrived there, that's no more cruel than you already had. That has nothing to do with the waiver they charge you a lot of money and gave you nothing. So demand that they give you credit in the same amount that you paid. If not I would go to Better Business Bureau or other places that are provided because you got ripped off. If anything your hair will straighten more it will not curl anymore than it already is. I do know a few people that have threatened to advertise their problem on Facebook of their lousy service there. That got the places to cooperate better. They do not want to get a bad rep.

I am sorry this happened to you. I hope that the salon came good for it and offered in some way to help you. Have your hair permed over again may be very damaging to your hair. If you haven't already done so you may want to wait a few weeks before you do it again. Wishing you the best of luck.

I used to have very very long hair. After it grew to a certain length, a perm would not work on it, as the weight of the hair pulled it straight. That might be your case as you stated your hair was long. Also, if your hair has conditioner in it, it won't take well, and sometimes if you are pregnant it won't take either.

I agree with likekinds that signing a waiver for just a "normal" perm seems suspicious.

I had very long thick hair for many years and my hairdresser used many, many curlers and only went 1/3rd to 1/2 of the length of my hair. This always turned out nice for me (but it took forever!).

Maybe you need to just move on and try to find another hairdresser that will work with you and maybe be honest about what to expect.

If the hair is healthy in all other respects, just under processed, there should be no problem in giving the perm over. A competent hairdresser would take many factors into consideration, including that the hair was previously processed to a limited degree.

If a perm is given to long hair (past shoulders), the weight of the hair can put tension on that hair near the scalp causing the perm to appear lax there. However, if the perm was given properly on healthy hair, there would be just as much curl near the scalp. It would not appear so because of the tension. Proof of this can be seen by cutting the hair short. This happens with naturally curly hair, as well.

Hairdressers are licensed by a state board of cosmetic art examiners. Being licensed by the state does not mean what it use to. A successful perm/ cold wave depends on several factors, the two most important being elasticity and tensile strength. When was the last time you saw a hairdresser test the hair for elasticity and tensile strength before proceeding with a perm?

Long hair takes much much longer to wrap. A lot of hairdressers will cut short the processing time because they know the perm solution has been on the first wrapped hair longer than usual. Hence, under processed hair and little curl. There is an easy way around this but most hairdressers wont do it. That is to wrap the hair using very dilute solution or even water. Only after the entire head is wrapped should full strength solution be applied, beginning with those areas most resistant, usually the nape and temples.

Give me a client with healthy hair, having proper elasticity and tensile strength; and I will give her a perm that will last til it's cut off. It doesn't matter if her hair is down to her kidneys.

I'm so sorry that you have had to go through this. It sounds to me that they did something very wrong. When I got a perm on my long hair in the 90s, I left the salon with very curly hair.

I know that the chemicals can be very damaging to your hair so perhaps you are lucky that they didn't actually ruin your hair. I would ask for a refund and go somewhere else. Even a beauty college should do a better job than that! Good luck.

I just got a perm 2 days ago, but I don't think my friend put the rollers tight enough. What can I use to get more curl in my hair?

there are products you can buy that enhance a natural curl, and I would assume that they also enhance the perm. I know for a fact that these work.

SOme of these are Ultra Defining Gel Strong Hold No-Crunch Styler http://www.ulta  lsImpprod4630083

Curvaceous Ringlet http://www.ulta  sImpprod13881031

Beyond the Zone Noodle Head Curling Creme

$5.99

Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream

$7.99

Nuance Salma Hayek Blue Agave Wave Enhancing Styling Swirl

$9.99

last 3 from http://www.allu  -creams-under-20

Go on Amazon there's a curly there that it's amazing. It'll cost 100 bux but it's worth it. It's a big ball looking thing and it sucks your hair in and you hold it for 15 seconds then your done you do that with each piece of hair and there's like three settings it's amazing. And for a quick one, after you get lot of the shower but your hair in braids leave it in over night then when you wake up take your hair out of the braids and voila it's curly.

Let your hair air dry after washing (i.e., leave yourself enough time you don't need to blow dry it before leaving for work). And while it's drying, dab a bit of gel on your hands, rub your palms together then scrunch the gel into your hair. I'm not sure that's an adequate word: scrunch. With gel-covered palms, grab handfuls of almost-dry hair and squeeze. Repeat. I've found it to be remarkably effective.

you can redo the perm ... check the box to see how soon ....and when you redo it... wait at least 48 hours before wasing hair... good luck

Perm rods should not be wound tightly, as this can cause hair breakage. If your friend proceeded to perm your hair without fully understanding the results you wanted, or without the knowledge to obtain those results, any corrective work you may choose to have done, should be done by a professional.

The two main reasons for permed hair not being as curly as desired are, the perm rods used were too large in diameter and produced a wave rather than a curl. The other is that the perm was under processed (assuming your hair had the proper elasticity to be permed). If too large rods were used but the perm was fully processed, you should accept what you have. Do not subject the hair to more processing.

If the correct size rods were used but the hair was under processed, then the perm can be given again.This could be considered a delicate procedure and should be carried out only by a well seasoned cosmetologist. (The hair probably should be wrapped with water, not wave solution. The solution should be applied after all hair is wound. The solution more than likely should be diluted by a third with water or a placenta conditioner such as Hask). See a professional.

I do not believe you can find better advice than that given by likekinds and - as is his usual thing - very simple clear instructions.

I was always told by my "beautician" to not shampoo my hair for at least 3 days, or longer if possible. Of course, I was always waiting for the minute the 3 days were up but my perms always did great. Maybe you could try this after you remedy your curls.

I permed my hair last night. I have really long hair and used medium sized rollers. We followed all the directions as told. It didn't hold well though. I woke up to it being wavy and some parts even looking straight. My mom says she should've left it longer, but my grandmother thinks she should've used 2 boxes and left it on longer since my hair is so long. I'm wanting to redo it tonight. What do I do?

By Hali L

Maybe you should have spent the money and had a pro do it.

Personally, I would not re-do the perm right away. I'd live with it for awhile. But, I have no experience with perms. It is just my opinion from reading about other people's experiences. There are several ladies on here who are hair stylists. Hopefully, they will see your question.

Do not reperm your hair, it will fall out. buy another perm of the same brand but reverse the process, use your neutralizer first, comb it through, then rinse out. then use the perm solution, comb it through and rinse thoroughly. this will return your hair to being straight. wait 6 - 8 weeks and go to a reputable salon to have a perm done. (speaking from experience, tried to perm own hair and fried it thoroughly).

straightning with perm or curling with perm is still using the product so what youre saying is wrong ...her hair will break abit either way as shes still putting product on straight after a perm...

i recently went to get a perm professionally and i have the same results you have. it's a bad perm, i think you should try to find the best professionals

Your hair is just too long... cut it

I got a flash wave perm yesterday and the hair dresser brushed my hair straight so she could trim it. It dried in the mean time. Will my hair not be as wavy as I wanted it since it will be like this until I can wash it?

Why not use a spray bottle filled with water, spray your hair and find out just how wavy it's going to be? And next time, perhaps ask your stylist to trim before perming?

If you are not happy with the result, you should return to your stylist. It is their responsibility to provide the result that you requested. If the stylist does not comply, take your complaint to the manager.

You paid for this service and should expect a good result.

I recently got my hair permed, like literally about 10 or so hours ago. When we finished I noticed my left side of the hair didn't take the curl shape as much, it looked more like a wavy curl. But I didn't mind I thought it's wet maybe in the morning it'll look curlier. The rest of my hair looked good to me. I left went home and fell asleep. When I woke up I wasn't sure what to feel about my hair. It looks like if I left it braided at night and woke up with frizzy poofy braided curls, if you guys know what I mean. This is the first time I have gotten a perm and I was a little nervous because my hair normally doesn't hold regular curls so I was hoping this would do the trick. Guess not. Now I don't know what to do.

By Emily A. from Los Angeles, CA

I had a perm like that once. They had used a "cold wave" on it. The cold wave also left my head with a bad rash. Now, for the past 20 years when I get a perm, I have gotten a "heat wave". They are much gentler on your hair and scalp and work great every time.

Go back to your hair stylist, they can reverse the perm and your hair will be straight again. Do not have another perm for a few weeks.