Roof Repair Assistance for Seniors

How can my mom qualify for roof repair? It will need to be done soon. The roofer went out today to inspect, as we need a roof certification for insurance purposes that she needs vs the one she now has.

The house was built in 1960 and needs new roof soon. If the roofer finds it needs repairs just to get her roof cert now or before 2-14-14, she might have to stay w/her same insurance company. This is not good. We found a better carrier, but they require the roof cert and that will cost!

Is there any help around for seniors on "fixed income". She's 81 yrs. old and a widow.

By SL from Visalia, CA

Best Answer

There should be an organization in your state called Opportunities For Independent Living. Some people refer to it as OIL. Keep in mind that different cities in the same state might have a different name for the organization. Where I live it is called Independent Living Center, in another city in this state it is called Opportunities for Independent Living.

Look in your phone book and call any organization whose name sounds like it might be something like that. Or call your local Department of Social Services/Welfare Office and see if they know of an organization that can help you. there is income guidelines and if they do the repairs and your mother has to move out of the house for a certain reason within a certain time frame she will have to pay back a pro-rated amount. A few years ago my sister had OIL make some repairs on her house, and because she had to go into a nursing home within the specified time frame she had to pay back a certain amount of money. Also speak to your pastor he might be willing to take up a special anonymous offering in church, but I don't know if that would amount to enough.

I am 66 years of age and I live on a fix income I'm in need of a roof repair bad. When it rains it rain inside of my house. The ceiling in my bedroom have fell in from the rain. Now it is leaking in my hallway and middle bedroom. Please help.

Best Answer

Regarding your insurance... .first, you are not locked into your old one. You can cancel and change it at any time, not just renewal time. The billing is simply pro-rated. Also, your current insurance also can come and do an inspection at any time as well. I used to work for an insurance company and we just pulled them at random to do inspections.

You may also want to check with nearby vo-tech and building programs at the high school. I had a shed built by a high school building trades class. They did excellent work, and I only had to pay for the materials (no labor charge).

Best Answer

In Texas, I recently inquired about getting my house painted and windows repaired/replaced. There were options for many different cosmetic or badly needed repairs, paiting, depending on your needs. There is a section about paining homes, roofs replaced, all the way to plumbing repairs, electrical and etc. If you are low income you have to meet certain criteria to receive assistance.

In Fort Worth it goes through the City of Fort Worth and some are called "weatherization". There is another section about living arrangements for seniors.I found assistance information by putting in search "assistance for seniors with repairs, roofing and painting." That brought up several options to read for your own situation. Good luck, oredwine